How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Celery Salt
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
2008/05/05 14:27:40 (permalink)

How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns?

I haven't been there in a couple years, but I remember they oil the grill, toss the shredded taters in a ring, flip 'em once and all done!

My question is what kind of oil are they using (and how much), mine always come out stuck to each other. And what kind of potatoes, frozen, pre-boiled etc?

33 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 14:50:15 (permalink)
    Their potatoes come refridgerated in a carton from Sysco if I remember correctly.
    Wannabchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 14:57:30 (permalink)
    OMGosh Celery Salt!

Everyone thought I was crazy when I said they are my favorites......

First off they use dehydrated potatoes.....You can buy them in the box...

1. Hydrate them as soft as you want them - the mix has onions, etc in it.
    2. Drain really well - sometimes I wring them out in a cheesecloth.
    3. Mix oil (any kind you want) I found that we like walnut oil the best.
    4. With some pats of butter - the real stuff - not margarine.
    5. Put potatoes in the pan - and no peeking! Let them brown for about 6 minutes on each side at medium high.
    6. Add sour cream, green onions, whatever you want.

Yummers - add on the side some thick sliced bacon and a belgium waffle with fresh berries and I'm there!

My kids were shocked by this - but they love it!
    Jeremy, my son said "You are right Mom - they are money" lol

They always thought I made them fresh....silly kids

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 15:03:05 (permalink)
    I'm on the phone with my friendly neighborhood Waffle House manager, who has personally cooked many orders of potatoes for me.

She says Waffle House now uses Kaola Gold Pan & Grill, which arrives solid like Crisco.

Their potatoes are Waffle House brand dehydrated hashbrowns, packaged in a milk carton-like container. They soak them in water and drain before cooking.

A serving of hashbrowns calls for 1/2 ounce oil (melted Kaola).

Hope this helps.

And she says I better not wake her up to ask such a question again.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 16:41:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MellowRoast

Their potatoes are Waffle House brand dehydrated hashbrowns, packaged in a milk carton-like container. They soak them in water and drain before cooking.

this explains a lot.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18441
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 19:39:38 (permalink)
    I have to wonder about this soaking of dehydrated potatoes. Just this noon I watched as one of the Waffle House cooks opened a cardboard (?) milk-type container and poured the shredded potatoes into a pan in the sandwich/salad prep unit.

I was busy eating a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit at the time, so I might have missed something -- but I never saw any water for soaking.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 19:56:01 (permalink)
    They make a decent waffle...but then they hand you some sort of mystery "butter?" I enjoy watching the short order cooks doing their thing more than I enjoy the food. But, the food is ok. They provide a valuable service to travelers..They are consistant and almost always have good service.

I never saw the hash browns soaking in water...I know they hit them with that Koala Gold stuff. They hit everything with Kaola Gold. I really admire the efficiency they have established. They have taken cooking to order to as basic and routinized an operation as you can possibly get it. Even the pork chops are cut to exact weights for them so they know how long to cook them for each and every time. So, they can be consistant even when cooking to order.

It's a very, very well managed company.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 20:03:31 (permalink)
    And they make some very ,very nice breakfasts...for a fair cost!
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 20:42:19 (permalink)
    Michael, I used to have to use the dehydrated hashbrowns at one of the first restaurants. We would open the top like a milk carton, fill with hot water to the indicated level, then fold the top back up.
    It took probably an hour or so for the water to be absorbed.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 20:59:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blizzardstormus

Michael, I used to have to use the dehydrated hashbrowns at one of the first restaurants. We would open the top like a milk carton, fill with hot water to the indicated level, then fold the top back up.

Ah, OK. Thanks.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 21:48:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blizzardstormus

Same thing I used to use at Country Kitchen. We never had to pour any water off the potatoes as they soaked up the recommended amount of H2O.
    We used Pan and Grill oil as the cooking oil on the flat top. Cook for about 5 minutes on one side and then flip once.

David O.
    MellowRoast
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 22:38:49 (permalink)
    Clarification:

Bear in mind I was speaking with a Waffle House manager I had roused out of a sound sleep. That's key.

When she said they rehydrate the potatoes, I asked, "You mean you soak them?" Her response was, "Yes," with no further explanation. I then asked (not knowing any better), "Then you drain them?" Again, the response was, "Yes."

If I had asked, "Is it true you get your bacon from the hogs that are raised behind the restaurant?", I assure you her answer would have been, "Yes."

While she gave me truthful answers, any addtional questions were answered in the affirmative. So in the interest of being as thorough as Paul Harvey, that's "the rest of the story."

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/05 22:42:51 (permalink)
    I remember one interesting thing when we went through the Coco Cola Exhibit in Atlanta. There was an entire section devoted to the Waffle House, their original owners, and newspaper articles on the long time association...Waffle Houses and Coca Cola.
    Celery Salt
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 12:23:35 (permalink)
    Great, thanks everyone!
    Rusty246
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 12:40:03 (permalink)
    Betty Crocker makes the dehydrated hash browns with the onions. I find them in my local Publix with the other dehydrates, au gratin, scalloped and such. The instructions are just as Wannabchef suggests. I don't use the oil, butter only. A non-stick skillet is especially helpful and suggested. My son(11 years)loves them with a couple slices of american cheese and two eggs over easy on top.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 12:40:58 (permalink)
    Waffle House is outstanding! An excellent value!
    Rusty246
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 12:46:08 (permalink)
    Then there are the "Simply Potatoes" brand, usually near the dairy section, those are equally good and no soaking process.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 13:07:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stlouisguy

Waffle House is outstanding! An excellent value!

based on this thread, I would disagree.

dehydrated potatoes?

MellowRoast
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 14:06:09 (permalink)
    I'm wearing sunglasses, fake moustache, hat, and trench coat (lest Ms. Waffle House is listening), when I tell you Huddle House is much better and an even better value.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 14:20:29 (permalink)
    quote:

I'm wearing sunglasses, fake moustache, hat, and trench coat (lest Ms. Waffle House is listening), when I tell you Huddle House is much better and an even better value.

I have never had a good experience there. Their staff were not up to the job of remembering to clear tables. Cigarette breaks were not forgotten, however.
    juleebella
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 14:24:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I have to wonder about this soaking of dehydrated potatoes. Just this noon I watched as one of the Waffle House cooks opened a cardboard (?) milk-type container and poured the shredded potatoes into a pan in the sandwich/salad prep unit.

I was busy eating a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit at the time, so I might have missed something -- but I never saw any water for soaking.

You got a biscuit at Waffle House? When did they start selling those?
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 14:37:35 (permalink)
    One of the local Waffle Houses started selling biscuit sandwiches, as well as biscuits and gravy, a couple months ago. The biscuits are already baked, so the grill cook splits them, butters them, and warms them up on the grill.

The gravy appears to be pre-made (never saw anyone actually making this, nor did I ask), and is served out of the same warmer as where they keep the grits. I say it’s premade, because it has the same smoothness and glossiness that one sees in the sausage gravy from Hardees…..

How does it taste? Pretty much OK….it’s not as good as homemade, and not the best thing on the menu, but it was hot, filling, reasonably spicy, and had a decent amount of sausage crumbles in it. I’ve had better biscuits and gravy from a local diner, and had far, far worse from places like Denny’s and McDonalds.

Best items on the WH menu are still any egg dish, hash browns, grits, and pecan waffles.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 14:45:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by juleebella

quote:

Locally, meaning Ohio, Waffle House has had biscuits for about a month and a half. They've had them in other areas, especially around their original base of Georgia, since last year.
    juleebella
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 15:06:50 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by juleebella

quote:

Locally, meaning Ohio, Waffle House has had biscuits for about a month and a half. They've had them in other areas, especially around their original base of Georgia, since last year.

I didn't know that, and I'm in Georgia. We used to eat at Waffle House all the time for breakfast, but we had a local roadfood type place open near us that serves a great breakfast, so we haven't been to Waffle House in a little over a year. Explains why I didn't know about the biscuits. Thanks!
    MellowRoast
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/06 15:39:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by divefl

quote:

I have never had a good experience there. Their staff were not up to the job of remembering to clear tables. Cigarette breaks were not forgotten, however.

Yes, that's true of most any chain, and the same thing has happened to me numerous times at Waffle House. I don't even bother going any more unless it's my friend's location (still in disguise). The new Huddle House concept is tops, with a more varied menu and terrific prices, particulary the Big House breakfasts.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/14 12:57:15 (permalink)
    During a recent road trip a buddy and I stopped at both the Huddle House and the Waffle House at every breakfast opportunity we had.

They are on equal footing so far as I am concerned, both excellent!! I would especially recommend the Huddle House in Paris, Tn.

I had no idea they used dehydrated potatoes, I someitmes use the Betty Crocker dehydrated hashbrowns and mine are still no where near as good as the Waffle House.....must be that Kaola stuff...LOL!
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/14 13:35:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

dehydrated potatoes?

Well, this is why one would order them smothered, covered, chunked, diced, peppered, capped, or topped, or all of the above.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/14 14:02:35 (permalink)
    Well, if Waffle houses are selling biscuits and gravy now...well now they have everything for this breakfast guy!!!!!! Great place, yes, great value!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/14 15:39:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Well, if Waffle houses are selling biscuits and gravy now...well now they have everything for this breakfast guy!!!!!! Great place, yes, great value!

Waffle House is selling biscuits and gravy now, Also, just plain biscuits, sausage biscuits, sausage egg and cheese biscuits and bacon, egg and cheese biscuits. By the way, the sausage, egg and cheese biscuit I had the other day was just $2.15.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: How does WAFFLE HOUSE make their hashbrowns? 2008/05/14 15:40:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennie

quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

dehydrated potatoes?

Well, this is why one would order them smothered, covered, chunked, diced, peppered, capped, or topped, or all of the above.

Scattered light, smothered, peppered and topped for me.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1