The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

How hot was your truck or trailer

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 62
Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
  • Roadfood Insider
How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 7:50 PM (permalink)
Ok guys here are some temps from today.
8:30 interior temp was 89
Under hood 89
outside temp  85

10:30 am
interior temp  94
Hood temp 97 with only the steam table (1)  and cheese warmer running.
outside temp 89

11:00 am
interior temp 100 with 1 steam table-Panini grill- cheese warmer running
hood temp 101
Outside temp  94

11:30
interior temp 101
hood temp 102
Outside temp 95

12:00 noon
interior temp 103
hood temp 102
Outside Temp 95

12:30
interior temp 103
hood temp 103
Outside temp  98

1:00
Interior temp 108
hood temp  103
Outside temp 97  radio said heat index 106

1:30 pm
Interior Temp 109
hood temp 104 
(just measured the hood temp at the top not at the filters and it was 113 degrees)
Outside temp  97

2:00 PM
Interior Temp  108
hood temp at the filters 105  roof temp 115
Outside Temp 97

2:30
Interior Temp 107
hood temp at filter 107 roof temp 115
Outside Temp  99

3:00
Interior Temp 110
Hood Temp at filters 105 roof temp 119
Outside Temp  99   Heat index 109 degrees

3:30
Interior Temp 109
Hood Temp at filters 105 roof temp 119
Outside temp 100  heat index 107

4:00
Interior Temp 110
Hood Temp at filters 106 roof temp 119
Outside Temp  100 heat index 109

4:30
Interior Temp 110
Hood Temp at filters 106 roof temp 119
Outside Temp 100 heat index 109

5;00
Interior Temp 108
Hood Temp at filters  106 roof temp 117
Outside Temp 101 heat index  108

5:30
Interior Temp 105
Hood Temp at filters 1`05 roof temp 112
Outside Temp 100

All in all it was a pretty good Tuesday even with the weather and sucky economy. So at 5:45 I left John in charge so I could go home and cool off.

The Dr of BBQ
2709 S 6th Street
Springfield Illinois 62703

217-744-9999

stubby77

• Total Posts: 491
    Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 8:06 PM (permalink)
    It was only 88 degrees outside here, but even with my a/c unit pumping out it was 99.5 degrees in the midpoint of my trailer (I keep the thermometer halfway between the grill at one end and the air conditioner at the other end).

Two weeks ago when the outside temp hit 104, the inside was 109. The only saving grace is that if you stand directly under the air conditioner vent, it is actually comfortable.

BackAlleyBurger

• Total Posts: 1077
      Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 8:26 PM (permalink)
      so from your experience today, hood temps are actually a lot less then we all assumed they were.... very cool :)

thank you very much for the time and effort!

hahaha, thats an awesome pic of the dog :)

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 8:45 PM (permalink)
        Please keep in mind I had minimal equipment running, no char broiler, no flat top, no deep fryer and those are the killers when it comes to heat, smoke and interior temps. Others on the forum that use those pieces of equipment could do a better study than mine. I didn't mention a name because I don't want to assign a task LMAO. Ok Chef..........lol
        Jack

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
          Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 9:23 PM (permalink)
          Hey   Doc ... I like the fur coat and I understand the need for the ice; but I think I would take off the coat!    ... Hum ... I thought you were a little taller.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 9:25 PM (permalink)
            edwmax
            Hey   Doc ... I like the fur coat and I understand the need for the ice; but I think I would take off the coat!    ... Hum ... I thought you were a little taller.

Your right I'm taller than I look in the picture but I'm still mean. LOL

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1953
              Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 9:41 PM (permalink)
              Dr of BBQ

Please keep in mind I had minimal equipment running, no char broiler, no flat top, no deep fryer and those are the killers when it comes to heat, smoke and interior temps. Others on the forum that use those pieces of equipment could do a better study than mine. I didn't mention a name because I don't want to assign a task LMAO. Ok Chef..........lol
              Jack

Me????....
              I'll look into temps tomorrow if I'm sittin around with my thumb you know where.....Everythings prepped, all I have to do is show up 30 min ahead to fire up all that heat producing equipment.

Last time I checked, it was 109 inside this weekend, outside was around 82.

Chicnscoop

• Total Posts: 291
                Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 9:46 PM (permalink)
                You guys need bigger CFM from your hood fans. We have no AC in the trailer and it felt cooler in the trailer when it was 103 out side in our heat wave 2 weeks ago.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Tue, 08/2/11 9:49 PM (permalink)
                  My exhaust fan pulls so hard as it is that it sucks the bottom of the garbage bag up to the top of the trash bin until we get enough trash in it to weight it down. So I don't thing CFM is the problem. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
                  Jack
                  <message edited by Dr of BBQ on Tue, 08/2/11 9:51 PM>

chefbuba

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 12:33 AM (permalink)
                    Same here.....I have to keep a weight on my napkins and sand wrap, or else they are all over the floor.

chefbuba

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 12:34 AM (permalink)
                      Chicnscoop

You guys need bigger CFM from your hood fans. We have no AC in the trailer and it felt cooler in the trailer when it was 103 out side in our heat wave 2 weeks ago.

What are you running?

edwmax

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 6:56 AM (permalink)
                        Dr of BBQ

My exhaust fan pulls so hard as it is that it sucks the bottom of the garbage bag up to the top of the trash bin until we get enough trash in it to weight it down. So I don't thing CFM is the problem. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
                        Jack

From the temp given, I think there are dead spots with little air movement.   The hood temp is cooler that the rest of the truck.   The truck temp should be about the same as the outside temp.     So the air must be flowing straight from the window/vent to the hood and very little flow thru the truck.   You might try regulating the flow so air goes thru the 'whole' truck.

Also, the roof temp, I assume that is the inside temp at the roof????  Question, is the roof insulated?  

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 8:49 AM (permalink)
                          "The roof temp, I assume that is the inside temp at the roof????  Question, is the roof insulated? "

The roof temp was taken from the very top inside of the hood. vs The hood temp was taken at the filters where the air flow is greatest.I'm not sure I should have done it that way but I noticed there was a significant difference in temps so I wrote them down.

The inside temp was taken at ceiling height.

Jack

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 8:54 AM (permalink)
                            Chef, your 109 inside with a outside temp of 82 will give everyone a much better idea of trailer truck temps than my post. Please be sure and list what your running so the new people and builders can get a real feel for what they are facing.
                            Thanks
                            Jack

Chicnscoop

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 10:38 AM (permalink)
                              I am running the big ugly mushroom fan on the roof. It is variable speed but to change it I need to get up there under the cover. Stainlesskitchenhoods.com engineered the fan. I have not taken any temp measurements so maybe it is the airflow through that is helping - window positioning like edwmax was refering to. I have the 4' concession window, (3) very small 10" x 14"frv windows, and (1) rv roof vent in a 20' trailer. The trailer is insulated with 1" or the pink foam board. I do know that if the fan is on and the windows are closed you have a very difficult time opening the door from the suction.
                              <message edited by Chicnscoop on Wed, 08/3/11 10:42 AM>

chefbuba

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                Dr of BBQ

Chef, your 109 inside with a outside temp of 82 will give everyone a much better idea of trailer truck temps than my post. Please be sure and list what your running so the new people and builders can get a real feel for what they are facing.
                                Thanks
                                Jack

I have a 20' trailer with two well steam table, deep fryer, 36" flat top over oven, toaster oven,
                                36" charbroiler & hot plate.
                                Two windows, two roof vents and the door is always open.
                                Foam insulated

BackAlleyBurger

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                  i really do think its the radiant heat that is kicking the heat up..... i wonder what the temps would be if a "shield" was placed between the cooking area and the operator during slow times..... i realize this is realistically not a viable idea, but heat transfer should be able to be managed......

maybe locate some make up air at the lower front of the big offenders, and create an air curtain of sorts to soak up as much as the radiant heat as possible before it migrates into the truck....

chefbuba

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 6:34 PM (permalink)
                                    My temps are not as thorough as the Dr's, but at the window hovered around 100-104, the hood temp was 123 + -, dependant on if the fryer was cycling.
                                    I only had half the broiler running today also.
                                    It was 83 today.
                                    I have been bitching about the heat in the kitchen for 30 years, it's part of the job.
                                    If I didn't like it, I would have become a butcher and then been bitching about working in a 34 degree cold room 8 hrs a day.
                                    You know the old saying....

Barbeque barn

• Total Posts: 187
                                      Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Wed, 08/3/11 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                      with the a/c on it was at 93 degrees with the warmer and refrigator on and 97 outside with a heat index of 103. Before I got my new generator and was able to use the a/c, 103 outside,110 inside with fans running. Oh the old generator, the main shift bearing locked up and fellout of the seat and the armature slid forward and out of the field and stop producing power. $1400.00 dollars later at Lowes and wal la,,,power.

edwmax

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Thu, 08/4/11 8:15 AM (permalink)
                                        BackAlleyBurger

i really do think its the radiant heat that is kicking the heat up..... i wonder what the temps would be if a "shield" was placed between the cooking area and the operator during slow times..... i realize this is realistically not a viable idea, but heat transfer should be able to be managed...... 

In addition, I think refrig, salad/sandwich prep, & drink coolers (ect)  are dumping their heat into the truck-trailer.   These could easily be vented to the outside thought the wall behind the unit  ... drier vent.    If these are close to each other, then the vent space could be closed off and a small fan used to draw air and vent to the outside.    ... I think this may give the added advantage of lowering power usage & increased efficiency of the equipment.

Chicnscoop

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Thu, 08/4/11 10:42 AM (permalink)
                                          The (2) ice cream dipping cabinets in my trailer throw a ton of heat. When we first opened we were closing the windows at night and turning off the hood vent. It would get very hot in the trailer over night - at least 25 degrees warmer inside than outside. We quickly learned to keep open the small windows and the roof vent. In the summer heat we leave the hood fan on over night to keep the dipping cabinets from working against themselves. It would be much less expensive to replace the motor in the hood fan than repair a dipping cabinet refridgeration system.
                                          <message edited by Chicnscoop on Thu, 08/4/11 10:44 AM>

edwmax

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Thu, 08/4/11 1:42 PM (permalink)
                                            Just my point about equipment waste heat.   These usually depend on convection current within the Room to cool the coil, but with a little effort the hot air could be vented outside.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Thu, 08/4/11 3:54 PM (permalink)
                                              But then your still sucking out some of the air conditioned air at the same time. I promise if that were a plausible idea every fast food chain in the country would be doing it. They have access to the best commercial kitchen design engineers, and spare no expense in kitchen layout, design and equipment choices. And if a company that builds restaurant equipment thought that would work they would design it, produce it and for at least a few years (until the others caught up ) take over the  kitchen equipment sales market.

I can see the ads now:

Our equipment will reduce the temperature in your
                                              BOH by 33 1/3 %. Save thousands in air conditioning
                                              cost and reduce equipment maitanince by 25%. Pays
                                              for it's self in savings over 7 years. And your staff will
                                              stop grumbling about the heat.

LOL
                                              Jack

BackAlleyBurger

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Thu, 08/4/11 3:56 PM (permalink)
                                                edwmax
                                                Just my point about equipment waste heat.   These usually depend on convection current within the Room to cool the coil, but with a little effort the hot air could be vented outside.

thats exactly what i am thinking..... leave the intake on the inside(in my case down south, up north have it vented from outside) and vent the discharge side to the outside..... would mean a couple more vents located on outside of truck (or under the truck if its a bottom discharge)

i think the benefits would far outweigh the minor additional cost....

as an example, the room my computer is in is usually 5 degrees or so warmer then the rest of house because i have a water cooled processor that is constantly pumping out warm air, the static heat from a 17" flat monitor, and whatever minimal heat is coming from a laser printer, and my computer and phone modems....

edwmax

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Thu, 08/4/11 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  Dr of BBQ

But then your still sucking out some of the air conditioned air at the same time. I promise if that were a plausible idea every fast food chain in the country would be doing it. They have access to the best commercial kitchen design engineers, and spare no expense in kitchen layout,   ....

'Good' Kitchen designers & Engineers are doing actactly that.    ... Especially where the equipment is in enclosed cabinets.    Some residential kitchen designers are venting the 'hidden' appliances to the outside rather than into the AC conditions space.    ... Otherwise the addition heat load must be added as addition AC cooling load.    ... In commercial construction, the Codes call for a minimum of 'fresh' (outside) makeup air. In these 'designed' kitchens fresh air is piped into the kitchen  to replace the exhausted air and off-set the Code required minimum fresh make up air and help reduce excess lost of AC conditioned air from the dinning Rm.

All I was pointing out, this equipment in truck/trailer concessions are sitting against the outside walls.  It would be easy to add vents & small fans behind each to vent the hot air from the cooling coils.

Chicnscoop

Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Thu, 08/4/11 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    The specs on my Dipping cabinets require them to be 4" min from the walls. I actually re-arranged my layout last minute to accomodate this. The on-line specs did not show this so I did not know until the actual units arrived. I got lucky and the changes worked out for better workflow anyway.

BackAlleyBurger

• Location: FAYETTEVILLE, NC
                                                      Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Thu, 08/4/11 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      Chicnscoop,
                                                      do your dipping cabinets have intake or outlet vents on the back ? 
                                                      if so by venting it through the wall you could have still placed it right up next to the wall im thinking..

Schmelly

• Total Posts: 185
                                                        Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Fri, 08/5/11 4:53 AM (permalink)
                                                        Can an A/C unit actually keep a truck or trailer cool at all ?

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
                                                          • Location: dodging,snakes,spiders,roaches, armadillos.opposso
                                                          Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Fri, 08/5/11 7:04 AM (permalink)
                                                          I leave the a/c on all night, when I get to the trailer it's 67 degrees@ 4:15 a.m. and about 80 degrees outside, fire up the grill, fryer, steam table, coffee pots,  juice machines,micro wave, 2 burner stove, and in about 15 min. its 80 degrees in the trailer with the over head on,and yes also mine will suck the walls in if everything is closed up. temp  only goes up from there i dont have any hood temps or anything cept to know its HOT, in side temps get into the 110 range and thats not in the heat of the day  fortunatly we leave @ at about 1:00 p.m. close the window at 12:45 p.m. but from 5:45 - 12:45 everything is running full bore.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                                                            • Location: Roswell, NM until we leave for another place
                                                            Re:How hot was your truck or trailer Fri, 08/5/11 10:54 AM (permalink)
                                                            There has to be a way to lessen the heat. How can you guys work like that?  Can you build a plenum behind/under your equipment  and duct the heat to it with a dedicated exhaust fan to pull the heat out (and up)? Sorta like a heat distribution duct system in reverse. Or maybe place a thru the wall fan behind the heat producing part? But, most likely, the thru the wall fans would blow hot air on the customers. I can't believe no one has figured out a solution to this. I am so glad we don't have a huge heat producing griddle. Our little single gas burner/12" griddle pan and the tankless water heater generate enough heat.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 62

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com