Helpful ReplyHow important is parking

Author
DanLeeJohnson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Flagged as Spam (1)
2014/02/09 21:01:00 (permalink)

How important is parking

Hi all, I live in Stevens Point, WI and looking at opening a restaurant / brewpub. The location is an old historic building on a corner with about 5000 cars passing daily. There is a handful of parking on the street and a fairly large public parking spot about 1/4 block away. I have heard some comments that parking is almost critical to success. I don't believe it is. I have traveled all over and walked without even thinking about it to get where I wanted to go. When delivering, great food, great atmosphere, great service, and great brew/drinks…what are your thoughts in regard to restaurant success and parking? Thanks for the input.

Dan
post edited by DanLeeJohnson - 2014/02/09 21:05:52
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:How important is parking 2014/02/09 21:15:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I'm not walking far in Jan, Feb, or March in Stevens Point, WI.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18386
Re:How important is parking 2014/02/09 21:17:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
If I can't park nearby I don't go.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3967
Re:How important is parking 2014/02/09 22:26:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Unless it is a tourist area like Bourbon Street in NOLA or downtown San Francisco I doubt many people would walk enough to make a restaurant a success. Unless you can guarantee yourself that there is enough repeat business within the few blocks you are talking about, I would re-think the location. 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:How important is parking 2014/02/10 00:07:19 (permalink)
If the fairly large parking " spot" is a lot or garage 1/4 of a city block away that can reasonably provide enough parking & on average a city block measures between 300 - 600 feet divided by 4...that's really really not very far.

You should do some homework as far as how full the lot or garage is filled during the hours your business would be open.

How large is fairly large?

What other types of businesses are in the area that have employees & customers that would likely use the lot for parking?

Is it a lot near any major public transportation system...train or bus line...that would be used by commuters?

Are there any rules that prohibit parking on the city streets any given day(s) between certain hours... in the immediate area (street cleaning) that would drive parking from the streets to the lot?

Is it open at all times?

Is it a lot or garage with meters or a standard rate fee for parking?

If it's an open parking lot how fast (and through) does snow removal happen during the winter?

Is it well lit @ night?

Check with the authorities in regard to reported incidents of theft - vandalism - etc.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2014/02/10 00:39:04
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
Re:How important is parking 2014/02/10 00:19:16 (permalink)
!/4 a block away is not bad as long as there are spaces readily available and it's free. As mentioned, weather is a factor in winter.
Give us more details on the parking lot and the type of place you're thinking about.
If it's an old building, passing inspections and getting permits and meeting codes will be a bigger issue than parking.
teekyslongbeach
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:How important is parking 2014/02/14 18:09:26 (permalink)
Parking is SUPER important. Even when I was making  progress and getting new customers a lot of picky Yelpers pointed out the parking problem.

If I could list my mistakes. Considering parking would be in the top 5.

I like to network with people in the business and share my experience.

email me if you would like teekyslongbeach@gmail.com

Turtle66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
Re:How important is parking 2014/02/18 12:47:56 (permalink)
Parking is very important, Don't know why the importance of parking (convenience of access) is not stressed enough. I'd say it's right up their with the importance of location. Poor access will definitely affect your bottom line negatively to some degree. We have become a society of convenience.     
http://restaurants.about.com/od/openingarestaurant/a/Restauntfails.htm

post edited by Turtle66 - 2014/02/18 16:16:41
hella good tacos
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
Re:How important is parking 2014/02/18 13:03:07 (permalink)
DanLeeJohnson

Hi all, I live in Stevens Point, WI and looking at opening a restaurant / brewpub. The location is an old historic building on a corner with about 5000 cars passing daily. There is a handful of parking on the street and a fairly large public parking spot about 1/4 block away. I have heard some comments that parking is almost critical to success. I don't believe it is. I have traveled all over and walked without even thinking about it to get where I wanted to go. When delivering, great food, great atmosphere, great service, and great brew/drinks…what are your thoughts in regard to restaurant success and parking? Thanks for the input.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I live in Portland, Me.  We have a climate comparable (i assume) to you all in wisconsin.

This is very much a "walking" city.  People regularly walk, bike, or take cabs to get around.  So i'd say here parking wouldn't be as big a deal.  I grew up outside of S.F. CA. and in the city walking, transit and cabs are the norm so parking is the onus of the car owner not the eatery and that's pretty much accepted.

However just outside SF is the great car culture where everybody drives every where and people expect to find mega parking lots at their mega marts etc.

So i'd say you should assess the community you live in first.  Do you live in a place where your target market are predominately walkers, bicyclists, transit riders, or is it a car culture? For the former parking could be a waste of otherwise useful space.
slammin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
Re:How important is parking 2014/03/03 17:49:08 (permalink)
To satisfy zoning requirements in many cities, you must have a certain number of off street parking spaces. These can be on your own lot or leased spaces at an offsite location. Foot traffic will depend on your area. If you are in an "entertainment" area, many customers will park in a nearby public parking lot or garage and walk from one bar or restaurant to others in the same area. If your in the burbs, you better have parking at the door. 
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1