How is your local pizza guy doing?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2979
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/07 19:37:24 (permalink)
Within a 2 mile stretch of Rt 309 in Mountain Top, a bedroom community that can't support a family style restaurant:

Januzzi's
Three Guys
Tony's
Whistle Stop
Kings
Luigis
Dino's

I probably missed one.

Tom
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/07 22:57:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Since I'm a creature of habit all too frequently, I find myself reading this and beginning to crave an Italian special cold sub from Little Italy, where I'm apt to go after the library closes.

Dearfolk,
I suppose it's okay to answer my own post.
Tonight, I find myself craving a cold sub again. Since Little Italy has a coldcut named mortadella, I think I'll ask if they can make me an all-mortadella cold sub so I can see what it's like. I'll report back to y'all directly.
Subcuriously, Ort. Carlton in The Usual Place.
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/08 08:55:01 (permalink)
Here in Cleveland we have Dominos, Papa johns ,East of chicago,Pizza Hut, But I have not ordered from a chain in years..
www.angelosonline.com
Wonderful pizza, original or deep dish. Everything fresh, and they don't skimp on toppings. They also use a cheese mixture to top the pie that is unusual and delicious. Great subs and salads too.
They must be doing well, they moved to a larger location last year.
They spoiled us for chain pizza for sure.
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/08 09:07:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Spudnut

quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
Originally posted by cwills

I live in NYC, and while of course we have some of the best--if not the best--pizza in America here--Grimaldi's, Totonno's, Patsy's, etc.--I think the quality of the everyday, neighborhood-joint pizza has declined a lot in the last few years. Used to be you could pop in at almost any place, anywhere in Manhattan and get a decent honest slice made in the old-skool manner. Now most places seem to use indifferent sauce, too much gloppy cheese, and a too-thick, doughy crust. Have any other NY'ers noticed this?

I have noticed!...but I think it is just economics rather than who is making the pie, although your theory may also have some truth to it. I think most independent shops are not all that different from chains in that they are just assembly points rather than actual kitchens. I see the same trucks unloading their supplies at many of the local pizza stores in my area. They deliver the dough, sauce, toppings, plates, napkins, boxes...all of it. This means many are using the same dough, the same sauce, and all the same ingredients. I have heard rumors that shops owners in NY have little choice regarding who they buy their supplies from. The good shops are the ones that have a real kitchen, where they are making most of the ingredients themselves...not sure how many are left!

I don't know if I've noticed it either, but I tend to not be real experimental on that front, either. I'm just confused that places like Domino's actually survive and, seemingly, thrive in NYC, when there are any number of better options -- often on the same block!

Spudnut- I also live in NY, and have come to this conclusion. Most of the customers in my neighborhood Domino's are not native New Yorkers. They are either immigrants or transplants, and not the adventurous types. The local joints still all seem to do well, but they have a very loyal following. So, I guess there is room for the chains, though ya won't see me ordering from one in the near future. I am just looking forward to a trip to Connecticut in a few weeks to taste the "motherlode" in New Haven.

cleveland66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/08 11:52:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

The pizza in Tennessee is to live for. Isn't that the opposite of to die for? It's not a pretty picture. But we have our compensations. BTW, how's the hot chicken in Connecticutt?

Pete, last time I was in Nashvegas I had a pretty decent sausage & cheese pie in a little dive near Vandy. can't recall the name, but the place was tiny (two 4 person tables, and maybe six or eight 2 seaters). Bathroom was downstairs. I recall a fireplace, and boardgames strewn about...Anyway, the pizza was better than most I've had in that neck of the woods.

As far as hot chicken in Connecticut, I couldn't say, but the gumbo's good down here.
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/08 12:27:22 (permalink)
Here in the Ravinia neighborhood of Highland Park, Ill., we have a wonderful pizza shop two blocks away from our house called Piero's, which makes just about the best stuffed pizza in the entire metro area (that I've had, anyway). It's just a little storefront place without any tables. Pickups and deliveries only. Then last spring a place opened around the corner from Piero's - a chain but also in a storefront and with no tables. They sell a pizza called "Noble Roman's." I have never tried it. But the place is nearly always empty, from what I can tell. I hope it's because everyone realizes how good Piero's is and wants to support them. But I feel a little sorry for the owner of the new place, because he is a nice fellow. Below is the link to Piero's. Try not to salivate too much over the pizza photo.

http://www.pieropizza.com/
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/12 22:57:29 (permalink)
Sal and Carmines in NYC
danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/14 16:32:32 (permalink)
Here's another potential threat to the local pizza place in my neighborhood (Highland Park, IL) - the other day I found frozen Lou Malnati's pizza in my grocer's freezer. There were several varieties, including plain cheese, spinach and sausage (we chose plain cheese because that's all our picky older son will eat). Anyway, it was about $8, or twice as much as a typical frozen pizza but a lot cheaper than getting a fresh one delivered from Lou's. We heated it up for 40 minutes (it would have taken less had we remembered to defrost it for 2 hours) and it turned out just fine. Pretty much like the delivered one. The same great crust and cheese and tomato quality. I'd better watch out or I'll be eating this stuff every week!
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/21 06:25:36 (permalink)
My local pizza guy is a place called Papa Dom's. It's an excellent NT style pizza that has been in my area for at least a dozen years. He has just opened a place in west Knoxville, same name, on Executive Park Dr. Hope some west knoxvillians will check it out.
juliev
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2004/12/23 21:08:59 (permalink)
I think I would die if I lived in NYC or Chicago, with all those great unique places with homemade fresh pizza. Pizza is something that you can get so creative with and with a variety of different crusts.

I used to work for Pizza Hut years ago... In my opinion, they aren't as good now as they used to be. I think it varies though, since most of the franchises are locally owned. Sometimes they serve different things on their menu. I love their Thin-n-Crispy and Stuffed Crust Pizza! We used to have 4 Pizza Huts AND one that was mainly for delivery. Now, we are down to two. The bigger one serving as delivery also. I like their buffet. Another thing I admire about them. They donate leftovers to the local soup kitchen.

Another good local place in Jamestown, NY is called Rudy's Pizza. They have killer pizza, and it's much better than Pizza Hut. They have only been in business for about 5 years, and they are boomin'. The only other place in town that I like is Lena's. That is another local place. I can think of at least 10 other pizza joints, even Domino's and Little Caesars, but they aren't that great.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2005/01/30 05:14:50 (permalink)
Got a new pizza place near my house which I am anxious to try, called Pizza Mia. Looks like they have red sauce & white sauce pizzas, as well as calzones, which I love, and gyros, which I also love. And, they deliver.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2005/01/31 04:05:44 (permalink)
We had lousy weather around these parts on Saturday night, so we patronized our local pizza place, Ft. Thomas Pizza, for the second weekend in a row. Once again it was very good, but almost deathly empty. I hate to see it because they've done some great things in the quality control department.
Also on the local pizza front, I had the chance to try TJ Jackson's local guy, Pizzaville, last Tuesday. To say it's a low-key place is running the risk of overstating the obvious, (although I found the Beatles pic and the Looney Tunes posters to be a comforting surrounding to enjoy a pizza in." My pizza was coming out of the oven as I arrived and I found it to be oddly ordinary, yet somehow familiar, completely different from what I expected. I thought that maybe I was just being too critical and expecting or hoping for too much, but my son ate the two pieces that I didn't finish. Halfway through the first piece, he turned and said that it reminded him of Spaghetti-O's, which I realized was the description that I had been searching for. I can see it being a good place to hang out if you're a local, but I'd be hard pressed to make a special trip again. If I'm in the area and it's a choice between Pizzaville and LaRosa's, I'll go with Pizzaville just because it's unique in it's odd little way.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2005/01/31 07:27:20 (permalink)
Sounds like I need to get over and try Ft Thomas Pizza. Always looking for another great pizza :-)

I'm sorry you didn't like Pizzaville all that well, I really like the sauce there. It is his own blend....ah well, to each his own :-)

I got to try a place in Western Hills a month or so back - Trotta's. Setup is a standard beverage drive through that also has a pizza oven, selling pizza by the slice and by the pie. No eat in. I Thought it was pretty good but need to give it a second try.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2005/01/31 23:55:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Sounds like I need to get over and try Ft Thomas Pizza. Always looking for another great pizza :-)

I'm sorry you didn't like Pizzaville all that well, I really like the sauce there. It is his own blend....ah well, to each his own :-)

I got to try a place in Western Hills a month or so back - Trotta's. Setup is a standard beverage drive through that also has a pizza oven, selling pizza by the slice and by the pie. No eat in. I Thought it was pretty good but need to give it a second try.

Keep in mind our apparent differences in taste before you make a special trip to Ft. Thomas. I happened to be over in Eastgate last Tuesday and I had the foresight to program the Pizzaville number into my cell phone before leaving home. I usually stop at Chipotle when I'm out that way, but I figured I'd try something new for a change. I can't say I didn't like it. In fact, I can see it becoming the kind of thing you might occasionally crave like White Castle. It reminded me of many small town pizzas I've eaten over the years. They all have a unique personality, and few of them have been places I'd never return to.
Have you ever stumbled onto Dine.com? They've got a nice setup that lets you pick a city and even a type of food and read the reviews that others have submitted. (I think you could become a Southern Ohio legend over there.) I've already found a summer's worth of new places that I have to try by paging through the reviews.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2005/02/01 08:55:56 (permalink)
Cool.

Have you been to Trotta's?
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2005/02/01 23:12:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Cool.

Have you been to Trotta's?

No. I've got a bit of history on the west side. It's not the most comfortable place for me to go. Is it worth braving my past for?
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2005/03/13 14:43:32 (permalink)
Actually, this "local pizza guy" is 20 miles away, but still newsworthy on this thread.

On Saturday night I decided to go to Jamestown, Ohio (just off of US 35 between Xenia and Washington Court House), and dine at one of the town's two local chains. That night it was Firehouse Pizza's turn for my patronage. (FYI it's located at 1 E. Washington St./former US 35, right at Limestone St./OH 72.) While dining inside I learned that at the end of the month the restaurant was going to close . I could not believe it considering the fact that no Pizza Hut, Domino's, or Papa John's restaurants exist in Jamestown. The only other pizzeria is Bentino's (there are one or two other locations in the area), in a strip mall on the west side of town further down Washington St.--that is, if you don't count the fact that the Marathon station further down offers Noble Roman's Pizza " />, plus another independent outlet by Shawnee Lake.

Are these independent pizzerias becoming an endangered species? I certainly hope not!
DaveM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: How is your local pizza guy doing? 2005/03/14 12:07:20 (permalink)
Here in the Greater Boston/Southern NH regions, people seem to be cherishing the independants that feature brick ovens.
Pizzeria Regina in the North End of Boston (the original) has always had a great reputation, but there has been good recent publicity about Franca's in Waltham,MA and Stromboli's in Billerica, both who feature brick oven cooking and fresh ingredients. Bertucci's, with several locations, does the same and is a stronger chain.
At work, my office managers often order pizza from Stromboli's for functions. Stromboli's does a great job on both the classic cheese pizza, but also the esoteric, such as a marinated garlic chicken pizza. If you order regular Italian cuisine instead of pizza, you are supplied with hot, fresh,rolls from the same oven.
As tmiles stated, Pizza Hut seems to take a hit in this area. I have seen many open and close due to strong, small independent chains such as Sal's Just Pizza. Papa Gino's (malls and plazas)and Bertucci's (more high end). Domino's is by far the strongest national chain with any penetration, with Pizzeria Uno second. I only know of one Papa John's-Nashua,NH.
Thankfully, pizza has become less of a staple in my diet, so I enjoy good pizza because I eat it so infrequently. I am always on the search for places that serve slices as well, because it seems that too is a dying breed.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1