How long after date can you eat yogurt?

Author
offlady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 343
2006/07/02 04:22:52 (permalink)

How long after date can you eat yogurt?

How long after the "sell by" or "best by" date can you eat yogurt? They haven't been opened yet, and they are sealed under the lid that seems airtight. These are organic yogurt with active live cultures. Are the cultures still live or do they deteriorate quickly after the date? I know if I open them they will look and smell fresh.

My dad used to say you can cut off the mold off the block of cheese and still eat the inside.

12 Replies Related Threads

doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 08:24:48 (permalink)

I think that while dating, you should act like you enjoy the stuff. After you are married, then you can tell her that you ate it to make her happy and think you were cool.

I have a container of Oreo YoCrunch that is dated at 08/22/05 in the fridge. I might take one for the team on this if you ask me....

mark
    beentheredonethat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 09:54:23 (permalink)
    I'm a fanatic about dates on dairy. I would state the old "When in doubt, throw it out". When it's my week to "do the kitchen" at work, on Fridays I clean out the refrigerator. If I see a salad dressing, yogurt -- ANYthing past the date...out it goes, and nobody has ever come up to me and asked, "What happened to my yogurt?" In fact, I've been thanked because they forgot all about it.

And since you have asked, I think you should throw it out. I'm just not a fan of mold on anything. Yogurt's not expensive.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 09:57:51 (permalink)

If your date was a 'Non-Starter', you can skip the yogurt.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 10:26:53 (permalink)
    yogurt gives me abnormal bowel movements and all kinds of gastro unpleasantness so I don't start eating my yogurt to well after our last good night kiss..........
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 11:19:26 (permalink)
    I know Yoplait says right on the package that it's good for 7 days past it's due date, but I don't know if the fact that your yogurt is organic would give it an even shorter shelf life. You could always call the company and ask.

You can find out some very interesting things when you call the company with questions like that- I had a friend who was getting food from the food pantry after her husband left her and their kids (shouldn't have dated him past his expiration date!) and she was sorting out her pantry and had a can that looked kinda beat up (I think it was for green beans or something) so she called the company's customer service line and they had her read the code on the can- turns out this can was like 8 years old and she'd only had it for a month. How nice of someone to donate that!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18700
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 11:29:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by offlady

How long after the "sell by" or "best by" date can you eat yogurt? They haven't been opened yet, and they are sealed under the lid that seems airtight. These are organic yogurt with active live cultures. Are the cultures still live or do they deteriorate quickly after the date? I know if I open them they will look and smell fresh.

My dad used to say you can cut off the mold off the block of cheese and still eat the inside.

While I can't speak to this as an expert, I will just say that if you open it and it doesn't look as if it's about to attack then you can at least taste it. As to eating cheese that's become moldy, your dad was correct.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 11:56:10 (permalink)
    I was redading about yogurt on the web and somewhere someone said "if it's not spoiled, eat it" I think those little criters that make yogurt work are still alive and well.

There is a great thread here somewhere about dates of things.
    Joe
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 14:09:23 (permalink)
    With hard cheeses, you can just cut off the mold, but soft cheeses you cannot and have to just throw away the whole thing. Sometimes I'm not sure if something's considered hard or soft (like good aged cheddar...even if it is considered soft, I don't want to just throw it away!), so I just cut it off and eat it anyway. Still have a pulse, so I guess I'm okay.

Eventually the live bacteria will eat everything in the yogurt they can and it will go bad- that's why people who are lactose-intolerant have a better chance of being okay with aged cheeses, because the bacteria have eaten the lactose. But cheese will stay better longer after the bacteria's food is gone.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/02 22:29:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Abe, I didn't know all that! What would be considered a "soft cheese"? And I bet you would get a kick out of that "out of date" thread, some funny stuff in there! I am not sure what heading it was under???
    Joe
    DavidEMartin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/05 22:53:31 (permalink)
    If I recall correctly, the active cultures come back to life and start reproducing. This will make the yoghurt more tart, then downright bitter. The fun part is that, if conditions are right, you end up with more yoghurt than you started with.
    When I was a film projectionist, one of my cowrokers left her Yoplait in the project booth overnight. The nice warm booth..... When I came in that night, the yoghurt had swollen in volume, popping the lid and forming a large circle around the container. Looked kinda like a kid's volcano science project.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/05 23:05:17 (permalink)
    when it doubt, THROW IT OUT
    jjjrfoodie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: How long after date can you eat yogurt? 2006/07/07 12:16:18 (permalink)
    I've kept Dannon Fruit on the Bottom yogurts for 9 months to a year with no problems as long as they are orginally sealed and kept in the back of the fridge. YMMV of course.

Once you open them, you'll know very quickly if they are still good or not before you even have to taste.

If it's not spoiled, no need to pitch.

Good luck.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1