How long is too long for service ???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2006/10/18 12:02:34 (permalink)

How long is too long for service ???

A question to restaurant owners and managers and to people who eat in restaurants once in a while.

Chris Rock's mother (from the news article I find that Chris is a comedian) is suing The Cracker Barrel, a chain, because she claims she and her daughter were left sitting at a table for 1/2 hour before a server approached for the first time.

How long is too long, and what should one do about lousy service like that? And could this be true ---could a table be ignored by a server for 1/2 hour ???

33 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6763
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 12:05:46 (permalink)
    I would leave. No excuse for making anyone wait for 1/2 hour.
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 12:10:14 (permalink)
    I say it should be at least under 5 minutes.
    KAYLINDA
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 12:13:31 (permalink)
    I can't imagine not being greeted for 1/2 hour...but why didn't they just leave? How can this be a lawsuit? Discrimination?
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 12:29:46 (permalink)
    Yes----somewhere in the article it states that Mrs Rock and daughter were the only blacks in the restaurant which is in South Carolina. It seems crazy that nayone would wait 1/2 hour. I know I wouldn't and I can claim to be discriminated against for being "Ancient".
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 12:38:31 (permalink)
    I just went back and re-read the article which is in a Charlotte, SC paper.
    When Mrs Rock finally complained to the Manager she was offered free meals. I think they refused and left and complained to some agency in Carolina.

But--------- now the Rev. Al Sharpton has heard about this incident and he is financing the law suit. The Headline read--------Cracker Barrel just for Crackers ????
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 12:56:54 (permalink)
    " />That "C" word raises it's ugly head! Isn't it PC for only crackers to be allowed to call crackers "crackers"?! Reverend Al, for shame! If I'm not mistaken, isn't this a broken record for the Cracker Barrel chain?
    Big Sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 13:18:26 (permalink)
    I wonder if I can sue for waiting for the check for a half an hour ? Has anyone tried walking out waiting for your forgetful wait staff to bring you the check ? The other day our party were seated on the outside patio and after waiting what seemed to be an eternity we finally walt into the restaurant and paid the cashier our selfs and still were charged 20 % tip because we were a party of five.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 13:26:16 (permalink)
    I'm not saying someone is posting untruths here, but none of this adds up. Chris Rock has enough money to buy 100 Al Sharpton's so why would his mother hire Rev. Al who is not a lawyer? Snopes turns nothing up. Cracker Barrel on Google turns nothing up. A "Cracker Barrel just for Crackers" search turns nothing up. I'm inclined to write this off as one of those friend of a friend told me type stories that no one can pin down with a solid provable link. Sorry.
    FoodBully
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 13:55:17 (permalink)
    Found the link by Googling for the Charlotte paper.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/15784915.htm
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 14:52:07 (permalink)
    Thank you Shewmaker. Although the story is exactly the same the edition I saw had the headline I quoted. I would have added the link to the original post if I knew how or thought the story would be questioned as a fake. How can you fake a story like that out of a clear blue sky anyhow????
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 16:54:01 (permalink)
    Cracker Barrel has been sued for this kind of thing before. The disposition of the suit is here:
    http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2004/May/04_crt_288.htm

and other racist behavior has been reported here:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/2004-05-07-cracker-barrel_x.htm

Unless I'm badly mistaken, the Richardsons (who first had the Charlotte Hornets franchise), are major stockholders of the group who own Cracker Barrel.

The USA today article also quotes gay people who say they were treated badly there.

Maybe Sharpton is just trying to take advantage of previous bad press, but if the company does operate this way, it is shameful.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/18 20:27:53 (permalink)
    Sorry for doubting your account of this.
    I apologize.
    I'm surprised that a Southern newspaper would use a headline like that. In fairness, she didn't really hire the Rev., he is doing a class action lawsuit. I'm getting ancient myself, but I would have gotten the strength to get up and leave well before 30 minutes. We had an experience years ago. A somewhat mid-price range restaurant opened at 11:30 for lunch. We waited in the vestibule, being first in line around 11:15. We were seated, I ordered a burger w/ff and my not yet Mrs MFL ordered a crepe dish. Everyone that had waited with us for entry had eaten and left before we were served our food. My burger was cold and I wouldn't eat it. The waitress came and I told her that my food was cold (my wife's crepe's actually were a little frozen but she was the silent suffering type back in those days). She snapped it off the table with a flourish and practically threw on the table not 5 minutes later, rattling our beverages. My burger was hot as were the nuked french frys, pickles, tomato's and lettuce. I counted out one penny more than the bill when we left (my burger plate went untouched). The waitress ran out the door telling me I had forgotten my change. Gathering up my best smile, I said sweetly, "Oh no, that's for you". Some people walking in, heard this and asked what was going on. I told them the story and they left without entering. The place (out of town btw) closed not 6 months later. I told this story to a truck driver friend and started laughing. It seems that he stopped at the same place, made a delivery and decided to eat there. The owner ran up to him and in front of other customers demanded to know "how stupid was he? and what was he doing there?" as she had made it clear that "you people were told to use the back door"! He said, "Lady, I'll tell you how stupid I am, I'm taking the package back to Milwaukee and you can pay twice to have it delivered again". Some people just don't belong in the industry I guess.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 00:52:50 (permalink)
    I saw Rev. Al and Chris Rock's mom on CNN today. They are making a point, I guess. Obviously, getting press.

I used to frequent a restaurant in my neighborhood. Most of the employees know me, and know me to be a "decent" customer/tipper. There is no host/hostess; it's a "seat yourself" establishment.

One day, I walked in and seated myself, and waited, and waited, and waited. I tried to get a servers' attention {most, of which, I knew}. It wasn't very busy, and did not understand the lack of attention. Did one server think the other was waiting on me? I don't know, but after twenty minutes, I left.

I went one block down the street, had a GREAT burger, for less than I would have paid at the previous establishment, tipped well, and felt satisfied that the other place didn't know what they missed by slighting me.

And, of course, I haven't been back.

" />
    adbunting
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 08:16:39 (permalink)
    Ahem...

If that's the case then we should be able to sue 10x over...

My daughter and I went to the Lynchburg Cracker Barrel. Not only did we wait for almost an hour (in spite of asking...but since we weren't in a hurry I wanted to 'see'), they got our order completely wrong!

Tip meter went into the negative...Manager comped us but still...

The times I've had poorly prepared meat I've been told they "time it" as to how long it's on the grill.

I'm sorry, but I can't see sitting by an egg timer for each piece of meat. I guess I'm too much of a mother hen that way. You might as well put it in a microwave with their method.

Being comped to get more food at a place that makes bad food in the first place? Um...I think I'll pass.

It seems to be a trend with the CB chain.

Overrated.

April

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 08:45:48 (permalink)
    I have a favorite breakfast place that makes the most awesome corned beef hash and sausages, they have their own farm and everything is fresh from there. We've gone to this place for at least 15 years, not always every week but sometimes twice in a weekend. Recently we went and I had a wonderful plat of CBH while SO ordered an omelette. SO is vegetarian and this omelette came infused with big chunks of ham to the point that they could not be just plucked out without destroying everything. The omelette was returned and I was told to go ahead and eat while SO ate some of my toast in waiting. Well, we waited and waited. Every table around us was now being delivered large plates of food, probably 6 or more tables worth of food but no omelette. We waited some more, another table of 4 getting plates of food so now SO is livid and asks for the check, I was long done eating. The waitress could only say "well I took the omelette off your check". Upon leaving, the owner was at the register where I politely said, we waited for a very long time and never got the omelette, all the owner did was smile and say "well we were busy", no apologies. How long does it take to stick a omelette on a grille when your'e already making a dozen? Sadly I'll probably never have that wonderful CBH again.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 09:29:42 (permalink)
    sad story about your cbh, one of my favorites also.
    cracker barell is one of our favorite places to stop when we are onthe road. we have never ever in many years had a bad experience at one. food has always been top notch(for a chain), and service also.
    once, however service was slow, and this may explain the 'rock' incident.....
    we were seated in a section where the server just went on half hour break, and no one took over the section. wll, i didnt wait a half hour, because of my restaurant experience, i was aware that the hostess was not informed of the floor plan changes. i caught the floor manager, informed him that the section was still being seated and no one was either picking up new tables, nor checking on the existing customers in that section. easy fix, and all was well after that.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 09:33:33 (permalink)
    Kland01s you can have the CBH again, just don't let SO no!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 10:10:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

Kland01s you can have the CBH again, just don't let SO no!

Great idea!
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 13:56:23 (permalink)
    An "alternative" restaurant had this review in our local weekly:
    The "World Famous" Bremen Beef ($6.50), "Burn Mama, Burn" ($5.50) -- a combo of grilled cabbage, hot peppers and provolone -- and the Turkey Delight ($6) are a few of the most popular menu items.

Bremen Café offers breakfast, lunch and dinner, serving every night until 2 a.m. except Sundays, when the kitchen closes at 11 p.m.

Noshing at The Bremen, however, isn't a "quick bite" experience. The café atmosphere is extremely laid back,(italics mine-MFL) and the wait-time for food can be 20 minutes -- or longer(!). An opportunity, perhaps, to revive dormant Centipede skills.
    [They have quite a few vintage video games-MFL]

I'm guessing that the "alternative" part is going out for poor service.

Dam, I sound just like my sainted parents complaining about the "younger" generation.

V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 16:00:53 (permalink)
    I'm sorry for being a bad person but anyone who goes to CB gets what they deserve.
    Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 16:23:24 (permalink)
    in my years as a server in the restaurant biz, the best places i worked in gave us no more than 3 minutes from the time a party was seated to greet them and get a drink order...anything more than 3 minutes was unacceptable to the management...now, as a customer i am very grouchy when i eat out if the server doesn't at least come by and say "how are you tonight? i'll be right with you" once we've been seated for 5 minutes...
    ...i can't see sueing anyone over being ignored in a restaurant because i would have walked out...!
    Smithers
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/20 17:32:17 (permalink)
    My feeling is that 3 to 4 minutes is the longest a party should wait before the waiter asks if they want to order drinks.

Now the big question is how long is too long from the time that food is ordered to when the appetizers come?
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/21 08:13:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Smithers

My feeling is that 3 to 4 minutes is the longest a party should wait before the waiter asks if they want to order drinks.

Now the big question is how long is too long from the time that food is ordered to when the appetizers come?

Or, how about my pet peeve:
    How long should one be forced to wait for the bill, and then to wait again for change or for the credit card receipt? While waiting for food can be annoying, the seemingly interminable wait for the bill and/or the change/receipt is even more annoying. When I am ready to leave, I resent having to hang around for an extra 20 minutes.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/21 09:33:52 (permalink)
    I just have never been impressed with Cracker Barrel at all.They are always busy no matter what time,which location or what state I visit.I have found the food mediocre at best,and expensive.Dont get me wrong, I will pay top dollar anywhere if it is deserved,but my experiences at CB havent been good.I am white and I have had to wait for 20-30 minutes for service there.Lawsuit?Nah-just wont return.(although i love their little store where I can find my hard to find hard candies)
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/21 09:45:18 (permalink)
    Last weekend I was passing through Boone NC and saw a new bbq place. I decided to drop the wife at a curtain place and run over to grab a rack of ribs, a lb of pulled pork, and an appetizer to take home.

I placed my order and paid. At the 20 minute mark I asked the waitress to check on the order. She came back and said they were finishing it now and it would only be a minute.

At the 25 minute mark I told the waitress I was about out of time and needed the order or my money back..I simply had to go one way or another.

She disappeared...the manager came out, asked what the problem was so I explained it to him. He said "I'll get your money".

5 minutes later...at the half hour mark. He returned with my money. I was annoyed and his attitude sucked...like I was causing a problem. If I had ANY more time (my wife had been waiting for about 10 minutes already), I would have chewed on him for a few minutes so I felt better ;-)

In the end, I left hungry, no food was offered, and I was treated like the bad guy. But that's life sometimes. The manager was black but this wasn't racial...it was just poor service. I won't be filing a lawsuit. And I won't be going back.

Mores the pitty since they had some good blues playing, all the tv's tuned to different football games, and they had a bar...my kind of BBQ place...if the food was good.

I forget the name of the place but it was Blue's and BBQ or BBQ and Blues...something like that. I don't recommend them.

Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/21 10:31:43 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I hate to say this...but it is in the hands of the manager on duty,
    and if he/she is a slacker, there is usually a woman that actually carries the responsibility of the product of an establishment. They make it happen, they produce, but aren't responsible for what happens on the floor. I have worked at a few places where the male/female manager is a ..... (you use your word),
    and the women really carry and care about what is going on.
    Not to be sexist, there are also men who care,
    but they usually leave or just give up when things don't happen the
    way they believe things should be going or want.
    Most don't get paid enough to really care, yet they really care enough
    to do a good job. We can all recall bad experiences, but no one
    recalls the good service we been given.
    But that's not what this thread is about.
    It's about how long should one wait for service.
    You have to see what is happening at the moment. If a place
    is busy and nutty with customers, you can expect to have a slow
    sitting and serving time if you want quality. Restaurants and the
    people who work there aren't our enemies.
    Now, if the thread is about prejudices....that is another matter.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/21 13:30:43 (permalink)
    My two most memorable experiences regarding service ----1 good -----1 even better.

It was a Sunday afternoon after the local high school football game. The whole family (6 of us)was seated and given menus by a woman who was hectic. After waiting about 10 minutes I looked around and noticed no one was being taken care of and the place was pretty full. The doors(pair of swinging)to the kitchen opened and the owner appeared dressed in the chef's outfit. He announced that the chef had been taken ill and he had to take over the kitchen and if everyone would be patient and pitch in to help dinner would be 1/2 price. He asked us to get our own water, drinks, and bread and to order only from the specials of the day. Since we were not in a hurry it seemed like a good deal to me. It worked out fine and now years later it is still a very good memory. We went back often.

Years later my wife and I finished a day at Yosemite National Park. We were tired and hot. The first restaurant we came to after leaving the park was not that full and we just wanted to sit down, have a drink and enjoy the rest of a great day. We were seated and waited and waited. I asked a waitress for help, she replied the waiter had our table. The waiter was standing right next to my shoulder talking about baseball to a man at the table next to ours. I tapped him on the back and he turned and said "I'll be with you in a minute".

I got up and went to the bar ordered a Bourbon Manhattan and a Chardonnay and asked for the manager. The boss said the drinks were on the house and walked me back to my table where he took the young waiter back to the kitchen with him. The service was perfect after that. We were only tourists and would never be back to that restaurant, but the manager (or owner) impressed me.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/21 14:38:35 (permalink)
    Years ago we went to an Italian place in Philadelphia. It was a local joint with plenty of locals, everyone was eating. Unfortunately we were not locals. We waited for 15 minutes before we were offered any service. No menus, no water, no anything. The waitress arrived and asked us what we would have. We told her that we had not recieved a menu but asked what she would reccommed. She stated and I quote, "If I were you I wouldn't even eat here." We took her advise.

BB
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: How long is too long for service ??? 2006/10/21 16:45:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

I just went back and re-read the article which is in a Charlotte, SC paper.
    When Mrs Rock finally complained to the Manager she was offered free meals. I think they refused and left and complained to some agency in Carolina.

But--------- now the Rev. Al Sharpton has heard about this incident and he is financing the law suit. The Headline read--------Cracker Barrel just for Crackers ????

Hate to tell though this but Charlotte is in NC not SC.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1