The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

How long to smoke brats?

EddyBees Dogs

• Total Posts: 187
How long to smoke brats? Wed, 05/24/06 1:57 AM (permalink)
I have some huge fresh brats I wanna smoke in my new Silver Smoker. How long will it take? I will be using straight hickory wood. They need to cooked to 180, and I dont want them to shrink to much.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
    RE: How long to smoke brats? Wed, 05/24/06 6:16 PM (permalink)
    Why dont you just give them a swat on the behind if they are being brats?
    No need to put them in the smoker!
    (groan)

roossy90

RE: How long to smoke brats? Wed, 05/24/06 6:32 PM (permalink)
      [8D
      quote:
      Originally posted by xannie_01

roossy,

yer so punny

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: How long to smoke brats? Wed, 05/24/06 6:34 PM (permalink)
        Depending on your smoker temp, I'd check them every couple hours. Pick one in the middle as the test dummy and probe it.. But I'd wait 3 to 4 hours for the initial test. I have a electric one I use outside, temps vary inside with the outside temp being the variable. (It's similar to a Big Chief, with no vent control, etc.. Something that I use to make Jerky with (works great), and on occasion, finishing off some chicken).

Hopefully someone with far more experience will come forward.
        You can always post on www.sausagemaking.org also.

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
          RE: How long to smoke brats? Thu, 05/25/06 12:46 AM (permalink)
          Cook them till they're ready to be throw away, then throw them away and get some Italian sausages if you want pork in casings.
          I hate brats.
          I just don't get it.

EddyBees Dogs

RE: How long to smoke brats? Thu, 05/25/06 2:12 AM (permalink)
            Thank you Uncle Vic.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
              RE: How long to smoke brats? Thu, 05/25/06 7:55 AM (permalink)
              Not specific to Bratwurst, but for all sausage. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/sausage1.html

Why do you "need" to cook them to 180°??

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: How long to smoke brats? Thu, 05/25/06 8:07 AM (permalink)
                Porkbeaks, brats need to be cooked to 180 because they're a pork product (the worm deal). Plus they come raw, unlike hot dogs that are pre-cooked before you get them.

Jim in NC

• Total Posts: 186
                  RE: How long to smoke brats? Thu, 05/25/06 8:20 AM (permalink)
                  Do you want to cold smoke them or cook 'em?

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                    RE: How long to smoke brats? Thu, 05/25/06 8:48 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by UncleVic

Porkbeaks, brats need to be cooked to 180 because they're a pork product (the worm deal). Plus they come raw, unlike hot dogs that are pre-cooked before you get them.

Most everything I read including Paul Kirk's "Championship Barbecue"), says that pork sausage needs to be cooked to 165°. Pork tenderloin needs to be cooked to only 155° to be safe.

When is the last time you ever heard of someone in this country getting trichinosis?? pb

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
                      RE: How long to smoke brats? Thu, 05/25/06 8:56 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by porkbeaks
                      When is the last time you ever heard of someone in this country getting trichinosis?? pb

Pork, I 've heard more than once from different sources that fear of undercooking pork is an antiquated issue. Apparently parasitic worms iare no longer a threat to our health.
                      Personally, I don't think I could stomach eating rare pork. . . old habits and tastes are hard to break. I don't even like underdone lamb. I love lamb, but always had it cooked through as a kid. Well, if I buy good chops, I'll leave them pink in the center.

Tom-Fl

• Total Posts: 74
                        RE: How long to smoke brats? Thu, 05/25/06 8:56 AM (permalink)
                        I think most of the cooks,not the gov't -or a writer wishing to cover their butt,would say the magic temp would be about 155º and the carry over heat will take them to about 160º.

Most would grill them,but depends on how much smoke you want.

You could run them awhile at 180º,and finish about 225º for a pretty good smoke.

Depending on size,2 hrs would be a long time.

Tom

roossy90

RE: How long to smoke brats? Sun, 05/28/06 1:40 AM (permalink)
                          Not to gross out, but I have eaten the meat part of bacon, Raw, yah, I am still alive.

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
                            RE: How long to smoke brats? Sun, 05/28/06 1:45 AM (permalink)
                            I am told that the old insistence on cooking pork to well-done no longer applies,because hogs are not fed slop anymore.Thus the parasitic worms are no longer a concern.Truthfully,I wouldnt have anything to do with rare pork in any case.

EddyBees Dogs

RE: How long to smoke brats? Sun, 05/28/06 1:56 AM (permalink)
                              Ok, all trychynosis concerns aside, have you ever eaten, liked, paid for, and be back for a bratwurst that has a mushy center? I really wanna stay in business with return customers.

prisonchef

• Total Posts: 296
                                RE: How long to smoke brats? Sun, 05/28/06 8:43 AM (permalink)
                                eddy,
                                tom hit this one right on the head!!!!! follow his advice and temps. by the way a nice wood choice if you can get it would be apple or pecan

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                  RE: How long to smoke brats? Sun, 05/28/06 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                  Consider investing in a remote thermometer. No more guess work or opening the door losing your heat.

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: How long to smoke brats? Sun, 05/28/06 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                    I had to write a HACCP report for my county health department. HACCP, or hazard analysis critical control point is a process a food producer or establishment can use to develop a food safety plan. The HACCP procedure identifies critical control points and aids in the development of food process safety control measures.I figured hell as long as I have to write this thing I might as well write it as a "How To" for my employees. Here is a section from that 10 page manual.By the way if you'd like a copy of the entire HACCP email me at Jack@DrofBBQ.com.

All smoked products must be cooked to an internal temperature consistent with Section 750.180 of the Public Health Rules contained in the Food Service Sanitation Code. Pork needs to be cooked until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 for 3 minutes. Pork loins may be cooked to an internal temperature of 138 and removed from the smoking chamber then double wrapped in aluminum foil with the shiny side in and placed in a powered dry steam table for a period of 15 minutes. The internal temperature will rise by 8 to 12 degrees during this resting period. Pork shoulders should be cooked until reaching an internal temperature of 170 degrees or above. Pork shoulders will sometimes require an even higher internal temperature before becoming ready to be pulled. I will discuss the pulling process in a different chapter. There are two methods of cooking a piece of meat to ensure that it is safe for consumption. Instant-kill and time-temperature kill. Cooks should be cautioned to minimize the time that food is in the temperature zone that enhances bacterial growth-40 degrees to 140 degrees.
                                    Many of us are familiar with the traditional instant-kill temperature for most bacteria, 160 degrees F. Many types of meat that have been quickly cooked to 160 degrees F are tough and dry and have lost most of their flavor. Fortunately, bacteria can be killed just as dead by holding the meat at lower temperatures for a longer period of time. The FDA Food Code now specifies flexible time/temperature combinations to kill bacteria. Meat that is slowly brought up to safe internal temperature will be much juicer due to decreased moisture loss than with the more traditional high temperature roasting.

Remember the process is designed to ensure the production of a safe product, and yet a tender juicy product. Redness or pinkness in pork and poultry can come from nitrites. Nitrites enter the meat through such environmental sources as the animals food and water supply and the water used for washing prior to processing and as a preservative (such as a brine) during processing. Nitrites produce the color we associate with cured meats such as ham and bologna.

Chicken or Pork can also have a surface redness that barbecue cooks refer to as the smoke ring. The smoke ring is a result of a reaction between the myoglobin in the chicken and wood smoke. When wood burns its nitrogen content combines with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide (NO2). The pink ring is created when NO2 is absorbed into the moist meat surface and reacts to form nitrous acid. The nitrous acid diffuses inward creating a pink ring which is actually a thin layer of cured meat. Gas fired cookers can also produce a smoke ring because NO2 is combustion by product, when natural gas or propane is burned.

Cooking partially frozen poultry is a likely source of redness in poultry and is probably the primary source of undercooked meat. It is a very easy and unintentional thing to do. Because most poultry purchased at the grocery meat counter will be partially frozen at the time of purchase it is best to let the frozen birds completely thaw under refrigeration. Thawing, must be done under refrigeration 41o F or less.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                                      RE: How long to smoke brats? Sun, 05/28/06 9:20 PM (permalink)
                                      I sometimes eat a small piece of raw bacon and I am still alive.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com