How much Smoke is too much?

Author
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
2005/02/08 12:33:00 (permalink)

How much Smoke is too much?

This past Superbowl I did some ribs on my grill and tried something different.Instead of feeding Hickory Chips during the whole cooking time I just threw a good handful on at the begginning and that was it.I think I read somewhere that the food takes on most of the smoke flavor during the first hour or so of cooking.They were still pretty smoky but not overly smoky if you know what I mean.How do you smoke?

7 Replies Related Threads

acoustic blues
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: How much Smoke is too much? 2005/02/08 13:38:28 (permalink)
    jellybear, I make bbq with a Weber Smokey Mountain water smoker. If I'm doing ribs, I will use about 3 fist sized chunks of apple. That is all it takes. The ribs are on for 5-6 hrs. Very low and slow cook. If I'm doing a brisket or a pork butt then 4 chunks of oak or apple or a mix. These cooks go for 12-16 hrs. The smoke ring is always perfect. I think most agree that the meat takes on the smoke in the early part of the cook.
    I have never smoked anything on my grill. I just use it as a grill. Lots of folks get good results with a grill going low and slow I've heard. Maybe try chunks next time for more smoke.

Happy Q'en

AB
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: How much Smoke is too much? 2005/02/08 14:10:31 (permalink)
    I smoke with a some foil any left over toilet paper rolls and some tape, sometimes pop can, I’ve also used two knives and a hot plate….a toaster got involved once, not a smart idea.

As for ribs I use a cook shack smoker. You only use 2-3 oz’s of wood, set at 225 for 4-5 hours. I like to wrap mine in foil and throw them back in for another ½ hour. Any time I've added extra wood I haven't been happy.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: How much Smoke is too much? 2005/02/08 15:14:44 (permalink)
    I smoke on WSMs at contests and now have a Cookshack/Fast Eddy pellet fed smoker for my larger cooking jobs. On the WSMs, I use four or five chunks of either peach or cherry wood when I am making ribs.

One caution, if you give them too much smoke late in the cooking process, they will build up creosote on the meat and give you the strong smokiness and even some bitterness. And you don't need to see much smoke for the meat to be picking up the flavor. This is a common misconception. In fact, when I use my WSMs, I will put the chunks of wood in with the charcoal and let the outside get charred before I put the meat in. Doing this, you will get a whiter and clearer smoke which is good for smoking with.

Enjoy.

John
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: How much Smoke is too much? 2005/02/08 16:06:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

I smoke with a some foil any left over toilet paper rolls and some tape, sometimes pop can, I’ve also used two knives and a hot plate….a toaster got involved once, not a smart idea.

As for ribs I use a cook shack smoker. You only use 2-3 oz’s of wood, set at 225 for 4-5 hours. I like to wrap mine in foil and throw them back in for another ½ hour. Any time I've added extra wood I haven't been happy.

Edge, when I was working at a record store in the '70's, we sold paraphenalia too.
    One day a couple of the local Beavis & Butthead types brought in a USED bong to exchange. They said it didn't work right. We traded them a new pipe for the old and off to the dumpster it went. I always loved the knife trick.

SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: How much Smoke is too much? 2005/02/19 17:53:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

Edge, when I was working at a record store in the '70's, we sold paraphenalia too.
    One day a couple of the local Beavis & Butthead types brought in a USED bong to exchange. They said it didn't work right. We traded them a new pipe for the old and off to the dumpster it went. I always loved the knife trick.

Whoa! Like dude, how do you smoke with two knives and a hot plate? "the knife trick?!" I didn't think anyone could show ME any new tricks.
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: How much Smoke is too much? 2005/02/19 17:58:24 (permalink)
    Barbeque smokin is great. I cook a whole lot of things and have gotten pretty good at quite a few dishes, but barbequeing always has something more to learn. Sometimes my ribs come out really really great and other times they just come out pretty good. A friend of mine told me that a bunch of ribs I made this past spring were the best he's ever had. . . he's had at least three batches of mine since then.
    Am I just not consistent or is that other's experience?
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: How much Smoke is too much? 2005/02/19 19:02:14 (permalink)
    I think it depends on the quality of the ribs. My recipe doesn't change, but sometimes your just like wow! And other times hmpf...what happened here?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1