The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

How much $$$

Raine

• Total Posts: 196
How much $$$ Thu, 04/28/05 10:07 AM (permalink)
Is a fair wage for employees?

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
    RE: How much $$$ Thu, 04/28/05 10:18 AM (permalink)
    Raine, what is a fair wage for employees? I don't think there is a simple answer for this. Although I'm not in the restaurant business, the same factors apply to almost all employers.

1. Location - certain major cities such as New York, LA, San Francisco, will always have higher wages than smaller towns, and certain regions of the US will also be higher. Where are you located?

2. Job - there are a wide range of jobs and experience required to do them properly. Which specific jobs are you referring to? How good do you want your help to be? Do you want to be able to depend on someone and trust them to surpass your customers expectations, or do you want to baby-sit?

3. Benefits - while there are few benefits offered to most food service workers, some will more than make up for a slightly lower wage.

Maybe you could expand a bit on your original questions, and I bet there will be some interesting replies.

Raine

RE: How much $$$ Thu, 04/28/05 10:24 AM (permalink)
      Located in a smal town about 14,000 just outside Charlotte.

All positions, line cook, cashier, wait staff.

Would like to have dependable, trustworthy employees.

Benefits, porbably not much in the begining.

We want to be fair, but not break the company before it gets started. Salaries, benefits would increase as the business does well.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
        RE: How much $$$ Thu, 04/28/05 12:19 PM (permalink)
        Check with similar business's in your area

klkruger

• Total Posts: 9
          RE: How much $$$ Sun, 06/19/05 8:45 PM (permalink)
          I've always paid more, sometimes much more, than comparable businesses in the area. It's much easier to be demanding, keep expectations high, hire and fire, when you're offering a better wage.

Certainly, it can be more difficult to do when opening but I've found, after opening many places from inexpensive cafes to high-end white tablecloth restaurants, that it has served me best--even at the beginning. I hire fewer people at the outset, pay more, demand a LOT. When the place gets going I add to staff judiciously, and I count on the staff I've had from the beginning to help get the new hire(s) assimilated. This approach has worked for me best, and for others for whom I've consulted. I have far fewer employee 'problems' (having to babysit employees, employee theft, turnover, et. al.) than my colleagues that complain about their staffs frequently.

One other somewhat related thing: However you choose to be called by your staff (Miss, Ms, Mrs, Chef, by your first name), cultivate an appropriate employer-employee 'distance'. It allows being demanding to work better, especially in an informal setting where it can be tempting for employees who don't feel the proper separation of the relationship to slack. Don't engage in personal info exchanges. Don't socialize with your staff outside of your establishment. If you socialize at your place, maintain the role of the benefactor, not an equal. A firm--but polite, polite--but demanding, friendly--but with a distance befitting the head honcho, will serve you well.

Best of luck.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: How much $$$ Sun, 06/19/05 9:42 PM (permalink)

I am not a Pro in your line of work. However as one who dealt with young folks in the 18-23 age group as my students I learned one thing about the 'wage scale vs quality of work ethic' on their part. Many of these 'kids' worked at various FF establishments in our area. All of them claimed that the BEST place to work was In n Out...as opposed to BK KFC McDnlds Etc and we had all the major places. The reason given in surveys I took of my students each year was that In n Out treated them like a person (employee) not a robot. They made at least a dollar an hour more than the other ff places paid, They had benefits and earned sick leave and vacation time if they worked more than 24 hours a week and the stores granted a form of profit sharing which gave bonus's for high profitability each quarter. This also helped the store stop the 'free giveaways' to friends that is so common between H S age kids in some businesses. Crew's tended to police themselves because 'slackers' on the team would cause the other workers bonus money if they wated material or slowed the process. I was suprised how strongly a number of my kids voiced their feelings about the profitsharing concept.
            If you are in an area where there are a number of folks with the skills you need in key jobs,you should pay more than your competition to attract good people. For the routine jobs be ready to hire at a set wage, but grant some form of reward (raise) after a probationary period if the employee does a good job. This will help retain good people and the word should spread that you have a good place to work.

Raine

RE: How much $$$ Mon, 06/20/05 9:03 AM (permalink)
              We were thinking of doing breakfast, but can't find anyone to work mornings. So, we are gonna scratch breakfast for now. May add it later down the road, if we can staff it.

Caramel Copper

• Total Posts: 66
                RE: How much $$$ Tue, 06/21/05 7:39 PM (permalink)
                I can only comment on the employee end. If your Res. does well cut the employees in on the take. I remember one night at the catfish house I had been working for 18 hours....the house was packed. The owner gave me a "bonus" of $10.00. I came as close to puking on his shoes as I ever have. Keeping in mind there was no Dishpit, only a triple sink with a guy on work release washing dishes by hand I almost slit the owners throat :). My elbow joints still ache from pulling the fishload out of the fryers. (4)
                Share the wealth and you will succeed.

Copper

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                  RE: How much $$$ Tue, 06/21/05 8:10 PM (permalink)
                  Slightly echoing some of the sentiments above, but really just adding what I think is a good practice for any business.

Give your employees a sense of "ownership", in that if the business does well, they will benefit financially and have a chance to grow with the company. KNOW what each employee does and how they contribute. Reward loyalty and good performance that makes your business grow. Be up front about your expectations at the interview and beyond...

Hire people with spirit (more important than experience), mold and encourage good performance, then be honest with them and follow through on your promises. All that means a lot more than the actual salary, even to those young folks who don't even realize it yet.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                    RE: How much $$$ Tue, 06/21/05 10:48 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by berndog

I don't think there is a simple answer for this.

Sure there is. The answer is: As little as it takes to get (and keep--that's important) the number and quality of staff you want. If you have people beating down your door to work in your place, you are paying too much. If you have trouble getting people or lose them repeatedly to other work, you aren't paying enough. Figuring out the exact number may take some time, but obviously a good starting point may come from looking at what the competition pays (which will vary depending on where you are, the kind of food you serve, local wage laws and customs and so on). And it may help to let your staff know that if they find a better deal elsewhere, you are open to at least considering the possibility of meeting it. That way, you'll find out quicker what the reality is in your community and you may retain quality people you'd otherwise lose.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                      RE: How much $$$ Tue, 06/21/05 10:51 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Raine

We were thinking of doing breakfast, but can't find anyone to work mornings. So, we are gonna scratch breakfast for now. May add it later down the road, if we can staff it.

I'm quite sure you could "find (someone) to work mornings" if you paid enough so the real question is can you make money offering breakfast while paying what you have to to hire staff. Sounds like perhaps a shift differential is in order--higher pay for undesirable shifts or time periods.

Raine

RE: How much $$$ Wed, 06/22/05 8:05 AM (permalink)
                        No, the pay is not it. Nobody wants to get up that early. Even the retired folks who really want a huge salary.
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by BT

I'm quite sure you could "find (someone) to work mornings" if you paid enough so the real question is can you make money offering breakfast while paying what you have to to hire staff. Sounds like perhaps a shift differential is in order--higher pay for undesirable shifts or time periods.

Raine

RE: How much $$$ Wed, 06/22/05 8:06 AM (permalink)
                          We have discussed profit sharing. If the business does well, everyone gets a bonus.
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Caramel Copper

I can only comment on the employee end. If your Res. does well cut the employees in on the take. I remember one night at the catfish house I had been working for 18 hours....the house was packed. The owner gave me a "bonus" of $10.00. I came as close to puking on his shoes as I ever have. Keeping in mind there was no Dishpit, only a triple sink with a guy on work release washing dishes by hand I almost slit the owners throat :). My elbow joints still ache from pulling the fishload out of the fryers. (4)
                          Share the wealth and you will succeed.

Copper

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com