How often do you clean your deep fryer?

Author
dasolutionsinc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
2010/05/06 12:45:45 (permalink)

How often do you clean your deep fryer?

two questions.
1. how often do you clean your deep fryers?
2. if you deep fry say hot dogs and fries would you suggest two fryers? One for the dogs and a 2nd for the fries?

I hear people change their oil like once a week but I know a place that never changes their oil they just keep adding more when needed. They claim it keeps the flavor better.

19 Replies Related Threads

Ice Cream Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 13:41:31 (permalink)
    One place we used to frequent before it was sold had the best fish and chips I have ever had.
    A friend of mine knew the owner and said it was because he cleaned his fryers every night.
    4 friers, 1 for fries, one for fish, one for sea food, one for odd ball stuff.
    In my opinion there's nothing worse than fries that look like they were cooked in motor oil.
    dasolutionsinc
    Junior Burger
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 14:14:24 (permalink)
    Ice Cream Man

One place we used to frequent before it was sold had the best fish and chips I have ever had.
    A friend of mine knew the owner and said it was because he cleaned his fryers every night.
    4 friers, 1 for fries, one for fish, one for sea food, one for odd ball stuff.
    In my opinion there's nothing worse than fries that look like they were cooked in motor oil.

Wow every night. That can get very pricey.
    That is great that he had different fryers for everything.
    I always think you should have a fryer for just fries but not sure how many do it like that.

boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 14:54:48 (permalink)
     We do a large volume of business so our fryers get changed every two days or so. The boss doesn't believe in filtering so we spend a lot of money just on oil. I recommend filtering the oil every night and changing out the oil every third day, depending on volume. I would use separate fryers for dogs and fries. I don't like off flavors on my fries. Since there are a lot of people allergic to shell fish we fry shrimp and other seafood in a separate fryer.

JMHO

David O.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 15:28:10 (permalink)
    You should be able to get a good life out of your oil, fries & dog will not kill the oil like other food. Seafood, battered items kill the oil, skim the top layer off the oil as much as possible. keep the oil going as long as possible, its not cheap. The places that do a real large volume of frying have filtering systems with hoses that wash and filter the oil in minutes ............... Billyb
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 15:34:59 (permalink)
    we filter every day if you are breading change oil every three days or more depending on volume and alternate days to clean the fryers
    and use the new oil for ff and the older oil for meat . seafood always on its own.you look at oil as part of your food cost
    like 5 cents per order you can devide # of cooked items to the oil cost.like 500 orders of ff in 3 days and the oil cost 40$oil cost is 8 cents per order. meat and fish mess up a fryer faster than ffs .also check your oil temp every 2-3 daysif your fryers run hot it burns oil faster
    dasolutionsinc
    Junior Burger
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 15:35:57 (permalink)
    BillyB

You should be able to get a good life out of your oil, fries & dog will not kill the oil like other food. Seafood, battered items kill the oil, skim the top layer off the oil as much as possible. keep the oil going as long as possible, its not cheap. The places that do a real large volume of frying have filtering systems with hoses that wash and filter the oil in minutes ............... Billyb

boyardee65

We do a large volume of business so our fryers get changed every two days or so. The boss doesn't believe in filtering so we spend a lot of money just on oil. I recommend filtering the oil every night and changing out the oil every third day, depending on volume. I would use separate fryers for dogs and fries. I don't like off flavors on my fries. Since there are a lot of people allergic to shell fish we fry shrimp and other seafood in a separate fryer.

JMHO

David O.

Thanks for the info Billyb and boyardee65

dasolutionsinc
    Junior Burger
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 15:43:18 (permalink)
    bdtn

we filter every day if you are breading change oil every three days or more depending on volume and alternate days to clean the fryers
    and use the new oil for ff and the older oil for meat . seafood always on its own.you look at oil as part of your food cost
    like 5 cents per order you can devide # of cooked items to the oil cost.like 500 orders of ff in 3 days and the oil cost 40$oil cost is 8 cents per order. meat and fish mess up a fryer faster than ffs .also check your oil temp every 2-3 daysif your fryers run hot it burns oil faster

At the start I plan on dogs and fries only nothing breaded. Also will be using canola oil. I want to keep the oil temp at 375F
    I do want to have different fryers one for the dogs and a 2nd for the fries. I plan on making Belgian Fries.
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 16:18:19 (permalink)
    my last place in or. was belgian we did our first fry at 300 then crisped at 350 also water kills oil fast. i now need to make frites and mussels for dinner since you mentioned frys.
     are you going to top them with remoulade sauce some times i put curry powder in it its out of this world.
    dasolutionsinc
    Junior Burger
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 16:24:59 (permalink)
    bdtn

my last place in or. was belgian we did our first fry at 300 then crisped at 350 also water kills oil fast. i now need to make frites and mussels for dinner since you mentioned frys.
     are you going to top them with remoulade sauce some times i put curry powder in it its out of this world.

I plan on frying them after a water bath on 320F for like 8 minutes. Once they are ready for an order I will fry them for 2 minutes on 375F.
    I only top them with Sea Salt. I make an awesome garlic Aioli that I will serve with them.
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/06 16:27:54 (permalink)
    sounds good you can put anything on frys it only makes them better
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1991
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/07 00:03:30 (permalink)
    I do hand cut fries....that's all that gets fried through the week, Fridays do fish tacos, change the oil on Saturday.
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/07 00:08:16 (permalink)
    there's a place out by us that have something called GREEK Fries,  This is an instant hit with ppl. It's french fries, Feta cheese crumbled on top, oregano shake on top, and a few squirts of oil & vinegar. = YUM !!!
    AZdog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/07 01:36:21 (permalink)
    This question makes me wonder.

I only do about 10-15 orders of fries a day. I only use it for hand-cut fries, nothing else. I have been going 2 weeks before changing the oil.  The weird thing is, when I change the oil and use fresh oil - it appears that the fries are not frying uniformly. What would be the reason for that?

Also, what are the benefits / negatives with going with a vegetable shortening in a deep fryer as opposed to oil?
    post edited by AZdog - 2010/05/07 01:38:18
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/07 05:00:35 (permalink)
     In older oil, the particulates have had a chance to burn a little and that degrades the oil. You will achieve a great color on your product but it will taste a little like a potato chip. Some people like this and some operators retain a little of the original filtered oil to add to new oil for the flavor. I notice also that new oil doesn't give great color and also imparts an off flavor to fries and other foods. It's like the oil itself imparts too much of it's own flavor.
    Kind of bland if you ask me.

AZ DOG, oil and shortening are two different things entirely. Shortening has a lower smoke point than some vegetable oils. Depending on the product you will want to vary the heat. For higher frying temps I recommend peanut oil and for lower temps I recommend canola or soy oil.

I use bacon fat for pan frying fish, C.F.S. and chicken. I usually cook these at a lower temp for a longer period of time.

JMHO

David O.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/07 07:32:37 (permalink)
    All good info, only thing I'd add, is you might try and check out rice bran oil.  Here at least it is not anymore expensive, has a very high smoke point, takes a long time before we get a lot of foaming, and all the good health points also.  We've been using it for years now and will never go back to anything else.  But last time I discussed this with folks from the states rice bran oil was not widely available and quite expensive, so not sure if this is possible/feasible for you.  
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/07 08:40:02 (permalink)
    Rice Bran oil is $37.64 for 35#
    Soy creamy      $22.00 for 35#
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 398
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/07 08:47:56 (permalink)
    Yike's, that is a BIG difference, I wonder why, the US is one of the largest rice producers, perhaps the largest in the world, Thailand ranks up there also, so I thought the price would be a bit more equal than that, never saw a price before, but well if you can afford the difference for your products, its well worth looking at.

Also if any of you make your own mayo, I've never found a more neutral oil with regards to flavor, it's a good choice in that category, and perhaps not as cost sensitive.
    fryhappy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/26 17:47:16 (permalink)
         Changing frying oil every night gets mighty expensive, especially with multiple fryers.  It becomes not a question of "when to change the fry oil", but "when is the fry oil is ready to be changed".  And you will never confidently know unless you measure.
         Test strips purport to measure free fatty acids (FFAs) in the fry oil, but FFAs are not a reliable measure of cooking oil breakdown; FFAs are better suited to gauging the shelf life of cooking oil.  Heat, oxidation, and the food that's fried... all combine to produce by-products in the oil.  The sum of all these by-products (including FFAs) are called Total Polar Materials (TPMs) and are a good indication of the fry oil breakdown, and how much useful "fry life" is left in the oil.
         Products like the testo 270 Cooking Oil Tester measure the TPMs and temperature in the fry oil, at fry temperature, before frying food and filtering, and after filtering.  You get an objective %TPM measure that can be used along with color (not all oils darken as they age), smell, and taste.  Most restaturants use an upper limit of 24% TPM as the max reading allowed, triggering an oil change.  You still keep your filtration schedule (filtering only removes the particulates/solid matter in the oil, it does little for the chemical by-products accumulating).  Monitoring the %TPM in your cooking oil helps you both adjust your filtration schedule and verify its effectiveness.  It also allows you to maximize your oil usage, changing the oil only when it is indicated, so you don't throw out good oil too early.  Remember, oil must go through a "seasoning" phase, so food fried in fresh oil doesn't taste the same as food fried in seasoned oil.  If you change the oil before it's reached its "seasoned" point, you are just wasting good money.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:How often do you clean your deep fryer? 2010/05/26 18:33:32 (permalink)
    FILTER your oil every night and clean the fryer---change it when you can smell it!!! Our fryer had filtering system built in which made filtering ans cleaning a loT easier

post edited by tiki - 2010/05/26 18:34:50
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1