Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

How to cook a Ribeye

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 64
ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
RE: How to cook a Ribeye Sun, 12/11/05 11:37 PM (permalink)
I put ketchup on mine. I don't care how cheap or expensive it is, I like ketchup with my steak. The true test will be when I get to Peter Luger's (Brooklyn) one of these days. Will I, or won't I?

I admit, though, it mattered when a renowned food critic a few years back said: "Hey, you like ketchup on your steak? Put it on." Ah, liberation. Ain't it great?
The Bear

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 12/12/05 11:19 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rustywolf

Cut the fat ring around the meat.
    Poke cold steak with sharp fork prongs.
    Marinate at room temperature in worchester (sp?) sauce.
    In a hot cast iron skillet, heat olive oil and butter until smokin'.
    Fry steak to desired doneness (won't take long). Remove to rest.
    Lower heat, add red wine, butter, rosemary, to deglaze pan.
    Saute mushrooms and/or onions in the wine sauce.
    Pour veggies and sauce over steak.
    Marvel at your culinary genius and give thanks for beef.

I won't get into any other part of your steak-cooking method, but I have to say that poking holes in the meat will only make sure your steak is dry.

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
      RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 12/12/05 12:19 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
      Originally posted by Rustywolf

Cut the fat ring around the meat.
      Poke cold steak with sharp fork prongs.
      Marinate at room temperature in worchester (sp?) sauce.
      In a hot cast iron skillet, heat olive oil and butter until smokin'.
      Fry steak to desired doneness (won't take long). Remove to rest.
      Lower heat, add red wine, butter, rosemary, to deglaze pan.
      Saute mushrooms and/or onions in the wine sauce.
      Pour veggies and sauce over steak.
      Marvel at your culinary genius and give thanks for beef.

I won't get into any other part of your steak-cooking method, but I have to say that poking holes in the meat will only make sure your steak is dry.

I don't believe that poking holes in a steak BEFORE cooking will cause a steak to be dry. If that was true, tenderizing by using a Jaccard wouldn't work too well. Poking holes in a piece of meat AFTER searing is a different story. I always use tongs on steaks after grilling has begun in order to avoid the holes. pb

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
        RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 12/12/05 1:45 PM (permalink)
        Really.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
          RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 12/12/05 2:09 PM (permalink)
          Identical in content to, different is sequence from many others here. Rinse quickly in cold water, pat dry, coat with olive oil. Coarse-ground black pepper & salt. cook over very hot charcoal and hickory chips on a preheated grill. (I don't have a grill pan and do like the flavor imparted by charcoal and a few hickory chips. I've never done a steak in the oven or since maybe 1970, a skillet.)

Yes, let it rest. Have trouble waiting? Use the time to fix a quick salad: Jan slices avocadoes and onions (or shallots) over chopped Romaine and uses a raspberry vinaigrette. Also, sautè some small mushrooms in butter, deglaze with a dry white wine, for another side dish. Lleechef, don't hurt me for saying this, but the newly available microwave-ready baking potatoes work pretty well and cook fast.

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
            RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 12/12/05 2:44 PM (permalink)
            MIchael -
            I hate to disagree with a five-star contributor, but my steaks come out beautifully moist.
            Notice the absence of salt and pepper or spices in my recipe, since the flavor is in the worchestershire sauce marinade, which is distributed evenly throughout the steak before cooking.
            Under your prohibition against pre-cooking "poking" you couldn't "lard" a piece a venison with bacon fat, or insert garlic cloves in lamb, etc.
            Like "Porkbites" I only handle the meat with a tong to turn it once, and take it out of the cast iron pan. It never gets "poked" after it goes in the pan.
            Hey, try it!
            -Rusty

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
              RE: How to cook a Ribeye Tue, 12/13/05 3:36 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by oneiron339

In a cast iron skillet, heated up, sear the steak w/o any oil on both sides, add S & P, then lower heat to Med. and continue until desired doneness. Remove steak, add 1/2 cup of red wine and deglaze pan. When wine reduces by 1/2, add a few sliced mushrooms, green onions, and some minced garlic. When veg. are done, add about 2 T of butter. When melted, pour over the steak.
              I hate to admit that anything besides charcoal sounds good, but, dammit, this sure does. Now I have to go stand in the corner. Golfers have no business cooking. You are disgusting!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: How to cook a Ribeye Tue, 12/13/05 5:55 AM (permalink)

Rick,
                I get this vision of you standing in the corner (in the Penalty Box), at 3:36 AM this morning, while Jan finishes the 'sauce' for your 2" thick Breakfast Steak!!

Vannanutah

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: How to cook a Ribeye Thu, 01/18/07 6:24 PM (permalink)
                  So I just bought to 1"-1 1/2" ribeyes and immediatley i started marinating them in worcheshire sauce, red cooking wine, tabasco, s + p, and garlic salt. so how bad did I mess up? Because it sounds like that isn't a good idea based on the other posts. Um so should i add sea salt? or leave it alone all together? Is grilling or searing better? (based on current situation) does it make a difference? I was planning on searing it with olive oil and sea salt and then putting it in the oven at 400 for about 10 minutes and then check the temp. Let me know soon if you have any advice please

caratzas

• Total Posts: 216
                    RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 01/19/07 12:35 AM (permalink)
                    Searing on a very ridiculously hot pan and finishing in the oven @~400 always worked out best for me, and it was good enough for Julia Child so I say go for it.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                      RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 01/19/07 8:01 AM (permalink)
                      Not a Ribeye but I do them the same way. Rub with a little olive oil and kosher salt then let sit at room temp for one hour. Hit a hot grill for a couple of minutes, flip over for a couple of more minutes, remove, add a little garlic butter, and let rest for five minutes.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                        RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 01/19/07 8:17 AM (permalink)
                        Damn John,

That looks mighty tasty! Right now I could be eatin' that with a mess o' eggs (over medium) some home fries (with onion ) and some heavily buttered Texas Toast. Between B & G and Steak & Eggs, it's hard to decide what's my favorite breakfast.

I DO know what I am having for dinner tonight, though!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 01/19/07 4:06 PM (permalink)
                          I have been to the National Steak Cookoffs in Magnolia Arkansas a few times, watching them prepare their steaks is very interesting, some rub, some marinade, some poke, most will let the meat come up to room temp before placing it on the grill (heat).

I had never thought about that, when I asked why, the answer made sense.

A cold steak will take longer on the grill (heat) and there for dry out more.

Out of all the steaks I tried there (5), I have never found a bad one yet.

In cooking a steak for me, once it hits the heat it is tongs only.

Most important though, is to let the steak rest after removing it from the heat for a few minutes before cutting into it.

caratzas

• Total Posts: 216
                            RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 01/19/07 5:21 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by CajunKing

most will let the meat come up to room temp before placing it on the grill (heat).

That, and as you later say, letting it rest, really makes a huge difference. If you look at any decent cookbook they'll tell you the same thing.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3554
                              RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 01/19/07 6:12 PM (permalink)
                              I agree with Keef Richards. Even when I can grill I'd rather use my cast iron grill pan. Preheated properly, it's hard to beat a steak made in a well-seasoned grill pan.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                RE: How to cook a Ribeye Sat, 01/20/07 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                For me a steak has to be done on charcoal with a little wet hickory seasoned with a lil garlic salt and pepper.

MikeS.

CasperImproved

• Total Posts: 59
                                  RE: How to cook a Ribeye Sat, 01/20/07 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                  There is nothing better in my mind then a grilled rib-eye that is bone-in, grilled perfectly with a little bit of olive olive, garlic, and pepper. Add some smashed potatoes, and a veggie like Asparagus and a "real" buttered dinner roll

Charcoal is best, but even in-door grilled is very good :-)

Casper

thefoodguy

• Total Posts: 44
                                    RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 01/29/07 12:34 PM (permalink)

Theres just somethin bout grillin that "feels better", maybe the smell of the grill,mixed with the outdoor air,the smoke , Indoor,outdoor ,who knows...

I think I speak for alot of us though, when I say ...that is one nice lookin peice of meat.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                                      RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 01/28/08 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                      I got rib steaks last night at my local grocery because they were on sale for 1/2 off! The ones in the case were way too thin so I had my friendly butcher hand cut me two, 2 inch thick steaks. I will be cooking them tonight. I have been marinating them for the last four hours in olive oil and a few spices but no salt! I add the salt when I put them on the grill or in the pan. Tonight I am searing in a cast iron pan on each side for 5 minutes and then transferring them to a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes ore til done! I will let them rest for about ten minutes as to let the juices redistribute into the meat. I always let the steak in question come up to room temp before cooking so that it stays nice and juicy. I have never poked meat with a fork either before or after cooking.

David O.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                        RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 01/28/08 5:48 PM (permalink)
                                        When I cook a 1 1/2 or 2 inch Ribeye either in a skillet preheated in a 500 degree oven or on charcoal just above the coals I always put a probe thermameter in the center and cook until 125 degrees is hit then pull it immediatly and put it on a small plate turned upsidedown on a larger plate cover it with foil for atleast 10 minutes. Personally I feel a good Ribeye cant be undercooked but can definatley be destroyed if it goes over 140 degrees. Also butter and olive oil smoke at too low a temperature try using peanut oil. And I always brush my steaks with melted butter prior to serving. Salt and pepper is it. And that poking thing some mention should be kept to cheaper cuts when making cube steak or chicken fried steak.....Russ

Sundancer7

RE: How to cook a Ribeye Mon, 01/28/08 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                          Ribeye is definately my favorite. I buy them on sale at Food City when they are $4.99 a pound and I buy several of them.

Most of the time, I bring them up to room temp with olive oil, salt and pepper and put them on the grill. I cook them 4-5 minutes on each side. Usually gets me a medium rare steak.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
                                            RE: How to cook a Ribeye Thu, 01/31/08 10:02 AM (permalink)
                                            Mr. Sundancer - that's exactly the way to treat a ribeye.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                                              RE: How to cook a Ribeye Thu, 01/31/08 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                              When grilling I usually take the steak straight from the fridge to the grill so that the inside takes longer to cook. I like my beef bloody rare and if it's cold the center will still be nice and red when the outside's done. But that's just my preference.

Brad

Mossman

• Total Posts: 40
                                                RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 02/1/08 8:26 PM (permalink)
                                                Do a reverse sear

Put it to the side of a grill indirect with a good bed
                                                of coals..of your favorite wood to smoke/cook with, leave
                                                it there cooking Low & Slow till it hits rare-medium rare
                                                (depending on your prefference), then drop it directly over
                                                the coals for a good hot sear. Count to 10 real slow...
                                                flip... count to 10 again, plate and enjoy!

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                                                  RE: How to cook a Ribeye Wed, 02/6/08 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                                  The reverse sear sounds interesting...its the same method I use to cook a rib roast. ANyone else have tried it? SO far with rib eyes or cowboy steaks (bone-in) i like to pull out of fridge and let the cold steak come up in temp a bit, then a good sprinkle of hawaiian sea salt. Sear it, rotate a quarter turn after 3 mins, then flip. Spritz with canola oil to get a charred edge crust and then let it rest. Should get you a rare steak depending on thickness.

swvadon

• Total Posts: 36
                                                    RE: How to cook a Ribeye Sun, 02/21/10 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                                    I have never subscribed to the theory that poking your steak with a fork prior to cooking it reduces the moistness. I've found that if you marinade, it does the opposite. Certainly, after the steak is on the grill, nothing but tongs are acceptable. Also, fifteen minutes is the mandatory minimum time frame.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                                      RE: How to cook a Ribeye Thu, 03/11/10 7:36 AM (permalink)
                                                      I invented a new way to do a Ribeye the other day and here is how I did it.
                                                      I stacked charcoal in the center of the Weber. I then placed a skillet over that. I then placed a Skillet filled with hot charcoal in it into that skillet and let it heat up. Then I lifted the top skillet put the steak in the bottom skillet and placed the other skilltet with the charcoal on top of it. It was a thick 1 1/4 inch steak and reached 120 in the middle pretty quick. Maybe 4 or 5 minutes. Great char on the outside and then I let it rest for 5 minutes under foil. It worked great....Russ

Bill Tex Landreth

• Total Posts: 9
                                                        RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 06/25/10 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        For Wagyu, I like to use a Calphalon anodized aluminum pan on medium heat.  Simple seasoning of Pink Himalayan Salt:

Bill Tex Landreth

• Total Posts: 9
                                                          • Location: Irving, TX
                                                          RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 06/25/10 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                                          For a dry-age USDA Prime steak, I'll go with a heavy dose of Pink Himalayan Salt and a rocket hot Weber Kettle using mequite lump hardwood charcoal.

Red Sox Nation

• Total Posts: 69
                                                            • Location: Framingham, MA
                                                            RE: How to cook a Ribeye Fri, 06/25/10 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                            The two take aways here is to have your steak out of the frig and at room temp before it hits the pan so it will cook evenly and to let it rest with tented foil. I like the idea to have the meat sit above the juice so it does not sit in its own juices while resting.
                                                            I worked at a high End fine dining Country Club  and they would mark the steak (chekkerboard) and cook on high heat in the broilers to sear in the juices. They would let it rest a bit but it never seemed as long as one would rest cooking at home.
                                                            One thing I diden't see or read here is never serve hot food on a cold plate.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 64

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com