How to cook a Ribeye

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
MrStoner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/03/07 10:56:24 (permalink)

How to cook a Ribeye

Please don't make fun of me, but I found this board and knew the local experts could help me.

I'm a restaurant fanatic, my favorite cut of steak is Ribeye. I don't know how to cook anything. Can somebody please give me some newbie style step by step instructions on how to cook a great, well seasoned (but not overly spicy) melt-in-your-mouth ribeye?

I really appreciate it!!! I'd love to eat at home once in awhile :-).

Thanks! I'll check back here, but you can also e-mail me at mrstoner@gmail.com. THANKS!!!

63 Replies Related Threads

SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 11:42:36 (permalink)
    Well, if you're not an experienced cook. . . I have two methods. Both involve quikly searing the outside and leaving the inside warm and bloody.
    On the grill, get you coals good and hot along with the grill itself. Put the coals as close to the grate as possible (an inch or two).
    On the stove, get a frying pan fairly hot with just a dab of tasteless veg. oil, lard, bacon fat or soome other hi-temp grease and do the same thing. . .
    A couple minutes on each side. Check the meat if you're not sure when it is done.

You'll need to practice a few times before you get it just right, but if you're careful and pay attention to what you're doing, you'll not ruin any piece of meat. . . you'll just cook some too rare or too well done before you get it right. . . hell, I still never get it perfect.

The only way to learn how to cook is to practice. Just be cautious and don't burn stuff.
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 11:44:28 (permalink)
    Oh, and Stoner, a good dose of salt and pepper will get you "well seasoned (but not overly spicy)."
    I don't like masking the flavor of a steak, but some good fresh black pepper and salt is always called for.
    Be sure and pepper before you cook.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 11:46:06 (permalink)
    Don't forget to let the steak "rest" before consumption! At least 10-15 minutes. It'll be worth the wait.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 12:18:58 (permalink)
    Who has the patience to wait? I never do.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18254
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 12:20:57 (permalink)
    First, in order to get a melt-in-your-mouth ribeye (or anyother steak, for that matter) you have to have a melt-in-you-mouth cut of meat, and that means it has to be Prime. Once you have that, it's simple.

A little salt and pepper, brush some oil on the meat, oil a grill pan or grill, or skillet, and sear the steak over high heat on both sides, then lower the heat to medium high (move it away from the coals if using a grill) and, for a two-inch thick cut, cook it for about six minutes on one side and five on the other for medium rare.

And do let it rest for a few minutes, tented with foil, to let the juices flow back.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 16:46:04 (permalink)
    Similar to SouthHillbilly and M. Hoffman's above, try this: In a cast iron skillet, heated up, sear the steak w/o any oil on both sides, add S & P, then lower heat to Med. and continue until desired doneness. Remove steak, add 1/2 cup of red wine and deglaze pan. When wine reduces by 1/2, add a few sliced mushrooms, green onions, and some minced garlic. When veg. are done, add about 2 T of butter. When melted, pour over the steak.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 16:53:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

First, in order to get a melt-in-your-mouth ribeye (or anyother steak, for that matter) you have to have a melt-in-you-mouth cut of meat, and that means it has to be Prime. Once you have that, it's simple.

A little salt and pepper, brush some oil on the meat, oil a grill pan or grill, or skillet, and sear the steak over high heat on both sides, then lower the heat to medium high (move it away from the coals if using a grill) and, for a two-inch thick cut, cook it for about six minutes on one side and five on the other for medium rare.

And do let it rest for a few minutes, tented with foil, to let the juices flow back.

Sounds perfect! Red and I are headed your way........what night shall it be? She and I will each bring dessert.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 19:52:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

Sounds perfect! Red and I are headed your way........what night shall it be? She and I will each bring dessert.

The door's open. But, I don't eat desserts.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6613
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 20:28:00 (permalink)
    OK, I'll bring the shrimp, oysters, king crab and scallops instead of dessert.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 21:00:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

OK, I'll bring the shrimp, oysters, king crab and scallops instead of dessert.

Wow! Does this mean it's going to be a foursome?
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 21:01:51 (permalink)
    Well, I've always seared my steaks as well. But after having the best steak of my life in a restaurant the other night, which wasn't seared. And after watching Good Eats on food t.v. the other day. I'm thinking searing is bad! The t.v. show demonstrated that the steak weighed 13% less after searing compared to steak that was just simply baked! I'm having to rethink the best way to prepare a steak.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 22:41:59 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman---Take your vitamins!!!
    MrStoner
    Junior Burger
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 22:42:38 (permalink)
    Wow, this is a really cool forum. Thanks for all your great replies. I'm gonna ask you for more help after I get this steak thing down.

As you can probably guess - I like to eat A LOT!!

-MrStoner
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/07 22:48:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Michael Hoffman---Take your vitamins!!!

I always do. Centrum Silver. You never know when you're going to need them, and it's starting to look as if they're going to come in handy.

In my dreams!
    MrStoner
    Junior Burger
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/08 22:02:13 (permalink)
    Somebody posted in another thread that when they sear their steak it gets their whole place full of smoke. If I turn my hood on high will I still have this problem? I live in a large house with roommates and don't want to disturb them with a bunch of smoke or smoke alarms going off, plus I think it automatically calls the fire dept and that would be quite embarrassing!!!

Do you think I should get a cast iron skillet to start or just start with a regular skillet? What's the difference ... does it make the meat more/less tender different flavor? I already know how to buy good cuts of meat, I usually pick up 1.5-2.5" thick Ribeye's that I have them cut for me when I take steaks over to a friend's house to cook.

When you say let it rest, do you mean in the pan or on a plate? I'm cooking on a gas stove so should I turn the flame all the way to high and should I leave it on high once the pan is hot or turn it down some? Since I may ruin the first couple I will probably start with 1.5" ribeye's until I get the hang of it because they are less expensive (is this a mistake /// are they harder to cook??)what are the cooking times for this size, medium rare?

Thanks again for your help and for saving me the expense of a GF grill.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/08 23:46:11 (permalink)
    This might be old school, but buy a commercial Taylor meat thermometer.. Not expensive... Season your ribeye to your desire (even toss some onion and garlic on top) and cook in the oven... When the temp hits 140 degrees, pull that puppy out and let it rest for several minutes... Save them juices in the pan and ya might find a use for them.. Slice the meat and heat as needed and enjoy...

MrStoner
    Junior Burger
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/09 19:43:57 (permalink)
    What should I cook it in if I cook it in the oven?
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/10 07:42:19 (permalink)
    Preheat a cast iron skillet.
    keef richards
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/11 22:04:14 (permalink)
    for indoors get yourself a cast iron grill pan i t has the ridges to so your not cooking in fat. season it and clean it and it will last forever. don't buy a non stick grill pan they are proably more money and don't hold heat. cast iron holds heat. you put pan on stove on medium heat when you can't hold your hand about an inch over it for 5 seconds it is ready. if you have to grill inside this is the way to do it. cast iron conducts heat a foremen grill grill can't reach the right temp.
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/11 22:48:17 (permalink)
    I cooked two 2" ribeyes last night.
    Gave em a good dose of fresh ground pepper and salt. . . resit the urge to apply onion powder, garlic salt, etc. A good steak deserves not to be mistreated.
    Fired up a bucket of natural charcoal (Cowboy Brand), dumped it into the grill and put down the grates (they're well seasoned with lots of pork fat) with the coals as close to the grates as possible. Got the grates to where they were almost red and threw down the slabs. Gave em about 6 minutes on each side, then lowered the coals all the way and pulled down the lid. . . after about 2 minutes the smoke was barrelling out the chimney.
    Gave em about 5 or 6 minutes covered.
    Sounds like a long time to cook, but these babies were thick and followed me from the porch into the kitchen when I called.
    My wife likes em really red and bloody and the thickest one was just right for her. The slightly thinner one was just right for me.
    Crisp and smokey on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. . . I don't know any restaurant that does it as good as that!
    Oh, and on the side we had fresh mashed potatos cooked with a few big cloves of garlic minced and a couple big slices of onion minced with lots of good English country butter.
    Sliced eggplant, onions and mushrooms cooked in a spicey tomato/chili sauce that was killer!
    MrStoner
    Junior Burger
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/03/16 22:37:48 (permalink)
    SouthHillbilly where are you, I'm in Houston, I must come over for dinner!!!!
    cool one
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/04/29 22:15:22 (permalink)
    quote:

I think a prime ribeye is too fatty I prefer a choice cut ribeye
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/04/29 22:36:20 (permalink)
    So are we talking the roast or steak here?? If doing the steak, grab a baggie, toss in some olive oil, crushed black pepper and sea salt, a few stalks of rosemary and let it sit for a few hours... Hand massage it now and then so it knows that you still love it... Then toss on a super hot charcoal grill and let each side sing for about 7 or 8 minutes... Thats if you like it medium rare...

Candie C
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/08/12 20:19:31 (permalink)
    OK, my husband bought a 2 1/2 inch bone in ribeye. I want to cook it on the gas grill....to sear or not to sear? Also, becuase it has bone in do I cook it longer?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/08/12 20:31:28 (permalink)
    Candie
    One slight correction...If you have a bone attached you don't have a Ribeye, you have a Rib Steak or if thick enough it is a piece of Standing Rib Roast (prime rib?)
    Normally any 'bone-in' takes a bit longer than the boneless version of the same part of the cow.

If it is 2.5 inches thick, does it have one rib-bone or part of a second one in the cut? The difference will matter as the meat between the bones will cook at a different rate than the 'heart' of the meat. I would quick sear it on both sides doing a light salt and pepper(i prefer to season at the table) then move it to medium heat on the grill until it reaches the 'doneness' that I want.
    NYC2SoCal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/11/16 17:29:30 (permalink)
    This is what I do with a ribeye.
    - Ribeye ~ 1.5-2" thick
    - Take the meat out of the fridge (roughly 20-30minutes before you cook it)
    - Season it with kosher (course) salt and black pepper
    - Put the cast iron pan in the oven @ 550
    - I usually start the oven with the pan in it, and leave it for 15 minutes after the preheat is done
    - Turn on a stove burner, put cast iron on burner
    - Turn down oven to 350
    - Put ribeye on pan, sear for 30 seconds, flip, 30 seconds, flip, and then back in the oven
    - 5 minutes, flip, 5 minutes, take out and let it stand for 5-10 minutes.

For letting it stand, I usually put a trivet on a plate and put the steak on the trivet, this allows the juices to drip onto the plate versus having the steak sit in the juices.. Oh, and I cover it with some aluminum foil.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/11/16 17:35:35 (permalink)
    We've been cooking Allen Brothers steaks prime ribeye's lately, and have been preparing them like this:

-Take from the fridge prior to cooking, and leave them out until about room temperature

-drizzle them with a thin amount of garlic olive oil

-throw some Montreal Steak seasoning on them, or just fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt.

We cook them until about medium rare or rare, and accompany them with grilled asparagus. For that, we drizzle some regular olive oil over the asparagus, add some kosher salt, toss, and then grill. After the asparagus is removed from the grill, we splash a little balsamic over them and toss once again.

Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/11/28 13:31:14 (permalink)
    Cut the fat ring around the meat.
    Poke cold steak with sharp fork prongs.
    Marinate at room temperature in worchester (sp?) sauce.
    In a hot cast iron skillet, heat olive oil and butter until smokin'.
    Fry steak to desired doneness (won't take long). Remove to rest.
    Lower heat, add red wine, butter, rosemary, to deglaze pan.
    Saute mushrooms and/or onions in the wine sauce.
    Pour veggies and sauce over steak.
    Marvel at your culinary genius and give thanks for beef.
    Burgerman1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: How to cook a Ribeye 2005/12/03 11:16:25 (permalink)
    I agree with most of the posts...I never met a steak I didn't like, tough, chewy, half-raw, if it don't taste good cover it with sauce....LOL Ok, I'm not picky, but a good steak, cooked perfectly is an exceptionally good treat.

But I think back and I can remember my mother (rip) used to pan fry a ribeye steak after dipping in buttermilk and dredging in seasoned flour. Browned the outside and then brought the center up to the perfect temp & texture. I'm sorry guys, that isn't the usual ribeye dinner we think of, but I would match this aganist your best.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1