Hot!How to get perfect hard boiled eggs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2008/01/31 06:03:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Rebeltruce,

That reads like more work than it's worth to me. But if it works, it works I guess. I've had no problems with simpler methods discussed here.

I hate green eggs! This is the only foolproof method that I've found that eliminates even the slightest possibility of having that nasty green sulphur smelling yolk.

I admit it may not be for everyone, but if you prefer to not have a green egg, or the chance of having a green egg then it's well worth the effort. Plus it truly does make peeling the egg easier, new eggs or older eggs it doesn't really matter.
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 285
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2008/01/31 06:35:32 (permalink)
Hey Larry - that is the egg cooker that I used to have, only I lost it when I moved. I have looked in the stores for it for the last 10 years. It was the greatest little egg cooker ever. Thanks for posting the picture, it's great to see it again.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/16 21:03:12 (permalink)
I started this thread 6 1/2 years ago and continue the Quest for Knowledge! 
While my egg boiling skills have improved considerably, I'm still looking for the "Perfect Hard Boiled Egg" - The one that does not have the sulfur in the whites rapidly reacting with the iron in the yolks, creating ferrous sulfide, and tinging the yolks. You know, that greenish color on the edge of the yolk.
Here  is the most scientific dissertation on hard boiling eggs I've found to date from J. Kenji López-Alt, the Managing Culinary Director of Serious Eats, www.seriouseats.com and author of the James Beard Award-nominated column The Food Lab, where he unravels the science of home cooking.
A restaurant-trained chef and former Editor at Cook's Illustrated magazine, he is the author of upcoming "The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science", to be released by W. W. Norton. He currently resides in Harlem with his wife and dogs.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html?ref=excerpt_readmore

post edited by Foodbme - 2014/06/16 21:15:54
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1106
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/17 08:51:03 (permalink)
I like reading all of Kenji's posts as well.  He is actually moving to California but is staying with Serious Eats.  I will miss his posts on New york eateries.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/17 10:02:48 (permalink)
hatteras04
I like reading all of Kenji's posts as well.  He is actually moving to California but is staying with Serious Eats.  I will miss his posts on New york eateries.

He's in Europe for 3 months now.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/17 16:15:13 (permalink)
Big fan of Kenji's. I have used, with great success, my egg steamer/cookers for years. Wore one out and had to get a new one last year. They make perfect soft to hard boiled eggs every time. The key to getting no graying is to chill them in ice water immediately for hard boiled. That's always done the trick for me, (even if I boiled them in a pan). I like my cooker, though! Even does a pretty good job of poaching. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/17 17:18:01 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Big fan of Kenji's. I have used, with great success, my egg steamer/cookers for years. Wore one out and had to get a new one last year. They make perfect soft to hard boiled eggs every time. The key to getting no graying is to chill them in ice water immediately for hard boiled. That's always done the trick for me, (even if I boiled them in a pan). I like my cooker, though! Even does a pretty good job of poaching. 

What kind/brand of steamer/cooker do you have?
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 436
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/18 06:42:41 (permalink)
Not sure why so many have problems boiling eggs.  I simply place the eggs into boiling water, simmer lightly for precisely 15 minutes, drain and immediately cool in cold water.  Rarely do I see any green and the eggs are typically easy to shell (lightly tap on a granite counter numerous times to get well broken shell).  I usually use white eggs from Aldie - nothing special.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/18 11:19:38 (permalink)
Foodbme

Root-Beer Man

What kind/brand of steamer/cooker do you have?

The new one's a Krups. Got it off of Amazon. It's been a pleasure to work with, too. I like the nice loud alarm it has when it's done. My original was a Salton and it even still works, but the plastics just got too chipped and holey to maintain a correct temp. The news a good one though. No complaints out of it in over a year of use.

http://www.amazon.com/KRU...words=krups+egg+cooker
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/18 12:58:17 (permalink)
mjambro

Not sure why so many have problems boiling eggs.  I simply place the eggs into boiling water, simmer lightly for precisely 15 minutes, drain and immediately cool in cold water.  Rarely do I see any green and the eggs are typically easy to shell (lightly tap on a granite counter numerous times to get well broken shell).  I usually use white eggs from Aldie - nothing special.

This is what I do, only I time mine for 18 minutes (I can't remember why).  I just never let the water boil. I used the boil-for-a-few-minutes-and-then-let-sit method a few times, just to see what all the fuss was about, and my eggs were never cooked all the way through, no matter what pan I used, stove I used, etc.

I do agree that the eggs shouldn't be too fresh.

kevincad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 411
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/18 16:47:43 (permalink)
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by unabashed

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Unabashed, so do you salt the water?

Oh, nice tips all! I'm like Foodb, gotta do some eggs now.
Joe

Yes always
1) I was told water boils quicker when salted (my daughter learned this in science class)
2) it makes the shell more brittle or something (the a hole Greek Chef told me that)
Hey I can't argue with a Science teacher and don't even want to argue with a Greek Chef in the kitchen.
nuff said

Salted water actually boils slower than plain water. This is because the boiling point of salted water is higher. This also means that food cooked in boiling salted water will cook faster than food cooked in plain boiling water. At least in theory - I don't know how much salt one would have to add to see a noticeable difference.

Actually, not true. Salt water will come to a boil faster for one simple reason. That is, if you take a gallon of pure water and a gallon of salt water, the volume of water is lower in the salt water because it has salt in it, which takes up space. Take a gallon of water that contains 20% salt, then take the salt out, and you'll have 80% of a gallon of water! The lesser amount of water will thus come to a boil quicker. 
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 436
RE: How to get perfect hard boiled eggs 2014/06/19 17:09:01 (permalink)
kevincad
Actually, not true. Salt water will come to a boil faster for one simple reason. That is, if you take a gallon of pure water and a gallon of salt water, the volume of water is lower in the salt water because it has salt in it, which takes up space. Take a gallon of water that contains 20% salt, then take the salt out, and you'll have 80% of a gallon of water! The lesser amount of water will thus come to a boil quicker. 

While that has some truth if one was to weigh their water (eight pounds of salt-saturated water has less volume than eight lbs of 100% water, thus will boil faster), but a gallon of salt-saturated water has just 2.5% less volume than a gallon of 100% water.   In reality, a typical salted water for cooking will have about a 1-2F higher boiling point with slightly less volume, so they will will reach their boil at essentially the same time.

If cooking with salted water cooks faster, it's because the temperature is slightly higher (up to 1-2F with typical salt additions for cooking).   

Keep in mind that it takes about six ounces of salt to saturate a pint of water.  That's a lot of salt for cooking.
post edited by mjambro - 2014/06/19 17:36:46
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1