How to make a toasted cheese sandwich....

Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2008/09/01 06:25:21 (permalink)

How to make a toasted cheese sandwich....

Hola!

Can someone please tell me how to make a toasted cheese sandwich? My mother made them when I was a child, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Any advice?

Senor

21 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 08:34:36 (permalink)
    [url='http://www.cookingwithkids.com/pep/pita/cheese.html']Here's[/url] a recipe. It looks pretty easy. pb
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 08:34:47 (permalink)
    Don't use a toaster. :)
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 09:34:57 (permalink)
    Did you want the open faced type or a regular grilled cheese? I used to love it when my Mom placed a slice of american on a slice of wonder bread. Placed them under the toaster oven and we'd watch as the chesse rose and got charred a lovelt black-only way. For a traditional grilled cheese She put a teaspoon in the bottome of the skilled Just as it was melted a piece of white bread was placed in it with 2 slices of american. and the other peice of bread fitted up top. addd a bit more butter as you flip the sandwich abs move it around so all the butter is absorbed. It should be golden brown and the cheese running out as you press down before removing it...
    britt
    TerrierMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 10:03:20 (permalink)
    Toasted Cheese sandwiches are easy to make!

You need two slices of bread, cheese slices (you pick how many and what kind of cheese) and soft butter or margarine.

Place the cheese between the slices of bread. Spread the top and bottom of the uncooked sandwich with the butter or margarine. Place the sandwich butter side down in a pan on medium to medium high heat. When
    the sandwich looks golden and brown and yummy on one side, flip it over to cook the other side. You can lower the heat to let the cheese finish melting if you need to. You can also just melt the butter or margarine in the skillet and cook the sandwich that way. But I think it comes out extra crispy and good if you spread the butter on the bread. You can also use mayonnaise in place of the butter. Serve with tomato soup, very good.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 10:16:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TerrierMom

You need two slices of bread, cheese slices (you pick how many and what kind of cheese) and soft butter or margarine.

Place the cheese between the slices of bread. Spread the top and bottom of the uncooked sandwich with the butter or margarine. Place the sandwich butter side down in a pan on medium to medium high heat. When
    the sandwich looks golden and brown and yummy on one side, flip it over to cook the other side. You can lower the heat to let the cheese finish melting if you need to. You can also just melt the butter or margarine in the skillet and cook the sandwich that way. But I think it comes out extra crispy and good if you spread the butter on the bread. You can also use mayonnaise in place of the butter. Serve with tomato soup, very good.

I am confused as that sounds a bit like a grilled cheese sandwich. When he ask for a toasted cheese sandwich, I was thinking more like a type of cheese on bread and put under the broiler. I guess I was wrong???

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6347
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 10:29:48 (permalink)
    Yes,that simple recipe is a good old grilled cheese my kids demand several times a week for lunch!!!!
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 10:31:09 (permalink)
    The key to a really good grilled cheese is tons of good butter, two kinds of cheese, and some nice soft white cottage bread. Forget about spreading butter on the bread, melt the butter on the griddle and then scoot the bread around in the butter until the side is covered. Next put your cheese on, I like American singles and some cheddar. Put your other piece of bread on top, some more butter on the other side of the griddle; turn the sandwich over on to that puddle of butter. Use a medium heat and don’t get in a hurry, flip a few times adding more butter as needed until the bread is a nice golden brown. Hard to beat a couple of those with a side of catsup.
    TerrierMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 10:42:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
    Originally posted by TerrierMom

I am confused as that sounds a bit like a grilled cheese sandwich. When he ask for a toasted cheese sandwich, I was thinking more like a type of cheese on bread and put under the broiler. I guess I was wrong???

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Yes, to me what I posted is a grilled cheese, and the kind under the broiler is toasted cheese. We must have lived in the same part of the country at some point in our lives. But for some people, the terms toasted cheese and grilled cheese are interchangeable. Also, to some people, what you call grilled cheese, they call toasted. I posted the recipe I did because to me, it seems like the OP wouldn't needed to ask how to make the cheese sandwich under the broiler, it's pretty obvious what you need to do.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 12:23:46 (permalink)
    I just now Googled Toasted Cheese Sandwich and most of what came up was Grilled Cheese Sandwich. But there were some recipes for toasted under the broiler sandwiches which , as far as I looked, were all open face sandwiches.

My wife makes a sandwich in the Summer - toasted under the broiler: On half a buttered hamburger bun, toasted under the broiler, you place a nice thick slice of beefsteak type tomato sprinkled with salt and black pepper, a few slices of cooked bacon, a slice or two of cheese ( American and Cheddar work best, but we sometimes use Mozzarella with a few basil leaves) , spread with a bit of mustard ( we like Dijon) and run under the broiler 'till the cheese is melted.

Cheers, John
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 12:46:15 (permalink)
    On the same grill, but separately, put a few slices of tomato. When the sandwich is done, put the hot tomato slices in the sandwich. This works better than putting the tomato in at the same time. This also drys some of the excess moisture out of the tomato. Nobody needs a soggy sandwich. A slice of deli ham can't hurt, either.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 12:56:04 (permalink)
    IMO, toasted cheese = cheese toast, the world's most perfect food! Take one slice of the best bread you can find/afford; top with generous slices of the best cheese you can find/afford; put in a toaster oven on "toast" or under the oven broiler on "broil;" toast or broil until the bread is toasty and the cheese is melted.

Good cheeses for melting have a high fat content: Colby, Cheddar, Muenster, Mozzarella, Brick, Havarti, Monterey Jack, American (not processed cheese food) and old fashioned hoop cheese (sometimes called rat cheese).

If you are talking about Old English Toasted Cheese, here is a recipe:

SERVES 6 , 6 Toasted Cheese Slices

* 1 1/2 lbs grated mature cheddar cheese
    * 6 fluid ounces cream or milk or ale
    * 3/4 teaspoon dry English-style mustard
    * 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
    * salt, to taste
    * pepper, to taste
    * 6 slices thick bread
    * butter
    * chutney, to serve

1. Melt the cheese over hot, but not boiling, water and then gradually stir in the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and set to one side. Taste and adjust seasonings.
    2. Toast the bread on ONE side only and then butter the UNTOASTED side.
    3. Spread the melted rarebit mixture over the top of the bread - on the UNTOASTED side - make sure the mixture is spread upto the edges.
    4. Place under a hot grill (broiler) and cook until the rarebit mixture is bubbling hot and brown in patches, about 3 to 5 minutes depending on the heat of your grill(broiler).
    5. Serve immediately with a selection of chutneys, relishes and pickles.

BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 13:11:36 (permalink)
    Sorry, Seafarer John, your sandwich looks very good. I like the mustard addition. Toasting under the broiler is what your wife does to counter-act the wet tomato. I know what lunch is now.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 13:28:18 (permalink)
    I should have mentioned the reason this is a Summer sandwich. It's when tomatoes are ripe and we always have left over hamburger rolls in the bread box...

Cheers, John
    KonaErnie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 356
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 14:34:01 (permalink)
    Toasted cheese sandwiches (not grilled cheese) are my go to meal whenever I have the munchies. I start with 2 slices of regular white bread, 2 slices of American cheese on top of each piece of bread, a little mayo on top of that, then 2 slices of bacon that has been precooked till about 90% done on each sandwich. I put them on a broiling pan then into the broiler till the cheese is bubbling brown and the bacon is nice and crispy. A nice big glass of chocolate milk to go with it. I may just have to have that for lunch today.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 14:55:23 (permalink)
    Toast your bread.
    Butter both sides.
    Lay 2 pieces American cheese on it.
    Microwave sandwich 10 seconds.
    Let cool for a few seconds before eating.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18857
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 15:27:17 (permalink)
    Thank you for calling it what it was, is, and always shall be -- a toasted cheese sandwich.

By the way, I always spread mustard over the cheese before topping it with the top slice of bread. Sometimes I'll add some relish, too. My wife always loved hers with a slice of tomato, and my grandson loved to have a couple of slices of Boar's Head Cajun-stule turkey between the cheese slices.

As do others, after putting my sandwich together I butter the top slice of bread, and then I place the sandwich, butter-side down in a hot skillet, or on a flat griddle. While cooking that side till it is nicely browned, I spread butter over the other slice of bread, then turn and brown that side.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/01 17:18:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hola!

Can someone please tell me how to make a toasted cheese sandwich? My mother made them when I was a child, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Any advice?

Senor

My dad calls a grilled cheese a toasted cheese. Is that what you meant?

The 'recipe' is as varied as there are people on this planet, but here is the basic one we do:

2 slices white bread
    1-2 slices American cheese
    butter

Put a little butter in skillet, then butter one side of bread. Let butter in skillet melt, to a light brown. Put 1 slice of bread, buttered side down, into pan. Arrange cheese slices so one is on straight & one is on crooked with the points poking out of the bread. Top with other slice of bread, buttered side up. Cook over medium low heat, low & slow. Flip sandwich once, when you are sure bottom is done cooking & cheese edges are just beginning to get melty. The side of sandwich should be a nice golden color, maybe a little light browning. Same amount of time on this side, then you are done.

Variations:

tomato
    tomato & a little mayo
    ham (not by me, but others enjoy it)
    different cheeses. Velveeta you have to be careful as too melty = runny, but Muenster works perfectly.
    ChefShan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/04 19:27:23 (permalink)
    So, are grilled cheese and toasted cheese the same? I think they are.
    I used to have a concession trailer. One of my big sellers was Texas Grilled Ham N' Cheese Sandwiches.
    I used deli american and real butter. Texas toast of course. Secret is to only flip it once and NEVER ever press down on it!!!

Someone just yesterday said to use peanut butter in place of the butter for a different but delicious sandwich. Hey, I am willing to try anything once.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/07 10:29:52 (permalink)
    I would second Theedge's method, only I would add a slice of red onion, and sliced tomato.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/07 16:21:42 (permalink)
    In my opinion, I have never ever viewed toasted and grilled the same.

It may be a southern thing but when I grill a cheese sandwich, it is on a fryer and done on both sides and with I toast, I put in the oven and let it go. I usually do it on broil.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    RE: How to make a toasted cheese sandwich.... 2008/09/07 19:31:40 (permalink)
    Hey Senor, now that you should have the old toasted cheese sandwich bit down, maybe you could learn how to heat up canned soup.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I greatly doubt the OP was serious.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1