Howard Johnson's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
The Debster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2004/10/15 14:13:56 (permalink)

Howard Johnson's

Does anyone remember the delicious chicken croquet dinner served at the Howard Johnson's hotels? It was similar to chicken and dumplings, but slightly different. There was a time that you could stop at a Howard Johnson's and pick up this particular dish already packaged from their freezer, along with take home ice cream...what a treat!

34 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18437
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/10/15 14:58:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Debster

Does anyone remember the delicious chicken croquet dinner served at the Howard Johnson's hotels? It was similar to chicken and dumplings, but slightly different. There was a time that you could stop at a Howard Johnson's and pick up this particular dish already packaged from their freezer, along with take home ice cream...what a treat!

OK. I'll own up to it. I used to buy those Howard Johnson croquettes all the time. When they stopped being available I started buying Weaver chicken croquettes, but Weaver says it no longer sells them in the Midwest. Actually, Weaver told me it never sold them in Ohio. I found that sort of odd as Ohio is the only place I ever bought them.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/10/15 18:44:10 (permalink)
    If in Chicago, go to Ann Sather's, you will love their chicken croquettes.
    Woo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/10/26 16:42:16 (permalink)
    I love those HJ chicken croquettes! I used to get them in Mass. a long time ago. I used to get them in Florida at Publix. I never found them when I lived out west. Made my own, but was a lot of trouble! I wrote to HJ, and they say they still sell them frozen somewhere, but they never responded to my local grocer about stocking them. So tomorrow I am headed to Jungle Jim's in Cinn. to look for them there among other things!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15273
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/10/26 17:10:25 (permalink)
    Woo
    Please report on your shopping success (or lack of it) at Jungle Jim's. We are always looking for feedback on the places we enjoy and recommend.
    AL
    barkercreek
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/10/27 13:54:24 (permalink)
    I've been remembering those Howard Johnson chicken croquettes wistfully for way too many years. If anyone has a source or a tastes-the-same recipe, I'd be ecstatic!
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/10/27 15:06:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by barkercreek

I've been remembering those Howard Johnson chicken croquettes wistfully for way too many years. If anyone has a source or a tastes-the-same recipe, I'd be ecstatic!

I concur!
    Woo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/10/28 07:00:33 (permalink)
    First off I have to say, YAY RED SOX!!!!
    Went to Jungle Jim's yesterday, and they had no Howard Johnson products, no Chicken Croquettes. And they also didn't carry the famous Hostess Raspberry Filled Donuts. They had tons of interesting things there however, and it was alot of fun.
    One side note, Cincinnati, I noticed, had quite a few sub places claiming they were East Coast Grinders, New England Grinders, etc.
    We couldn't help but stop at one place and get a couple, but though good, they were NOT grinders like I used to get in Mass. Not even close.
    Oh, and one last thing, RED SOX ROCK!
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/10/28 15:26:38 (permalink)
    Love chicken croquettes and talked about them before on this or another forum.
    Yes I do remember them from Howard Johnsons and used to purchase them frozen whenever I spotted them and felt the urge.
    I think Weavers is a poor substitute. Too much filler.
    Its probably the most ordered dish for me in a diner and fortunately I found a diner in monmouth county NJ that has among the best I have tasted. They are primarily chicken not much filler, good somewhat crunchy coating, seasoned so that the chicken is the primary taste and slathered in gravy.
    Damn good.
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/11/02 16:53:07 (permalink)
    This is off topic a little, but I used to love the fried clams at Howard Johnson's, back about 25 years ago (and it's probably been 25 years since I've eaten at a Ho Jo's, come to think of it)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/11/02 17:49:05 (permalink)
    danimal... Clam Strips like those used at HoJo's are still around in a lot of places.
    I remember them well. Came frozen in cartons the size and shape of the 1/2 gallon Milk Carton. We dipped them in canned milk then into the flour/batter mix...shake 'em and into the fryer. Sold by The "Plate", The"Roll", the 1/2 pint (small) and the Pint box (large) I don't remember the prices back in the mid-60's but they were pretty cheap. Hojo did not sell any Whole Belly Clams while I worked there..In fact I don't think they ever did.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/11/02 18:35:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by The Debster

OK. I'll own up to it. I used to buy those Howard Johnson croquettes all the time. When they stopped being available I started buying Weaver chicken croquettes, but Weaver says it no longer sells them in the Midwest. Actually, Weaver told me it never sold them in Ohio. I found that sort of odd as Ohio is the only place I ever bought them.

I remember these things well, both at dine-in HJ's & at grocery store(s). They were great, & I think had a packet of white sauce included with them. Wish they were still around. And, if I am not mistaken (probably am though... ;), Goya makes a similar item presently; perhaps they are ham croquettes vs. chicken(???)
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/11/07 23:36:32 (permalink)
    Earlier this year my parents sold the house they'd lived in for 40+ years. After they moved, my brother and I spent two weeks at the house, sorting through stuff and emptying closets, etc. There was a giant chest type freezer in the basement and because of my mother's penchant for, well, let's just call it "stockpiling" we had bets about just WHAT we'd find in the freezer. One of the things we found were not one, not two, but about a half-dozen packets of the neon-orange HoJo's chicken croquette sauce. Not the croquettes, not any boxes, just packets of the sauce.
    lovetoeat
    Junior Burger
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/11/23 13:40:26 (permalink)
    I used to love the clam roll, but another HoJo sandwich I loved was the 3-D Burger. Nobody I know seems to remember that one, but I swear to this day that McDonald's stole this sandwich recipe to make the Bic Mac. Anybody here remember it?
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/11/27 21:17:22 (permalink)
    I don't remember the croquet, but I fondly think of the Howard Johnson Toasties you use to be able to buy at the grocery store. They were square sweet cornbreads, flat so they fit in the toaster. When they got nice and brown, we'd slather them in butter and eat. they came in blueberry and plain. They were sold frozen, in with the waffles. Boy, were they delicous. Six to a pack, and the pack never made it two days,they were too good.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/11/27 21:27:10 (permalink)
    Yeah, The 3D is one I recall...2 2oz burger patties with the middle bread layer in the roll. The thing that made it better than any Big Mac I ever had was the sauce. A 1000 island type with additional relish added No veggies on this one...It was the Ultimate double Cheeseburger of the day.

The reason I know the weight was that HoJo had 3 sizes... the 2 oz was for use in 3D's, the 3 oz was for regular burgers, and the 4 oz for the 1/4lber. Man that's a lot for this old brain to drag out of the recall file.
    Judity
    Junior Burger
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/12/16 14:01:36 (permalink)
    I just Googled on chicken croquets and came across these posts. My mouth is watering as I remembered this Howard Johnson's specialty. When we were kids, my parents would take us there as a treat after shopping in Worcester, MA; I always order this, which came with a cream sauce (never enough, though), mashed potatoes, and what I think were canned peas.

If anyone can tell me where I can get this delicacy online, please send me an email at Judity01@aol.com, and I'll thank you forever. <>
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2004/12/16 14:27:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Woo

First off I have to say, YAY RED SOX!!!!
    Went to Jungle Jim's yesterday, and they had no Howard Johnson products, no Chicken Croquettes. And they also didn't carry the famous Hostess Raspberry Filled Donuts. They had tons of interesting things there however, and it was alot of fun.
    One side note, Cincinnati, I noticed, had quite a few sub places claiming they were East Coast Grinders, New England Grinders, etc.
    We couldn't help but stop at one place and get a couple, but though good, they were NOT grinders like I used to get in Mass. Not even close.
    Oh, and one last thing, RED SOX ROCK!

We have a number of places like that in Knoxville as well, all caliming to be Philly Subs, grinders, etc. and rarely do they even come close.
    BlueIrishEyes
    Junior Burger
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/01/13 09:25:21 (permalink)
    Limited Howard Johnson products are still manufactured by Fairfield Farms. This is the email address if you want to write and find out what places stock the croquettes. The Blueberry and Corn Toastees, Macaroni and Cheese and Fried Clams are still available. consumerrelations@fairfieldfarmkitchens.com

Hope you have better luck in your area than I did here.
    Holly P.
    Junior Burger
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/03/22 15:24:23 (permalink)
    Love those Blueberry Toastees. The only time we had them was when we went to Florida. Would eat them all day long. We buy several boxes for the week. Wish I could get them around home. I'm trying.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/03/22 16:05:07 (permalink)
    Toastees still sold in South at Publix, but they don't carry the mac n' cheese or clams.
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/03/22 17:19:09 (permalink)
    Danimal, I remember the fried clams too. That was back in the day when hubby and I were first married, and on a tight budget. We'd go to HoJo's and get a plate with fried clams, french fries, and coleslaw for 3 buckx. Back then we felt like we were eating in a 4 star restaurant!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/03/22 17:29:40 (permalink)
    I walked by the HoJo's in Times Square last week, went in asked about the "Howard Johnson croquettes" the man had no idea what I was talking ablout. I had a drink and left. It was a little bit of a blast from the past -- they haven't put a coat of paint on the place since the rest of the chain went "bye, bye" as far as I could tell.
    mattzito
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/03/26 06:55:37 (permalink)
    I used to love the all you can eat chicken. I don't remember which day it they had that. I grew up in Riverdale, New YOrk and my parents used to take us to the Howard Johnson's on I-80(Major Deagon) in I think Westchester county. We also went to the one that was right by the Bronx Zoo. I wish they were still around I miss them. I loved the chocolate ice cream sodas there too. For some reason when I was pretty young I used to put two packets of sugar in my HoJo cola. haha

I've lived in Las Vegas 25+ years now and they do have a HoJo Hotel but the restaurant connected is an IHOP. I just watched Woody Allens film "Broadway Danny Rose" and there is a shot if a HOJO in Manhattan. It didn't look like Time Sq to me but It might be.

ChowChow
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/05/17 16:49:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lovetoeat

I used to love the clam roll, but another HoJo sandwich I loved was the 3-D Burger. Nobody I know seems to remember that one, but I swear to this day that McDonald's stole this sandwich recipe to make the Bic Mac. Anybody here remember it?
    ChowChow
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/05/17 16:54:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lovetoeat

The 3-D Burger - remember it well. In the 1950s I used to travel the Turner Turnpike between Tulsa and Oklahoma City with my father who conducted business in the two cities. There was a Howard Johnsons on the turnpike - perhaps more than one - and we would always stop in to have a 3-D Burger. Like you, I suspect that McDonalds was inspired to put the creation on their griddles and call it one of their own.
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/06/07 13:28:58 (permalink)
    I have never eaten at HoJo's, but have eaten the clam strips and corn toastees and chicken croquettes that were bought at the grocery store. I will try to remember to ask my brother ( he has worked for a food brokerage company since 1979) about these things. He works with Publix, so maybe he will be able to track some down for me.
    uncas1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/07/20 16:11:03 (permalink)
    I'm new to this forum and reading this topic brings back a lot of memories. My brother and I were cooks at the Howard Johnson's in Palm Beach, Florida when we were in high school in the late 70's. My Mom was a waitress there from 1958 to 1990.

I had forgotten about the 3D burger until I read it in one of the previous post. It was a great burger. I also remember the chicken croquets, although I never tried them. I must say that the clams were the best I have ever had, and they were our biggest seller on the lunch AND dinner menu. They were sold as a Clam Roll, Clam Plate, or The Captains Plate(w/ a fish fillet)!

I had the opportunity to work all 3 shifts (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) at one time or another during my 5 years there. I preferred dinner.

My wife and I had breakfast at the Howard Johnsons in Times Square in NYC back in 2003. It was really a step back in time and the menu hadn't changed that much. I'm not sure how many HoJo's are still in business it would be great to find out.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/07/20 16:31:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sonjaab

FOUND TODAY............I my local IGA near Syracuse NY !
    Ho-Jos Chicken croquettes and Mac and cheese..........

I would love to know the location of this store so that I can have one of our relatives bring some chicken croquettes down some the next time that they come to visit us.
    MicahHibler
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Howard Johnson's 2005/07/22 20:51:48 (permalink)
    Well it appears that for some of you there may be good news. There are actually some HoJo's still around. It doesn't appear that they have very much of the classic food that you guys remember (I turn 29 tomorrow and don't ever remember going to a HoJo's except for sleep). Here is the website, they have a restuarant locator, etc. http://www.franchiseassociates.com/
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1