Hot!Howdy Beefburgers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:Howdy Beefburgers 2011/01/25 03:07:54 (permalink)
It's amazing how many new posters this thread has brought out of the woodwork on this subject. Keep Posting!
Old Man
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Howdy Beefburgers 2011/07/09 21:23:00 (permalink)
So I just watched History Detectives about a McDonalds clown suit and got me to thinking about Howdy's in Taunton Rte 44 that I would go to.  Then I thought about how there was either a Burger Chef or Burger Queen near it, McDonalds down the road and a Jack In The Box on the other side of town. I remember when you went there if you were from Somerset the Taunton jocks wanted to fight you.  Dighton boy, I was safe.  I hung out with a friend that was a dwarf and he owned a Ford Boss 302, he had to literally slide off the seat to hit the breaks. The idea was to try to pick up girls.  I am still holding my breath.
It was the first place I drank liquor, in the back parking lot.  A whole bottle of Tango. To this day I still don't drink.  The food was so much cheaper, but you got what you paid for.
I remember doing a Ebay search a long time ago to start collecting Howdy's stuff and there was nothing.  Thanks for letting me ramble and good to see it wasn't a dream.
SCFP
Junior Burger
RE: Howdy Beefburgers 2011/07/13 10:45:29 (permalink)
Yes, the Framingham (MA) locations are/were correct.  I worked (VERY briefly) at the Rt. 9 site - it was near the Rt. 126 / Rt. 9 junction - while I was in high school at Framingham North

The manager was a total a$$, whom would change the workers assigned hours DAYS after the schedule came out - and then had the nerve to get MAD at you if you missed (or were late) for a shift - AFTER he'd changed it w/o telling YOU.

Needless to say, this was the PRIME reason I left there ASAP, during the spring of '69.
post edited by SCFP - 2011/07/13 10:50:31
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Howdy Beefburgers 2011/07/13 17:08:29 (permalink)
At the East Hartford, CT location where I worked one summer, if you showed up and were ready for work 10-20 minutes early, the manager (who earned about 10 cents/ hr more than the minimum wage workers) would instruct us to clock in.  It took a while before we realized he would only document the actual hours assigned.   After leaving for college at the end of the summer, I went back to pick up my last paycheck.  I had already been removed from the payroll, but was talked into working another shift where the manager fed me a line that he was being transferred to a location near where I was going to school and that he would compensate for the hours when I was hired at that new location.  Hmm - I did take the new job, but never saw the manager or got that eight hours pay even after reporting it to the CT labor commission.  I was told there was no evidence I had worked that day.    
Skipcanavan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Howdy Beefburgers 2011/07/30 23:20:04 (permalink)
Old Man

So I just watched History Detectives about a McDonalds clown suit and got me to thinking about Howdy's in Taunton Rte 44 that I would go to.  Then I thought about how there was either a Burger Chef or Burger Queen near it, McDonalds down the road and a Jack In The Box on the other side of town. I remember when you went there if you were from Somerset the Taunton jocks wanted to fight you.  Dighton boy, I was safe.  I hung out with a friend that was a dwarf and he owned a Ford Boss 302, he had to literally slide off the seat to hit the breaks. The idea was to try to pick up girls.  I am still holding my breath.
It was the first place I drank liquor, in the back parking lot.  A whole bottle of Tango. To this day I still don't drink.  The food was so much cheaper, but you got what you paid for.
I remember doing a Ebay search a long time ago to start collecting Howdy's stuff and there was nothing.  Thanks for letting me ramble and good to see it wasn't a dream.

Old Man....I grew up in Taunton (THS Class of '80)...and loved going to Howdy's on 44. Next door was a Burger Chef and downtown we had a Carrol's which became Burger King and moved onto 44 also.  The downton Tex Barry's HotDogs is still open I believe...I think it was once a large chain with only Taunton and Attleboro still open. And Tango...have not seen that since the mid-70's!
macpats
Junior Burger
Re:Howdy Beefburgers 2011/10/14 22:12:58 (permalink)
hi all
We had a howdy's in Saco,Maine right on the river. i remember the big one was a good burger. also one Halloween they gave kids free small burger,fries and small coke. we went 3 times changing costumes each time.  

rocker0n
Junior Burger
Re:Howdy Beefburgers 2012/07/28 14:43:57 (permalink)
Hello!!. In 1970 I worked at Howdy Beef Burger in the South end in New Beford Ma. I ws the cook. I still have my Howdy Shirt!!. We had a Howdy's in New Bedford Ma. Way before McDonalds,Burger Chef or Burger King. When I got paid my check had the Dunkin Donut logo on it. Howdy's were owned by DD back then.
Howdycurious
Junior Burger
RE: Howdy Beefburgers 2013/10/28 23:35:45 (permalink)
Could you tell me if Howdy's ever served fish?

mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Howdy Beefburgers 2013/11/04 05:23:28 (permalink)
Howdycurious

Could you tell me if Howdy's ever served fish?

Yes.  They had a fish sandwich (starting in the mid 60's), but IMO, it compared poorly vs. McDonalds.  It was deep fried in the french fry fryer and was served on a grilled bun, similar to the burger buns with 1/2 slice of cheese.  I'm guessing the differences were a steamed bun with better quality tarter sauce and likely a better fish fillet as well at Mcdonalds.  It was NOT a big seller at the two locations where I worked. 
post edited by mjambro - 2013/11/04 05:25:33
ckolovson
Junior Burger
Re:Howdy Beefburgers 2014/01/07 18:35:16 (permalink)
I worked at the Howdy's in West Roxbury in the 1970s. "Howdy, may I help you?" 
kengug
Junior Burger
RE: Howdy Beefburgers 2014/01/12 17:45:46 (permalink)
Wow does this thread bring back memories. I worked at Howdy's on Rt 135 in Framingham for about 3 years in the late1970's. Man, did we have fun working there! Yes, we had fish, including fish sandwiches (cod), a haddock dinner, a shrimp dinner, and clam strips. And we had chowder (Snow`s) every day. Lester and Goldie owned the place, and their 20-something year old kids helped to manage it. Quite a cast of characters hung out there at the time. Us worker bees were a tight crew and we had a lot of fun, made a lot of memories. A closing shift was not complete without a little attitude adjustment in the back room during break. Those were the days, we were just too young to know it!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8474
Re:Howdy Beefburgers 2014/01/15 20:13:20 (permalink)
Perry-you are an idiot. And I suspect you are posting to get pictures of your stupid kitchen stuff.....
Equity6
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Howdy Beefburgers 2014/09/23 14:24:04 (permalink)
There was a Howdy Beefburger Drive-In on New Park Ave. in West Hartford, CT. When I first got my driver's license I used to love to go there. Its jingle went like this

Howdy Beefburger Drive-ins Serve up tasty treats
Beefburgers made with just the finest meats
Howdy Beefburger Drive-Ins, Drive right up and get
Speedy Speedy Speedy Service and the best Beefburgers yet.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1