Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck

Author
Truckin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
2005/11/22 10:00:47 (permalink)

Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck

I've been lurking on this forum, enjoying all the posts and tips, and just registered this morning.

In a couple weeks I'll be picking up a truck I've had customized for Espresso and Smoothies. Plan Review passed with flying colors in the home county, will start here but plan to spread out. I have 2 venue plans: music festivals; dog and horse shows; auctions, promotions and all kinds of special events on the weekends - then construction sites on weekdays. My county is under heavy development, and townhouse/condo sites are literally right next to each other. I've been in construction and maintenance all my life, so I speak the lingo ("#@!!&*%!!!") and this is my mid-50's career change.

I'm pushing a "gourmet-organic" approach especially for the weekend activities, and get a little looser for the construction activity, microwaving BBQ sandwiches and Burritos, expecting to pour more "Americanos" than "lattes."

I'm in Southeast Pennsylvania, and will do most all my business around here, but I already have a commissary and location in Panama City, FL for the Spring Break, and just heard about a week long Bluegrass Festival in Tennessee. Campin' and vendin' sound good to me. Plus Tunes!

So, I'm just chuckin a thread out here, see if anyone wants to mention anything at all about coffee, special events, Mobile Food Unit bits, travel, construction sites, whatever. We all work different niches, but whether it's burgers, fries, coffee, smoothies, etc, we're pretty much in the same field. Hope for replies, I've learned a lot from this forum, with special thanks to Cowboy Bob, JoJoBeans, CornDogQueen, Uncle Vic and many others. Love a forum with so many cool handles.

Best, Ed

http://www.hoboespresso.com

16 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/22 10:42:20 (permalink)
    Nice rig and nice website Ed, good wishes to you. Having worked on job sites myself, not sure how well lattes, etc. will fly but maybe things have changed in the last 10 years I've been away.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15184
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/22 11:03:48 (permalink)

Welcome aboard Ed,. I'm not a pro in the food-service business, but I read the threads in this forum daily and find that most of the folks here seem to know a bit about the business.
    Good Luck on your new venture.

AL
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/22 12:07:15 (permalink)
    Nice presentation and I like the looks of your truck. Appearance is a whole lot of what you want.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/22 23:16:35 (permalink)
    That looks GREAT! I particularly like the fact that you are using organic and supporting the Fair Trade.

Best of luck to you.

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/23 00:22:53 (permalink)
    Looks good. hope things go well.
    bluetick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/23 00:57:15 (permalink)
    Ed:

I am a coffee geek, so I gotta ask, what espresso machine are you using?
    Truckin
    Junior Burger
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/23 08:44:11 (permalink)
    kland, basically, your take on lattes at construction sites is probably well-founded, but it's the word that has gotten the "John Kerry-Grace and Will" stereotype, not coffee itself. Besides "Americanos," which is espresso shots with hot water, I can offer straight shots too. ("OK Buddy, want some tough-guy coffee? Wanna do a couple shots with me? First one is free.") And the word "mocha" doesn't put people off - an awful lot of chocolate goes down the gullet at construction sites. I know some painters that run on pure espresso, and even Dunkin Donuts in this area is selling Mochalatte-whatevers hand over fist.

Anyway, I conceived this whole thing to hit the road and do music fests mainly, and the rest is what to do with Monday to Friday. If construction is lukewarm, I'll be looking at auctions, farm markets, big car dealers, etc.

Others, thanks for your encouragement. Bluetick, I'm using a Brasilia Portofino American, which is very compact, has 2 group heads and is categorized "fully automatic" meaning it is not the Starbucks style superautomatic that grinds, doses, and everything. I grind per cup, pack the head, and a digital keypad enables me to program the shot - so I can count on an automatic, push-button shot that usually works for my blend, but can override or reprogram it if it seems necessary to do so. Geeky enough for ya? I didn't even get started.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/23 09:46:15 (permalink)
    Ed---i LOVE it---great looking rig--and it looks like my kind of products--like Bushie--i like to see the Fair Trade Coffee aand organic products!!! Best of luck---oh yea--like the music set up too--and youve got BLUES TOO!!!---welcome aboard!
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/11/23 10:10:34 (permalink)
    ("OK Buddy, want some tough-guy coffee? Wanna do a couple shots with me? First one is free.") That reminds me of my first encounter with caffee cubano (sp) a lil cuban truck driver delivering manholes to a job I was working in Miami climbs out of the truck with a coffee cup and little paper shot glasses..Coffee in a shot cup?? c'mon..... talk about a pick me up!! Good Luck Hobo..nice lookin rig
    JMac300
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/12/12 03:50:38 (permalink)
    Hey Truckin & Other Espresso Truckers,

I am just getting started putting together an espresso truck.

Are there any websites or message boards you can direct me to -- to help me get started?
    I have a lot of questions & want to do this right.

Any suggestions you can share are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Mac
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/12/12 12:56:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JMac300

Hey Truckin & Other Espresso Truckers,

I am just getting started putting together an espresso truck.

Are there any websites or message boards you can direct me to -- to help me get started?
    I have a lot of questions & want to do this right.

Any suggestions you can share are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Mac

Here's a couple that may help you out:
    www.roadfood.com (Click on the Restraunt Professionals area in the forums)
    www.chef2chef.com (Click on the forums)
    www.roguefood.com (A little crazy there, but tons of resources!)
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/12/12 13:03:55 (permalink)
    Ed (Truckin)... Nice website! But where's the menu?
    Keep us posted on your venture there... Glad to hear you got out of the back breaking business into the knuckle burning job now! Best of luck!!!!!

lunasatic
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/12/12 13:47:58 (permalink)
    Gods, hobo! Do you do mail-order yet??? (To central Louisiana, no less!) We're fixin' to lose our only Starbucks for +200 miles! HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!
    Truckin
    Junior Burger
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/12/20 21:06:50 (permalink)
    Vic: yeah, back breaking, knuckle burning, lol....I just don't dash across roofs like I used to. A menu is a good idea, since the website is mainly a link for event promoters, etc.

JMac: there are a lot of mobile discussions at
    http://www.specialty-coffee.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=1
    and
    http://www.coffeeforums.com/viewforum.php?f=6

just search the forums themselves for "mobile" and you will get many results. Very few mobile operators seem to hang out on forums... but most members are coffee shop retailers or wannabes and the discussions are very informing. As either "Truckin" or "Jumpin Java Bean" I have instigated many of these threads for the past few months... but now that I have my truck I have a lot less time.

lunastic: it's DIY time! Get yourself a little countertop unit. I used to pack espresso in a stanley thermos years before Starbucks cast their shadow across my region. Good luck!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/12/21 00:39:16 (permalink)
    Good Deal Truckin... If anything, atleast mention the basics (without the prices)... Keep them potentials snooping there..

Again.. Best of Luck! Keep us posted on the ups and downs...

tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Howdy from MFU Espresso Truck 2005/12/21 09:42:38 (permalink)
    Is that roguefood.com a RF knockoff?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1