Howie's, Stratford CT

Author
yanque
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Joined: 2008/10/30 22:38:00
  • Location: manchester, NH
  • Status: offline
2008/10/30 23:20:13 (permalink)

Howie's, Stratford CT

Anyone remember Howie's , Across from the runway at Bridgeport Airport.Great foot longs, deep fried then "dried" on the grill. A victim of FAA regulations as to runway clearance in the early '70s. Many times a low flying airplane would have employees and customers ducking for cover.
#1

14 Replies Related Threads

    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/10/31 11:04:25 (permalink)
    Was Howies the place on the corner, near the Chance Vought factory?
    #2
    yanque
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    • Joined: 2008/10/30 22:38:00
    • Location: manchester, NH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/10/31 21:16:27 (permalink)
    I believe you are thinking of the Cricket, corner of S Main and Access Road. Very similar joint.Howie's was just past the plant towards Lordship.
    #3
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/10/31 22:05:49 (permalink)
    Yes, it was the Cricket. But now I know the place you mean towards Lordship. My wife's family had a cottage at Pleasure Beach, so I know the area. We used to go to a place, the name of which I can't remember, right across from the water at Lordship for steamers and lobsters. Unfortunately, it's been gone for a good 12 or 13 years. I think it might have been called Skipper's.
    #4
    garcher98
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Joined: 2005/02/08 16:20:00
    • Location: Seaside, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/11/04 17:29:08 (permalink)
    Was there a small amusement park behind Howies? I remember a place like that near the airport back in the 60's. I'm in California and the people out here think I'm crazy when I tell them about deepfried dogs that are then grilled. A split top bun is unknown to them out here too!. Does anyone remember Maraczi's Hot Dog stand at the beginning of Beardsley park? He used to put choppeb bacon on the bun before anything else. Great dogs and great memories. Out here they think that Costco dogs are the best!
    #5
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/11/04 18:16:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garcher98

    Was there a small amusement park behind Howies? I remember a place like that near the airport back in the 60's. I'm in California and the people out here think I'm crazy when I tell them about deepfried dogs that are then grilled. A split top bun is unknown to them out here too!. Does anyone remember Maraczi's Hot Dog stand at the beginning of Beardsley park? He used to put choppeb bacon on the bun before anything else. Great dogs and great memories. Out here they think that Costco dogs are the best!

    I not only remember it, my wife's godmother's husband owned it.
    #6
    yanque
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    • Joined: 2008/10/30 22:38:00
    • Location: manchester, NH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/11/04 21:00:44 (permalink)
    Your really taking my memory back. Skippers was originally a pizza place at the seawall in Lordship in the 50,s (very good). Had a good bar and some sea food. In the 70's it tried to evolve into a high end seafood place (read price) didn't work, I believe it is gone now. The playground was up around the corner from Howie's, behind Ahern's, another hot dog/burger joint Ahern's changed hands in the late 50's and became Maraczi's.
    As I remember all 3, Ahern's/Maraczi's, Howie's and the Cricket all deep fried their dogs. They would probably put you in jail for that now but boy, were they good.
    #7
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/11/04 22:02:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yanque

    Your really taking my memory back. Skippers was originally a pizza place at the seawall in Lordship in the 50,s (very good). Had a good bar and some sea food. In the 70's it tried to evolve into a high end seafood place (read price) didn't work, I believe it is gone now. The playground was up around the corner from Howie's, behind Ahern's, another hot dog/burger joint Ahern's changed hands in the late 50's and became Maraczi's.
    As I remember all 3, Ahern's/Maraczi's, Howie's and the Cricket all deep fried their dogs. They would probably put you in jail for that now but boy, were they good.

    We used to go to Skippers often. Never had the apizza there, but their steamers and broiled lobsters stuffed with lobster were terrific. It was a pretty rundown place with wooden floors that never seemed clean, but the beer was cold and plentiful. I remember how disappointing it was back in the mid '90s when we were back in Connecticut and took out grandson there -- and it had become a white-tablecloth place. The clam chowder was good, though.
    #8
    catnhatnh
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    • Joined: 2006/09/07 21:51:00
    • Location: Rochester, NH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/11/08 12:15:09 (permalink)
    Sadly all 4 places mentioned are gone now and the area "gentrified". The three hot dog stands were all in about a half mile stretch of Main street. Heading south you first reached the Cricket which lasted the longest and kept it's name till the end. Further along just past the airport was a stand that had 2 names at different times-Prussian's/Howie's and then up around the corner was the hot dog stand/amusement park known at various times as Ahern's/Marczi's/Wild Willie's and possibly a few other names.

    Skipper's on the beach was where I learned to cook short order and Pop's next door was where I learned to tend bar (beer-tend only)...

    Skipper's was the last to go falling to a fire in about the late 90's. They were the places of my youth and I miss them all.
    #9
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2008/11/08 13:21:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by catnhatnh


    Skipper's was the last to go falling to a fire in about the late 90's. They were the places of my youth and I miss them all.

    I know what you mean.
    #10
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    • Joined: 2009/02/04 22:56:00
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2009/02/05 12:35:07 (permalink)

    Maraczi's, The Greeks, Whites Diner, I used to wash cars behind Maracz'i when I was a kid. We used to walk from Arctic St. Nothing like standing in line, in the cold, at the Greeks for the best hotdogs.
    #11
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    • Joined: 2009/02/04 22:56:00
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2009/02/05 12:39:13 (permalink)

    APIZZA = ABeets with extra Scamoza ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GGEEEZZZZZZZ only in Bridgeport...I used to get pizza at Roccos and Jerry's on the Eastside
    #12
    catnhatnh
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    • Joined: 2006/09/07 21:51:00
    • Location: Rochester, NH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2009/02/10 02:05:39 (permalink)
    Real local vocabulary...the "Abeetz" thing and also "scamotz" which was actually "scamorza"-a smoked mozzeralla...Stratford and Bridgeport produced some of the finest roadfood ever sold.
    #13
    beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    • Joined: 2008/02/16 06:29:00
    • Location: bellingham, WA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2009/02/10 04:38:49 (permalink)
    That's my home home town  go aherns roller coaster as a wee one. The cricket always nte stop to eat. Circa late 60's early 70's
    #14
    catnhatnh
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    • Joined: 2006/09/07 21:51:00
    • Location: Rochester, NH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Howie's, Stratford CT 2009/02/10 23:02:47 (permalink)





    This ones for you...
    #15
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1