Huge Turkey Legs

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
2003/04/26 19:10:06 (permalink)

Huge Turkey Legs

We were racing today at the NHRA drags in Bristol. There were selling huge turkey legs. The looked good, but I did not have the nerve to sample. They were $6.00 each. People looked strange carrying around the huge legs and biting on them. They looked good but looked sorta sloppy.

Any comments on taste, etc.?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

27 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/26 19:21:43 (permalink)
    You should try one, Sundance. They sell those down here at just about 99% of any festival you'd want to attend. They have a lot more tendons than a chicken leg, so they're somewhat messy to eat, but I think they're tasty. Kinda like pickin' through the bones in a panfish.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/26 19:38:38 (permalink)
    Bushie: I wanted to try one but I am on this old age diet. It ain't a good time to be on one. They sure did look good (Huge Turkey Legs), but I did not try them. In addition I saw a bunch of people trying them. Quite frankly, they did look sloppy and I still wanted one.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/26 22:59:00 (permalink)
    Neet how are they prepared? I love turkey in all forms. The bones make the best stock.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/27 03:53:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Any comments on taste, etc.?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I've always been disappointed with Turkey Legs. The last time I had 'em was at Disney World. They look huge and remind me of the Flintstones, but they're usually really dry. It's like eating bland Turkey jerky on a bone.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/27 17:54:22 (permalink)
    Yep, yumbo, they do tend to be dry. You must have to know how to cook them (I don't, but there's a lot of people around here that apparently do) to keep them edible.

Rumbelly, the only ones I've ever had have been slow-smoked (the true definition of BBQ). Since they have VERY little fat, it appears to me that it's a LOT harder than it sounds to cook them in a way that turns out a tasty result. Just one of those things that requires practice, I guess.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/28 07:48:13 (permalink)
    Like, Yumbo, I was at Disney World last year and the turkey leg carts were everywhere. It was actually funny to watch some people eating them. I never broke down and bought one as I talked to someone that had one and they were not too impressed. This person said that the turkey leg had a real smokey flavor and it was very strong, and they were not real sure how fresh they were.

Now as for home cooked turkey, the leg is my favorite part. Just got to get by the tendons, or whatever those long plastic like pieces are !!

Danhx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/29 18:36:25 (permalink)
    I probably ate five of those turkey legs last time i was at Disney World (six years ago) and i thought they were delicious. The ones i had were moist and wonderfully flavored. Although cumbersome, i certainly didn't mind carrying around a huge slab of meat since they were so freekin good. They were wonderfully smoky and actually quite moist. It was a whole meal on the bone.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/29 19:35:18 (permalink)
    BTW y'all; we've talked about these smoked turkey legs, and we've talked about deep-fried turkeys. Have any of you ever tried deep-frying just the turkey legs
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/29 20:33:20 (permalink)
    It would probably turn out tasting pretty similar to the leg off of an entire fried turkey wouldn't it? Plus i can't remember when i've seen turkey legs for sale apart from the whole bird.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/30 07:38:52 (permalink)
    Probably, Danhx. But now I'm on a quest for the "perfect turkey leg". I'm going to try it soon just to see how they come out. I see them in the stores year round here, so I'm going to put that on my list of "soon-to-do" experiments.
    gimmepork
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/30 10:01:01 (permalink)
    I live in Indianapolis, and every year at the Indiana State Fair, I always have a smoked turkey leg (and usually take one home). The people from whom I get them were the first vendor at the fair to have them, although a couple of other places there now sell them. I haven't tried them at the other places, but the ones I get are always wonderful. I can see how they could dry out, but they're fairly moist here. It is kind of a chore to wade through all of the wacky flat bone-like things on them (kinda like shin-splints or something), but, mmmm, does it taste good! I have had them at other festivals, and they've never been as good. If you make it to the Indiana State Fair in August, this place is always set up just south of the "Hook's Historical Drugstore". They also serve ribs and other BBQ items as well as side dishes. If you run into me there, I'll tell you where to get the best foot-long buttermilk battered corn dogs (it's over by the sheep barn, naturally), and which place sells the best elephant ears.
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/30 13:11:43 (permalink)
    are those ears from actual elephants? I assume not due to the protection that elephant species receive around the world, but i wouldn't be surprised if someone ate them at some point. So what exactly are they, and are they any good?

Bushie: please let us know how those legs turn out so i can know if i need to hunt down a store that sells just the legs. (i live in greenville, nc and since it's a college town the stores tend to stick to the staple food items. Finding anything beyond the norm requires me going to the manager of either a certain department or of the whole store and asking if they will special order something)
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/04/30 13:14:21 (permalink)
    Rumbelly: you're right about that turkey bone stock. My mother has always made Turkey vegetable soup the day after thanksgiving and it blows my mind every year. Its a wonderful departure from the usual chicken stock based soups.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/05/07 10:33:27 (permalink)
    DAN
    Elephant Ears are flat dough fried in oil, then sweetened usually with powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar...much like a Funnel Cake. The size varies, as it would on the Elephant, but a good vendor at a fair is often known by offering "large" Ears, meaning 10-12 inches across, and the guy who peddles the 8 inchers won't do the same volume of business.
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/05/08 14:19:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing that up Al. I was certain that they weren't actual pacaderm earpieces, but i did think they were some sort of beef jerky-like substance. As you can probably tell, I don't make it to many fairs
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/05/08 15:00:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Danhx

(i live in greenville, nc and since it's a college town the stores tend to stick to the staple food items. Finding anything beyond the norm requires me going to the manager of either a certain department or of the whole store and asking if they will special order something)

Go Pirates! I went to high school in Chapel Hill, and I really miss that sweet NC BBQ. You are in BBQ heaven there.

-YUmbo (Seattle WA)
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2003/05/21 17:44:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

quote:

(i live in greenville, nc and since it's a college town the stores tend to stick to the staple food items. Finding anything beyond the norm requires me going to the manager of either a certain department or of the whole store and asking if they will special order something)

Go Pirates! I went to high school in Chapel Hill, and I really miss that sweet NC BBQ. You are in BBQ heaven there.

-YUmbo (Seattle WA)

It was a change from the georgia barbeque which is more based on the sauce. Once i adjusted to the difference it grew on me pretty quickly. I've been told that there is a big difference between western N.C. BBQ and eastern N.C. BBQ, but i haven't had the western variety yet. I doubt it gets much better than the fresh stuff from the ECU "Pig Pickin's" though! During football season you can't take a step without landing on a pig
    toneloc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/06/03 17:34:42 (permalink)
    Does anyone know where turkey legs come from? i.e. are they just enormous turkeys? i am wondering bc some are so big they have to come from a 30-40 pound turkey, which i would imagine is pretty rare. plus a turkey that size would be very costly and it's hard to believe someone could make money selling just the legs for $6. i really want to know this. Also, are buffalo wings from tiny chickens, or is that just the size of a normal chicken wing? seems like the wings at KFC are bigger
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/06/04 09:24:56 (permalink)
    The best turkey legs that I have tasted was at Dollywood last summer.
    These were realy moist and actually tasted like a moist smoked ham.
    They serve them on a plate with utensils, so that at least you can cut off pieces of it instead of holding the entire leg up and taking a bite. If you are ever in Dollywood, try their turkey legs and also try their roasted ears of corn.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/06/04 09:42:27 (permalink)
    Smoked turkey legs have always been a starring food attraction at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire.
    sailaway83
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/06/27 13:04:42 (permalink)
    If anyone is still interested...this is how I prepare BBQ turkey legs...

I boil them for a good hour or so...till the meat is almost falling off the bone...but not quite...then douse with your favorite BBQ sauce and either throw on the grill or in the oven and roast till is slightly carmalized...

I've never had a complaint yet.
    lamicus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/09/22 14:05:41 (permalink)
    Anyone ever think about soaking the legs in a brine before smoking them? That's probably the key to keeping them moist without getting an overpowering smoky flavor...
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/09/22 14:25:46 (permalink)
    I think that the ones that I have eaten were probably soaked in a brine, because they were really moist-sort of like moist ham. They were pink from being smoked but did not have a heavy smoked taste.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/09/22 15:15:56 (permalink)
    I too have had them at Disney World, Wild Adventures, and at our Medevial Fair here. The best were Wild Adventures. My son and I shared one. These were smoked in one of those upright stainless steel(?)smokers, and were very moist indeed. I remember trying to clean my son's hands and all the napkins sticking to his little fingers. We have had some raw legs in our local grocer that must have weighed around 3 lbs each(I mean scary)and were $2. My husband wanted to buy one, freeze it just show people how big the darn thing was. That didn't happen.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/09/22 15:43:48 (permalink)
    Our Rennasiance Fair (sp) is coming up in 2 weeks. I am looking forward to it. They always have the turkey legs and other special treats. It wil be every weekend between October 2 and November 14. Lots of entertainment, fun and food.!!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4042
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/09/22 17:53:05 (permalink)
    quote:

It would probably turn out tasting pretty similar to the leg off of an entire fried turkey wouldn't it? Plus i can't remember when i've seen turkey legs for sale apart from the whole bird.

Many of the markets out here in CA sell the smoked turkey legs in the meat section. I regularly buy them to use in gumbos. I have also regularly seem just the uncooked legs available, mainly in the Mexican markets near me.
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Huge Turkey Legs 2004/09/27 14:13:43 (permalink)
    There is a guy who sells (the actual name of the stand) "Big Ass Turkey Legs" at Iowa football games in Iowa City, right across from the stadium. They are outstanding.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1