The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hunan's in San Francisco anyone?

johnsuber

• Total Posts: 12
Hunan's in San Francisco anyone? Sun, 07/9/06 2:18 PM (permalink)
Has anyone else ever been to Hunan's, in San Francisco lately? The New Yorker food critic once called it the "finest Chinese restaurant in the world" and IMHO, they weren't drastically overstating the case. I've been going there for 25 years now and its uniformly consistently
good. The dumplings, onion cakes, and the Hunanese specialties found
so few other places are exquisite. Probably the easiest location to
get into quickly is the one at 924 Sansome Street just north of Broadway. Yes, its HOT if you order it that way, Hunanese is full of
bold flavor unlike Cantonese subtleties but its WORTH it!!

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Hunan's in San Francisco anyone? Sun, 07/9/06 8:13 PM (permalink)
    Haven't been there in a very long time. I used to go to the DPD Noodle House which was 2 doors away, was excellent, and didn't have the long lines of tourists that Hunan had. It does seem to get good reviews among the locals: http://www.sfsurvey.com/rd.asp?r=68

For dumplings, though, I would not go there but would go to the Shanghai Dumpling Shop whose dumplings are among the best I've ever had, anywhere:

Gary Soup

• Total Posts: 22
      RE: Hunan's in San Francisco anyone? Thu, 07/13/06 12:58 AM (permalink)
      Agree on Shanghai Dumpling Shop, which is now actually called Shanghai Dumpling King. The woman who ran it before is now running their second branch on the Peninsula, and her husband is now running the Balboa St. operation. If anything, the xiaolong bao are even better than ever.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: Hunan's in San Francisco anyone? Thu, 07/13/06 3:07 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Gary Soup

Agree on Shanghai Dumpling Shop, which is now actually called Shanghai Dumpling King. The woman who ran it before is now running their second branch on the Peninsula, and her husband is now running the Balboa St. operation. If anything, the xiaolong bao are even better than ever.

You better agree. I went there the first time when you recommended it and I loved it.

Gary Soup

• Total Posts: 22
          RE: Hunan's in San Francisco anyone? Thu, 07/13/06 11:49 AM (permalink)
          You are right, how soon we forget! I've forgotten when I made that recommendation, but for a while I thought the XLB at Shanghai in Oakland Chinatown were better, but not any more.

FWIW, here's a comparison of xiaolong bao from seven different local sources I made a couple of months ago (assuming RF allows linking to Chowhound posts):

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/show/45011

If anyone else is as much a xiaolong bao nut as me, they can also find a recent report on XLB on its home turf (Shanghai) by me on the CH China board.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com