Hungarian Recipes

Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
2012/02/06 17:58:23 (permalink)

Hungarian Recipes

I'm looking for a good recipe for Goulash and Paprikash. There are plenty of recipes out on the internet but I don't want to play hit or miss with it. So, could the chefs and cooks who have made either of these in the past please share their recipe?

Thanks

CNW

2 Replies Related Threads

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:Hungarian Recipes 2012/02/06 21:58:16 (permalink)
    If the Paprikash doesn't have sour cream, go to another recipe (although Jane & Michael recommended a Hungarian place in Connecticut which makes paprikash without sour cream; it was a bitch to find in the pre-Internet maps/navigator era).

Remember, though; there's one big problem with Hungarian food....

...an hour after you eat it, you're Hungarian!

Bart
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Hungarian Recipes 2012/02/07 09:13:59 (permalink)
    Here is the recipe I use for Chicken Paprikash

3 pounds chicken pieces I remove the skin)
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 1/2 tablespoons paprika (preferably sweet Hungarian)
    2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    1 cup sour cream
    Rinse chicken and pat dry, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    Heat oil in ay pot over moderately high heat until hot, then brown chicken in 2 batches, skin sides down first, turning over once, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a shallow bowl. Add onion and garlic to pot and sauté, stirring, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
    Add paprika and stir in tomato sauce and water. Add chicken pieces, , and simmer, covered, until chicken is very tender but not falling off the bone, about 30 minutes. Remove lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes more. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    Transfer 1 cup sauce to a bowl and whisk in sour cream, then stir mixture into remaining sauce in pot and season with salt.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1