The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"???

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Sat, 07/12/03 10:48 AM (permalink)

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
    RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Sat, 07/12/03 12:51 PM (permalink)
    Yuk. But that reminds me of a story. I belong to a cooking forum where a bunch of the people make or post a recipe from Gourmet or Bon Appetit magazine (no offense, Sterns) and think that makes them a gourmet cook. But other than the "snob squad", there are some wonderful cooks there, who post recipes that are always simple but wonderful. One time, one of the 'gourmands' was requesting a recipe for a special dessert for her 5 year old godson. After the dust cleared from the tiramisus and souffles, one of the truly good cooks posted a recipe for Potty Jeelo - a new plastic bedpan filled with lemon jello and submerged tootsie rolls. Too bad - he got an amaretto custard with spun caramel.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Sat, 07/12/03 2:04 PM (permalink)
      The Jello recipe reminds me of the classic scene in CaddyShack where Bill Murray clears everyone out of the Country-Club Pool by tossing in a Baby Ruth Candy Bar.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
        RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Sat, 07/12/03 2:43 PM (permalink)
        Interesting site. While not necessarily something I would serve to some of my older Aunts, There are some other of my Aunts who would be falling over themselves to get the recipes. Could definitley see them served at kids parties & Holloween events. What 10 year old boy wouldn't go home & say " WOW is Mrs W--- neat! She served boogers on a stick!"

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
          RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Sun, 07/13/03 5:27 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The Jello recipe reminds me of the classic scene in CaddyShack where Bill Murray clears everyone out of the Country-Club Pool by tossing in a Baby Ruth Candy Bar.

I tried doing that once in high school. It didn't work. Baby Ruths sink!

EliseT

RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Sun, 07/13/03 5:31 AM (permalink)
            Yeah, I've seen that kitty litter cake. It horrifies me! I remember when those flowerpots full of chocolate cookie crumbs, pudding and gummi worms were "in".

One of my favorite party tricks was to get a goldfish bowl, fill it halfway full of vodka jello (blue flavor), then once it's set I would put in plastic fish and fill it up. It was really pretty. Gummi fish don't work. They discolor and turn opaque (maybe Vibration Guy knows why?).

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
              RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Mon, 07/14/03 1:42 PM (permalink)
              Elise......I'll have to remember the goldfish bowl for the next "Jimmy Buffet Dock Party" I go to. Maybe the vodka jello will go slower if they have to scoop around the fish.......

EliseT

RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Tue, 07/15/03 2:50 AM (permalink)
                Actually, people end up just picking it up and slurping it down straight out of the bowl after awhile. Plastic aquarium plants are also a nice touch (I buy everything new and run it all through the dishwasher first).

EliseT

RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Tue, 10/7/03 2:33 AM (permalink)
                  I'm dragging this out of archives just in time for Halloween

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6254
                    RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Tue, 10/7/03 4:35 AM (permalink)
                    After several trips to China and at the expense of being looked down upon as a "nasty Westerner" I successfully managed to turn down all invites to eat bugs, worms, crickets, caterpillars and the such. BLEEEECCCHHHH.

LizzieR

• Total Posts: 92
                      RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Tue, 10/7/03 9:12 PM (permalink)
                      who thinks up these things? The jello stuff is pretty well known but cow lungs? Nevertheless, a fun site to explore.

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
                        RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Tue, 10/7/03 10:28 PM (permalink)
                        I've done a "sand cake" which is just like the "dirt cake" only with vanilla cookies and served in a sand bucket with a spade and a couple of shells. Kids love it...

EliseT

RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Tue, 10/7/03 10:35 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by CoreyEl

I've done a "sand cake" which is just like the "dirt cake" only with vanilla cookies and served in a sand bucket with a spade and a couple of shells. Kids love it...

I hope they were those Belgian chocolate shells from Trader Joe's...yum!

Julia I

RE: Hungry For Somthing "DIFFERENT"??? Wed, 10/8/03 2:09 AM (permalink)
                            For the last two years the Wisconsin State Fair has had a baking contest for kids to create the most "Disgusting Cake". I have to say, I've been most impressed by the finalists. They would give even some of these recipes a run for their money. (What I really love is to hang around that area and listen to the comments from passerbys who are unaware of the object of the contest.)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com