Huntsville in the Spring

Author
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 528
2013/09/04 12:21:30 (permalink)

Huntsville in the Spring

Hey gang.

Well I started working on this addendum to my other spring report for just places in Huntsville and just never got around to posting it.
So here, after much delay, is my full debriefing.

Due to a death in the family and a graduation we ended up in HSV for 9 days over the course of 2 trips in May.

Of course we ate at my SIL’s place a number of times and a catered party for the graduation. It was catered by Nothing but Noodles and I gotta say, when it comes to noodle dishes they offer up a great chocolate chip cookie. In fairness, this was mess hall style dining so I won’t condemn them for being pretty bad. Nor will I rush out and try them either.
There are 3 5 Guys in Huntsville. 2 are good. 1 is not. Unfortunately I was dragged to the not good one. Oh well.

To make up for 5G’s we went to Nothing Bundt Cakes and it was great. Nice, moist bundt cakes in a variety of flavours. We got Red Velvet for my nieces graduation dinner and Mrs. Sippi and I split a Cinnamon Swirl cake.

Both were great but the cinnamon one was better.

I reluctantly agreed to meet for lunch at Mellow Mushroom. Chain pizza, YEAH!!! As it turns out, MM turns out some pretty fine pies. I had a Meat Lovers concoction and it was simply good pizza.

Probably a good step up from Costco pizza which is also pretty serviceable. I actually use Costco as my benchmark for pizza. As good or better, I’m good with that. Not as good…see ya.

We made a standard stop at Dreamland. Once again the ribs were fantastic. I would be hard pressed to say there are ribs that I like better than theirs. Not true Q in that they’re grilled directly over a hickory fire but fantastic none the less. I’ve posted many pictures and a video before.

Adding to my 20 Tastes of Huntsville project we visited Blue Plate Café

and Mullin’s Restaurant.

You can read about them on the thread devoted to the list. If you haven't already

At Mullin’s I had a disappointing Patty Melt. For a regular burger they use fresh ground beef but for the patty melt they use a frozen patty. It wasn’t a good one but not bad either.

#3 on the list is the Slaw Dog. I didn’t see any reason to like it going in and wasn’t disappointed. A sweet ketchup and cabbage slaw on a hot dog. The dog itself is good but the slaw was every bit as vile as I expected.
On a side note they make excellent onion rings.

Made fresh in house they’re really just as good as onion rings get.

I’d heard good things about a little Soul Food place named Mama Annie’s. I can attest that the food is as good as rumoured. Owned by 3 generations of UAA&M graduates and located right on campus.

Mrs’s Sippi enjoyed her Beef Tips and Gravy on Rice and my Glazed Ham was fabulous.

The sides were all very good although I wasn’t moved by the Mac n Cheese. The glaze on the ham was very good and so well balanced that for the most part, no one flavour stood out above another.

The cobbler for dessert was exactly what Mrs. Sippi wanted but the big star of the show was the Red Velvet Cake. Probably the best I've had.

I’ve heard all kinds of great things about Chuckwagon BBQ in neighbouring Madison. They’re doing Texas style Q in the heart of Dixie. Not really a recipe for success but if you consider they’re thriving then you know they’re good.

The sides were solid but not special.Nothing wrong with that in my mind.

The Sausage and Brisket combo I ordered was great although lacking a strong smoke flavour. The sausage was really fantastic and the brisket may have been better. Both hit all their markers except, as I said, a strong smokiness.

Pretty much every year my SIL’s MIL orders a turkey breast from New Market BBQ. Quite honestly, I’ve never been impressed. So I really didn’t have a whole lot of interest in heading out there for a meal.
They I read a report from Grant (Heartbreak Soup) and, with he and I seeming to have a similar palate, talking about how good it was, I knew I needed to give it a fair shake.

So with that we had lunch and let me tell you, IMHO it’s some of the best Q in the area. Sides, desserts, well, everything were at the very least, very good.
The one thing that stood out was the Brisket Sandwich. Smoky, juicy, rich, beefy and down right delicious. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

As a side note, one of the things I ordered on my combo plate was the Turkey Breast. I will say that it was fantastic. I’m guessing the production line of turkey that’s being cranked out for Thanksgiving is not a true measure of their product. Smaller batches means more attention to detail means better product.

Another stop at Duffy's Deli was in order. This little sandwich shop is very much a hidden gem in Huntsville. You may not have your eyeballs pop out when your sandwich is delivered however once you bite in, you'll understand.
Their claim to fame is the White Chili which is on the Huntsville's 20 Tastes list and has been mentioned on the other thread linked above.
The Meatball Sandwich special of the day was just a good solid sandwich.

While the Bayou Hoaggie was fantastic.

Hopefully the business will be sold when the building's future is determined.

Well there you go. My visits to Rocket City in pictures.

DT

5 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5204
    Re:Huntsville in the Spring 2013/09/04 12:48:05 (permalink)
    Nicely done, Dav.  Will New Market make a brisket sandwich to order or does the customer get whatever's slapped on the bun?  It looks like yours had an ample amount of bark.

mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    Re:Huntsville in the Spring 2013/09/04 13:19:38 (permalink)
    Nice, thanks for sharing.
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Huntsville in the Spring 2013/09/04 13:44:05 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Nicely done, Dav.  Will New Market make a brisket sandwich to order or does the customer get whatever's slapped on the bun?  It looks like yours had an ample amount of bark.

I really have no idea. I'm sure if you ask and they aren't swamped they may. The sandwich was picked up for my BIL but when he got home he'd already eaten. So I pounced.

DT
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Huntsville in the Spring 2013/09/04 13:47:33 (permalink)
    Blog report for New Market BBQ: http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...bbq-new-market-al.html

DT
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Huntsville in the Spring 2013/09/04 13:54:05 (permalink)
    Blog post for Duffy's Deli: http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...amous-white-chili.html

DT
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1