Hush Puppies

Author
Danhx
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2003/05/01 15:38:47 (permalink)

Hush Puppies

They're simple and a tad cliche (thanks to Captain D's, that bastardizer of seafood), but i have to have some hugh puppies along with a big seafood meal. There's a place in Virginia that has some especially good ones, but i can't recall the name of the restaurant.

25 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Hush Puppies 2003/05/02 15:45:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Danhx

They're simple and a tad cliche (thanks to Captain D's, that bastardizer of seafood), but i have to have some hugh puppies along with a big seafood meal. There's a place in Virginia that has some especially good ones, but i can't recall the name of the restaurant.

In my opinion hush puppies have to have flavor. Most establishments sell them with a cornbread combination with a litle onions, garlic, etc. they have to have lotsa onions and garlic along with some bacon grease. They have to be served instantly after frying and have a good crust. I also put mexican corn, jalopenos, bell peppers, onions and dried onions in my mix.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul e. Smith
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hush Puppies 2003/05/02 15:52:22 (permalink)
    DUCK-IN. That's the name of the place in Va. Beach, VA. They do serve them right out of the fryer and the are very nicely seasoned.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Hush Puppies 2003/05/02 22:00:55 (permalink)
    Ok, This one will blow most folks clean out of the water ...
    I've duplicated it a few time on some campouts, namely fishfrys
    And I seen it orginally in a corner Restrauant in Marine City, Michigan
    Deep Fried Corn (on the Cob)
    they took an ear of corn, rolled it in HUSHPUPPY BATTER, (onions, garlic & red peppers) then dropped the whole ear in the frenchfrier.
    OUTCOME, HushPuppy encarsed ear of corn, Very hot and difficult to eat,
    when fresh out of the frier. Makes me want to go Fishin'
    Danhx
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hush Puppies 2003/05/03 10:13:07 (permalink)
    Put it on a stick and you could almost call it "that other corn dog" It sounds really good though, like a perfect midsummer side dish. I just might have to try it out at some point.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Hush Puppies 2003/05/03 16:36:01 (permalink)
    Haven't made any in years, and The more I think about 'em
    it would be a good Idea to dredge the ear of corn in some cornstarch
    just before dipping into the batter to assure that the covering sticks.
    Bring on the Cole Slaw and the Stringer full of Lake Perch
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Hush Puppies 2005/08/03 15:07:43 (permalink)
    I always thought hush puppies were served only in seafood places until I went to NC and discovered the best hush puppies were served in local BBQ joints.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Hush Puppies 2005/08/04 09:58:48 (permalink)
    The best hushpuppies that I have eaten are at Bridges BQ Lodge in Shelby, NC.. That is true, most of the barbecue places here in NC do serve hushpuppies along with the seafood places.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Hush Puppies 2005/08/04 17:20:12 (permalink)
    You are so right, Bridges BBQ Lodge has the best hush puppies.
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Hush Puppies 2005/08/06 09:01:29 (permalink)
    I use buttermilk in a prepared hushpuppy mix.makes a lighter puffier hushpuppy.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Hush Puppies 2005/11/01 11:05:30 (permalink)
    If your ever in Huntsville, AL, take the Grienbrier Exit of I-565 and go to the "old" Greinbrier not the one lcoated on the interstate. They have the best hushpuppie. They melt in your mouth. Dip them in their white sauce and you will think you are in heven.
    dpanagrosso
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Hush Puppies 2005/12/29 16:12:45 (permalink)
    I used to love the hush puppies served at Arthur Treachers. We used to have them in the Northeast, not sure how much of the rest of the country had this chain restaurant. They're few and far between these days. I've never been into fish, but I loved getting hush puppies with their Chicken & Chips.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Hush Puppies 2005/12/29 16:26:45 (permalink)
    Oh Wow!

I had forgotten that Arthur Treachers had hush puppies. I remembered the chicken & chips (and the chicken really wasn't bad) and the malt vinegar.

I loved hush puppies as a tiny child travelling in the South and then never had them again until my teens, at Treacher's. Not like a real fish camp's, but satisfied a craving.

Nowhere left in the Northeast I know of.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Hush Puppies 2006/09/11 11:00:12 (permalink)
    Willy's just outside of Colonial Beach Va. I had the best quiet dogs, (hushpuppies) I've ever eaten there a couple weeks ago.....the BBQ isn't bad either!!!
    pacman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Hush Puppies 2006/09/11 11:08:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Oh Wow!

I had forgotten that Arthur Treachers had hush puppies. I remembered the chicken & chips (and the chicken really wasn't bad) and the malt vinegar.

I loved hush puppies as a tiny child travelling in the South and then never had them again until my teens, at Treacher's. Not like a real fish camp's, but satisfied a craving.

Nowhere left in the Northeast I know of.

I guess this will have to qualify as the last "Northeast Location" ...They are still operating in Danville, PA at the intersection of Pa Route 54 and US Route 11.

Last one in PA. It seems that the operator/manager and staff are all one family. I give them tons of credit for keeping it going.

I love the Chicken, Hush Puppies and Crunch Pup's (Battered and deep fried all beef hot dog).

Dan
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10093
    RE: Hush Puppies 2006/12/08 14:29:21 (permalink)
    I have never been a fan of hushpuppies until this past weekend when I ate them at Hocutt's Barbecue in Moundsville, WV. They automatically come with the meal, but if you want honey butter or molasses butter to dip them in, it will set you back a quarter. Anyway, they were unlike the hushpuppies I have ever had anywhere else. They were crunchy, sweet and creamy and my buddy and I couldn't eat them fast enough. We would have gotten a second order, but there were so many things on the menu we wanted to try, we didn't dare. I did get an order to go and ate them for breakfast the next morning.

I still haven't made it to Bridges BBQ in Shelby, NC yet, but plan on going there soon. I am looking forward to seeing how they stack up against Hocutt's. By the way, the owner and cook at Hocutt's is also from NC....Raleigh to be exact.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Hush Puppies 2006/12/08 18:58:37 (permalink)
    The following recipe claims to be hushpuppies. But it is really corn pone. Leave out the garlic powder and brush with melted butter after frying for a true southern treat.

http://www.myhomecooking.net/mexican-food-recipes/hush-puppy-recipe.htm
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Hush Puppies 2006/12/09 05:32:06 (permalink)
    in high school, i worked for a mom-and-pop cafe that served really good hush puppies, what made them unique was that the egg whites were whipped seperately then folded into the batter. crispy outside, light and non-greasy inside but not enough onion for my taste :) but the basic idea was great.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Hush Puppies 2007/12/29 23:10:06 (permalink)
    Southern Kitchen in Dallas had perfect little cylinders, which I've never seen elsewhere. Every picture I see today has you use a spoon to toss a dollop of batter in the oil, I don't like that. The thin part overcooks, and the center is underdone. I wish I could figure out how they made those little tubes, maybe 3 inches long, and a little bigger in diameter than you're thumb.
    -Scott Lindgren
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Hush Puppies 2007/12/29 23:38:00 (permalink)
    Some pretty tasty hush puppies can be found at the BBQ joints I have visited in my area of the North Carolina Piedmont. 'Course we're close enough to Lexington too, and trips to the NC coast put us in the area to sample the Eastern NC style of BBQ.

It seems there are two styles: the skinnier version curled up in a coma shape about the size of your little finger and then the slightly plumper shape, more of a short pillow shape. As long as they are hot, not greasy, and have plenty of onion in them, I'll go for either. If you have never tried dipping your hush puppies in honey butter, you are in for a treat.

Cute kid story: my son used to call them "shoo dogs" when he was a little fella. He'll be 34 tomorrow.....sigh....where does the time go?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18276
    RE: Hush Puppies 2007/12/29 23:58:41 (permalink)
    The best hushpuppies I've ever tasted I had at Big Cedar Lodge on Table Rock Lake in Missouri. Onions, garlic and jalapenos. Oh, my, they were delicious.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hush Puppies 2007/12/30 00:19:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by salindgren

Southern Kitchen in Dallas had perfect little cylinders, which I've never seen elsewhere. Every picture I see today has you use a spoon to toss a dollop of batter in the oil, I don't like that. The thin part overcooks, and the center is underdone. I wish I could figure out how they made those little tubes, maybe 3 inches long, and a little bigger in diameter than you're thumb.
    -Scott Lindgren

Try using a pancake batter dispenser.
    waiterhell
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Hush Puppies 2007/12/30 05:48:14 (permalink)
    In Key Wierd we used to tell the tourists that the conch fritters were like "hushpuppies with some sea slug (the conch) mixed in..."

Bring on the Key Lime mustard sauce lol

Waiterhell
    20 miles from Lexington, NC (again....)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Hush Puppies 2007/12/30 06:50:11 (permalink)
    I stopped at Smithfield's BBQ and chicken in Raleigh, NC yesterday. I bought a BBQ sandwich and a chicken thigh. They served hushpuppies with the chicken. The hushpuppies were about the size of your little finger and had little or no onion in them. Personally, I did not care for them. The chicken thigh was very good and spicey. The pulled pork bbq sandwich was not one of my favorite types of BBQ.

http://www.smithfieldschicken.com/menu.php

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Hush Puppies 2007/12/30 08:48:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by waiterhell

In Key Wierd we used to tell the tourists that the conch fritters were like "hushpuppies with some sea slug (the conch) mixed in..."

Bring on the Key Lime mustard sauce lol

Waiterhell
    20 miles from Lexington, NC (again....)

Love a good hushpuppy but would prefer a good conch fritter any day of the week. We use to get them cooked fresh by the bag full down near the key west aquarium in the 60's. There was a place right next to a small shop where an old guy rolled fresh cigars. The aroma in that area was unbelievable.

tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    RE: Hush Puppies 2007/12/30 09:20:14 (permalink)
    Conch fritters....hmmmmm...one item sadly lacking in my area since the closing of Hey Mon in Greensboro years ago. I'd get the occasional craving now and then for their conch fritters with jerk sauce, sweet potato fries, jerk pork, and their slaw with pineapple and pecans. My mouth would actually water when I was driving near their location.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1