Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area

Author
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
2008/05/14 16:08:47 (permalink)

Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area

I used to go to this place in Bound Brook, NJ called Pompei's that used to make them. I loved them as a kid, but sadly that closed down years ago. I don't know off hand of any other places around that make them. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

15 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6202
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/14 16:14:05 (permalink)
    Hi, Had a similar thread months ago...result...no one knew any good places....sadly they're not a Northeast item...only place I know are Nathan's Hot dog places that also have the Arthur Treatcher's Fish line. They're ok..not like I remember them,however in the south!!
    fattybomatty
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/14 16:19:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Hi, Had a similar thread months ago...result...no one knew any good places....sadly they're not a Northeast item...only place I know are Nathan's Hot dog places that also have the Arthur Treatcher's Fish line. They're ok..not like I remember them,however in the south!!

haha...lee that's a shame. I love them when I was young. There was this cajun restaurant in basking ridge I believe that used to make them too, but they weren't as good and then the place closed down

Does anyone have a good hushpuppies recipe then? I'll tell my mom to start serving them at her store then so that at least there will be someplace in NJ that sells them
    doug_ua
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/14 16:34:30 (permalink)
    Brother Jimmy's in NYC (three locations)has great hushpuppies! Served with maple butter, yum!

http://www.brotherjimmys.com/menufood.aspx?location=1

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2392
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/15 00:54:48 (permalink)
    Hey fattybomatty,

Asides from Brother Jimmy's, I did a search and found 8 places in NYC (all in Manhattan except 1) that serve hushpuppies. I honestly can't tell you how they are as hushpuppies have never really been on my radar having not grown up with them. Here they are:

1. Blue Smoke
    2. R.U.B. BBQ
    3. The Hog Pit
    4. Virgil's
    5. Live Bait
    6. Mara's Homemade
    7. ACME Bar & Grill
    8. Bubby's Pie Co. (DUMBO)

I found the menu for al of these on www.menupages.com If you go there and click on "Barbecue" under cuisines, you'll find all of these with online menus. I really like the food at R.U.B. (especially the beans with burnt ends!) and Virgil's is pretty good too if you don't mind navigating the crowds in Times Square. Live Bait did not impress me at all. Mara's and ACME are have a definite Louisiana/New Orleans slant to them. I love Bubby's and the food is really good (especially the pies), however they are in a pretty trendy area so the prices are a bit high. A bonus though is that that particular Bubby's is mere steps from the Jacques Torres chocolate shop that Bruce and Sue so wonderfully reviewed here on RF and is also close to Grimaldi's pizza and the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. fwiw

If you really want the lowdown on hushpuppies in the tri-state area, may I suggest emailing Gary from www.pigtrip.net He's a serious (and I mean SERIOUS) cuehead, said with the utmost respect, and could probably guide you a good batch of hushpuppies. Do they have Long John Silver's where you love. Aren't they known for hushpuppies? I realize it's a chain, but I thought I'd heard somewhere that they are pretty good.

fattybomatty
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/15 06:32:46 (permalink)
    actually i don't think there are any long john silver's by me. Just like there are no sonics close to me. Thanks for these tips I'll have to check these places out
    fattybomatty
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/15 06:35:48 (permalink)
    Actually I also wanted to know what hushpuppies go well as a side order for. I know fish is popular, but what else? I used to get them on the side of a steak sandwich (not cheese steak, but real steak)
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6202
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/15 06:40:08 (permalink)
    Hot dogs,hamburgers...anything you'd have fies with...southern fried chicken...or just by themselves!!!!
    Big Frank
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/15 17:08:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fattybomatty

I used to go to this place in Bound Brook, NJ called Pompei's that used to make them. I loved them as a kid, but sadly that closed down years ago. I don't know off hand of any other places around that make them. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Prior to Pompei there was Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips at that location. My wife and I would go there for the Italian. The food was good and inexpensive. They also continued to have fish and chips on the menu. I assumed there was still some sort of contractual obligation to Arthur Treachers.
    fattybomatty
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/15 17:17:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Frank

quote:

Prior to Pompei there was Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips at that location. My wife and I would go there for the Italian. The food was good and inexpensive. They also continued to have fish and chips on the menu. I assumed there was still some sort of contractual obligation to Arthur Treachers.

I thought I was the only one that remembered this place. Were the hushpuppies as good as I remember them to be?
    Big Frank
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/05/15 20:22:59 (permalink)
    I really don't remember of the quality of the hush puppies at Arthur Treachers. The Arthur Treachers website shows they have a location at the Garden State Plaza in Paramus.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/08/18 23:22:02 (permalink)
    Oh, the Arthur Treachers hushpuppies are VERY dry.

I love the fish every once in a blue, but the pups, not so much.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5047
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/08/18 23:57:50 (permalink)
    When I was younger, Hushpuppies were something worn on your feet
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/08/20 17:05:24 (permalink)
    quote:

Actually I also wanted to know what hushpuppies go well as a side order for. I know fish is popular, but what else? I used to get them on the side of a steak sandwich (not cheese steak, but real steak)

Actually southern fried hushpuppies go good with anything and even by themself. I am not a fan of the NC style but the ones in Tennessee and the deep south include onions and some other spices and are round. Not that round has anything to do with it.

They are great with evening libation.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    fattybomatty
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/08/20 17:32:14 (permalink)
    Sundancer I know they are good I just wish there were some places around here that sold them. I never find them on menus
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Hushpuppies in the NJ/NYC metro area 2008/08/20 17:46:25 (permalink)
    Sundancer is right about the round ones being better - the reason is that a lot of places in the Carolinas have taken to a machine that craps those little turds out without the magic touch of the human hand.

Cheers, John
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1