The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hyman's in Charleston, S.C.

JeffN

• Total Posts: 9
Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Thu, 04/12/07 7:01 PM (permalink)
If you ever visit Charleston and don't dine at Hyman's, you'll be missing a tremendous seafood experience. It's probably the best I've ever had!

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
    RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Fri, 04/13/07 11:01 AM (permalink)
    I always enjoy Hyman's. I've always had great food and great service. The last time I was there I had the whole deep fried flounder. It was excellent.

I have seen many critical comments about Hyman's saying it's too "touristy". But I say that good food is good food.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
      RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Fri, 04/13/07 2:16 PM (permalink)
      Me too. We wouldn't dare go to Charleston and pass up a meal at Hyman's. When we went there a couple of years ago, one of the Hymans, a very nice, personable man, came up to our table to chat. It seems that we were at the table usually frequented by Charleston mayor Riley. Our name is Riley, too. So we had a good conversation and an even better meal. Try the crispy flounder, you won't be sorry.

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
        RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Fri, 04/13/07 2:43 PM (permalink)
        Great, great restaurant. Others on this board have previously eluded to the fact that it is primarily a tourist restaurant, and not where locals eat in town. That said, I'd still give it one of my highest recommendations. The only problem is the menu itself: it's overwhelming. I felt like I was in seafood heaven. The 2 times I've dined there was like paralysis by analysis: it took me over 20 minutes each time to decide what I wanted to order.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
          RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Sun, 04/15/07 9:07 AM (permalink)
          If the loacals arent eating there that ought to tell you something.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
            RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Sun, 04/15/07 10:54 AM (permalink)
            The locals know not to go right at mealtime. They go in the middle of the afternoon to avoid the lines.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
              RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Mon, 04/16/07 3:21 PM (permalink)
              Hyman's is very good. I prefer to eat in Mt. Pleasant at the Wreck but for fried seafood Hyman's can't be beat. I was introduced to the place by someone born in Charleston BTW. Almost a rare as someone born in Charlotte.

sellsfish

• Total Posts: 16
                RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Wed, 07/4/07 2:23 AM (permalink)
                jellybear hit this one on the head.......the locals that fish for a living don't go there. There if NO fresh fish, frozen and imported only. You may get local cluster oysters during the winter, but those will be the steamed ones, not the fried. And the Shrimp might be local during the season. If you are not paying $24.00 for a grouper or snapper plate, then you are not getting local fresh fish. 100% tourist fry house. this place is one step above captain D's. I have had friends and family ask why Hanks, Anson's or Peninsular Grill cost so much more than Hymans for the same kind of fish......the answer is simple, You get what you pay for!

Sorry to burst your bubble

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                  RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Thu, 07/5/07 8:23 AM (permalink)
                  From Hyman's website ....

"Since we order Seafood Fresh Daily, please excuse us if we are out of any one seafood item. We receive 6-11 deliveries per day every day to ensure freshness and a great selection."

So ... you're saying they are lying ?

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                    RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Thu, 07/5/07 8:50 AM (permalink)
                    I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt since they're on this list: http://www.scaquarium.org/conservation/ssi.html

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
                      RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Thu, 07/5/07 10:10 AM (permalink)
                      Ive always said Good Seafood is not cheap and cheap Seafood is not good.You would be surprised where that seafood on your plate comes from.

sellsfish

• Total Posts: 16
                        RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Fri, 07/6/07 6:55 PM (permalink)
                        I can get a delivery today from Sysco, or IFH of frozen Costa Rican Dolphin, of fresh frozen fillets of Grouper that were packed in Vietnam. Go to the local Whole Foods and look at the Market price for fresh fish. Whole Foods is the best barometer for local seafood. I think you will be hard pressed to see Grouper or Snapper or even local Swordfish under $18.00 per lb. There is no truth in menu law in SC! They can serve you fried Carp and tell you it is Red Snapper, and no law is broken.A lot of the fish they sell at Hymans is not even harvested locally....Hokie ? I have been fishing these waters 30 years and have never caught a Hokie.

The only thing that Sustainable seafood promtes is No Chilean Sea Bass, Orange Roughy, or Shark on the menu. I have worked hand in hand with the director of this program for the last 5 years. Ask anyone that keeps a commercial boat on Shem creek if the local fish ends up in Hymans.....NOT! Cheap is the name of the game. You could deep fry a flip flop, and the tourists would eat it and say it was the best they ever had.

westsidetommy

• Total Posts: 22
                          RE: Hyman's in Charleston, S.C. Tue, 08/28/07 5:22 PM (permalink)
                          We ate there last year and it was lousy.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com