I 95 Road Trip Report

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7900
2005/11/30 13:05:49 (permalink)

I 95 Road Trip Report

Well, I got back last night around 5:30pm and took today off before returning to reality (work) tommorow. I'm glad it's going to be a short week.

I'll be dividing my trip into three parts.

I left on Saturday the 19th for the first leg of my trip. This is the first big trip that my new car, a 2005 Camry was going to take. The plan was to head to Long Island. I would be staying over at my friend' Steve's house. In fact he and his wife just bought the house and it would be my first time visiting. I was going to head to Long Island and then we were going to drive to Di Fara's in Brooklyn. Steve has never been there before and the last time I was there was over 8 years ago.

Everything ran smoothly until I got onto the Cross Island. 90 minutes and a mile and a half later I found out that that there was construction and traffic was down to one lane. I decided to drive to Queens and then give Steve a call since I was already an hour late. At this point, we decided I would go on my own to Di Fara's and then get to Steve's house in the early evening.

After some more gridlock on the Belt Parkway I arrived in my old neighborhood of Midwood in Brooklyn. I parked my car and walked a couple of blocks to Di Fara's. I walked in and could not believe that there was a line practically out the door. I lived in this neighborhood for three years and there was never a line. Anyway, I ordered one square and one regular slice. 30 minutes later the Square slice was ready, but the regular slice wasn't. There was one lonely square slice left, so I decided on two square slices. Well, I sat down and was a little dissappointed. The Pizza simply didn't taste like it used to. The crust was burnt and to be honest the Pizza tasted like "burnt goo" The cheese was dripping everywhere. This was not the slice I remembered. Being a two man operation it seems that they cannot keep up with the demand and as a result the quality just simply wasn't up to par.

I headed back to Long Island and it was dark by the time I got to my friend's house. My friend, his wife and I decided to go for Chinese that evening. I suggested Eng's Restaurant in Bellmore. I used to frequent their now defunct takeout place in Merrick and had never been to the actual restaurant. I was wondering if it was going to be just as good. We each ordered an eggroll, Steve's wife ordered the vegetarian dumplings. I got the hot and sour soup and Steve and I shared an order of Moo Shoo Pork and Kung Pao Chicken. Steve's wife got something else for herself that wasn't quite as spicy. Well, everything was outstanding. I will say it again and if I sound egocentrical, then who cares. Chinese food in Metro NYC definetely puts out a superior product compared to the rest of the country. Hands down!

Sunday afternoon I decided to visit another friend on the Island. He and his wife just had a baby girl. Their first. After spending a couple of hours with them I headed back to Steve's place to get dressed for the wedding. Steve, his wife and I were all going. The wedding was typical Long Island, the food was typical too, nothing notable to report, other than that the bride to be is a Russian Jewish Immigrant who came to the US 10 years ago, therefore the wedding band was also Russian and played some Russian Music thrown in with "Wedding Band" and Jewish Traditional Music.

Monday I started out on the long drive towards South Beach. After some minor gridlock on the Belt Parkway near JFK Airport, traffic ran fairly smoothly into Baltimore. I was going to meet Signman at the Lexington Market in downtown Baltimore for lunch. I arrived a little early and walked around the market a bit. Although there was a decent selection of food stalls it wasn't quite as impressive as the Reading Terminal Market in Philly. While waiting I decided to order some Boardwalk Style Fries at the Dudley's Fries stand. Of course I added some Cider Vinegar and Old Bay to the fries. The fries were fresh cut but seemed to be just a slight notch below the fries from Chap's Pit Beef. Finally Signman arrived and he showed me around the market. Signman ordered a Shrimp Salad Sandwich at one of the other food stalls. We then walked over to Faidley's which is actually a Restaurant inside the market. I ordered a Jumbo Lump Crab Cake. Signman pointed out that Mark Silverstein from the Food Network's "the best of" was in the Restaurant. Honestly I never would have recognized him. Signman advised that he apparently lives in the area and apparently reports for the local newspaper or tv station. We both approached Mr Silverstein and engaged in some brief small talk. Anyway the jumbo lump crabcake was good, however it was about 1/2 the size of the cake at G & M's and was not quite as good. Well, I'm glad I got to try it anyway.

After lunch, Signman and I parted ways. It started to rain as I left Baltimore and rained all the way down to Goldsboro North Carolina, thankfully traffic continued to run smoothly. I got into Goldsboro at close to 6pm. I was going to meet my coworker from catastrophe duty and his wife at Wilbur's BBQ. Unfortunately he had to work late and works an hour away in Newburn. He was going to try to get in at around 8pm (Wilbur's closes at 9) however he called and advised he is running late. We agreed that I would eat at Wilburs on my own and then he would meet me at Wilburs and we would go out for a few drinks. Wilbur's was excellent as always, the smoky pork which compliments the vinegary and peppery sauce was outstanding. I ordered the boiled potatoes and coleslaw and hushpuppies (more like cornsticks) really add to the meal. I also ordered a small side of Brunswick Stew and Sweet Tea. For some reason although it was still good, it tasted a little different. I remember it having a thicker stew like consistency, it tasted almost more like a soup this time. My coworker and his wife arrived at Wilbur's at 8:45am. Too late for a meal there, so we ended up going to Chili's- yes a chain, however all I did was have a few beers.

The next morning on Tuesday, I continued on the next leg of my trip. I stopped at the Summerton Diner in South Carolina for lunch. I was dissapointed to find out that neither the baked chicken, mac and cheese or rutabaga were listed as "today's specials". Instead I had the veal cutlet, cabbage, black eyed peas and rice and gravy. The Veal Cutlet was hot and crisp and the gravy ladled on top of the Veal was delicious. The Black Eyed Peas were ok, the Cabbage was also delicious and the rice and gravy were nothing special. Pineapple pudding came with the meal as dessert. Although I was hoping for Banana Pudding, it was actually pretty good.

I continued on with my trip into Jacksonville Florida. I was going to meet my Sister in Law and 6 year old Nephew at Clark's Fish Camp.
I arrived early and to say the least, the Restaurant has a quaint "swampy atmosphere. Situated right on the river, there were stuffed animal heads everywhere. I ordered the Fried Jumbo Shrimp which came with two sides and hushpuppies. I chose the Green Beans and Cheese Grits. I also ordered unsweetened Iced Tea. My sister in law ordered the Stuffed Flounder with Yellow Rice and Green Beans. The shrimp was plump and crispy. Even the Green beans were good. My sister in law recommened the Peach Cobbler for dessert, however I really didn't want to over do it with dessert on this trip so I declined. After dinner I drove to St Augustine and took a brisque evening stroll around Old town before turning in.

more later

27 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/11/30 13:17:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report...I will look for the next installment! It makes me feel like I went somewhere, even though I have been here chained to my desk.
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/11/30 13:35:05 (permalink)
    WJ Great report eagerly awaiting part two.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/11/30 13:44:52 (permalink)
    Thanks, WJ, I haven't traveled much lately so I enjoy when someone writes a report. Looking forward to the remainder!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18655
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/11/30 14:03:01 (permalink)
    WJ went to Chili's. WJ went to Chili's. WJ went to Chili's.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/11/30 15:25:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I think he only had a beer so we will let him off the hook this time if he did not sneak a bite from his friends plate.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/11/30 17:27:22 (permalink)
    Good report :-), thankee
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/11/30 17:32:51 (permalink)
    You are making me hungry!!!! Good job. You make it easy to read with the spacing, too. I am jealous.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/11/30 23:39:40 (permalink)
    Great report as always, WJ.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/01 10:04:23 (permalink)
    WJ, I'm glad we were able to get together for a brief visit and some good eatin'. I hope you fared a little better than I did after our visit to Lexington Market. I carried away that cooking oil smell on my clothes. I stayed a little longer after we met, so hopefully you did not pick it up and overpower that wonderful new car smell.

This past Saturday I had the good fortune to be in Philly for lunch, so visited Reading Terminal for a DiNic's pork sandwich with greens and sharp provolone. It was only after consuming said sandwich that I noticed the beautiful looking brisket that they have just started offering. There were big signs advertising it's availablitly, but it was only when I walked around the side of the stand that I actually saw the meat on the cutting board. Then it was off the the Northeast for a cheesesteak at Steve's. Even my hard to impress friend with me said how good it was. And for me the chocolate soda really seals the deal.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/01 11:02:46 (permalink)
    WJ
    I always look forward to your "Roadfood-a-logues". I write down your recommendations for reference when I'm on the road. Wilber's and G&M are 2 of my don't miss favorites anytime I'm within 50 miles, and I just note to try "Clarks Fish Camp" when I pass through Jacksonville in a couple of weeks.

Keep traveling and bringing us along!
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/01 13:23:17 (permalink)
    Yummmm!!! Excellent report, WJ. Am most anxious to get the rest of the Florida portion of your report.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/01 16:44:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I think he only had a beer so we will let him off the hook this time if he did not sneak a bite from his friends plate.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Chili's has good chips and salsa and ice cold beer. I'd forgive him even if he snuck some food.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/01 20:27:32 (permalink)
    And now for part II of the I 95 Saga- MIAMI

However before I start, I have to correct myself, we went to Ruby Tuesday's in Goldsboro, not Chili's and no I didn't pick at anyone's food, I was already stuffed from Wilburs. Sadly not a great beer selection. I had to settle for Michelob Amber Boch

Anyway, I left St Augustine at around 8:15 AM, it was only 44 degrees and I was concerned that it may be on the chilly side in Miami. Well, I arrived in South Beach a little after 12:30 PM and the temperature gauge in my car indicated that it was 72 degrees outside. What a difference!
    My first stop was Tap Tap, South Beach's only Haitian Restaurant. This was truly the first stand out on the trip (the second and last will be in the third installment) I began with the pumpkin soup and man was it delicious it was almost like a bisque and had chunks of pumpkin and pasta noodles. Hot Fresh bread came with the meal. I ordered the Conch Creole which comes with beans and rice and plaintains, for a little extra i substituted the spinach in coconut sauce for the beans and rice which was a wise decision as it was quite tasty. The Conch was served in a piquant spicy sauce. A very spicy cabbage slaw was also served with the meal. The plantains which were more like "little plaintain discs" were tasteless, the only disappointment during this meal. They served a ginger iced tea which sounded interesting but it was pre sweetened so I got a diet coke instead. The whole meal (gratuity was automatically added) was $20. Apparently this is a common custom in South Beach.

After strolling around Collins Avenue, Espanola Way and Lincoln Mall, I discovered that the local coffee house on Lincoln Mall I went to on my last trip in 2002 had been whored out to Starbucks. In fact there are now two Starbucks on Lincoln Mall. In fact I found out that the only coffee houses left in South Beach (not cafes!) are Starbucks, Starbucks, Starbucks, Starbucks and Starbucks.I did stop at the Clevelander for a Pina Colada, not the frozen pre mixed kind. Sadly this was the only Pina Colada I had during my stay in Miami. That evening I went to Joe's Stone Crab. The last time I was there in 2002 I shelled out over $100 for one meal- I decided I wasn't going to do that this time. Instead of the Jumbo Stone Crabs I went for the large. I also only had one gin and tonic instead of two. And instead of two sides which I could never finish anyway, I went for one, the garlic creamed spinach. Of course the meal started out with the assorted bread tray. I only had two pieces of bread, the raisin bread and the pumpernickel roll. The Large stone crab legs had certainly enough adequate meat. The sweet mustard sauce definetely complimented the sweet meat. For desert, and yes, I cannot leave Miami without at least once slice of Key Lime Pie it was truly the icing on the cake (no pun intended) with tax and tip- $87.00! Obviously the most expensive meal on this trip by a long shot.
    In the evening I strolled Ocean Drive, Collins and Washington Avenue. Checked out a bar on Ocean Drive called mangos. Knocked back a few Coronas and listened to the house reggae band.

The next day thanksgiving after a morning on the beach, my friend's husband was nice enough to pick me up (I left my car in the municipal parking garage on the entire trip) and take me north to Hollywood for a Thanksgiving meal. Thanskgiving dinner which was actually served early (3PM) was well...typical. Nothing notable to report. In fact I really didn't eat a whole lot, I think I was still full from the excellent two meals I had the day before. It was nice to see Jessica, it's been a few years since we've seen eachother.

My friend dropped me off in South Beach at around 8pm. I was actually a little hungry. I decided to go to Puerto Sagua. I had been there at least 2 or 3 times before for breakfast and didn't realize it, I just called it "one of those Cuban Restaurants on Collins Avenue" well, now it has a name. I decided to get a Cuban Sandwich. They came in two sizes, regular and large. I ordered the regular and well, I can only imagine how large the large is because this was pretty big. The compressed bread was served warm and game with roast pork, ham, melted swiss, mustard and pickels and man it really hit the spot. Afterwards I returned to Mangos on Ocean drive to knock down a few more Coronas and listen to that same house reggae band. Oh, the girls in the skimpy skin tight outfits dancing on the bars- how could i forget that?

Friday was my last full day in Miami. I spent the entire morning on the beach listening to my Bob Marley CD and I even got into some of the carribean salsa music stations which apparently appears to be every other radio station in Miami. Around noontime I headed back to Puerto Sagua. The special looked very tempting. Either the roast chicken or the Picadillo. I decided to go with the Picadillo since my last experience with Picadillo at the Latin American Cafeteria at Bayside three years earlier was quite dissapointing. (Actually just about every meal I had in Miami three years earlier was dissapointing) The Picadillo came with Black Beans Yellow Rice and Fried Sweet Plantains, along with hot fresh Cuban bread. The meal came, the portions were gigantic. The Black Beans came in a separate cup. The whole meal was fantastic, the fried plantains were superb, nothing like the dissapointing discs served at Tap Tap. After lunch I decided to take the bus into downtown Miami. From there I took the light rail to Coral Gables. The miracle mile is just over a mile walk from the Train Station. I strolled down the 1/2 mile boulevard of shops and restaurants. Although the architecture and layout was interesting, the shops were mostly fashion and wedding related and were therefore a little dissapointing. I did stop at a gelato shop for a Pina Colada gelato. I walked back to the train station and took the train back to downtown. It was 5pm at that point. I decided to take the bus to Aventura and head to Mo's Bagel and Deli. The bus ride which goes through some less than desirable areas of Miami took about an hour and a half. The bus did go through little Haiti which I would have wanted to check out during the day had I had more time. The bus arrived at aventura mall and I realized that the walk to Mo's was going to be at least a mile. I finally arrived at Mo's after almost killing myself in attempt to dodge black friday mall traffic on Biscayne Boulevard. I walked in and the place was packed. I was definetely the youngest person there and with the exception of a middle age couple and their kids, everyone else there was over the age of 70. I decided to order the Stuffed Cabbage Dinner. Although my last experience with Polish stuffed cabbage in Cleveland last month was memorable, my last experience with Stuffed Cabbage at a Kosher Style Deli (Jerry's in South Beach...again three years earlier) was a disaster. The meal came with a mini challah roll and other assorted breads, it also came with soup and two sides. I got the Matzoh Ball Soup and the Creamed Spinach and Kasha Varnishkes. The Soup was a little plain, adding pepper seemed to do it some justice. After the soup the meal arrived. The Stuffed Cabbage came in a large crock on the plate along with two small bowls for the creamed spinach and kasha. Not only were the portions big, but the Stuffed cabbage was absolutely delicious and so was the kasha. The spinach was so so, but that's probably because I was comparing it to the garlic creamed spinach from the night before. This was a meal I simply could not finish. Not because the food wasn't good, but because the portions were gigantic. It's very rare that I can say something like that. Of course desert was out of the question. After dinner I waddled back to Aventura mall, thankfully traffic was a little lighter. I took the bus directly back to South Beach and waddled back to my hotel. I didn't go out that night, because I was leaving early the next morning to begin my trip to head back north.

Part three and the final installment on another day.

carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/01 21:57:11 (permalink)
    WJ, another well written report. I have to say South Beach is not a favorite spot of mine, too trendy & touristy. Might as well be at the mall. I like North Beach much better, less crowded, some excellent restaurants too. Should definitely check out Little Haiti, Little Havana as well, though probably best to do both in the daytime.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/01 22:07:11 (permalink)

However before I start, I have to correct myself, we went to Ruby Tuesday's in Goldsboro, not Chili's and no I didn't pick at anyone's food

[|)][|)][|)]

Isn't this the "famous" WJ response when anyone mentions going to a chain restaurant?? I think it is.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/02 02:33:29 (permalink)
    Wj, the Haitian food sounds delicious. Sounds like you ate well and had a lot of adventures. I can hardly wait for part 3!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/02 07:22:07 (permalink)
    WJ - on your way back try to stop in Brunswick, GA at either Willies WEE-NEE Wagon or Norman's Eat and Run for a roadfood experience. Both are on Altama Ave. off I-95.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/04 13:27:47 (permalink)
    Part III - Savannah and the last leg.

I left South Beach last Saturday Morning after gassing up my Camry. After a 3 1/2 hour drive I ended up at Dixie CrossRoads in Titusville a little before noon and met up with Stevekoe for lunch. This was the first time we met and we discussed many things including Florida, Long Island, Roadfood, our careers, women, travel etc. Stevekoe also warned me about the huge servings at the Crabshack in Tybee Island where I was going to have dinner the next day. Anyway I knew I was going to order the Steamed Rock Shrimp, Stevekoe recommended that 2 dozen should do the trick. The meal came with two sides along with very addicting corn fritters. I chose the shrimp soup and Chicken flavored rice as my sides. The Shrimp soup was more or less a chicken stock based soup chock full of shrimp and the chicken flavored rice was just that,however the rock shrimp came lined up, already split and just needed a tug or two with the cocktail fork provided. The shrimp was very sweet and almost tasted like lobster, it really didn't need the drawn butter which was provided with the meal. I believe Stevekoe got the same thing, however I believe he ordered the french fries instead of the rice.

After lunch and parting ways with Stevekoe, I drove the three hour distance to the Georgia Pig, I stopped at the Georgia Welcome center on the way up to chill out since I was still not hungry from my big lunch. I arrived at the Georgia pig at around 5pm. Now I know I've been warned by others (Paul) of possible discrimination/bigotry, however I'm the type of person who has to see things for themselves. Imagine to my chagrin when I was approaching the wooden shack and there was an Asian American family happily eating their Q on at one of the outside picnic tables and as I entered into the wooden shack I was greeted by the African American gentleman behind the counter who told me that they had just enough pork for one sandwich due to the busy day they had due to the holiday. Well, I ordered the pork sandwich, with sides of Coleslaw and Brunswick stew and Sweet tea. I thought about dessert but they were all out. The Q was ok, I liked the tomato based sauce but thought that the meat could be a little smokier. I thought the brunswick stew was really good and the sweet tea wasn't all too sweet which to me is a good thing.

I arrived in Savannah just before 7pm. I checked into my hotel which was right on River/Bay Street and parked about a quarter of a mile from the hotel on Oglethorpe. As I walked the historical streets of Savannah I noticed a local coffee house right on bull Street, perfect for tommorow's breakfast. I decided to take a stroll down River Street that evening perousing the souvenir shops and taking in a live blues band and some local beer at one of the bars.

The next morning after breakfast I drove to Tybee Island to the Tybee Island lighthouse and museum, toured the museum, climbed the 173 steps to the light house and enjoyed the views of the ocean. I then drove to the beach and took a brief stroll.

I arrived back in Savannah just in time for lunch. I went to Lady and Sons, walked right in and sat at the bar without a wait, although it was crowded considering it was just before noon. I asked for a glass of sweet tea from Morgan the bartender. She later gave us an acapella serenade of a Jazz tune to which everyone applauded. I went to the buffet line, and loaded up my plate with Creamed Corn, Eggplant Casserole, Collared Greens and Mac N Cheese. They were out of fried chicken. I patiently waited for about 10 minutes when the chicken arrived hot and fresh. I grabbed a breast and a leg and sat back down at the bar. The meal was fantastic however, the collareds were barely luke warm probably from sitting on my plate while I was waiting for the chicken. The fried chicken was some of the best and so was the mac n cheese. The eggplant casserole was delicious. I took one sip of the sweet tea and almost spit it out. It was sickenly sweet, my only criticism. I finished the meal with some peach cobbler for desert. Truly the second and last highlight meal of the trip.

After lunch I walked around the city market area and then headed back to my hotel. It started to rain for about 1/2 hour or so. I decided to purchase a ticket for the one hour riverboat tour of the Savannah River. The tour was informative and relaxing and it had stopped raining. After the tour I took a house tour, the tour guide freaked me out, he was quite bizarre to say the least.
    After walking back to my hotel I headed back to Tybee Island later that evening and went to the Crabshack and ordered the Shell Fish feast which came with corn on the cob, potatoes and sausage. The feast was truly that a hodge podge of shrimp, mussells, crawfish, crablegs, and stone crabs. Yes it was huge, but guess what I ate all the shellfish, I just left some potatoes and sausage over. The entire meal with a glass of unsweetened iced tea was $31 with tax and tip, the second most expensive meal on the trip. After dinner I headed back to Savannah and had a couple of microbrews at the moon river brewing company across the street from my hotel.

On Monday I decided to go the Savannah history museum before heading back north. It was then a short two hour drive to Santee South Carolina where I went to Maurice's BBQ for lunch. Yes I know Maurice Bessinger is a silly old man, I couldn't care less about his politics or politics in general for that matter, however all the South Carolina Q restaurants are closed on Mondays and I wanted South Carolina Q, even if it wasn't as good as Dukes which I went to three years earlier (I really wanted to go to Sweatman's but they are only opened Friday and Saturday) I orded the big pig combo platter which came with pork q, ribs, rice and hash, hushpuppies, slaw and a roll. The bbq was ok, I do like their rice and hash though, I laughed at the display of books and literature in the lobby as I left.[|)]

I arrived in Richmond at around 5pm. I was now exhausted, and could no longer walk like I did (due to two blisters I had on both feet) from all the walking I did. I had a hankering for spoon bread. I called Glenns' Tavern to see if they had any (like the website advertised) they didn't, so I headed to old reliable Freckles Restaurant in the libby grove neighborhood. I ordered the Fried Chicken dinner (four pieces) along with a side of Green Beans, home made potato salad, spoon bread and sweet tea. The fried chicken and spoon bread was good, the green beans tasted like it came from a can and I didn't like the Potato Salad. It had raw onion in it which I felt just didn't belong. I should have gotten the fried okra instead. I was hoping they would have banana pudding for dessert, however this time it was blackberry cobbler, peach cobbler, and chocolate bund't cake I wasn't interested in either so no dessert for me, which was probably a good thing.

The next morning I left Richmond bright and early at 6:30 am for the last day of my roadtrip. I arrived at St Mary's Landing in Charlotte Hall Maryland just before 8:30 AM. I ordered the Charlotte Hall Breakfast which include eggs, choice of bread, homefries or potato cakes and the star of the meal, stuffed ham. I chose homefries (although I probably should have gone with the potato cakes) and whole grain toast. The Stuffed ham which is corned and stuffed with kale, cabbage and onions was absolutely delicious. I head back towards the interstate and before arriving at Gaetano's in Mt Laurel New Jersey just before noon, I gave Cheesewit a call. Sadly, he was unable to make it. And I thought I was getting a free cheesesteak!
    I ordered the whizz steak with fried onions. And as usual I ordered the small instead of the mini. Yes, a small, is gigantic. Of course it's probably the best and biggest cheesesteak around loaded with meat and dripping whizz and the best crusty bread perfect for a large sandwich but I couldn't finish it. It was just too big.

I left around 12:30 pm dreading the traffic especially on the Connecticut Tpke, but there wasn't any. I was back in Rhode Island a little after 4:30 pm.

The end
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/04 16:01:18 (permalink)
    Your Savannah adventures sound wonderful. I am glad you and Mr. Koe were able to meet and talk. I have been excited about the meetings bteween roadfooders that have been occuring and the good meals experienced as a result. Again thanks for the report.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/07 10:23:06 (permalink)
    I would recommend sending a bill to Cheesewit for your cheesesteak :-) He did promise he'd buy, afte all :-)
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/07 10:26:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

...After the (riverboat) tour I took a house tour, the tour guide freaked me out, he was quite bizarre to say the least.

I want to know about the tour guide.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/07 10:31:05 (permalink)
    So do I.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/07 10:49:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tsores

quote:

...After the (riverboat) tour I took a house tour, the tour guide freaked me out, he was quite bizarre to say the least.

The tour guide was a young guy. In trying to describe him, picture a combination of Jerry Lewis' version of the nutty professor, Damon Wayans' character "handy man" on In Living Color and Ralph Wiggum on the Simpsons.
    tybeeguy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/07 12:24:55 (permalink)
    WJ, Thanks for the reviews. Sounds like a real "roadtrip" to me. I was especially glad to hear the positive review on Lady and Sons. I have seen several negative posts on them recently , but my experiences have always been very postive. Thanks again, really enjoyed your articles.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/07 12:41:52 (permalink)
    quote:

After lunch and parting ways with Stevekoe, I drove the three hour distance to the Georgia Pig, I stopped at the Georgia Welcome center on the way up to chill out since I was still not hungry from my big lunch. I arrived at the Georgia pig at around 5pm. Now I know I've been warned by others (Paul) of possible discrimination/bigotry, however I'm the type of person who has to see things for themselves. Imagine to my chagrin when I was approaching the wooden shack and there was an Asian American family happily eating their Q on at one of the outside picnic tables and as I entered into the wooden shack I was greeted by the African American gentleman behind the counter who told me that they had just enough pork for one sandwich due to the busy day they had due to the holiday. Well, I ordered the pork sandwich, with sides of Coleslaw and Brunswick stew and Sweet tea. I thought about dessert but they were all out. The Q was ok, I liked the tomato based sauce but thought that the meat could be a little smokier. I thought the brunswick stew was really good and the sweet tea wasn't all too sweet which to me is a good thing.

Thanks again for the reports. My experiences at the GA-Pig had always been good, so I was surprised (and a bit disappointed) to read of problems others had...glad to see you had a good experience. It is a convenient stop, and the food has always been good, as was the service. Strange how experiences can be so varied at the same place.

tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/07 15:39:31 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by tsores

quote:

The tour guide was a young guy. In trying to describe him, picture a combination of Jerry Lewis' version of the nutty professor, Damon Wayans' character "handy man" on In Living Color and Ralph Wiggum on the Simpsons.

Yikes!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: I 95 Road Trip Report 2005/12/07 16:20:22 (permalink)

WJ-
    Thanks for the report. Good coverage to a number of places.
    RE- Lady and Sons, We really enjoyed a good meal there last Fall with Poverty Pete. It was busy but we got a table on the third floor almost as fast as we could get up there.(no wait) we didn't buffet, but ordered seafood off the menu and were pleased with the outcome and especially the Hoe-Cakes on the side. I am looking forward to a review of Paula's Brother's seafood place "Bubba's". She has plugged it for quite a while on her regular TV show.

ADD- You went to the Moon river Microbrewery....We enjoyed some of the freshest and best broiled oysters we've ever had at the Moon River the afternoon we stopped there before our Dinner at Paula's. Their 4 Beer Sampler with 3 dozen Oysters made a great lead into a fine dinner experience

RE- The GA PIG- We tried 3 times in two years (2003&2004) and found the BBQ good (not great) but the lady at the counter so offensive as to set us off big-time. For us it wasn't any discrimination or racial bias...she was just plain rude and nasty with every word she said to us and to the guy who was working the pit and cutting the meat. He seemed the ultimate in patience (or P W) in dealing with her. When I tried to speak directly with him about cooking times and 'style' she interupted and told me not to bother the 'kitchen help'. We won't go back to the GA PIG until I read somewhere of her Obituary.

Now, Conserve your resources so you can join us in February! All of you should focus on this event....Lleechef, Bushie, Wandering Jew, Seafarer John, Pogophile, Sundancer, and a host of others will be at this session. Your Honorable Mayor will be flitting from table to table like Henry Kissinger trying to maining the Balance of Power in this group !! We need a good...or at least a moderate...Priest of some sort to come up from the Louisiana Bayou's to bless this bunch (RICK...Are you Listening?)

Can you guys imagine what the write-up of this coming Road-trip will read like...25 totally unrelated trip-reports... Rhode island to Kentucky-Florida to Kentucky to New York- Austin to Kentucky-Knoxville to Owensboro- Atlanta to Kentucky and then there are those like the Mayor,2 Bobs ,the Pappy's, etc who can make a day trip out of it.... Each a volume in itself! Luckily the BBQ is really good, and the buffet totally 'Bottomless' so all factions can pick their special items for review!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1