Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

I always hated school cafeteria food...

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 4 of 7, messages 91 to 120 of 193
Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/20/06 12:15 PM (permalink)
I went to elementary school before school lunches were required by law. If you lived close you were required to go home (and if your Mother worked you were ashamed), if not you brought. So I though school lunch was totally cool when I hit junior high.

I do remember the spice cake with the white icing. Ours was actually a spiced tomato soup cake. I also enjoyed the permanent typos. "Chiefs Salad," served almost every day, was an aluminum tray of celery sticks slathered with government surplus peanut butter. Bread and butter sandwiches (made with surplus oleo) were also an almost daily side dish.

Most of the food was poor-to-gadawful. But for years I would get an occasional yen for American Chop Suey.

Without making the connection, when I read a recipe for "Dunbar Mac & Beef" in Gourmet several years back I immediately had to make it. My Wife and I tasted it and it was good, but something was odd. I suddenly realized it was like a grown-up version of the American Chop Suey from school. Ever since then I add a red or green pepper to the onion saute to complete the effect. Here's the link. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107745

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/20/06 1:00 PM (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I really didn't like the school food. Once the principal, who sheriffed the lunch room, came by and noticed that
    I hadn't eaten much. There were apricots on my plate. He insisted I eat them. I was just in the first grade and
    very fearful of him. I ate them, with him perching over behind me. I ate them and then threw them up. He never
    made me eat anything else again.
    There were a few good things about elementary school meals. They made the best rolls I have even eaten, and white beans.
    At Thanksgiving and Christmas, we had good meals of turkey with a light gravy that was so good with the rolls.
    The meals cost 25 cents. After lunch, we could buy different ice cream products.
    By high school, the price rose to 50 and then 75 cents. This was the late 60's and early 70's. The food, well, I never
    ate at high school. I saved my lunch money for cigarettes. It was weird. Elementary school, they made sure you ate.
    High school, we had a freedom that allowed us to do what we wanted to do in that time. Most people ate, but a small
    minority sat in the hall around the lunchroom, studying or just chatting. Some of us went out to the smoking area,
    a place outside of the building, where they had a contained pit, (I am not explaining it well) that they burnt trash and boxes
    etc.. We, smokers, gathered there instead of eating. We were a strange group...rednecks, hippies, homosexuals, nerds, and
    who knows whatever label I can't come up with...humanity. We didn't eat food, but consumed a buffet of life.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/20/06 1:11 PM (permalink)
      this will really show my age but how about 3 cent containers of milk and then in jr high 10 cents for and apple from the apple/orange machine which was a new big deal then. and friday was fish day in those pre PC days.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
        RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/20/06 1:40 PM (permalink)
        Hello All,
        pmrkr2, I remember fish days on friday. I just ate the big lump of hard potato because I hate fish.
        I think I hate fish because of those smelly school fridays. By the way, I live in a place that was
        mostly mennonite, brethren, and methodists, but we still had fish fridays.
        Take Care,
        Fieldthistle

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
          RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/20/06 2:22 PM (permalink)
          I lived for fried chicken day and cinnamon roll day. Man were those cinnamon rolls GOOD!!!! And the special days when we could have chocolate milk were heaven. I also liked the peanut butter bars with the chocolate frosting. The ladies in my schools were just excellent yeast dough bakers! (Rolls & cinnamon buns!)

High School was more choice, but I usually went with the hot line or a salad with the bright orange French dressing. I would eat most everything except the actual "hamburger" patty, those days, I'd just eat the bun with mustard & ketchup. I would also trade the pizza, but most of my peers thought it was a treat.

Wish I could get another one of those cinnamon rolls...

And I still like peanut butter sandwiches with chili or vegetable soup to this day!
          Alice

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
            RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/20/06 3:13 PM (permalink)
            Ha Ha, I cant remember school cafeteria food!
            I grew up in the late 50's/60's and me thinks it was a little hazy at times..

In high school, we had the option of going off campus for lunch, and it was usually Burger King or Royal Castle..
            Had one of the first ones in Miami right down the street from us.
            hmmmmmmmmmm

Big Dave

• Total Posts: 142
              RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 01/24/06 10:48 PM (permalink)
              Warren, OH had a closed lunch during my time there. The food was so bad. Nothing was good. It was overpriced. The elementary schools had pre packaged hot and cold lunches. The portions would have left a fly starving. The cold portion usually had fruit of some kind, bread and some kind of sweet item. The spork and napkin came in the package. The pizza was absolutely disgusting. I would eat Pizza Hut before I would eat that drek again. The food was pre-prepared at the central kitchen (not unlike Howard Johnson's was).

The jr. High and HS were true cafeterias. The food was just as bad. There were rumors that the hamburger was actually horsemeat (I believe illegal on Ohio). There were others, but they escape me as of this writing. I think the only reason for closed lunch was because the cafeteria would have gone bankrupt. In all honesty, the good memories of my school days in Warren, OH can be counted on one hand, and I would have digits left over.

Without going too much off topic, what about college/university food (the in-house places, as opposed to the fast food franchises).

tjr

• Total Posts: 136
                RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Thu, 01/26/06 1:13 AM (permalink)
                Our "favorite" in elementary school, out of many very eligible choices, was "hairless wonder". It was made by simmering raw soy-enhanced hamburger with raw rice and some nameless vegetables into a grey grainy mush, then toppping with chow mein noodles. The name came about because nearly every serving seemed to include a hair.

As to college food, at UW in the late 70's, dorm dwellers had included in their dorm fees meal plans where they got a bunch of $10 meal tickets for like $7 apiece. Towards the end of semesters they'd always have a bunch left so they'd sell 'em for like $2 or $3. We apartmentites would load up and then head to the dorm snack bars for cheapo shrimp. At the end of the fall semester there was the added attraction of a post-shrimp-dinner tray ride behind Liz Waters.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                  RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Thu, 01/26/06 5:49 AM (permalink)
                  Due to the school caf it's what turned me in to a real roadfoodie. The fare or offerings they served there I wouldn't serve at a soup kitchen. It was'nt the staffs fault who had been there since the Roosevelt administration {Teddy that is} they just got stale along with the menu selections. Fortunately my school or as my farther refered to it the seen of the crime was located right in the downtown area walking distance to many great dinning options. One of my favorites was the Waldorf cafeteria, cheap money, great selection, fast, A blue plate special every day. Why did they call it a blue plate anyway? The best part it was right above the Pool Room got a chance to shoot a quick rack {a great calculis lesson} cost at the time was 1 cent a minnute cheap enough. Also on occasion had the chance to partake in the old and ancient art of fisticuffs. As you can tell this also caused me to skip a great many of my english classes. Chow Jim

Sundancer7

RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Thu, 01/26/06 6:50 AM (permalink)
                    I guess I was fortunate as my elementary schoool, high school and college food was excellent. Perhaps I was not choosey enough but it always tasted good. Agreed that some of the selections were better than others but to this day, I still recall some of the excellent food served.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/27/06 3:05 AM (permalink)
                      what was really awful at my school was hamburger day. man those were nasty suckers, yechhhh awful.

tjr

• Total Posts: 136
                        RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/27/06 3:14 PM (permalink)
                        Paul, I've heard that school food in the South was quite a bit better than in the North.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                          RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Fri, 01/27/06 4:06 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by tjr

Paul, I've heard that school food in the South was quite a bit better than in the North.
                          Yup those southern cooks could make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Chow Jim

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                            RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Sun, 03/5/06 4:35 PM (permalink)
                            elementry school in the 60's,best things in the cafeteria were steamed hot dogs & buns,tater tots,and square pizza slices.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
                              RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Sun, 03/5/06 4:42 PM (permalink)
                              My last year having cafeteria food was in the 4th grade in Ft Ord California and have no memories of the food just the day they came in and said the President has been shot in Dallas. Not a good day.

candlewood

• Total Posts: 1
                                RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 08/20/07 10:15 PM (permalink)
                                One of my favorite childhood memories - the school cafeteria. The best food I remember then and now even.

Cinnamon Rolls to die for. They don't come close to them these days.
                                Grilled cheese sandwiches. They don't make them like they used to
                                in the 60's
                                Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes.
                                Hamburger patty over mashed potatoes with gravy.
                                Huge homemade chocolate cookies. They don't make them at all anymore.
                                Fish sticks with tartar sauce. Chocolatle pudding with that tiny dollop of whipped cream.

They WERE hot lunch back then. Now it's just fast food and it does not even come close.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                                  RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 08/20/07 11:07 PM (permalink)
                                  I don't remember much about grade school lunches anymore. I remember that we had fish sticks on Fridays, square pizza which had too much crust and not enough cheese and was really bland. Turkey ala king always made the post holiday menu and probably the best thing I can recall about grade school cafeterias. In High School we had an open campus. All of my friends would go to the fast-food joints but I used to go to the bowling ally grill and get a great burger for less than the other guys. And I would sometimes skip my next class (P.E.) to bowl a few games. Those were the days!!!

David O.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                                    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 08/20/07 11:19 PM (permalink)
                                    I loved the apple crisp. When they served it , I would buy my lunch at school. Other than that, We could leave the grounds and I would go to the corner pizzeria or one of the lunch wagons.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                      RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 08/20/07 11:33 PM (permalink)
                                      Wow! This topic go's back to before I was "roadfoodie".
                                      Ya, I couldn't wait to race downstairs when the bell rang ending the period before lunch. I was starving and I couldn't wait to get to the cafeteria.
                                      My favorite lunch: Sausages and gravy over mashed potatos. I probably would turn my nose up now at that lunch but when I was in high school, I never ate breakfast. Not that I didn't want breakfast, it's just that I always slept as late as possible and didn't have time to eat breakfast.

unabashed

• Total Posts: 435
                                        RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 2:00 AM (permalink)
                                        p/b/j and bowl of chili still one of my favorite combos , cept cold beer instead of milk.
                                        ron

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 2:03 AM (permalink)
                                          I always packed a lunch and then traded my lunch for somebody's school lunch.

Pizza on Thursday
                                          Fish on Friday
                                          Chili on Wednesday during the winter

My son will only eat at school when they are serving

#1 Pizza
                                          #2 Chicken Nuggets

The rest of the time it is a bologna lunchable

lostnthemail

• Total Posts: 427
                                            RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 6:35 AM (permalink)
                                            Loved the rolls and the English peas. Peas were cooked to a tender mush & I think I was the only kid who cared for them. Peanut Butter cookies were good as well. Years later a school worker shared the cookie recipe which I have never tried. It makes a huge batch.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                              RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 7:45 AM (permalink)
                                              Had the best mock ckicken legs I have ever had.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                                RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 12:01 PM (permalink)
                                                I remember the peanut butter cookies, too. A little math ought to solve the huge batch problem. Want to share the recipe, or did they swear you to secrecy?

wallhd

RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 12:09 PM (permalink)
                                                  Back in my school dazes, roughly 1950 thru 1963, the school cafeterias in my school system put out lots and lots of evil-smelling crap. Two notable exceptions though were mashed potatoes with hamburg gravy (especially before instant mashed potatoes became the norm) and our local Northeastern NY State specialty, Michigan Hot Dogs. They were different from what all of the local stands served, but darn good in their own right anyway.

Wally
                                                  Peru Central School, class of 1963
                                                  Cornell '67

Daydrmr

• Total Posts: 14
                                                    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 12:52 PM (permalink)
                                                    I was such a fussy eater when I was growing up. Everything had to be plain. I only liked the cheese squared pizzas, chicken nuggets and hamburger days. Our school used to make what they called Peanut Butter Chews. I loved them! I wish I knew how they made it. I liked Tuna fish sandwiches but they always used the dark tuna, which grossed me out so I would never eat it.

cd348

• Total Posts: 67
                                                      RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      When I was growing up in Louisville I attended St. Boniface grade school. The cafeteria was very small but the food was great. Most notable was the chili. It was served without spaghetti noodles. It came with crackers, cold milk and cheddar cheese slices. To this day I remember the taste of the combination. After grade school I went to St. X high school. Nothing that came from the St. X cafeteria was worth eating.

lynndunham

• Total Posts: 194
                                                        • Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
                                                        RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                                        I was in school roughly 1947 - 1964. In grade school I remember we had to clean our plates before going to the playground. Many days I sat staring at a plate full of city chicken or some other meat that I was afraid of(very picky about meat!) Started a life-long love of macaroni and cheese there. Not at all like the boxed, runny artificial stuff you get today. Also loved the real mashed potatoes and gravy. Junior high was in the same building but I think I mostly went to the Canteen restaurant in the next block. High school I don't remember what we had. I think I mostly went out and smoked or went to a restaurant in town where I could get good egg salad sandwiches and hot fudge sundaes. In junior college in Virginia we had to eat in the dining room. We were served at the table, and it was some of the best food I ever ate. Thursday nights and Sunday afternoons were always dress-up and we had turkey, chicken, or roast beef. Everything for every meal was fresh and handmade. The yeast rolls were to die for, and the cornbread was cut into squares in the pan and had lots of butter poured over it. The dorm and dining room/ball room were in a beautiful old hotel in a small town. I finished college in Ohio but almost always ate at a sandwich shop or some place off campus. The few times I did eat in the cafeteria, the food was good but not memorable.

lostnthemail

• Total Posts: 427
                                                          • Location: Louisville, MS
                                                          RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                                          mbrookes,

I was not sworn to secrecy when it was shared with me. My husband was the principal of the high school and the cafeteria ladies took care of him!!!

Peanut butter Cookies

12 cups butter
                                                          12 cups white sugar
                                                          12 cups brown sugar
                                                          12 cups peanut butter
                                                          24 fresh eggs
                                                          12 teaspoons salt
                                                          12 tablespoons vanilla
                                                          12 teaspoons soda
                                                          6 quarts of flour

Cream butter. Beat in sugar. Add peanut butter, eggs, vanilla & dry ingredients. Should make a stiff dough. Arrange small balls on cookie sheet & press with fork.

Better invite everybody you know to help eat these or either divide the recipe down. Looks like everything will divide by 6 for easy math.

Enjoy!

Big Dave

• Total Posts: 142
                                                            • Location: Warren, OH
                                                            RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 08/21/07 10:03 PM (permalink)
                                                            After reviewing the thread, a few unpleasant memories came back to me.

The "pizza" was the worst. I think the crust may have been drywall that didn't make it. The sauce was red, but may not have been tomato based. Perhaps the tomato flavoring was artificial. I have no idea what the base was. The cheeze may have been made by Firestone or Goodyear. Whatever it was, it may have been illegal to call it a processed cheeze product, much less real cheeze.

Things billed as meat loaf or meat balls may have been specimens rejected by Swanson, Stouffer's, On-Cor, etc.

The burgers were the worst. The patties may have actually been cardboard. That's what it tasted like.

The fish patties were actually somewhat edible. Then again, during the mid 70's through late 80's, technology had not progressed enough to make artificial fish.

The hot and cold packages from the elementary schools were an adventure in themselves. My memories are very vague. I intentionally suppress all memories of childhood since mine was miserable.

The "fruit cocktail" was actually specimens that look like they had been eaten before.

The two universities I attended were a totally different ballgame as far as food. I'll save that for another post.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 4 of 7, messages 91 to 120 of 193

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com