I always hated school cafeteria food...

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/21 22:49:56 (permalink)
Hmmm, elementary school food. Mostly good memories though I'd probably turn my nose up at most of it now. I recall their version of spaghetti with meat sauce...most of us were so hungry that we ate it with no complaint. In fact, I recall that most days, one of the cafeteria workers would come out into the dining room and shout "Who wants seconds?" There'd be a mad rush. Also the mac & cheese, a "foreign" dish at the time to this former New Yorker. I liked it. And "Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes." I never had this at home but it tasted good. But, I was just a kid, a hungry kid at that. I also recall stew (beef, I think), chicken pot pie and grilled cheese sandwiches. I would get an ice cream sandwich whenever they offered them. All in all, not gourmet but decent. No one got sick to my knowledge.
Duesy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/21 23:01:38 (permalink)
my elementary school cooks made everything from scratch...amazing

middle school (junior high in the old days)...vile, cafeteria was never cleaned

high school--good first two years, sucked last two (most famous specialty: Starch Day--chicken and dumplings over mashed potatoes with a biscuit on the side)

college--outstanding food (but then...it's catered)
jettababs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/21 23:26:40 (permalink)
I remember moving, in the third grade, from an old public elementary school that actually served pretty decent food, to a newer private school, where the only edible thing was Shepard's Pie. Everyone got excited on Shepard's Pie day, because for some reason, while everything else was awful and nearly indistinguishable, the Pie was really good. My old school had great peanut butter and honey sandwiches, and tater tots with almost everything.
jettababs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/21 23:28:25 (permalink)
My parents thought it was strange, though, that for the cost of tuition, the food was so terrible, while the old school had been able to do all kinds of good things with government cheese and peanut butter.
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/22 01:18:14 (permalink)
boy what I would not give to have one of those elementery school `veal' cutlet patties with brown gravy..mmmm good!
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/22 01:57:59 (permalink)
Don't remember anything remarkable except the dinner rolls. Homemade, yeasty, pillows of delight. At two for $.05 (1964-67) they were quite a deal.
Frank
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/22 10:11:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by californyguy

boy what I would not give to have one of those elementery school `veal' cutlet patties with brown gravy..mmmm good!

I'm from Rhode Island. Melt a slice of government cheese on that breaded patty, pour some red gravy over it and serve it with spaghetti and a puffy roll and I'd be all over it.

I may have to break down and buy some imitation veal patties and a jar of Ragu one day soon.
fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/22 13:25:15 (permalink)
I loved the apple crisp and the peanut butter cookies. Hated meat lunches, hot dogs, hamburgers, meatloaf.
My children now love the nachos, hate the chicken fingers.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/22 13:47:05 (permalink)
I'm jealous of the posters who say they had good cafeteria food at their Catholic schools... we had no cafeteria for my first eight years!

But, you could order milk, they had that every day. Plus you could buy popsicles. Plus they had the moms do a "hot dog day" once a month & they sold homemade cupcakes (yum, hot dog not so yum). My *favorite* day was McDonalds day, once a month they'd order hamburgers & cheeseburgers for us, but no fries . I used to be amazed that the boys would eat two or three. LOL!

In high school we had two cafeterias: one at the boys school & one at the girls. No big difference in quality that I remember, but all I ever remember eating is grilled cheese sandwiches and french fries every day!!! And I was sooooo skinny. (Sigh)

In college it was very average food... but oddly once again I got to choose between eating at the girls' dorm or the boys'. (Or men's & women's if you prefer.) But that was Berkeley and the real world food there was just SOOOOO awesome. Oh for a Top Dog.
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/27 10:26:41 (permalink)

A couple of my food memories are of shepard's pie, American chop suey (Beefaroni..)well done hamburgers under a heat lamp, hot dogs and a chimichanga made with leftover chili and the hot dogs from the day before.
One of my favorite meals was sliced hot dogs in BBQ sauce over rice. I still will make it as a comfort food dish.

Mom made bag lunches too. Two of the best things she made were baked bean sandwiches and a boiled chicken with ham sandwich.

mark
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4588
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/27 13:49:30 (permalink)
Ok, I give. A Baked Bean Sandwich? Just BB on white bread, or something more?
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/27 14:38:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Ok, I give. A Baked Bean Sandwich? Just BB on white bread, or something more?

They were smashed up enough to bind and placed on a good Kaiser roll.
There are some recipes on the web. Some are pretty upscale.

mark
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 329
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/27 14:45:00 (permalink)
Lunch was 35 cents when I was in school, and, if my memory serves me, the entrees were homemade and.....not horrible! Pizza was not pizzeria-quality, but good enough for a grade-schooler. And, every once in a while we got Tang as a drink option -- it was still new enough for it to be a source of fascination for us. Otherwise, drink options were milk, or milk. No chocolate milk, no soda -- you paid your 2 cents for your 1/2 pint of milk and that was that!
susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/27 14:52:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse

Lunch was 35 cents when I was in school, and, if my memory serves me, the entrees were homemade and.....not horrible! Pizza was not pizzeria-quality, but good enough for a grade-schooler. And, every once in a while we got Tang as a drink option -- it was still new enough for it to be a source of fascination for us. Otherwise, drink options were milk, or milk. No chocolate milk, no soda -- you paid your 2 cents for your 1/2 pint of milk and that was that!

And the milk came in a glass bottle. I felt sorry for our custodian when one of the kids would drop their milk. What a mess!
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 329
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/27 14:58:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by susanll

quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse

And the milk came in a glass bottle. I felt sorry for our custodian when one of the kids would drop their milk. What a mess!

Actually, ours weren't in glass bottles, but in wax-coated heavy paper cartons -- simlar to the cartons you see in dairy cases today, except with a coating of wax on the carton, inside and out. Sometimes there would be a flake of wax in the milk as you drank it....
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/08/27 16:01:46 (permalink)
Our elementary school did not have a cafeteria, but hot soup was served in the gym, for anyone who wanted it. I think it was always Campbells Vegetable.

The only thing I remember about junior high food was the cheese pizza (square and absolutely wonderful), and the mystery meat in gravy over mashed potatoes. It wasn't obviously hamburger. Thinking back, it kind of looked like TVP, but it was soooooo good.

I don't remember ever having a meal in high school (Cleveland in Seattle), because right across the street on the corner was a drive-in, and next door to that was another one. Actually, they looked like drive-ins but they were walk ins, both owned by Cleveland graduates from back in the day. They were both good, but you were either "a Louie's person" or "a Dave's person". Kind of like, you were either a Stones person or a Beatles person. lol You could tell what someone was like by which place they ate lunch at.
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 12:01:50 (permalink)
Ahh, school cafeterias. I never took part in them. I always, always bagged my lunch. I think I can remember two instances where I ordered a "hot" lunch from the cafeteria in my entire 12 years of schooling.

From grades 1-9 I went to a private Christian school. They didn't have a huge food selection to choose from - I remember mini pepperoni pizzas, mini supreme pizzas, and pepperoni Hot Pockets. And white or chocolate milk. And several vending machines. I don't remember anything else.

Public school from 10-12 grade had a lot more variety, but I still stayed away from ordering the food because I wasn't interested. Sometimes I would get a Little Debbie snack cake from the snack bar, but that's about it. I remember they had a salad bar, sometimes a potato bar, one or two "hot entrees" (ex. pizza and fries, haha), and a variety of drinks and snacks.

--Jessica
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 13:28:16 (permalink)

I completed a 34 year career in education back in 2000. Add those years to the time-served as a student and you can understand when I say I experienced a wide variety of food-service during that time. Taking out the college and university food which is a whole different world from the public school stuff, the range of quality and choices still was pretty broad. In my H S student days I was a fan of the Tacos or Burgers and Choc. Shakes from the 'FF windows' in our SoCal H S cafeteria (not the regular Hot Lunch Line). As a young teacher in New York (rural Upstate) I took advantage of the cheap lunch, as the teachers got the 'best' of the day's stuff and usually seconds if we looked hungry enough!! Years later in New Jersey I learned to go out for lunch as the school's program was really poor in all respects. My last Public school term was in SoCal and I was lucky to have students who went out for lunch and would bring back an order for me. There was a JIB right next to the school, and a Burger King across the street. Half-dozen JIB Tacos or two 99 cent Whoppers (full-sized, not midget burgers) would do it for lunch for me.
Lunch today bears no resembelance to the school food-services of the past !!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 13:47:49 (permalink)
The "Milk History" in my School lunch journal was an interesting story in itself.
I recall in my first school years (late 1940's) We had Glass bottles pulled around to the classroom in a red wagon, where we ate of brown-bag (lunchbox) lunches. The bottle had a paper cap with a tab to pull up for straw insertion. Serving size was 'Half-Pint' (8 oz). Next we went to a wax-paper carton with a round tab in one corner of the flat top...pull-up the tab to open, again half-pint size. Then they increased the size of the serving to one-third quart (@11 OZ) in a new shaped carton that had an angle roof with a pull tab on the side of the roof of the carton. Then they again changed the shape to the angle roof with the corner that you folded back then forced open to form a spout (like the quart containers used today.) I think the changes were part of a conspiracy to make us accept change in everything in our lives. It was a solid lesson in the lack of permanence anywhere...
sammur
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 13:54:11 (permalink)
My grammar school in Atlanta had great brownies. They would sell extras for a nickel. Lunch with milk was a quarter. Funny, I can still smell the lunch I would bring in a lunch bag; a pb&j sandwich and a banana.
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 14:01:41 (permalink)
Lunch was 35 cents through grade school and high school, and not too bad if you didn't expect gourmet, although I got a few winks and nods and more than a few laughs when a friend did a Euell Gibbons imitation, and I blurted out, "Did you ever eat a school lunch? Many parts are edible!"

The most vivid memory of school lunches I had was at Milwaukee Area Technical College, where they made a thick roux with all sorts of frozen stuff, veggies and the like, called "Hot Dog Chowder". I loved it, but during my orientation, they passed out a list entitled "ten uses for hot dog chowder". My dad made something very similar with canned beans and diced ham, frozen veggies of all stripes and the pink yuck from a can of ham he called "Slop in the Pot", which we all loved. His peasoup had a liberal dose of what he called "sulze" in it, and we all loved that, too.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1069
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 16:00:42 (permalink)
At James Madison Elementary in San Antonio they made back in the 1960s great enchiladas.
My dad after he retired worked at Rose Garden Elementary in Universaal City.I remember him saying that the head cafeteria lady,Mrs.D made donuts.Well she added too much salt,and not enough sugar,and the kids wouln't eat them.
Now alot of the food the school district serves is pre-made,don't think they make much stuff from scratch.
HollyDolly
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 16:31:55 (permalink)
Hey my dad lived in Milwaukee in the 1930s and 40s and went to Boys Technical High School.Big Ugly Mich,is the school still around?
I ask because i had never heard of Milwaukee Area Technical College.
Our school district used to get whole turkies and turkey roasts that were USDA commodities.
Here at the warehouse we would get together with the maintance departemnt and order a turkey from the cafeteria and bring the side dishes ourselves,or everyone would pay for lunch,and we would get the turkey and the trimmings from Clemens cafeteria.Ahh,the good old days.That's when our district was small and before everyone discovered Schertz was the best place to live in Texas (small town wise).Where you could see farmer's fields and deer and rabbits
not houses and traffic.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 18:51:59 (permalink)
Holly Dolly,
Since I am not from or ever worked in Wisconsin, I can toot their horn a bit. The Milwaukee Area Tech College has set the pace for most of the nations post-secondary Vo-Tech education for many years. When I worked for the Indiana State Vo-Tech College System, we often visited the Milwaukee colleges to see how they were doing things (as we entered the computerized education era). They have maintained a high quality program over the years that all of the 'Badgers' can be proud of.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6359
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/12 23:51:17 (permalink)
Lunch in Ele was 75 cents
Milk was 50 cents a week, you wanted to be in AM kindergarten, cause they brought the milk out in a little red wagon in the morning and it sat there until the afternoon class had their milk.
Warm milk Blechhhhhhh
The milk was in the little paper cartons.

Lunch in Jr High was $1.00

Lunch in HS was $1.00 + $1.00 for the milk shake.

They had 3 lines, Salad only line (yogurt and salads)
2 Serving lines, where you could choose pizza and fries or the daily special

Pizza and fries won hands down.

My son's lunch at Elementary School

$1.50 for lunch, $1.00 for an extra serving of the entree (He eats there on pizza and Chicken nuggets day only)
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/13 09:42:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by HollyDolly Hey my dad lived in Milwaukee in the 1930s and 40s and went to Boys Technical High School. Big Ugly Mich, is the school still around?
Yep, and it expanded a couple years ago. I graduated from Milwaukee Technical High School in 1976. The Class of '75 was the last class of Boys' Tech, even the 5 girls. M.A.T.C. is about as good as technical colleges get, except perhaps for City College of New York and Miami-Dade Technical College, but it costs a ton to go these days, so it's Gateway Technical College in Kenosha for me.
HollyDolly
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2007/09/13 17:17:35 (permalink)
thanks Big Ugly Mich.
Haven't been to Milwaukee in about 10 or so years to see my cousins.
School lunches here are over a dollar more like a couple of bucks.Don't eat anytthing from there,just go home for lunch.
magcentric
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 12:18:28 (permalink)
I really liked the perfectly square fish patties, white cake with pink icing and the mashed potatoes which could also be used as spackle or insulation in a pinch.
Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 12:37:03 (permalink)
Funny but some of my former classmates discuss how much we liked some of the school lunches. I loved the meatloaf, potatoes and gravy and those warm yeast rolls with real butter! I understand that the cafeterias still make them but I'd have to try one to see. The turkey and gravy was a must, too! Actually, the only one I didn't like was the liver and onions. Bet they don't even attempt to serve that these days. It seems to be instant food!

Went to breakfast with my 10 yr old grandson and it was just terrible! He got the pancake/sausage on a stick without syrup to go with it. My eggs and sausage were inedible! Sounds like his lunches are just as bad! I don't understand why the food is so terrible!
jimsock9
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 285
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 12:43:54 (permalink)
Man, the school spaghetti was fantastic. It was all hot and watered down...strangely, I still love my spaghetti that way! Sometimes I'll add water to the sauce on my plate since my wife likes the sauce thick!
To me it was the best by far...
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1