Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
  • Reward points : 0
I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 11:12 AM

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 11:33 AM
Huh... Meatloaf and Mashed Spud day was my favorite...

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 12:02 PM
My favorite was baked butterbeans with little sausage patties scattered throughout the beans. That was so yummy. I never think to make butterbeans as a side dish anymore. Wonder why?

Donna

dhdav66
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 12:10 PM
I always loved the crazy combinations -- my favorite was the square pizza served with French Fries or tater tots.

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 12:15 PM
Hmm. Having taught eighth grade in Memphis 1970-1975, I know enough to suggest that it might not have been the food, And generally speaking, eighth graders have yet to be classified as entirely human.

When I was in High School many people thought I was Roman Catholic because I always chose the fish on Friday in the school cafeteria. I wasn't, but the fish was so good that I wish I had the recipe today!

DinoS
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 12:17 PM
My high school used to make a 'hot hamburger sandwich' which I loved. They would make a hamburger cream gravy (probably from govt surplus food). Then they would put a slice of white bread on the plate, add a scoop of mashed potatoes, add another slice of white bread on top, and then ladel the hamburger gravy over the entire thing.

The only food rebellion I remember was when they made 'sloppy joes' using tuna fish.

Dino

michaelgemmell
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 12:18 PM
In the early to mid 1960s we'd get this meat patty that looked like cooked, shredded pot roast was molded into a log and then sliced. It sounds weird, but most of us liked it.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6220
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 12:38 PM
I went to 5th and 6th grade in a school building that was so small there was NO cafeteria. So we either brown-bagged it OR we were allowed to go across the street to the Catholic school and eat in their cafeteria which was staffed with about 20 Italian ladies. Lawdy, did those kids ever eat good! They were happily chomping down on chicken parmesan, penne with Bolognaise sauce, fresh salads, crusty bread and here we were across the street with a cold sammich!

rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 12:53 PM

Yep, the memories:

Tacos oozing full of grease
Pizza overloaded with those anise seeds
Mystery Meat sub sandwiches buried in sauce
Chicken and Rice or Turkey and Dressing days

...and you know it might be a bad day when you walk in
the cafeteria to get your lunch ticket and the first thing
you see is a dead roach on the floor

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 12:54 PM
We had cafeterias in my junior high school and my high school, but I never saw the insides of them.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 1:36 PM
We had good food in my Elementary School = Grades 1-8, but when I got to High School-that was a different story.
I remember the Elementary School food like hot yeast rolls, creamed chicken over rice, fried chicken with rice and gravy, Hot apple pie with grated cheese, Wonderful beef vegetable soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, Barbecue chicken, -This was in the late 50's , early 60's before the schools started serving all those fast food type of lunches.

MissKitty
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 1:40 PM
I tried school dinners once when I was about 6 or 7. Just once. That was enough for me. I was sick after. I took packed lunches after that for the rest of my school career. Unfortunately we had to eat those in the same room as the school dinnerites so I could still smell it. There was a " pig bin " at the back of the dinner room that you were supposed to scrape off your leftovers into. Most of the dinners smelt like they been scraped out of the pigbin. This was way before multiple choice cafeteria style dinners and fancy modern stuff like pizza or baked potatoes. This was strictly meat and veg stuff. Ewww.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 1:58 PM
Welcome back Miss Kitty-you have been missed here on Roadfoo
quote:
Originally posted by MissKitty

I tried school dinners once when I was about 6 or 7. Just once. That was enough for me. I was sick after. I took packed lunches after that for the rest of my school career. Unfortunately we had to eat those in the same room as the school dinnerites so I could still smell it. There was a " pig bin " at the back of the dinner room that you were supposed to scrape off your leftovers into. Most of the dinners smelt like they been scraped out of the pigbin. This was way before multiple choice cafeteria style dinners and fancy modern stuff like pizza or baked potatoes. This was strictly meat and veg stuff. Ewww.

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 2:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

My favorite was baked butterbeans with little sausage patties scattered throughout the beans. That was so yummy. I never think to make butterbeans as a side dish anymore. Wonder why?

Donna

Well, Donna - get yourself to the store and whip some up for dinner with some cornbread!

No memories really stand out of cafeteria food in American schools, except for elementary school when our mom would give us an extra nickel on cinammon roll day. Those rolls would put Cinnabon to shame.

In Kuwait, you had to brown bag it, which could be very interesting, depending on what was available to buy. Mostly it was ham and cheese on Arabic bread with the occasional luck of a loaf of Pepperidge farm bread. The thing I dreaded most was when my mother would make us sandwiches out of mashed up Vienna sausages. There was no cafeteria, we just ate at our desks. During Ramadan when the Muslim kids were fasting we would go to a different room. I don't remember having bagged chips there, but that may just be my memory.

The best day at school was "Wimpy's" day, when hamburgers and fries from Wimpy's were brought in for lunch.

Milk was brought to each classroom daily. You ordered every day for the next day and could have your pick of plain, chocolate or strawberry. The milk containers there were a triangular shape with blue and white checks.

Looks like it comes in boxes now

MissKitty
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 2:18 PM

Originally posted by emsmom

Welcome back Miss Kitty-you have been missed here on Roadfood

Aww thanks emsmom, I have missed you all too !

Over the last two months I moved house and started an addtional job, I work 7 days a week now, and for the first 2 weeks after I moved I didnt have my own phoneline, soo no 'net Back now and gradually getting things unpacked and sorted out and settling into the new job so can spend a little more time checking out the forums

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Fri, 11/19/04 2:18 PM
FOOD FIGHT !!!! Reminds me of John Belushi as Bluto in Animal House.

I remember well (having tried to forget for decades) the poor quality cafeteria food which passed for fine dining in both high school and college. Imagine my surprise when visiting various colleges with my older son a few years ago to find how far the bar has been raised by college cafeteria's. Most now offer several all-you-can-eat stations with very high quality food.

Salad bars, wood fired pizza ovens, make-your-own deli section for subs or sandwiches, a grill line, and an entree station with several grilled and roasted items. He now goes to Hamilton College and they even have a sushi area and a choose your food wok area for stir fry. Rose and I really enjoy eating there when we visit, but of course, he is used to it and would rather go out to have something different.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6220
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 4:40 AM
As far as college cafeterias go, I probably attended one of the best......Westminster College in New Wilmington, PA. We regularly had steak and shrimp but the best was the salad bar and the ICE CREAM BAR where you could make your own Sundae or whatever, with all the toppings!! And this was 30 years ago!

Mark in Ohio
  • Total Posts : 181
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 10:01 AM
Johnnie Marzetti

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15061
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 10:25 AM
One of the above posts included the greasy taco comment. My last teaching post served tacos that matched grease with the nearby Jack-in-the-Box. Those 2 for 99cent little devils are the ultimate school lunch food, and the school personnel could imitate them for half the cost of the 'Name-brand' killer!

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 10:35 AM
The Soybean burgers at Germantown (TN) High School kicked butt! Really! They were served on a big greasy biscuit with pickles and onions. Everyday was good there, back in the early seventies.

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 11:22 AM
When I wrote of the butterbeans/sausage bake, I was remembering the cafeteria we had in high school. Before that, I went to a little country elementary school which had no cafeteria per se, but a lunch room and a lunch offered daily of some kind of soup and milk; soup was usually tomato and we had our choice of white or chocolate milk, and the total cost of lunch was seven cents, that is 7 cents. The soup a nickel, the milk 2 cents. That was back in the mid-30s. High school was located in a much larger town and had a lot more money with which to provide things the little country school couldn't afford.

Memories!!!

Donna

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 11:23 AM
For the entire twelve yrs of my education in the Millis Ma school system, there was one constant---Mrs D'Angelos--the most magnificent,professional,friendly,talanted and smiling lunchlady in history! Nothing will sway this opinion--the mear thought ofher Sloppy Joes makes me droll---the wonderful rectangular "pizza"that was the same one she serverd at home as foccacia with sauce---i know ive eaten it there to!!--Creamed tuna over hand maid bisuits---Fish sandwiches made with real fish-usually cod-and her tartar sauce and clam rolls one friday a month! I loved that women---as they built new school facilites we moved along together--when the grammer school was split from the origainal 12 grade school---i went---she went---when i finished there and was ready for jr high the new JR-Sr high opened--i moved---she moved. She started a program for student volunteers in the kitchen---the guys loved it---work in the kitchen means extra desserts!!! 2NDS!!! AND 3RDS!!! She interveined with the Home Ec teachers to start a cooking class for "boys"--of which i was the first to sign uo for---there were only 8 of us---just barely enough to qualify ONE SEMESTER--after that we would need 20!! Mrs D had them shedule our clas right before the Main hight school lunch period---we would traipse in with say--a sheetcake for two guys!!!----or whole pies. The next semester they had 28 guys sign up.
I may be a very rare case but i must admit---my school food memories are all good ones!---Thanks Mrs D!!!!!!

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 12:42 PM
At my recent 25th High School reunion several of us discussed a reason our cafeteria was so popular. It was an all boys school, and one of the women who staffed the counter was a very well endowed young woman, who always seemed to have one button too many open on her cafeteria lady outfit. Thinking back, I suspect it was all a ploy to increase sales and make us forget about the quality of the food. It worked in my case, (and many others) because while I can picture this woman quite vividly, I have no recollection good or bad about anything I ate during those four years of high school.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 4:29 PM
When I first attended San Diego State, the best food on campus was the 55 cent burger that came out of the vending machine. Looking back on it, it was awful, but I can recall a time I actually looked forward to my dry crusty burger.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 6:49 PM
Dearfolk,
In elementary school, our lunchroom food was excellent. I especially remember the chicken pie, which I looked forward to and always wanted seconds (and thirds and fourths) on.
In junior high school, the quality of the food was a little lower. I no longer returned home waxing poetic about what was served for lunch.
In high school, a slight improvement was made, but it still wasn't as good as good old Chase Street School (which is still there, by the way).
I guess I'm spoiled... my mother was a great cook, and so was my grandmother. I've never been skinny in my life, and loving good beer hasn't helped keep me svelte. I am totally resigned to the fact that I will never be a Mr. Sanitone lookalike... Santa Claus is closer to the mark.
I sure with I had some of that chicken pie right now....
Waxing Nostalgically (But Not My Legs), Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 7:59 PM
The cooks at my elementary and junior high schools were all mostly related, thus I had continuity of some tried and true recipes throughout those years. Our cooks were Goddesses of Institutional Gourmet. Our mashed potatoes were always from scratch, peaked in their perfection. Meatloaf and Salisbury Steaks brimming in spices and juices, salt-brined fried chicken and true Spaghetti Bolognese. Puffed domes of homemade buttermilk rolls, ciabatta and foccacia with frsh rosemary, olive oil, parmesean and neopolitan pizza that oozed hot cheese all over your plate. Homemade egg noodles and dumplings floated in stock and Tomato Soup was enhanced with tomato puree and butter. Cannollis, pizzelles and apple dumplings regularly appeared as well as blintzes, apple crisps, chocolate no-bakes and Missisippi Mud Cake. The Peanut Butter Cookies they produced have NEVER been equaled by anyone , anywhere. Their most important ingredient was love, though, for it was evident in every bite and in their actions. They knew each and every one of us.....sent home treats on our birthdays and the holidays, and they militantly refused to follow school board guidelines in their production of food. God Bless each and everyone of those grand ladies.

Adjudicator
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 8:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rmcielwain

Yep, the memories:

Tacos oozing full of grease
Pizza overloaded with those anise seeds
Mystery Meat sub sandwiches buried in sauce
Chicken and Rice or Turkey and Dressing days

...and you know it might be a bad day when you walk in
the cafeteria to get your lunch ticket and the first thing
you see is a dead roach on the floor

Ha. I fondly remember "school" tacos & pizza. I especially remember the day we had pizza for the "main entree" and turnip greens as "the vegetable". Yum Yum...

PammyJo
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 8:37 PM
I must have a memmory block from school lunches. The only things I can remember are the chili days. Bowls of chili with spaghetti, served with crackers, a stick of cheese and peanut butter sandwiches. We then threw our cheese stick in the bowl along with a couple packs of crumbled crackers....mixed it well and dunked our peanut butter sandwiches into the mess. To this day....I must always have peanut butter sandwiches with my chili....and cut on the diagonal.

Another thing I fondly remember was these sweet crispy treats made with peanut butter and cornflakes. I always had to buy an extra one of those.

rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 9:33 PM

Yes! Butter Crunchies
we make them at home a lot!

sweetgherkin
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 9:54 PM
Chili days! In grade school/junior high, our chili days always included big gooey cinnamon rolls. Spaghetti days always included corn. And of course the pizza was square, and the sauce didn't seem to be much different than the spaghetti sauce.

In high school we had a choice of the day's special, or the salad bar and hamburger bar were there every day. I only ate lunchroom food when it was taco salad or taco burger day, otherwise it was usually a trip to 7-11 across the street for a chicken sandwich and mini jo-jos.

TIPPY LEE
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 11/20/04 11:21 PM
My father was career army, so I got to experience many different things in many places...When he retired in 1973 after thirty years service, we came here to the Eastern Kentucky mountains, his home area, much to my mother's and mine's objections! Grade school food here was really wonderful. Chili, homemade yeast rolls that were bigger than you fist, chicken and dumplings, hamburgers and fries,etc.,...The main cook was a saint of a lady whom just recently went to that "big lunchroom in the sky", Lack Lafferty. She always knew when a child needed an encourageing word, and might need a little extra on their plates as that might be all they have to eat that day.Don't make em' like her anymore! High school food was a tad underpar. The preresiquite pizza and corn, but the most feared, by me at least was the Chuckwagon patty. A contender for mystery meat if ever there was one...Of course now, they have changed to more mainstream like all others:salad bar, tacos, pizza, etc.,....Those were the days my friends! Tom B. in cold, wet, foggy, Eastern Kentucky.

robicheaux
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Mon, 11/22/04 10:58 AM
back in the 50's tacos in CA were great, but having my first New Orleans Poor Boy ( ham & Cheese ) in high school in New Orleans was always my favorite for 50 cents.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Mon, 11/22/04 11:06 AM
My high school cafeteria had a way with bread dough. They turned out the most delicious homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and pigs in blankets or beerocks. They also turned out a dish called "hamburger gravy" which was just ground beef mixed with beef gravy ladled over mashed potatoes (something I serve for dinner occasionally). The most memorable bad thing was the fried chicken..the pieces of chicken sat in a large pool of grease on our plates.

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 889
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Mon, 11/22/04 11:18 AM
My elementary school cafeteria experience was like those of emsmom and redtressed. Mostly I remember sturdy grandmotherly women in white uniforms and hairnets making lots of good food. The made-from-scratch rolls were particularly delightful. The canned english peas were not (I still retch at the smell of these...)

Route 11
  • Total Posts : 752
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Tue, 11/23/04 11:25 AM
My high school food was pretty good. It was an ala carte set-up. We also had salad bar, potato bar and pasta bar on rotating days.
In elementary school, we had mystery meat patties shaped like a smurf head, complete with hat. I still can't figure out what they were.

trolasater
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Tue, 11/23/04 12:15 PM
My favorite memory of school cafeteria food was wonderful hot rolls the size of your hand. The one recurring nightmare from elementary school was giant dried lima beans. These horrors were each the size of an adult's thumb and must have been WWII surplus. When cooked (you had to boil them for a very long time to make them tender), you got a watery off white goo filled with empty bean skins that looked like cicada bodies. My favorite meal was meat loaf, white rice, and steamed cabbage.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Tue, 11/23/04 12:44 PM
In elementary school, we ate our packed lunches in a dreary, low-ceilinged basement with naked light bulbs and big exposed pipes overhead. We could buy little cartons of milk but since there was no refrigeration, it was usually warm by lunctime.

I hardly remember my high school cafeteria, although I do remeber snaeking out of lunch period frequently for a cheesesteak from a little place about a block away.

The food in college was good, except for any menu item preceeded by the word "savory". I attended Penn State and they always had a couple of flavors of the good ice cream they still sell at The Creamery on campus for dessert.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Tue, 11/23/04 1:25 PM
I too loved the pizza, ours was always sausage so there was a bit too much fennel, soy burgers, ahh yes. Cinnamon rolls were always great except for the bully that tried to talk everyone out of the center of their rolls. What about the peanut butter bars, anyone remember those? We were fortunate to have ice cold milk, chocolate or regular

danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Wed, 11/24/04 9:36 AM
I hated cafeteria food, too. That's why I never ate in my high school cafeteria. Luckily, I went to high school in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago, and we had an open campus. Gold Coast Dogs was a block away, so I went there a lot for char burgers and char dogs. There also was a Leon's BBQ on Clark Street back then, another popular lunch spot for my friends and me. And a place farther down Clark Street called Calliope that had good gyros. And a pizzeria (still there) called My Pie. Gee, I miss high school!

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Thu, 11/25/04 12:20 AM
For the longest time I swore that my elementary school cafeteria would serve spaghetti the day after they mowed the grass. The spaghetti athey served always had some herb/spice that looked like a blade of grass.

MikeS.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 12/4/04 5:44 AM
I'm old enough to have gone to school in the days when they MADE you eat EVERYTHING on your plate. I can remember the cafeteria at the old Morro Bay Elementary in Morro Bay, CA had a Japanese lady who would watch the kids as they ate, and she brooked no horseplay whatsoever.

This lady would go up and down the aisles, and when you were finished, you had to raise your hand, whereupon she would come over and inspect your plate. If there was any food left, you were instructed to eat it or there was no leaving to play for the rest of the lunch period.

Over the years, I have learned to eat many food items that were untouchable to me in childhood. But one thing I still cannot stand is butter on my bread. I despised it then as much as I do now. After being forced to choke and gag my bread and butter down a few times, I came up with a novel plan. I simply took both pieces of bread in hand, waited for the lunchlady to have her back to me, then I would slap the bread on the underside of the table, using the slathered on butter as glue.

I never got caught, and I never ate another piece of bread and butter from that year forward. And that was way back in 1962.

Farfromhome
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 12/4/04 11:04 AM
In elementary school at LaVace Stewart Elementary in Kemah Texas they had the same menu day in, day out month after month except for the last day before you got out for thanksgiving and christmas. I can't remember what was served Monday through Wednesday, but Thursday was hamburger days (yes those soy patties) and Friday was the fried fish sandwich (like a mcdonalds filet o'fish minus the cheese and lettuce) with gobs of tarter sauce slathered on top. Those were my 2 favorite days to buy my lunch and the rest of the week I would bring a sandwich from home. Also, it seemed like they served raisin and carrot salad with everything. One of the lunch ladies lived next door to us and I mentioned (to be polite) that I really liked the raisin and carrot salad and for the rest of my elementery school life I got served that salad in massive quantities when I went through the line.

The food choices in jr. high and high school were much better and there I was introduced to my all time favorite school lunch of sloppy joes!!!! Also they had things like corn dogs, chili dogs, and fries so greasy you could wring them out and get a puddle of grease.

My great aunt was the supervisor for the Texas City High's cafeteria for a number of years and I always envied those kids because she planned all the food offerings herself and the recipes were the same things she served at her home and that lady was one hell of a cook. Of course this was before federal mandates of how much fat etc could be in a school lunch so the food actually tasted like food. Nowadays, at least at the schools my kids attended the food is so awful it seems like child abuse to make these kids eat this stuff and my kids always take a lunch rather than buy anything but milk and juice at the cafeteria.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 12/4/04 8:24 PM
By the time I got to San Clemente, CA HS, they had shut down all the school kitchens, and were shipping the food out of one central district kitchen in San Juan Capistrano. I'll never forget the hamburgers. They were made with a thin grey patty of mystery meat, with painted on grill lines. They sure were good though, in a White Castle sort of way.

MYmimi
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sun, 12/5/04 10:13 PM
Back in Lyndhurst, Ohio in the 60's we had the BEST cafeteria food on Fridays. Greenview Junior High.The macaroni and cheese, french fries, and cherry pie with crumble topping were to die for.[:p

zussers
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sun, 12/5/04 10:21 PM
Ick, the worst at my school (Farragut elementary and middle in Knoxville) was the Salisbury steak. The gravy they served was like glue! I get sick just thinking about that glop! I guess the best was the pizza and the taco's! I don't think the stuff they served in highschool was all that bad. We could get milkshakes and pizza all the time.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sun, 12/5/04 11:26 PM
I wish some of the younger folk would do some posts here also (Or kids of some of the roadfooders here)! Around here, our better off schools are equiped like a mini restaurant now. Choices to be had! (Like college). I see some of you had choices back in the 70's, we always received what the cooks decided to serve that day. Actually, as stated earlier, we did have a choice of White or Choclate milk... Either way, I still stand behind my favorite being the meatloaf and mashed spud day. (I've even read in the past that a few schools on the east coast have gourmet food served vs. the normal slop).

Gizmolito
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Wed, 12/8/04 7:46 PM
I'm sure others may remember this from the mid- or late-50's:

"Mock Drumstick," which was veal made to resemble chicken! I guess at that time veal was cheaper than chicken. Of course back then, chicken was not marketed into individual parts as they are today.
Ground veal was molded to the shape of a chicken leg, and then cooked (I don't recall if it was baked or deep fried, mere child that I was.)
I avoided veal for years after that, since it wasn't very good.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3557
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Wed, 12/8/04 8:33 PM
I think the most amazing thing about elementary school menus were the names. Somehow the entire creative output was not channeled into creating the food, but instead of coming up with names like "Playground Chicken", "Baseball Burger" and "PBJ Surprise".

Pogo
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Thu, 12/9/04 12:19 AM
I never knew you had the option of not eating what was put in front of you.......And liking it.
But dear old Mrs. Henderson was my elementary school Lunch lady. And could she cook! Just good old appalachian soul food, but it was made with love. My favorites? Chocolate oatmeal fudgy cookies, chili served with either peanut butter or pimento cheese sandwiches. Homemade yeast rolls, sloppy joes.
Pogophiles, I agree with you about those green peas... When I read your post I kinda gurgled a little bit, but I ate them.

Jr High we had no cafeteria, there was a little drive-in across the street that made Krystal style hamburgers and those were brought into the gym each day and sold for lunch. I usually had a Dr. Pepper and some cheese crackers.

High School was an open campus because we had no cafeteria. Beer was sometimes my food of choice, or I would drive to Merri Mirths Bakery and get a cream horn.

I have one child in middle school and one in high school now. Both of them have salad bars to choose from, they have pizza every day, always 3 different meats to choose from...... And my children refuse to eat it. ALL THE FOOD IS PRE-PREPARED!!! Nothing is handmade anymore and is of the lowest quality obtainable.

It is sad that in a country as great as ours, that we cant find the money to feed children properly. I went to elementary in the 60's, and I know for a fact that the lunch served at school was the only meal some of my classmates would get that day and I am sure that is the case today.

Ketchup is a vegetable........... Anyone remember that bunch of crap? That was the beginning of the end.

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Thu, 12/9/04 12:50 AM
The best lunch item that St. Therese Elementary in Southgate, KY had to offer was the Hot Balogna and Cheese sandwiches. They were served on a bun wrapped in foil with a mystery mustard sauce and they were truly impressive. I reminded my Mom of them a few years ago and she promptly whipped up a batch. They were just as good 20 years later. That was pretty much it though. I don't remember another single menu item that was memorable, although their idea of pizza, half a hamburger bun with a smear of tomato paste and some cheddar cheese, left me fairly cold. After this, even the large squares they served in high school were impressive.

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Thu, 12/9/04 9:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

I think the most amazing thing about elementary school menus were the names. Somehow the entire creative output was not channeled into creating the food, but instead of coming up with names like "Playground Chicken", "Baseball Burger" and "PBJ Surprise".

Ed, you're right on target. I remember "Wiener Winks" -- take a piece of bread, add a slice of American cheese, place the wiener diagonally on top, fold up the ends, secure with toothpick and bake. I guess the idea was you'd see the wiener "peeking" (winking?) out either end of the bread.

brookquarry
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Thu, 12/9/04 10:37 AM
we also had wiener winks. also chuckwagon steak(a breaded deep-fried veal pattie) and pizzaburgers ( a sloppy-joe type mixture with ground sausage replaing the ground beef)

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Thu, 12/9/04 12:09 PM
My personal favorite was Thursday, when we had a grilled cheese sandwich with tuna and macaroni salad. For some reason, that was really good.

The most popular day was Wednesday, which was pizza day. If we could figure out how they made one slice so greasy, we could tell OPEC to get lost. It was good, though. But, I didn't like anything else they served with it.

The only meal I recall steadfastly avoiding was burger day. I'm not sure what they were made of, but I wouldn't have wanted to have been a dog living near my school.

coppercat
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 12/11/04 10:12 PM
The only thing I can remember about school lunches was Friday was Pizza day. Somehow I remember that as the best pizza ever. But if your class was one of the last to get to the cafe. there was none left and you enden up with PBJ instead.

Scarlett
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sat, 12/11/04 10:27 PM
Our cafeteria food wall always excellent.
The schools (grammer, junior/middle and high) were relatively small and the smell of the baking rolls started perminating the halls by second period. Every one was in a 'feeding frenzy' by lunch.
The vegetable/beef soup, meat loaf and chicken pot pie-- all legendary.

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sun, 12/12/04 9:45 AM
I have never been a fan of school food, but I do fondly remember the days we had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Also, the spice cake with the white icing was good. Dreaded foods included the anise seed pizza, the fake mashed potatoes, and the sloppy joes. In the final year of high school, we were allowed to bring food from the cafeteria to class, and my friend and I put way to many raw onions on our hamburgers so we put the excess onions in our desks. The next day, our desks were sitting out in the hall being aired out and we had to clean them out and sit in them in the hall for that hour and then go to the office.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sun, 12/12/04 6:01 PM
In Boulder, during the late sixties and early seventies, on Mondays or Wednesdays they would have the "Manager's Special." It was either a hamburg gravy over mashed potatoes, or an ice cream scoop of some casserole that somewhat resembled Spanish rice. I thought it was wonnnnderful.

But of course, the chili and cinnamon roll on Fridays was the best.

ConeyIslandLou
  • Total Posts : 737
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sun, 12/12/04 6:13 PM
School lunches.....mmmm....Sloppy Joes with rice-to this day Sloppy Joes get accompanied by rice....yes...the meatloaf with gov't issued instant taters...the same when they had turkey.....

Adjudicator
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Sun, 12/12/04 11:03 PM
It's amazing. I originally posted this topic out of a Yahoo link. With the responses so far, I have begun to think about my past school meals, also. No, not about the pizza & turnip green fiasco, but about the wonderful meals I had during my stent as a "military brat" in Puerto Rico. Arroz con Pollo, plantanos, the "infamous" tomato soup (aka penny cleanser...), et. al. I remember so many things; so many good foods from this era of my life ('65-68). Ah, the chateaubriand; the Maine lobster (all via NAS San Juan). All gone... If there are other Antilles brats out out there; please let me hear from 'ya...

noncentz
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... - Wed, 12/15/04 1:24 PM
Massachusetts high school lunch in the 80's:

A love it or leave it "meal" was something called Pizza-burger, which resounds with a lot more potential than it actually offered, but I loved it anyway.

It was basically a hamburger bun half (top or bottom) with a sloppy-joeish topping that was baked, thus allowing the sloppy joe substance to become dryer and less sloppy. The meat in the joe-stuff was ground much further also, so it was practically a paste on the bun. The pizza aspect came from the "cheese" that was placed on top of the bun creation prior to baking. The cheese was nothing akin to a dairy product. It was in fact, a couple of Cheez-its that became soggy when mixed with the sauce mixture.

As disgusting as it sounds, Pizza-burger was an anticipated meal at school and it is the one recipe I wish I had - because I've never seen it on a menu anywhere.

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 60 of 193