I could be wrong but...

Author
WarmBeer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
2011/05/25 18:37:26 (permalink)

I could be wrong but...

...I'd swear there used to be an I-dog shop at this location.
 - It's on Springfield Ave. Just off Rte 22 heading North on the left.
Anyone remember this?  What was the name?  Do I have the right location?  Was it somewhere else near there?
TIA
ed

5 Replies Related Threads

ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:I could be wrong but... 2011/05/25 20:45:23 (permalink)
    WarmBeer, 

You are right. The Italian Hot dog place that occupied that space was called Charlie's Sons, and was run by a very nice fellow named Erik. Voted the Best Italian Hot Dog by the Star-Ledger Munchmobile one season, Erik's place made some of the best IHD potatoes I've ever tasted. 

Erik sold the place, and after a while the new owner turned it into a used car lot. 

The Bear
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:I could be wrong but... 2011/05/25 22:15:10 (permalink)
    Thanks Bear,  I was in a Business Development workshop with Erik about 20 years ago and he was trying to decide whether to expand or cash out.  Guess he chose the latter. 
    Google maps shows a Charlie's IHD just across from there on 22 Eastbound.  Wondering if anyone has been there?  Is it an extension of Charlies in K-worth?
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2335
    Re:I could be wrong but... 2011/05/26 05:51:41 (permalink)
    Yes, Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs added a Union location.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:I could be wrong but... 2011/05/26 21:45:44 (permalink)
    WarmBeer, 

It is doubtful you had a workshopr with Erik about 20 years ago. He's probably in his early to mid thirties, which would have made him about 15 or so at the time. He bought the place from Charlie's sons, thus the name. Their dad originally owned Charlie's in Kenilworth, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Charlie's opened a place in a small strip mall on Route #22 East in Union. I have not been there, yet. 

The Bear
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2335
    Re:I could be wrong but... 2011/05/27 08:26:40 (permalink)
    Erik is a few years older than my daughter, who is 25. Charlie Fiorenza bought Charlies Famous in Kenilworth from the Raccioppi family in 1962. The restaurant was originally a Jimmy Buff's. Charlie couldn't use the Buff name so he called it Charlies Famous. He bought an existing Italian Hot Dog restaurant (Dee's) on Springfield Ave. in Union off Route 22 for his sons. That was Charlies Sons. The sons sold it to Erik, who sold it to a guy who owned a used car lot in Rahway. This guy ran the restaurant for a while, then converted it into a car lot.

Charlie the father eventually sold Charlies Famous in Kenilworth to a Mr. Callelo. Mr. Callelo's 2 sons ran the restaurant until Joe Callelo bought out his brother. Joe sold the restaurant a few years ago to Jimmy Guarino, the current owner.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1