I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do.

Author
angelfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
2004/04/02 10:52:04 (permalink)

I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do.

I went to the grocery store hungry. And walked out with a container of Extra Small Hilton's Fresh Pacific Willapoint Oysters Farm Grown from Coast Seafoods Co. of South Bend, WA.

I didn't pay much attention to the labels when I, in my hungry frenzy, bought them on a lark. Being on the east coast I haven't, to my knowledge, had west coast oysters. Much less farm-raised.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do with them.

Skewer them and smoke them on the grill or;

Make a stuffed clam-type thing out of them or;

Saute them or;

Smoke them on the grill and make stuffed clams and snow crab as a meal. I have everything on hand to do any and all of the above or;

Should I do something else entirely?

Please chime in with your opinions, recipes and any knowledge you may have to impart on the little, (actually they're pretty big), gems (?) I have purchased.

Thank you very much.

7 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do. 2004/04/02 11:44:07 (permalink)
    Throw them in the trash???? No offense intended, promise. I just can't eat them. Fresh, yes, canned and smoked, not for me. I really would be interested in how you finally prepare them.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do. 2004/04/02 11:47:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

Throw them in the trash???? No offense intended, promise. I just can't eat them. Fresh, yes, canned and smoked, not for me. I really would be interested in how you finally prepare them.

O.k. so now I'm embarrased. You said nothing about canned or smoked. I have bought the ones in the plastic container, only when I couldn't get ones from Cedar Key, to make oyster stew. They weren't all bad, they just lacked the saltiness that I like in an oyster.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6797
    RE: I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do. 2004/04/02 12:00:07 (permalink)
    How about this: Roast some poblano peppers, halved. Make a grilled corn/tomato/tequila/lime salsa. Make a cilantro mayo and a chipotle mayo. Roll the oysters in cornmeal and deep fry. Take a roasted pepper half, put a spoonfull of the salsa, place a fried oyster on top, alternate with dollops of the mayo. This appetizer was so popular at the restaurant I could not take it off the menu!
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do. 2004/04/05 09:37:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

I wrapped them in bacon, skewered them and smoked them on my Smokey Joe. MMMmmm mmmm.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do. 2004/04/05 15:12:22 (permalink)
    lleechef,
    Wow does that sound good.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6797
    RE: I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do. 2004/04/05 16:22:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by howard8

lleechef,

It is a little time consuming, I have to admit (us chefs are maniacs) but the end result is lovely.......a nice piece of roasted poblano, the chilled salsa, the hot fried oyster, the cilantro mayo......I used to serve 4 of them on a plate with a fried yellow tortilla cup with half cilantro mayo and half chipotle mayo for dipping. Yum!
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: I don't know why I did it. Actually, I do. 2004/04/05 16:48:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
    Originally posted by howard8

lleechef,

It is a little time consuming, I have to admit (us chefs are maniacs) but the end result is lovely.......a nice piece of roasted poblano, the chilled salsa, the hot fried oyster, the cilantro mayo......I used to serve 4 of them on a plate with a fried yellow tortilla cup with half cilantro mayo and half chipotle mayo for dipping. Yum!

That does sound good. I was only doing six, as it turns out after I opened the container, and doing them for myself. I would like to try your recipe in the future to impress someone. LOL!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1