I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh 2006/09/17 05:27:44 (permalink)
If you're on Oakland Park Blvd go east to Peter Pan Diner, it's well worth the trip>

John
Jaybomb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh 2006/09/21 23:23:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

The Mayor speaks wisdom. Heed it. It is not a question of whether you like it or not. You try it and respect it. Primanti Brothers would not stay in business unless there was a large dedicated following. Some foods become institutions that go beyond taste, or people simply acquire the taste. In this case it defines Pittsburgh and no one else has it. I cannot explain why a Minnesotan would eat lutefisk but gag on grits. The most extreme thing I tried was corn fermented and brewed Chicha in a shared gourd at a dirt floor bar in a Bolivian Andes Mountain village. But I drank the foul tasting drink with gusto and didn't complain and did so again when it circled around back to me. Look if Anthony Bourdain can sit on an Inuit kitchen floor and eat a raw seal eye and respect the natives, you can give Pittsburgh its due.

Edit: For the record, I have been to Primanti Brothers and sampled their fare. I enjoyed the idea of the whole meal on a sandwich.

No. You do not have to "respect" an institution that takes your money for poor goods and services. Anothony Bourdain does what he does to respect the good people that humbly aid him in his travels. This is a junky joint in Pittsburg that stays around because it's (Pitts) is populated.

People obviously eat at McDonalds, but it sure as hell doesn't mean McDonalds is either good or to be respected. Thank you.
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh 2006/09/22 15:29:24 (permalink)
I certainly mean no disrespect to DavyDD when I say: well said, Jaybomb. Very well put.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
RE: I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh 2006/09/22 16:01:34 (permalink)
Err, actually, this is a fairly poorly reasoned post

Primanti's, whether you like it or not, is a local institution revered for it's food. They do indeed have a large dedicated following. If another sandwich shop opens up down the street ALSO servng overstuffed sandwiches, few if any of these dedicated customers will make the switch.

McDonald's is neither local nor revered (by stockholders? maybe. foodies? not so much). The horde of people who go there go because the prices are cheap and the locations are all over, not because the food is great. They are not a "dedicated following" - if something just as good and as cheap and as easily accessible came along, they'd go there instead.

The two are not comparable. Sorry.

Jaybomb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh 2006/09/23 23:21:25 (permalink)
Yet you obviously have overlooked the most important portion: "respect". I don't "have to respect" an institution whatsoever that does nothing for me that I like, or rather, enjoy. This is two fold when it not only exists against my approval, but also makes money from me and others.

I'm not saying they don't have a right to exist, I am saying they (all anything) don't have inalienable rights to my (or anyone elses') respect. That concept is a retardation of many things that have nothing to do with one another.

I compare them to McDonalds because they do nothing I find remarkable. I wouldn't find McDonalds remarkable when it WAS a Primanti Bros. owned by the two McDonalds brothers. I still don't after Kroger mass marketed the terribleness to every corner on the globe. The only difference between the two are levels of success! Where else is your point?
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8659
RE: I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh 2006/09/23 23:30:08 (permalink)
You either find it good food or not-there are a million places all over the country with institutions such as Primanti Bros.-that is wonderful.You either like it or you dont.Here in Milwaukee I prefer Jakes corned beef to Benjis.People might throttle me for that but that is my preference.I personally would not like french fries ON my sandwich.Go,eat,enjoy and RESPECT that others do not find it palatable...
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1565
RE: I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh 2006/09/25 20:30:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybomb

Yet you obviously have overlooked the most important portion: "respect". I don't "have to respect" an institution whatsoever that does nothing for me that I like, or rather, enjoy. This is two fold when it not only exists against my approval, but also makes money from me and others.

I'm not saying they don't have a right to exist, I am saying they (all anything) don't have inalienable rights to my (or anyone elses') respect. That concept is a retardation of many things that have nothing to do with one another.

I compare them to McDonalds because they do nothing I find remarkable. I wouldn't find McDonalds remarkable when it WAS a Primanti Bros. owned by the two McDonalds brothers. I still don't after Kroger mass marketed the terribleness to every corner on the globe. The only difference between the two are levels of success! Where else is your point?

I understand. For instance, I would consider your post and empty space similar in the fact that nothing remarkable or useful is occurring in either one.
sunnyside up
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: I don't like Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh 2006/10/07 09:03:57 (permalink)
Do I hear a rimshot???
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1