I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast...

Author
RedJim64
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
2008/11/23 18:23:25 (permalink)

I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast...

...and I'm expected to drop it into the crock pot tomorrow morning when I get up (which is early!). But I have a dilemma: the last three roasts I did in the crock pot turned out drier than the Sonoran Desert. I need help here. How can I prepare a truly moist and lucious pork roast for dinner tomorrow?

16 Replies Related Threads

Pinky2
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/23 18:50:04 (permalink)
    I wouldn't do it in the crock pot. I would cook it with moist heat (water in the bottom of the pan, fatty side up) in the oven. Then you can brown it some at the end.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/23 19:38:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pinky2

I wouldn't do it in the crock pot. I would cook it with moist heat (water in the bottom of the pan, fatty side up) in the oven. Then you can brown it some at the end.

I concur.
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/23 20:21:36 (permalink)
    When I do my Lechon Asado, I first get the oven hot around 400 and roast fat cap up for about a half hour, then reduce to 325, tent just the meat with a piece of foil shiny side down. Baste exposed meat every 30 minutes. The inital heat braises the meat and helps keeps much of the fluid sealed in. Cook to 160 for slices or 190 for fork tender that the bone can be pulled out. Last shoulder that I did was just over 9 pounds and took about 6-7 hours to 190.

My daughter does similar except she does the searing the night before she goes to bed and reduces heat to around 200 and covers the entire pan with foil. The roast is ready not long after she gets home from work the next day. No basting and her's shreads like pulled pork. I know that she raises the heat when she gets home after removing the foil, but I'm not sure how long.

I should mention that we both pierce the meat all over and marinade at least 24 hrs before cooking and let the meat rest at room temp before cooking.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/23 20:43:01 (permalink)
    I do mine over indirect heat on my Weber charcoal grill, with soaked hickory chips on the coals. My roast is rubbed with garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. The drippings in the aluminum foil drip pan under the roast are then used to make a gravy for the meat, and for the roasted potatoes that I do in the oven.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/23 20:44:52 (permalink)

Jim,
    It would help us give better advice if you told us what 'type' of Pork Roast you are cooking?? Boneless Loin, Rib, Shoulder/Butt ? Each type will work better using techniques set up for that specific type of roast.
    I have done a Pork Loin (5+ lbs) in my slow cooker with a slice or two of bacon on the top and a pint of homemade AppleSauce poured over it about halfway thru the 5 hour cooking time. Cooked covered to keep the moisture in the crockpot.

We did a 16 lb Crown Roast of Pork on Friday. Seasoned lightly ane into a hot oven (450) for about 45 min then lower the temp to under 300 degrees for about 2 more hours. The outer edge and bone-covers are crispy and delicious and the center (the Pork Chop Part) is as juicy and tender and full of flavor as any Pork Roast I haver ever had!!! We cut this big roast into 6 sections (about 4 ribs to a section, and ate one on the spot...Had two more over the weekend and have three in the freezer for use next week.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1650
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/23 20:54:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Jim,
    It would help us give better advice if you told us what 'type' of Pork Roast you are cooking?? Boneless Loin, Rib, Shoulder/Butt ? Each type will work better using techniques set up for that specific type of roast.
    I have done a Pork Loin (5+ lbs) in my slow cooker with a slice or two of bacon on the top and a pint of homemade AppleSauce poured over it about halfway thru the 5 hour cooking time. Cooked covered to keep the moisture in the crockpot.

Oh man! Forget the crockpot, let's all go over to the mayor's! That sounds heavenly!
    We did a 16 lb Crown Roast of Pork on Friday. Seasoned lightly ane into a hot oven (450) for about 45 min then lower the temp to under 300 degrees for about 2 more hours. The outer edge and bone-covers are crispy and delicious and the center (the Pork Chop Part) is as juicy and tender and full of flavor as any Pork Roast I haver ever had!!! We cut this big roast into 6 sections (about 4 ribs to a section, and ate one on the spot...Had two more over the weekend and have three in the freezer for use next week.
    RedJim64
    Cheeseburger
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/24 07:16:07 (permalink)
    Thanks, Al, for the question inquiry...

The label on the package says it's a boneless Swift's Premium Pork Roast with up to a 25 percent solution of seasoned roast seasonings. And its trussed by a corded net.

Does this change anything anyone has offered by way of advice?
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/24 07:50:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RedJim64

Thanks, Al, for the question inquiry...

The label on the package says it's a boneless Swift's Premium Pork Roast with up to a 25 percent solution of seasoned roast seasonings. And its trussed by a corded net.

Does this change anything anyone has offered by way of advice?

The solution means that there is plenty of moisture added to the roast. It won't be dry as 25% of what you are paying for is added water. This also applies to holiday turkeys. Follow any of the previously mentioned suggestions. Do not put it in a crock pot, oven roast only.

mark

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/24 09:38:33 (permalink)
    I tryed one of those preseasoned pork roasts from Swifts and didn't care for it that much.
    Costco had them as a special, 5 dollar off coupon type deal.
    I did mine the conventional way in the oven, very low and slow to keep it moist. It was moist but that's about all I can say for it.
    I guess it may have been the institutional seasoning that I didn't care for.
    Yesterday I did a bone in shoulder pork roast, brined in cider and larded that turned out real well.
    I wish you better luck with yours. Chow Jim
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/24 10:07:04 (permalink)
    I made this for the family over the weekend and it was a big hit. I like the fact that it'a prepared a day ahead and just heated up for less than an hour. The sauce is especially good. If you don't care for fennel, just leave it out. pb

Ingredients
    1 boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston butt) I used one just over 7 pounds
    3-4 cloves garlic , minced
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaf
    1 tablespoon fennel seeds , roughly chopped
    2 large red onions , cut into 1-inch wedges
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil (if necessary)
    1 cup apple cider
    1/4 cup apple jelly
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Instructions
    1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Trim outer fat from pork, leaving 1/8-inch-thick layer. Combine garlic, pepper, salt, rosemary, sage, and fennel seeds in small bowl. Tie pork roast tightly into uniform shape. Rub with herb mixture.

2. Transfer to roasting pan and cook 3 hours. Scatter onion wedges around meat, tossing onions in pan drippings to coat. (If roast has not produced any juices, toss onions with oil.) Continue roasting until meat is extremely tender and skewer inserted into center meets no resistance, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. (Check pan juices every hour to make sure they have not evaporated. If necessary, add 2 cups water to pan and stir browned bits into water.)

3. Transfer roast to large baking dish, place onions in medium bowl, and pour pan drippings into liquid measuring cup, adding enough water to measure 1 1/2 cups. Allow all to cool 30 minutes, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.

4. One hour before serving, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Cut cold meat into 1/4-inch slices and overlap in large baking dish. Spoon fat layer off drippings (discard fat) and transfer drippings and reserved onions to medium saucepan. Add cider, jelly, and vinegar and bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to simmer. Spoon 1/2 cup simmering sauce over pork slices and cover baking dish with foil. Place in oven and heat until very hot, 30 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, continue reducing sauce until dark and thickened, 10 to 15 minutes (reheat mixture just before serving pork). Serve pork, spooning onion mixture over meat or passing at table.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/24 16:29:43 (permalink)

We avoid the pre-seasoned and water-injected roasts and birds as much as we can.

We have done the Pork Loin in the oven, again with Bacon and Caraway Seeds all over it (Czech Style). We do cover it with foil to keep it moist until the last 30 minutes or so when we Brown it uncovered. The Maple-Bacon strips not only add 'basting' but they sweeten the outer edge of the roast nicely.
    RedJim64
    Cheeseburger
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/25 07:57:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I tryed one of those preseasoned pork roasts from Swifts and didn't care for it that much.
    Costco had them as a special, 5 dollar off coupon type deal.
    I did mine the conventional way in the oven, very low and slow to keep it moist. It was moist but that's about all I can say for it.
    I guess it may have been the institutional seasoning that I didn't care for.
    Yesterday I did a bone in shoulder pork roast, brined in cider and larded that turned out real well.
    I wish you better luck with yours. Chow Jim

Ours, last night, turned out much the same way. Odd odor given off when unwrapped to stabilize before going into the oven...overpowering seasoning upon tasting. Reminded me of a hopped up meat loaf instead of a pork roast. Unfortunately half of the roast is left for dinner tonight..." />
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/25 08:15:58 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about your roast, I guess it just wasn't my taste buds alone.
    What I did with the leftover over seasoned roast was to cube it up and poured some marinara sauce over it. I reheated it for some time, a little longer than normal. Then I served it over some of my favorite pasta with coupious ammounts of grated cheese. This took the curse of that foul tasting pork roast, for me anyway.
    My original meal was a clear case of the sides upstaging the entre. Thank goodness for salad, it clenses the palate. Chow Jim
    wookman8
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/25 08:32:36 (permalink)
    Good morning folks,

I'm a simple home cook and I do roasts the same way as my mom did for our family. I brown in a 450 oven (usually takes about 20 mins to 1/2 hour) then cook at 325 until done. Naturally I season first then add a quartered onion once I turn it down. Personally, with modern pork standards, I don't mind a bit of pink to the meat. I always make a gravy from the pan drippings as the meat is resting with some flour and cornstarch and enough water to take it into solution without lumps. I cook this in the roasting pan to ensure no "flour taste" and taste for seasoning, stirring and scraping up the fond. Defat and strain as your personal tastes desire. My favourite part of any roast is the leftovers when I will often make an open faced hot roast meat sandwich with homemade fries (gravy on the fries too ... hey I'm a Canuck ). One question I have for the posters: when you brine a bird or other roast, what effect will that have on the taste of the gravy? Thanks and enjoy your Thanksgiving my American friends.

Doug Guest

Oops ... forgot to mention that I also cover the roast after turning the oven down and adding an onion.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/25 09:25:34 (permalink)
    I have never brined a beef roast.
    Pork and poultry I now almost always brine.
    The cider brine for a pork roast makes a great gravey along with the pan drippings. I also make my own rack of onions carrots and sometimes celery to set the roast or bird on while roasting. This also makes a great contribution to the gravey. When I don't have cider for pork I do the water salt and sugar brine, also great for the end results. Chow Jim
    easy1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: I have a 3.5lb Pork Roast... 2008/11/25 09:37:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RedJim64

...and I'm expected to drop it into the crock pot tomorrow morning when I get up (which is early!). But I have a dilemma: the last three roasts I did in the crock pot turned out drier than the Sonoran Desert. I need help here. How can I prepare a truly moist and lucious pork roast for dinner tomorrow?

Not sure if it's boneless or not, but here's what I've done with good results.

Rub roast with salt/pepper/thyme, nothing fancy, just enough to season the roast. Wrap and tie strip of bacon over the entire roast, about 8-10 strips evenly distributed. Tie securely, and roast @ 325 for about 2 hrs, until meat thermometer reads just under 160, basting occasionally wiht the bacon drippings. Blast at 550 to crisp up the bacon, then let rest for 20 minutes. The drippings can be used to make a fantastic gravy, and the roast came out moist and full of that great bacon flavor.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1