I love a good local hamburger

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
The Human Vacuum
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2006/02/12 22:28:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by baughman

is gahanna the place were if u eat the 3 pnder beenie burger u get a T-shirt and name on wall? think u have to do it under 30 minutes tho. A competitive eater ate 3 in 22 minutes I believe last year. Was thinking of trying that place just to get a shirt.

No. The Beanie burger is just a one-third pound patty.

I don't think there is a time limit on the burger. It is the Double Beanie that has to be eaten to get your name/picture on the wall. I think there are two walls of fame in there. One for completing one and another for completing two. I haven't been back to get my picture up for doing the "triple double" but plan to in the near future.

The burgers there are EXCELLENT unlike most "big burger" joints.

If anyone is ever in central Ohio check the place out. A little hole in the wall that has great food.

Good Eatin'

mark
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18448
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2006/02/12 23:13:58 (permalink)
Hey, you're the guy that did it. Congratulations. I'm not a Beanie Burger fan. I favor the Academy Burger, but that's just because I don't care for cole slaw on my burgers.I look forward to seeing you picture, and I hope someday to be able to have a beer with you at the Grill. Of course, I'll eat you under the table.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2006/02/12 23:24:33 (permalink)
In my neighborhood, I've always been partial to Wimpy's.

http://www.triangle.com/cgi-bin/trianglecom/dining/search_restaurants.cgi?restaurant_id=428
The Human Vacuum
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2006/02/12 23:30:42 (permalink)
quote:

Hey, you're the guy that did it. Congratulations. I'm not a Beanie Burger fan. I favor the Academy Burger, but that's just because I don't care for cole slaw on my burgers.I look forward to seeing you picture, and I hope someday to be able to have a beer with you at the Grill. Of course, I'll eat you under the table.

I love my beer and my burgers but I don't frequent the place. That was the only time I ate there and had never seen the "beanie" until that day. Some members of the local media wanted me to do it so I did. I was impressed with how good it/they actually were. I may hit them up here again soon.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18448
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2006/02/12 23:40:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by The Human Vacuum

quote:

I love my beer and my burgers but I don't frequent the place. That was the only time I ate there and had never seen the "beanie" until that day. Some members of the local media wanted me to do it so I did. I was impressed with how good it/they actually were. I may hit them up here again soon.

I don't frequent the place, either. But I do stop in for a burger and a beer occasionally.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2006/02/13 01:30:32 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by baughman

ok here is story off of AICE website.
Quote:
2 pound double Beanie Burger Challenge- Gahanna, OH

The hamburgers are legendary. The signature Beanie Burger is named after the short order cook/creator who grilled the first one. It is a 1/3 lb. thick patty with fried onions, homemade slaw, a landslide of pickles, lettuce and tomato. Eat every bite of a double Beanie Burger on site to earn a Gahanna Grill T-Shirt and your photo on the Beanie Burger Hall of Fame.

Gahanna Grill Article August 2005: Gahanna man eats his way to second-place contest finish

Congratulation to Mark Lyle- "The Human Vacuum" -He ate three, 2-pound, double-patty "Beanie Burgers" in 22 minutes. For accomplishing such a feat that had never been done in that amount of time, according to a waiter, Lyle made the Grill's Wall of Fame and received a t-shirt.

(added 8/2805)

not sure how u guys put box around it since it a quote from the site. not to comp literate.

Yes, I read that. The place is just around the corner from me and I never heard about that.

I am curious, Mr. Hoffman. You are a person who is ready, and apparently excited about, calling someone else a fool when they post about something that you think you know more about (though it has been shown that in many cases you have been wrong). Here is a case where you do not know what is happening food-wise even in your home town!!

How much other stuff you post here is simlarly uninformed? As you are so ready to criticize others?

[Please Moderator Person -- this is an objective question, not a flame.]
wingandaprayer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/13 15:48:58 (permalink)
Lately, I've been getting the best burgers in Southern Arizona on the border. Try the Bacon, Cheddar and Green Chile burgers at: Zula's Restaurant in Nogales, AZ
Turquoise Valley Golf Club Restaurant in Naco, AZ
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6387
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/14 14:02:49 (permalink)
My question to you all is:

Grilled or Fried??? Your local good burger joint are the burgers grilled or fried?
Which do you like best?

My local diner (O'Ryans Restaurant, Dillsboro, Indiana) frys his burgers, and they are wonderfully messy and DELICIOUS.
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/14 14:11:18 (permalink)
Hello All,
Cajunking, good observation!
Most of the best in my locality fry their burgers as well.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Ev1L
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/14 20:50:23 (permalink)
In and out is the ultimate in decadent fast food burgers.

My daughter used to help me make the 'ultimate burger' which was pretty much whatever combination of ingredients I had handy to season it all properly and make something I thought was a good assault on the palate (fresh bun, seasonings mixed into the ground meat, separate condiment layers, klaussen pickles, etc). They were really good.

Not a chef, but I am very finicky. If you have problems with computers and cell phones, I am the person to go to. I'll share my home brewed recipes as long as my daughter thinks I am the master chef.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3153
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/15 07:10:02 (permalink)
Mark, you sir may have the ultimate Roadfood posting name. (The Human Vacuum) Congratulations on your imaginative moniker.
tinkerbell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/21 04:31:48 (permalink)
My current is the spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich from Hardee's.I was searching google for some burger recipies when I saw this microsite for it.
[URL='http://www.spicybuffalo.com/hardees'][/URL]
guacshorts
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/26 14:46:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

Burgerville, in Oeron and Washington, serves only Pacific Nothwest beef. The burgers are tastey.

Agreed, and they have sweet potato fries. Yumm.
guacshorts
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/26 14:50:00 (permalink)
Anybody eaten at the Chuckbox in Tempe, AZ? There used to be one up in Scottsdale as well. Talk about western/cowboy flavor, whoa! When you leave the place you smell like woodchips and char-grill. Literally. Imagine wagon wheels, water barrels, all dark brown wood everywhere, planks, jail-sized holes for windows, and a condiments bar.
kantonburg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/26 17:41:19 (permalink)
We have a local butcher shop (Todd's) here in Buena Vista that we have coined at the electrocuted burger. You guys may have seen this contraption before but it's basically a hot griddle that gives the burger a positive and negative charge and it cooks in literately in 10-15 seconds. Best burger in town. Having quality beef of course is the biggest reason. Awesome place.

I just found this forum today. I'll be spending some time here. Great place!
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/03/27 06:37:22 (permalink)
kantonburg, welcome to this site. i'm up in luray, where is todd's located? is it a good all around butcher shop?

thanks, doug
steveindurham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/04/02 09:50:47 (permalink)
Wimpy's -Durham, NC
Char Grill - Raleigh, NC
Press Box - Charlotte, NC
M&K -Granite Quarry, NC (Mustard, chili, onions and barbecue slaw)

Wimpy' sand M&K grind their own meat daily.
Bob in Cary
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/04/04 09:42:13 (permalink)
Wimpy's is my favorite. For local chains I prefer a CookOut burger "cookout style". The chili, mustard, onions and slaw travel better than lettuce and tomato. I've also had good luck with the burger "all the way" at Allen and Son in Pittsboro. Tell them you're willing to wait for a fresh one as during busy times they have started cooking them ahead.
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/04/04 09:54:57 (permalink)
In Dothan,Alabama,the best local burger is the " BOOMER BURGER " from MRS.BOOMER'S .

http://www.mrsboomers.com/index.html

It's one of the best hamburgers in the SOUTH !
NoreeneMc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/04/04 11:42:35 (permalink)
In East Peoria, IL is a great little place called the Burger Barge. FANTASTIC burgers! If ever around there you gotta stop off and visit and try one of those wonderfully huge and messy dripping goodies!
NoreeneMc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/04/04 11:51:27 (permalink)
I forgot to mention my all time favorite burger joint. That has to be C.F. Penn Hamburgers in Decatur, Alabama on Moulton Street. C.F. Penn's has been there since I was but a wee one (I am 42 now) so that place has many fond memories for me. I took my husband there a few years back and he never understood why I raved so much about a little hamburger from Alabama until he tried one. It only took one burger from there to get him hooked!

I can't wait to get back to Alabama for my Penn's Hamburger!
JAKE91
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/04/17 14:54:06 (permalink)
ATTENTION NASCAR FANS:
ABOUT 2 MILES FROM POCONO RACEWAY IN LONG POND,PA., ON RT. 115 IS MURPHY'S LOFT.

BEST BURGERS YOU WILL TASTE ANYWHERE.
OH, AND BY THE WAY, THEY HAVE A CEMENT POND IN THE BACK IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A DIVE!
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/04/17 15:43:10 (permalink)
Jake, I STILL wish that you would stop SHOUTING, but I am personally always happy to see a "Burger" thread revived and/or continued (I simply LOVE burgers) .

My favorite local burger is the one my wife cooks either in the kitchen or on the back-yard grill (personally, I prefer her cast-iron-skillet creations).

We will NOT eat in so-called fast-food restaurants (for personal and for health reasons), but on some rare occasions, we WILL patronize Red Robin (is RR fast food??).

NO ONE can cook a burger better than my wife, and she uses an 80/20 mix of fresh ground chuck, fresh bakery hard rolls, cooked in an antique Lodge cast iron skillet with just a tad of bacon grease.

Glad you asked.

Now, PLEASE turn off the "CAPS" key.
Buckshot
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/04/26 09:23:27 (permalink)
I had a really great burger Saturday. Drove the '40 Ford coupe to Jefferson, Texas to the annual "Outlaw Nationals" car show and ate at "The Hamburger Store". Best burger that I've had in a long while. Tried sweet potato fries for the first time and really liked them!

Buckshot
jewelrygirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/05/04 05:11:58 (permalink)
Love the following..
Burger Joint in NYC
Any burger at Houstons restaurant
My latest fave is a new place called Mooyah Burgers and Fries
Last but not least, my own..Burgers stuffed with a cream cheese jalapeno then grilled, topped with MORE cheese!
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/05/04 06:30:55 (permalink)

Now here is a burger that should be the benchmark for what we are talking about. Chocolate malts are important too.
This photo was taken at Island Burgers in NYC on 9th AVE.

mark
JAKE91
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/05/04 15:07:44 (permalink)
I like that 9 th. st burger. Only thing that does not belong on a "real" burger like that is ketchup.YUK!
The real slice of tomato would do just fine.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/05/05 01:26:50 (permalink)
I'm going to have to get out and hunt a good burger soon. There was one here that closed that served a tasty double meat, double cheese, jalapeno burger. I'll hunt for another.
kitty and dale
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/05/05 23:30:11 (permalink)
Southeast Michigan has three of the best burger places anywhere, give 'em a try:
In Ann Arbor there is Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger - http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2006/04/13/TheStatement/Best-Burgers.Blimpy.Burger-1847555.shtml
Then go down Washtenaw Ave. to Ypsilanti and The Sidetrack Bar and Grill - http://www.sidetrackbarandgrill.com/
Keep heading east to Dearborn and Miller's Bar - http://detroit.citysearch.com/review/5180532
You will not be disappointed at any of them.
Anybody been there? When Michael and Jane are in Ann Arbor, they should try all three.
Dale
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: I love a good local hamburger 2007/05/07 16:04:32 (permalink)
In the interest of good reporting, I attempted the biggest hamburger on the menu at Noah's Ark here in Bacliff, Texas. It had several good tasting patties on it, cheese, bacon, fresh lettuce, onions and tomatos. The bun was good and fresh. I had to assault that monster with a knife and fork, there was just too much of it to pick up and bite. I think they claim it to have a pound of meat on it. I ate around a third of it and brought the rest of it home.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1