I made Brunswick stew this week

Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2004/11/12 19:43:49 (permalink)

I made Brunswick stew this week

Ok everyone........... my wife mentioned to her brother she would like him to make brunswick stew sometime soon. now I know how my wife thinks so I took the hint and made a pot Sunday night and have let it sit in the kitchen all week before having any myself. DAMN it was worth the wait..LOL

I haven't made any in a year and it was worth the wait.

Dennis in Cary

23 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2004/11/12 21:29:26 (permalink)
    I sure hope you stored it in the fridge for the week...
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2004/11/13 12:50:11 (permalink)
    I sure hope so too!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2004/11/30 01:27:51 (permalink)
    Could I impose upon you to post the recipe in the recipe section? I've never made it, and want to, so I might as well use a fellow Roadfoodie's version.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/23 00:22:12 (permalink)
    To make my stew I start with leftover BBQ pork and chicken. Take the bird off the bone and put aside with the pork. Take as many types of veggies as youlike and add them to a pot with a good amount of stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Make sure to put plenty of peeled, diced raw potato, plenty of black pepper and crushed, red pepper. After bringing to a boil, add the pork and chicken, reduce the temp, cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring to keep the veggies from sticking. The secret is using left over BBQ pork and chicken.

Dennis in Cary
    queenb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/23 01:21:46 (permalink)
    I like to put a bunch of corn in mine, too. But never, never, Lima beans; they add those in North carolina and it's just too weird for me.

I've been to a few outdoor whole-hog barbecues where they pit cook the hog all night, and one time there was an old couple there who took the hog's head (well washed, but still...) and boiled the meat off, added chickens and rabbits,picked all the meat out and then added corn, tomatoes, potatoes and spices in a big black kettle that looked like a witch's cauldron. When I saw that ugly hog head going into the pot, I swore I wouldn't be eating any of it. But when the aroma of that stew arose, I quickly changed my mind. Best Brunswick stew ever!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 02:49:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

To make my stew I start with leftover BBQ pork and chicken. <snip>

Dennis in Cary

Into the database this has gone. Thank you for posting it, and I'll let you know how it comes out.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 02:53:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by queenb

took the hog's head (well washed, but still...) and boiled the meat off... When I saw that ugly hog head going into the pot, I swore I wouldn't be eating any of it.

That's one of the delicacies off the hog, is the head meat. I used to talk my neighbors into giving me the hogshead(s) when they'd be butchering. Oh man the tacos I would make with that meat! I don't get hogsheads anymore because I'm living in a primarily Mexican town, and they don't waste anything.
    queenb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 05:01:13 (permalink)
    I agree, enginecapt; I was very glad that I broke that promise. If you were to offer to make some hog's head brunswick stew today, I'd be first in line to get some. It was just kind of a shock at the time; I was about 20 years old and had never actually seen a freshly butchered hog before, at least not with the head still on!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 05:15:31 (permalink)
    Last week i had a big can of Castleberry's Brunswick Stew that i brought from SC. Not bad at all.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 08:43:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

Last week i had a big can of Castleberry's Brunswick Stew that i brought from SC. Not bad at all.

I can't eat that stuff Jeepguy, just can't do it.

Dennis in Cary
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 09:32:11 (permalink)
    My brother has a place down in Brunswick Co. NC, and was wondering if this is where Brunswick stew originated. It seems to be pretty ubiquious in the BBQ places and diners around him ( Oak Island, Shalotte, and Southport area).
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 10:10:58 (permalink)
    Tristan,

You have some choices. It's sort of like New England or Manhattan Clam Chowder. There is Brunswick stew from Maryland (using crab), Virginia(using ham), North Carolina (using BBQ) or Georgia (using all of the above plus chicken). It all depends on where you are and what you like.

I spent lots of time in Brunswick County, Georgia and I think I like that one best. By the by all the "Brunswicks" I know claim to have originated the stew.

BB
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 12:23:30 (permalink)
    I believe it was originally intended as a means to eliminate squirrels from the neighborhood...tastes like chicken.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 12:53:22 (permalink)
    Brunswick stew has been argued back and forth between Brunswick, GA and Brunswick (County?) VA forever, each claiming to have originated it. Best I ever had (other than my own, which incidentally won a recent cook-off ahem, but I digress) was from the Old Hickory House in Atlanta area. They have since closed but I got their recipe several years ago and began tweaking it from tank-car proportions to my usual 3 gallon recipe. Have had many attempts to refine this over the years and have gotten it to my liking. I use bbq pork and brisket and chicken as the base - about 3 lbs each. From there it's whatever mood I'm in.
    wilewil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 13:48:45 (permalink)
    What is the recipe?
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 17:09:23 (permalink)
    If I tell you, then I'd have to . . . . oh, you know.
    I'll see if I can dig it up. It's similar to my Elephant Stew recipe which is:
    1 elephant
    200 gallons of gravy
    2 rabbits

Kill and dice one elephant, place in a LARGE pot w/ gravy. Cook 3 days over a fire. Add rabbits carefully, because most people don't like hare in their stew.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 17:46:12 (permalink)
    The Kentucky version of Brunswick stew is called Burgoo. I have yet to find any difference other than name and perhaps the species of critter used to form the meat portion of the soup/stew. A whole bunch of veggies and scraps of various meats are 'souped' together for the better part of a day. Burgoo used to be the place where all the raccoon, possum/rabbit etc were cooked...but then it picked up on the Mutton based BBQ in Central KY and that added a flavor all it's own. I have enjoyed Bruswick Stew at several locations around the South, and Burgoo at some here in the Kentuciana area. Both make a great addition to a cold nights supper. I always start off my Moonlite BBQ dinners with at least a cup of their Burgoo. It is outstanding.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/24 19:05:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

Al, doesn't burgoo get some of the barbecue sauce added in? Didn't think that happened with brunswick...

Pogo, you know much better than I, but my experience has been just the opposite. I've only eaten "local" burgoo a handful of times up nawth, but it has never had a bbq sauce flavor. Brunswick Stew, on the other hand, has often (but not always) had that flavor. (Again, just my limited experience.)

Mr. Mayor, I also want to commend you for your great post. Couldn't have described it better myself.

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/25 20:33:45 (permalink)
    quote:

Bushie,
    Don't know that I am an expert in that by any means. My family makes what I refer to as a West Tennessee Church Stew which is in the general Burgoo/Brunswick family. This is the stew that the little Baptist church (where my Mom attended in her youth) would make in the fall for a "dinner-on-the-grounds". Cooked in cast iron pots over an open fire it is wonderful stuff. She still oversees the production of it at her current church as a fund-raiser every October. Still use the big iron pots, but now use gas for cooking. Everything I know about Brunswick or Burgoo comes from reading various recipes, which is what prompted my comment to Al above. I've never seen barbecue sauce listed as an ingredient in a Brunswick stew recipe, but I have in Burgoo recipes. BTW, for the record, the stew that my Mom makes uses chicken, beef & pork (not BBQ) and always includes tomatoes, onions, potatoes, green beans, purple-hull peas, lima beans, and lots of corn.

Dude, I would LOVE to try your mama's stew.

Just to clarify, I don't think that BBQ sauce is an "ingredient" in any of them. Most of the brunswick stew I've had has been at places in Georgia, and as far as I remember they've all been made with some kind of tomato base, so they have a more "bbq flavor". The burgoos I've had have been in Indiana/Kentucky, and I haven't detected any strong tomato flavor in those.

Probably would be best if I just stuck to commenting on those things I really know.
    prius
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/25 21:13:46 (permalink)
    Hey Jeepguy, us crackers don't eat that Castleberry stuff...we only make it to ship home with Yankees as souvenirs. Best Brunswick stew is generally at church, firemen or police events.
    YUM.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/26 17:33:23 (permalink)
    quote:

I'll find out a specific date from her, but it's usually the first weekend in October if you're in a traveling mood. It's a lot of fun to watch and help make. They do 5 or 6 big iron pots at this event so there's plenty of opportunity to help stir!

I'm good at stirring.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/26 19:02:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

I'll find out a specific date from her, but it's usually the first weekend in October if you're in a traveling mood. It's a lot of fun to watch and help make. They do 5 or 6 big iron pots at this event so there's plenty of opportunity to help stir!

I'm good at stirring.

I think Bushie is better at consuming

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: I made Brunswick stew this week 2005/01/26 19:23:32 (permalink)
    The Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels hold their annual BBQ picnic and whiskey tasting in Bardstown, Kentucky the sunday after the Kentucky Derby. It is a huge event with Colonels from all over the world attending. In addition to the Pork Chop Sandwiches and Pulled Shoulder and all the various side dishes, you can see several Giant "Witches Caldrons" (Those huge pots they used to show Cannibals cooking a couple of missionaries in, in those old jungle movies) They take 24 hours to create vast amounts of Burgoo for that Picnic. I have found whatever receipe they use it is a bit more "spicy hot" than most other Burgoo.
    You are right on the mark with your evaluation that the best of all comes from those old country churches and firemen's events.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1