Helpful ReplyI may have opened the door to another dimension . . .

Author
lewinp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2011/07/11 13:06:12 (permalink)

I may have opened the door to another dimension . . .

I'm a US expat living in Switzerland, and had a burger moment on July 4th that is either ground breaking or horrifying. I had all my ingredients - a nice English cheddar, Swiss beef (which is excellent by the way), Heinz spicy catchup and a good dry rub, and two good rolls. After preparing everything and getting the grill going, I discovered that the rolls I bought were mislabeled, they are actually what's called apfletasche, which is German for an apple turnover - think of it like a really good McDonalds hot apple pie.

I was determined to have my sandwich, and with no other bread in the house (and no Amercian neighbors to offend) I gave it a try - I left off the spicy ketchup, but put the beef and cheddar cheese right on top of the hot apple pastry. I have to say the combination was delicious, the salty beef offset the sweet apples, and the cheddar cheese seemed to work with both.

Feel free to weigh in, I know many purists will be horrified at the thought of this, but I liked it so much I've made it a second time. Anyone else experiment in this area?
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:I may have opened the door to another dimension . . . 2011/07/11 13:20:49 (permalink)
I'd give it a taste test, but the idea of a burger resting on top of an apple turnover...hell I can't stand the cheese alone on pie as some do!!
moneypenny27
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
Re:I may have opened the door to another dimension . . . 2011/07/11 13:53:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Sounds good. I am a pie a cheese girl myself
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:I may have opened the door to another dimension . . . 2011/07/11 15:32:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
To me, using a sausage patty instead of the ground beef (but still include the cheddar) would be perfection.  I suggest this since pork and apples are natural go-togethers.  The problem here would be getting a "really good McDonald's apple pie".
Couchman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:I may have opened the door to another dimension . . . 2011/07/11 15:37:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I make a "donut burger" consisting of kobe beef, extra sharp cheddar, thick cut bacon and grilled krispy kreme donuts for buns - and like you said, the contrast of the sweet and savory come together to form a magical combination.  At first I was a little taken back by the idea, but one bite and I was hooked.   
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10329
Re:I may have opened the door to another dimension . . . 2011/07/11 16:28:27 (permalink)
I give you the Krispy Kreme Donut Burger!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dpKqLatPdw
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10329
Re:I may have opened the door to another dimension . . . 2011/07/11 16:31:54 (permalink)
And then there's "The Luther Burger":
 Where Did The Luther Burger Come From?
The creation of the Luther Burger is a bit of an urban legend but it is widely accepted that it was invented at Mulligan’s bar in Decatur, Georgia on a day when the cook ran out of hamburger buns and decided to use two donuts instead.
Its creator named the sandwich ‘Luther Burger’ after R&B legend Luther Vandross, who reportedly enjoyed the sandwich; some rumors claim that Vandross himself invented his namesake burger. The Luther burger name has stuck since then but the creation is also referred to as the Donut Burger.
The owner of Mulligan’s bar, Chandler Goff, has sold the rights to the Luther Burger to the Atlanta Braves baseball team, who will begin selling them in 2006 or 2007. So only the Atlanta Braves can sell a burger named Luther Burger.
Some versions of the Luther Burger are made with two donuts, at other times a single donut is cut in half and grilled after the meat has been cooked separately; the donut halves are placed around the meat glazed-side-in and the whole sandwich is flattened on the grill and cooked briefly to allow for somewhat less messy consumption. They often include cheese and/or bacon, but normally no vegetables or condiments.
A smaller baseball team in St. Louis, the Gateway Grizzlies, have just started serving their own version of the Donut Burger on game days and claim that for $4.50 you get dinner and desert all in one go. Marketed as “Baseball’s Best Burger” the burger has proved a hit with fans and has played a critical role is supporting the clubs finances
FOOTNOTE: I saw somewhere that Mulligans Bar has Closed. 
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/07/12 15:20:52
lewinp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:I may have opened the door to another dimension . . . 2011/07/12 14:26:52 (permalink)
Nice idea, there is actually a British baker here who sells savory pies like Sheppard's pie, beef & kidney, they have a great pork & apple pie!

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7051
Re:I may have opened the door to another dimension . . . 2011/07/15 19:32:45 (permalink)
I have to admit I find it both ground breaking and horrifying but mainly hilarious.  Takes a lot of determination to put a burger on an apple turnover!  And yes, I would try it....but only once.
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1