I met Charlie

Author
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
2003/11/10 11:39:53 (permalink)

I met Charlie

Not even sure this is worth sharing, but I very briefly met "Charlie the Butcher" yesterday, as in the Charlie the Butcher beef on weck restaurant in Buffalo (it's reviewed on this site). Beef on weck, for the uninitiated, is a roast beef au jus sandwich on a kimmelweck roll (a salty roll with caraway seeds.) Very tasty, and unusual or perhaps unique to the Buffalo area.

Anyway, I watch Buffalo Bills games every week with about 400 other transplanted Western NYers at a bar in NYC. Charlie was on hand yesterday, in full uniform (see the review.) He has been kind enough to share his beef on weck recipe with the establishment, and they're now selling them on game day. It was so crowded there yesterday that I didn't get a chance to buy a sandwich, but will next week.

17 Replies Related Threads

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: I met Charlie 2003/11/20 21:15:46 (permalink)
    I have never had a beef on weck, but I think I need one. Anyone got a photo of one? Do they even exist outside of upstate NY?
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 09:14:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marberthenad

I have never had a beef on weck, but I think I need one. Anyone got a photo of one? Do they even exist outside of upstate NY?

I live about as far away from beef-on-weck land as possible. A few years ago I had the recipe and made myself it at home. Didn't have weck, but substituted toasted rye. It was very good!
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 09:37:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

Not even sure this is worth sharing, but I very briefly met "Charlie the Butcher" yesterday, as in the Charlie the Butcher beef on weck restaurant in Buffalo (it's reviewed on this site). Beef on weck, for the uninitiated, is a roast beef au jus sandwich on a kimmelweck roll (a salty roll with caraway seeds.) Very tasty, and unusual or perhaps unique to the Buffalo area.

Anyway, I watch Buffalo Bills games every week with about 400 other transplanted Western NYers at a bar in NYC. Charlie was on hand yesterday, in full uniform (see the review.) He has been kind enough to share his beef on weck recipe with the establishment, and they're now selling them on game day. It was so crowded there yesterday that I didn't get a chance to buy a sandwich, but will next week.

I'm wary of admitting this, Phil J, but speaking of Buffalo, my wife's roommate before we married 17 years ago was the sister of none other than Scott "Wide-Right" Norwood.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 10:00:50 (permalink)
    I-95
    Well !! That certainly explains a lot.
    i95
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 10:08:09 (permalink)
    I know, Al, and I'm truly sorry.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4538
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 10:45:57 (permalink)
    Al once personally emailed me. My life hasn't been the same since....
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 10:47:14 (permalink)
    For the Weck, you can cook some water and cornstarch to make a thin paste. Paint it very lightly onto the tops of unseeded kaiser or hard rolls. Quickly sprinkle coarse salt and caraway seeds on top and bake the rolls for a few minutes in a 350 oven, just until the salt and seeds are stuck. That's weck.

I spent a miserable 4 months last year commuting to Buffalo from my Home in CT. Flew up early Monday Morning, and flew back Friday nights. There's a Charlie the Butcher downtown near where my office was which made everything a little easier. It's also one of the few places where blue cheese dressing is not served with everything. I once observed a colleague put it on pizza...
    i95
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 11:05:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

quote:
    Originally posted by i95

quote:
    Originally posted by Phil J.

I'm wary of admitting this, Phil J, but speaking of Buffalo, my wife's roommate before we married 17 years ago was the sister of none other than Scott "Wide-Right" Norwood.

would this be your brush with not-so-greatness?

That and having my way with a drunk Pia Zadora in 1979.
    i95
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 11:46:28 (permalink)
    I'm trying to think of something fairly waggish to say here playing on the words "golden globes." Hmmmmm. Nope. I'm drawing a blank. Damn these Stalinis !
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: I met Charlie 2004/01/09 14:36:34 (permalink)
    quote:

Charlie the Butcher and Schwabl's are both reviewed in the NY section on Roadfood, but there's no pic .

I think I first heard of the beef on weck thru the Stern's syndicated column and have been salivating ever since. This site used to ship them ready-to-assemble, but I couldn't find it on there just now: https://www.buffalofoods.com/home.htm I never got around to ordering any.

I found a wings place in Houston that claimed to offer the sandwich and I went way out of my way to try it. It was terrible. My school cafeteria could make a better roast beef sandwich . I'm sure it was nothing like the original. But I showed them: I never went back to try their wings, either .
    anselmo1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: I met Charlie 2005/12/17 16:52:45 (permalink)
    Schwabl's in West Seneca, NY puts out an excellent beef on weck which is fresh carved. In the Western New York Area, Anderson's (known for soft ice cream) has been rated #1 for beef on weck for the last three years running. In Olean, NY, the Beef 'N Barrel Restaurant puts out an excellent beef on weck carved right in front of you. In addition on Main Street in Wellsville, NY, the Beefhaus Restaurant also puts out a terrific sandwich.

The key to a great beef on weck is fresh sliced slow cooked roasted beef, a quality kimmelweck roll, and of course fresh ground horseradish. German potato salad with a kosher pickle are the perfect sides.
    foodfan1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: I met Charlie 2006/05/23 23:19:14 (permalink)
    on kind of a related thread, if you guys are ever in Buffalo and want to hit a cool bar for a Beef on Weck, check out a place called Barbills over in East Aurora, best Beef on weck I've ever had, and a varied selection of wing styles as well.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: I met Charlie 2006/05/24 19:53:38 (permalink)
    quote:

I know its an old post, but had a bug up my butt to look for one!
    http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/beefonweckkumme.shtml

http://www.lorrainebartlett.com/llb/photos/p.beef.2.jpg

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18272
    RE: I met Charlie 2006/05/24 21:00:19 (permalink)
    WCHS? Hey, I was once the news director at WCHS Radio and WCHS Television. That was in the '60s.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7687
    RE: I met Charlie 2006/05/24 22:01:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

WCHS? Hey, I was once the news director at WCHS Radio and WCHS Television. That was in the '60s.

The 60's!!!" /> I was still in diapers!
    Jeez....How old are you???!!!!!
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: I met Charlie 2006/05/24 22:04:04 (permalink)
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: I met Charlie 2006/05/24 23:31:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The 60's!!!" /> I was still in diapers!
    Jeez....How old are you???!!!!!

Uhm, Maybe how YOUNG are you would be better..
    Yah.. Enquiring minds wanna know!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1