LockedI miss the firearm thread...

Author
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 632
2013/03/05 16:30:30 (permalink)

I miss the firearm thread...

I recognize the reasons it was shut down, and it certainly isn't "roadfood", but it qualified as "off topic" and I very much enjoyed it.   Reading and commenting on hunting trips, destinations, chow along the way, how to cook wild game, and generally enjoying the out of doors and the shooting sports and equipment always will be very "American" and certainly very mainstream...very entertaining, and excellent comraderie.  

it's a shame it had to be shut down for political reasons...perhaps someday when people can respect the terms of service and rules of the board, it could return...

That being said, anyone have a good pheasant breast recipe?  I took a few on a recent hunt and am thinking about something "different" besides the usual wild rice - mushroom treament.  (not that there's anything wrong with that)

17 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/05 16:50:11 (permalink)
    I'll be damned! I had no idea it was locked. Mr. Mayor stated in the last post that it might be unlocked and I hope that will happen.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/05 16:53:46 (permalink)
    Here's one from the New York Times:

Breast Of Pheasant With Sour-Cream Sauce

Ingredients
    4 boneless, skinless pheasant breasts, about 1/3 pound each Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 2 teaspoons paprika 2 teaspoons butter 1/2 cup finely chopped onions 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried 1/4 cup dry white wine 1/3 cup heavy cream 1/3 cup sour cream

Preparation
    1.Sprinkle the breasts with salt, pepper and paprika.2.Melt the butter in a heavy nonstick skillet large enough to hold the pheasant breasts in one layer. Add the breasts and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Turn the breasts and cook for 3 minutes more. Add the onions and thyme. Stir and cook until the onions are wilted. Add the wine to dissolve the brown particles that cling to the bottom of the pan. Continute cooking until most of the wine evaporates.3.Add the heavy cream and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the sour cream, blend well and bring to a boil, stirring until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings and serve very hot.
    YIELDFour servings
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/05 17:03:45 (permalink)
    Well, I don't know why it was locked because I wasn't reading it but I love game meat and would love more recipes like this. My husband grew up in rural Louisiana and hunted and ate many kinds of meat including squirrel, nutria and alligator. When his Mom died we went down to a relative's delicious wild duck gumbo. The meat on the duck was almost black in color. I think teal ducks?
    Anyway, I would love new game recipes!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/05 17:05:49 (permalink)
    I'm just thinking that the tread got to be too big and all over the place. Not a gun person, it was interesting but just too all over the place.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/08 15:21:00 (permalink)
     I miss it also. It was a fun place to bridge the gap between eating, hunting, and firearms. ...Three of my favorite activities. Unfortunately some folks (just a couple, mind you, seemed to be determined to turn it into a political debate. If those few would butt out of the main thrust of the thread we would try it again. .. but according to the behavior we have noticed, they are merely awaiting for the rebirth so they can point out the 'uncivilized' behavior of those who enjoy the hunter/provider role in the food-chain. 
    That said, we will have a bit more patience and then see if we can re-open the thread in the near future. Jan and I are headed out for a Bison/Elk & Hog hunt this summer and are itching to try out some new arms that we have a right to bear....  I have already named the Bison that I will seek out, and will christen HIM when I see his lumpy mangy head hit the ground !!! 
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/08 16:58:22 (permalink)
    That's not at all what the problem was with the firearms thread. The problem was the pro-gun people who used the thread as an opportunity to press their pro-gun political viewpoints, which triggered opposing viewpoints. Had the thread participants kept to the non-political aspects of the sport and hobby of guns and shooting, there never would have been a problem.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/08 19:13:53 (permalink)
    That is correct, Bruce, There were those on both sides of the issue who led us away from the main concept of the thread.  Hopefully next time B O T H viewpoints will not leap into print.  It would help if those with no interest in anything but the 'politics of firearms' would avoid leaping onto their keyboards.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7019
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/08 19:38:10 (permalink)
    This is why we gave The Mayor in Mobile "The Patience of Job" award.  He has to put up with us day after day.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8490
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 01:49:13 (permalink)
    Well, I had the opportunity to have some of what the damn firearm link had to offer-Al and Janets sausage! Best I ever had! And THAT is my comment on the subject of  guns.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 04:45:33 (permalink)
    Annie, Thanks, There is nothing a hunter appreciates more than a compliment about the results of his/her activity.

porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 08:47:06 (permalink)
    I am a very pro-gun guy. Here in Georgia,, I'm fairly active in organizations that work to protect ALL our rights under the constitution and I take advantage of my concealed carry permit just about every time I leave the house. To think that a thread about firearms can go on these days without a few comments that intrude on the sensibilities of some is naive. To me, the main thrust of the thread wasn't so much the hunting aspect, or reporting what animal was shot from someone's back porch, or the cooking of the game, but rather a show & tell by The Mayor and others. I say bring it back, but allow (within reason) discussion of pertinent developments in the area of gun-control. Quit treating us like children and get real. What's the worst that could happen? If a heated exchange breaks out....so what?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8490
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 09:55:51 (permalink)
    Well, porkbeaks, it was a show and tell indeed. But my enjoyment of the thread was what the show and tell aspect did with their show and tell. Regardless, the thread should not have disappeared.....
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 09:59:16 (permalink)
    We've been down that road many times before, and learned that such discussions are counterproductive to the aims of this website.

Edit to add: I'm talking about the heated political exchanges that porkbeaks is referring to, not the gun thread specifically.
    post edited by Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle - 2013/03/09 10:01:52
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 11:04:39 (permalink)

We've been down that road many times before, and learned that such discussions are counterproductive to the aims of this website.

That may very well be, but I can't see where allowing a thread about firearms could be considered a "productive aim"; especially a thread that has been protected against "uncomfortable" commentary.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 11:23:20 (permalink)
    Well, you know how much we treasure comfortable commentary. Why, just imagine how uncomfortable it would be for a vegan to have to read about a green chile cheeseburger, let alone have to look at a photo of one. That's why green chile cheeseburger threads get locked.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 11:58:18 (permalink)
    Well that about says it all ...again.
    Lock this one up too.  Either we keep the Pro/Anti debate out of the thread(s) or we don't keep'em on the site.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    Re:I miss the firearm thread... 2013/03/09 14:22:52 (permalink)
    I am very curious about who locked it?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

PAUL-  I DID...AL
    post edited by mayor al - 2013/03/10 07:11:23
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1