I want some bbq'd chicken advice.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
2011/05/27 23:09:53 (permalink)

I want some bbq'd chicken advice.

I want that deep bbq'd chicken taste, with the crispy skin and the soft flesh and the smoky hint. My instinct says to do the bird as if it were a rack of ribs, low and slow over charcoal and wood chips. Any other suggestions?

30 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7769
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/27 23:24:14 (permalink)
    Are you putting it on the Egg?

For crispy skin let it air dry in the refrigerator for a day.  A couple hunks of hickory will give you enough smoke flavor... do not overdo.

You can not go wrong with this recipe:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
    Have fun with it!  Remember to let your lump burn clear before putting the food on to the grill.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10106
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 02:00:46 (permalink)
    Are you doing whole chickens, chicken parts, bone-in or boneless, marinated or not? The type of chicken determines the best cooking method.
    I use applewood for chicken, regardless of the type. It gives the meat a nice mellow smoke. IMHO, hickory, mesquite and other woods give it too harsh of a taste.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/05/28 02:02:37
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 07:51:31 (permalink)
    I agree with Foodbme use apple or cherry wood. And as Mar said don't overdo the wood or it completely overpowers the chicken.
    PS  Post pictures when you're done!
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2068
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 08:44:02 (permalink)
    The problem with 'low & slow' for chicken, it is easy too dry out the meat.    .... Pieces (quarters) at 225 -250 deg will be done in about 1hr to 1 1/2 hrs.    I use pecan wood ( 1 1/2 x 6 to 8 ") on charcoal.     .... If cooking the whole bird, you want to use indirect heat, with the breast toward the fire after a good browning.   This will help to keep the smaller sections from over cooking and drying.    ... This all is on a large home type grill.  
    .... You'll just have to try a few until you find what words for you and the grill you are using.   ....   Fruit wood gives a smokie sweet flavor; hardwood gives a 'hotter' smoke flavor.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 10:34:48 (permalink)
    Unless using a ceramic smoker.  The recipe I posted can also be used for pieces.

Here is a fabulous, semi-spicy basting sauce that you would put on the last 5 or so minutes.  You have to be careful with the sauce because anything with sugar in it burns quickly.  Just watch it.

Remember to burp your egg whenever you open it or you'll lose all of the hair on your arm and maybe your eyebrows as well.

Orange Sriracha Basting Sauce

1  --  18 ounce jar of Orange Marmelade
    1/3 cup honey
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup Sriracha Sauce

Mix, bring to a boil and remove from the heat.

That's it!

You could also use some other sort of berry jam, but I don't think strawberry works well in this one.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6175
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 11:37:56 (permalink)
    Mosca, for the quarters, direct heat for 5 minutes a side, keep it from flaming up, indirect heat for 30 minutes for the smoke infusion, then direct grilling turning before it flames too much, till a internal on the breast of 180. Oak is a universal good wood for smoking. Don't pre marinate, it will burn the chicken skin. Let the chicken rest in a marinade, the heat will help absorb the marinade, don't wrap in any foil.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 14:41:41 (permalink)
    Thanks, man, that's what I wanted to read. No go on the low and slow, no hickory, fruit woods or oak is OK, marinate afterward. I'm going to be doing ribs and chicken, so I'll do the ribs first, then wrap them to rest and do the chicken. I'll probably do halves.

Mar52, I would love that, but no one else would tolerate the Sriracha. Y'know what's notable about the egg burping, is that it is stressed so much that it was second nature for me before I even used the thing. Every time I lift the lid I lift, pause, wait a beat, then open.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 14:58:36 (permalink)
    Yes, I also use oak for an all purpose wood. I buy Jack Daniels oak barrel chips and do get great results no matter what I'm grilling.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 17:11:57 (permalink)
    mar52

Unless using a ceramic smoker.  The recipe I posted can also be used for pieces.

Here is a fabulous, semi-spicy basting sauce that you would put on the last 5 or so minutes.  You have to be careful with the sauce because anything with sugar in it burns quickly.  Just watch it.

Remember to burp your egg whenever you open it or you'll lose all of the hair on your arm and maybe your eyebrows as well.

Orange Sriracha Basting Sauce

1  --  18 ounce jar of Orange Marmelade
    1/3 cup honey
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup Sriracha Sauce

Mix, bring to a boil and remove from the heat.

That's it!

You could also use some other sort of berry jam, but I don't think strawberry works well in this one.

Mar, I came in second nationally, in the Pulled Pork category, on the Regis and Kelly show, 2 years ago, to some guy from Colorado, who used a sauce like that using Cherry preserves and Sriracha sauce, he liquified the cherries in the preserves. My Volcano sauce has 2 gallons of my Old Fashioned sauce, a 17 oz. bottle of Sriracha, and some cider vinegar, it's fantastic, especially on smoked Pork Belly!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/28 22:41:44 (permalink)
    Sriracha works magic!
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 10:42:51 (permalink)
    OK, you have convinced me to buy Siracha; it's probably the only major brand of hot sauce I haven't tried, and there are East Asian food markets all over my neighborhood, so it's certainly easy enough to get.

Here's my problem with barbecued chicken; getting the smoke flavor to penetrate the breast, especially for those who eat it without the skin (I cook with skin on, then remove it for those who don't want it, but I have discovered that I'm going to have to learn to smoke boneless breasts for grandchildren who will not touch chicken with bones).

Bart
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 11:54:42 (permalink)
    Here's what I did. I went to Wegman's and got 2 organic free range chickens, and since there was a butcher right there I asked him if he could please spatchcock them for me, which he gladly did. I took one and did the Cornell marinade on it; I took the other and coated it in a poultry rub, something commercial but not common, Big Jake's or something like that, and put it in the fridge uncovered (well, covered with paper towels; I'm not a barbarian, after all). Both methods call for 24 hour marinade/resting period; I'll do them both side by side and we'll see who wins!

The plan is, start the ribs, when they're done put the chicken on.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 12:41:09 (permalink)
    bartl
    Here's my problem with barbecued chicken; getting the smoke flavor to penetrate the breast, especially for those who eat it without the skin (I cook with skin on, then remove it for those who don't want it, but I have discovered that I'm going to have to learn to smoke boneless breasts for grandchildren who will not touch chicken with bones).
    Bart

Grilling skinless-boneless chicken can be tough, literally and figuratively. I suggest brining the chicken parts and/or injecting them with a light marinade. Brush often with marinade while cooking.
    Here's a recipe from Cooks.com using a different method:
    TENDER AND LIGHT GRILLED CHICKEN

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1/3 cup vegetable, peanut or olive oil
    2 tbsp. melted butter
    3 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    Note: If the marinade is made in the blender, 2 whole garlic cloves can replace the garlic powder. Heat grill to about 350-375°F.
    Combine all ingredients except chicken. Spray grill with non-stick spray or brush generously with oil. Arrange chicken breasts over indirect heat.
    Brush liberally with oil mixture throughout cooking (at least every 5 minutes until the last 10 minutes of cooking).
    Turn each piece over and brush other side. Grill until edges are browned and chicken is no longer pink in center (about 30 minutes, depending upon thickness of pieces).
    Serve on a bed of Romaine lettuce with a side of steamed rice (optional).

edwmax
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 14:59:30 (permalink)
    bartl

OK, you have convinced me to buy Siracha; it's probably the only major brand of hot sauce I haven't tried, and there are East Asian food markets all over my neighborhood, so it's certainly easy enough to get.

Bart

The smoke will penetrate, this is not a problem.   The longer on the grill and the heavier the smoke the more heavy the smoke flavor.   ,,, I have found even if you tightly rap the meat in tinfoil, the smoke will penetrate.   ... I cook chicken over charcoal with a piece of wood (pecan), it's done in about a 1hr.    Skinless breast should be just fine cooked this way.   Just take up when done and do not allow chicken to remain on a hot/warm grill. It will only dry out.    ... Another trick I use when cooking for a crowd (10 or 20 lbs), is to slightly under cook the chicken; then place in roaster pans with 1/2 cup of water (steam), cover with lid or foil; and heat before serving to 200 deg in an oven.  It will taste like it came fresh off the grill ... hot & juicy.        .... For me this is the time to baste with BBQ sauce or serve without and allow the guest to pour on his sauce (my preference).   I hate char'd BBQ sauce.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 15:35:21 (permalink)
    The ribs have been on since noon, I'm doing 3-1-1 (3 hours indirect at 250-275, 1 hour indirect wrapped in foil at 250, 1 hour direct heat at 250). I'm going to do the ribs the last hour in the oven at 250 (so sue me, 4 hours over char and cherry is plenty) and the chicken for 1 hour at 350, starting at about 4.
    edwmax
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 16:20:34 (permalink)
    ..... ??? .... low and slow, is cooking at 190/200 to 225 deg and holding at low temperature (like in a slow cooker) to tenderize the meat.     .... At 250 - 275 the ribs will be done less than an hour.    At 350, chicken will be done about 30 minutes.    ..... anyway .... good luck....
    post edited by edwmax - 2011/05/29 16:23:54
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 16:24:54 (permalink)
    I almost never bbq my own chicken once the weather warms up. Too many good church and firehouse chicken bbq's all over the place around here, most use the Cornell marinade. There's just something about that chicken with some Gramma Brown's beans and salt potatoes in a styrofoam box that really hits the spot.
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 18:13:40 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Mosca, for the quarters, direct heat for 5 minutes a side, keep it from flaming up, indirect heat for 30 minutes for the smoke infusion, then direct grilling turning before it flames too much, till a internal on the breast of 180.

Isn't an unbrined breast cooked to 180 likely to be dry?  That's been my experience, anyway.

Brad
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/29 21:37:58 (permalink)
    Ed, Brad, I took the temp for the chicken from The Naked Whiz, the web page referenced by mar52 in post 6; I got the temps for the ribs from many sites that reference the "3-1-1" method. I have to say, both came out fantastic, moist and flavorful. I used an instant-read thermometer on both, and trimmed the times by about 25% (2.5/.75/1 for the ribs, about 45 minutes for the chicken). I'm going to start a new thread for the pictures and the recap.

edwmax
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/30 10:52:28 (permalink)
    Mosca

Ed, Brad, I took the temp for the chicken from The Naked Whiz, the web page referenced by mar52 in post 6; I got the temps for the ribs from many sites that reference the "3-1-1" method. I have to say, both came out fantastic, moist and flavorful. I used an instant-read thermometer on both, and trimmed the times by about 25% (2.5/.75/1 for the ribs, about 45 minutes for the chicken). I'm going to start a new thread for the pictures and the recap.

Which website gave temps of 250 to 275 as you stated above.     From a quick search of the 3-1-1 method both of these 2 sites state 225 deg. http://wyntk.us/3-2-1-rib-method    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/01/pork-spare-ribs-preparing.html
    I don't know of any BBQ 'low & slow' Pit Master that advocates the smoker/grill temperature above 225.    .... Anyway, you liked your results and that is what counts.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/30 11:17:46 (permalink)
    ed, the BGE site itself says 325*! Here's one that says 250-275. 

Understand, I'm not disagreeing with you at all; any time I've ever done them on the gas grill, I've freaked when they've gone over 225. And with good reason; as we know, higher heat will give dried out ribs. If you read my other post, the one with the pictures, you'll see where I addressed this and hypothesized why everything came out pretty good. As I wrote, I don't think my results are indicative that my method is the best, but rather that the Egg is pretty forgiving of variances in method. I think if you were there, you'd find the result very good. Next time, I'll find out if lower heat + Egg gives even better results!

Cheers!

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/30 12:19:59 (permalink)
    When the BGE site tells you temperatures, the temps are that in the dome of the Egg.  At the grill they are slightly lower.

What matters is the end result and I think they look great.
    edwmax
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/30 12:40:00 (permalink)
    Ah ... but both directions above indicate start to finish to be about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs and nether is doing the 3-1-1 or 3-2-1 method at  5 hrs cooking time.     ... I was just surprised that you indicated directions for the 3-1-1 method at 250 - 275 deg.

The cooking temperature can be pretty forgiving, if you understand what is going on.  Your pictures show that, and you indicate the temperature fluctuated quite a bit.   Because the meat did not pull away at the end of the rib bone, the meat was not subjected to a high drying temperature, after "meat temperature" was above abt 170 deg.  Actually, you stated that temp was reduce to 200 deg.
    My BBQ tips:
    • meat (chicken, pork, beef) considered done at about 160 deg
    • But, gristle and connective tissue does not start breaking down until 180-195 deg.   ... If you are going to wrap with foil, this is when at about 150/160 and cook to 190 (my preference)
    • At about 195/200 deg, the meal will be falling a part. ... A 200 +, It will be doubtful any water moisture  will be left in the meat, just grease.
    • At these later stage of cooking the grill temp is not really that important; only the hotter the grill the less or longer time it takes the meat to reach the desired temperance.
    There is a separate debate among BBQ Cooks about the use of foil and the 3-1-1 methods.   Competition cooks want a deep penetration of the smoke ring and heavy smoke flavor, there fore they cook at low temperatures.  Also, I think it is about 140 deg meat temperature, smoking actually stops.  Again the reason for Slow & Low.

For Backyard, weekend cooks, I think using foil is just fine and will shorten the cooking time while retaining need moisture.  With practice, I think you will fine a high temperature after foiling is not needed.

... just my 2 cents, if it helps great   .... if not, at least you know how you want your Q.
    post edited by edwmax - 2011/05/31 13:24:49
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/31 04:54:53 (permalink)
    I've been mesmerized for years about the BGE and could never justify in my head the cost of buying one. The price just seems obscene! At my age, I've gone the simpler, easier, less stressful route of using a gas grill and because of the versatility of my grill, have been satisfied.
    But there's still that lingering thought in the back of my mind----Should I claim insanity and buy one???
    Here comes the emotional rationale--
    • I was thinking about buying a smoker but a BGE would serve that purpose.
    • The cost of Propane is skyrocketing.
    • The Diamondbacks could win the pennant and some of their players have one. 
    • None of the AZ Cardinals will have enough money to buy one so you could invite some of them over to watch College Football on Saturdays.
    • With only College Football to watch this fall, I'd only have to fire it up once, using 50% less charcoal!
    • My Bride really wouldn't kill me ---would she?
    Having spent considerable time on their web site, I learned about the Annual Eggtoberfest in Atlanta. Looks like a great party! Has anyone been there??
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggtober.html
    BGE supplies over 200 EGGS for the event and sells them at a discount afterwards. Anyone know how much they sell for??
    This would be a great place to go to see how you can use them to maximum use.
    Spectacular fare can range from moose kebabs (the result of a successful Maine hunt) and a roasted whole fresh Alaskan salmon (caught, brought and cooked by an Alaska EGG owner) to exotic breakfast dishes, peach cobblers, grilled pineapple, rum soaked apple cake, smoked turkey necks, barbecued meatloaf and many versions of the more traditional pulled pork, fallin'-off-the-bone ribs, spicy sausages, juicy beef brisket, crispy pizza and most any other food that you can imagine.
    For me, the cost of getting there is greater than the cost of an EGG---- and how would I get a 200# EGG in my Luggage?
    I see they also have Regional EGGfests around the country and in Canada but none planned for the Phoenix area at this time. They've had some here in the past.
    ATTENTION PITTSBURGH AREA ROADFOODERS!:
    There's a EGGfest planned in Zelienople on 7/30/2011! If you're an EGGer or not it might be worth a roadtrip get together for the Pittsburgh gang! http://hearthandhomepa.com/eggfest.php
    You'll be able to buy a Demo XL Big Green Egg with egg nest, daisy wheel damper, DVD and User Guide for only $996.40, Tax Incl. A $262.55 Savings!
    Regular Price = $1258.95 ----However, there are conditions for the sale. First come, First Served! See Below:
    http://hearthandhomepa.com/pdfs/eggfestDemo.pdf

I'm still waffling as you can tell so if any of you EGGer's decide to go to that Big EGGfest in the sky or wherever, and don't have room in the box to take it with you, don't forget to leave your BGE to me in your Will.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/05/31 05:17:27
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/31 12:28:23 (permalink)
    You can also watch Craigslist for used Eggs.  Some people actually sell them when they're moving.  Of course they buy a new one when they get where they're going.

Did you know that the AZ Cardinals cheerleaders only make $50 a game?  All that work for only $50.  My cousin's wife has made the cut for 3 years now and I don't get it.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/31 12:42:53 (permalink)
    mar52
    Did you know that the AZ Cardinals cheerleaders only make $50 a game?  All that work for only $50.  My cousin's wife has made the cut for 3 years now and I don't get it.

There's a Thesis in there somewhere for A Psychology Major--"Why do beautiful, scantily dressed women dance on artificial turf in front of 70,000 people and millions more on TV for a lousy $50 Bucks?" -a scientific study in the making!
    The Bidwell's, owners of the AZ Cardinals, are notorious cheapskates!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/31 12:59:36 (permalink)
    Exactly!  Also, once you've done it why do it over and over again for three years?  Bragging rights? 

EGO!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/31 14:01:33 (permalink)
    mar52

Exactly!  Also, once you've done it why do it over and over again for three years?  Bragging rights? 

EGO!

My guess is future opportunities...see: Anna Nicole Smith!

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I want some bbq'd chicken advice. 2011/05/31 16:26:08 (permalink)
    I tell you this: once you have one Egg, you find yourself wanting another one so that you can make a couple things at once. I REALLY want a medium or small so that I can grill veggies or something while I'm doing the main course. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1