The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer

Paddyboi

• Total Posts: 15
I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/5/09 9:25 AM (permalink)
I'm picking up a old travel trailer that is built like a tank. I want to convert into a Concession Trailer. Are there any Plans or Websites out there that I can use on this Project?

hermit

• Total Posts: 23
    Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/5/09 10:40 AM (permalink)
    I had briefly considered this myself. I decided against it after I thought about the time & hassles of ripping stuff out, re-paneling, etc. I viewed many that are for sale on craigslist, ebay, etc.

Another consideration - A nearby city allows carts / trailers downtown, but they cannot be homemade (or converted travel trailers).

When looking at existing "campers converted to concession trailer" for sale, I asked myself, "would I buy food from THAT?" My personal answer was probably not, as most of them looked really tacky. Like many people, I do not have the $$$ to buy a professionally built trailer, but I want something that looks decent that will draw customers in, not drive them away.

I bought the E-Z built hot dog cart plans & going to start with a small cart, then hopefully grow into a trailer that I will likely have built by a company.

E-Z built cart plans:
    http://hotdogprofits.com/

Company I may likely choose to build trailer:
    http://www.allacart.com/

I've not seen any plans for conversions. Just look at photos of existing stuff. The main thing is deciding where equipment would be set to make food prep / serving most efficient.
    <message edited by hermit on Thu, 11/5/09 10:41 AM>

FriedTater

• Total Posts: 414
      Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/5/09 11:15 AM (permalink)
      I`m with Hermit on this, old travel trailers look tacky as far as I`m concerned. Is it too late to turn around and go back home? Start over................presentation is the key. Look good, make money, be happy laughing all the way to the bank.

Rubok

• Total Posts: 95
        Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/5/09 12:03 PM (permalink)
        The old (and new ) Air-Streams look pretty good for the food thing.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1927
          Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/5/09 12:14 PM (permalink)
          Petunia's Silver Jalapeno in Chattanooga, Tennessee has done just that with a '70s vintage Silverstream trailer.  And they do a land office business.

http://www.petuniassilverjalapeno.com/

I'm sure Virginia Cofer (Petunia) or Laura Powell would be happy to field some questions from you.

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
            Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/5/09 12:31 PM (permalink)
            Been reviewed here on Roadfood before
            http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/3274/top-dog
            Or tv Surreal Gourmet
            http://www.bobblumer.com/
            <message edited by Curbside Grill on Thu, 11/5/09 12:34 PM>

waydeg

• Total Posts: 444
              Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Tue, 11/10/09 7:33 PM (permalink)
              The old Air Stream Bambi model is an ideal shell to start with. Unfortunatley, they are high maintenance (to keep shiney) and a used one starts at about $10k in serviceable condition. These are exstremely popular with the restoration crowd and go for $18k - $25k in like new condition, sometimes higher. The new models of this same size start about low $30k s
              You can buy one heck of a nice consession trailer for $25k

Gene's Dogs

• Total Posts: 719
                Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Tue, 11/10/09 8:56 PM (permalink)
                i know people who know people who have done this with much success
                <message edited by Gene's Dogs on Tue, 11/10/09 9:27 PM>

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                  Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Thu, 11/12/09 1:02 PM (permalink)
                  Links to commercial units.  If you're handy or have a construction background it should be easy to build a similar rig

http://www.cateringtruck.com/customunits.htm

http://www.cateringtruck.com/motionpictrucks.htm

olddude2

• Total Posts: 716
                    Re:I want to convert a old Travel Trailer in a Concession Trailer Fri, 11/13/09 12:24 PM (permalink)
                    spent many years on the state fair circiut on the mid way and have had concession stands from home built to $180,000 Outerbacher funnel cake joint, the more professional it looks the better you will do. you may be better off dstarting with a $400 dollar utility trailer base and build your own its not hard and will look much better than a converted travel trailer.
                    <message edited by PopsDogHouse on Fri, 11/13/09 3:29 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com