The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread:

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 147
Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 11:25 AM (permalink)
Tony Bad

Sonny Funzio

Since my return, I have posted a request for help with a technical issue that is making it tough for me to continue posting and have been roundly ignored by both Mods and any Admin's.  

Moderators do not have access to the inner working of the forum software, so we really cannot make the changes you request or even investigate why things work as they do. Sorry.

As to the comments about a lack of posts that are worth reading...something I hear/read quite often...this community is dependent on what the members contribute. There is no team of paid writers who are hard at work producing material for your enjoyment. As good old Aristotle said a couple of thousand years ago, you get out what you put in. Pretty simple concept.

So I guess there is no control as to the success or failure. Moderators cannot control the the temperament of the forum. Keeping threads on topic and fresh is not possible? Adding new and energetic Moderators wouldn't help either I guess....Russ

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 11:47 AM (permalink)
    Russ Jackson

Tony Bad

Sonny Funzio

Since my return, I have posted a request for help with a technical issue that is making it tough for me to continue posting and have been roundly ignored by both Mods and any Admin's.  

Moderators do not have access to the inner working of the forum software, so we really cannot make the changes you request or even investigate why things work as they do. Sorry.

As to the comments about a lack of posts that are worth reading...something I hear/read quite often...this community is dependent on what the members contribute. There is no team of paid writers who are hard at work producing material for your enjoyment. As good old Aristotle said a couple of thousand years ago, you get out what you put in. Pretty simple concept.

So I guess there is no control as to the success or failure. Moderators cannot control the the temperament of the forum. Keeping threads on topic and fresh is not possible? Adding new and energetic Moderators wouldn't help either I guess....Russ

Don't take out your frustrations on the Moderators. Their pay scale and job description don't require them to take responsibility for saving the world. They do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that no one ever hears about to keep the site on an upper plain despite some posters attempts to promote negativity.
    It's the responsibility of the posters, not the Moderators, to insure the success of the site. Keeping threads on topic and fresh is possible only if the members see to it that it happens. I'm as responsible for getting threads off track as anyone, but having a moderator PMing me every time I do so isn't going to improve my attitude toward the site. Take a lead from our beloved government - Constant intervention improves nothing---It makes it worse!
    Adding some new moderators might help lessen the workload of the current ones. Would you like to Volunteer?

Tony Bad

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 11:50 AM (permalink)
      Russ Jackson

I am not sure I get what you are expecting. To me it is the contributions of posters that make this or any forum interesting and worth reading, and in turn, a success or failure. The mods try to remove spam, address situations that violate forum rules, move misplaced posts to proper areas, etc. To me the best moderation is the kind you don't even notice. 

I would really like to know how you would have the moderators keep things on topic and fresh? Should we delete any and all posts that aren't in lock step with the threads title? Fresh? Again, in my opinion that is dependent on what users contribute. As a moderator I have no control over that.

Energetic? Not sure if you are aware, but this is not a paid position. Mods do what they can, when they can. I and the other mods do an awful lot of sorting through posts, editing and deleting things, and keeping things pointed in the right direction that you never even see or know about. I have neither the time or interest to be a cheerleader and rally you or anyone into posting things of interest here. I wish you would, but that is your call.

Tony Bad

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 11:56 AM (permalink)
        Foodbme

Don't take out your frustrations on the Moderators. Their pay scale and job description don't require them to take responsibility for saving the world. They do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that no one ever hears about to keep the site on an upper plain despite some posters attempts to promote negativity.
        It's the responsibility of the posters, not the Moderators, to insure the success of the site. Keeping threads on topic and fresh is possible only if the members see to it that it happens. I'm as responsible for getting threads off track as anyone, but having a moderator PMing me every time I do so isn't going to improve my attitude toward the site. Take a lead from our beloved government - Constant intervention improves nothing---It makes it worse!
        Adding some new moderators might help lessen the workload of the current ones. Would you like to Volunteer?

I saw your post only after I posted mine...so sorry for being redundant.

I just want to add that the moderators also note that interesting contributions have slowed of late, and we have all discussed what changes could be made to alter this. The fact is that there are many other places people post these days. Add to this a down economy that has changed people's travel habits, dining out habits, and perhaps even their desire to talk about such matters and you have what we have. If there was a simple solution, we would have done something already.

Russ Jackson

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 12:03 PM (permalink)
          Tony Bad

Russ Jackson

I am not sure I get what you are expecting. To me it is the contributions of posters that make this or any forum interesting and worth reading, and in turn, a success or failure. The mods try to remove spam, address situations that violate forum rules, move misplaced posts to proper areas, etc. To me the best moderation is the kind you don't even notice. 

I would really like to know how you would have the moderators keep things on topic and fresh? Should we delete any and all posts that aren't in lock step with the threads title? Fresh? Again, in my opinion that is dependent on what users contribute. As a moderator I have no control over that.

Energetic? Not sure if you are aware, but this is not a paid position. Mods do what they can, when they can. I and the other mods do an awful lot of sorting through posts, editing and deleting things, and keeping things pointed in the right direction that you never even see or know about. I have neither the time or interest to be a cheerleader and rally you or anyone into posting things of interest here. I wish you would, but that is your call.

Obviously you and I see things different. In this thread http://www.roadfood.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=681082&mpage=1#681282 I see no fault of the original poster. I put the blame on Foodbme. Sundancer threatens to bounce the original poster. One guy asks for information and to try to start a discussion. Gets shut down right out of the box FOR NO REASON other than to incite. I might be 100% wrong in my assumption. He cracked back A++ which isn't that bad. I bet he said to his Wife: Hey let me start a thread on Vegas at that cool site Rood Food with all the great information that we used the last two trips. Only to hear him use another term in disgust a few moments later. He then told her: Were on are own, no help there some guy blew it up....Russ
          <message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 01/12/12 12:18 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
            Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 12:15 PM (permalink)
            Russ Jackson

Tony Bad

Russ Jackson

Tony,

Obviously you and I see things different. In this thread http://www.roadfood.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=681082&mpage=1#681282 I see no fault of the original poster. I put the blame on Foodbme. You threaten to bounce the original poster. One guy asks for information and to try to start a discussion. Gets shut down right out of the box FOR NO REASON other than to incite. I might be 100% wrong in my assumption. He cracked back A++ which isn't that bad. I wonder what he said to his wife going on the trip as he said just minutes before to her. Hey let me start a thread on Vegas at that cool site Rood Food with all the great information that we used the last two trips. Only to here him use another term in disgust a few moments later. He then told her: Were on are own, no help there some guy blew it up....Russ

You are correct. Your assumptions are 100% incorrect

Sundancer7

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 12:22 PM (permalink)
              Russ, it was me, not Tony that remarked on the individual that called another poster A##.  IN your opinion it may be OK but we do not want anyone called another poster anytype of name and it does not have to be foul.  If you did it or anyone else, I would do the same and I am sure that other mods would do the same.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Tony Bad

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 12:22 PM (permalink)
                Please lets keep this civil. I agree with Russ that there are issues and concerns, and welcome the discussion, but lets not turn it into a personal battle.

Russ Jackson

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 12:35 PM (permalink)
                  Sundancer7

Russ, it was me, not Tony that remarked on the individual that called another poster A##.  IN your opinion it may be OK but we do not want anyone called another poster anytype of name and it does not have to be foul.  If you did it or anyone else, I would do the same and I am sure that other mods would do the same.

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

I know I went back and edited the post Sundancer. But can you see how the poster might have gotten frustrated? This isn't a personal attack. Its an observation. It can be seen regularly. The site seems to be in a rut.  My only point was to bring it attention. I have viewed over the past year or more that it has swung over to far one way and it might be time to address it. Make it more positive and friendly. From my perspective it is turning into an Old Boys Club. There was no malice in my posts. Just bringing to light what I perceived....Russ

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 12:38 PM (permalink)
                    6. always the same ones. It isn't hard to figure out.
                    Meanwhile, I'm made fun of in this thread which doesn't bother me a whit, but
                    c'mon.....
                    <message edited by 1bbqboy on Thu, 01/12/12 12:40 PM>

Tony Bad

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 12:50 PM (permalink)
                      Russ Jackson

I know I went back and edited the post Sundancer. But can you see how the poster might have gotten frustrated? This isn't a personal attack. Its an observation. It can be seen regularly. The site seems to be in a rut.  My only point was to bring it attention. I have viewed over the past year or more that it has swung over to far one way and it might be time to address it. Make it more positive and friendly. From my perspective it is turning into an Old Boys Club. There was no malice in my posts. Just bringing to light what I perceived....Russ

Russ, how do we make it more positive and friendly? One would think adults would be able to do this on their own, but as you well know, that is not the case. I just noted I have been on this forum for 10 years now, and during that time I have been repeatedly bewildered at how people can turn a light hearted subject like roadfood into rude or nasty responses or angry exchanges, but when we deal with many different personalities it is bound to happen. Do we ban people for being curt, or blunt, or rude?

Russ Jackson

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 1:31 PM (permalink)
                        Tony Bad

Russ Jackson

Russ, how do we make it more positive and friendly? One would think adults would be able to do this on their own, but as you well know, that is not the case. I just noted I have been on this forum for 10 years now, and during that time I have been repeatedly bewildered at how people can turn a light hearted subject like roadfood into rude or nasty responses or angry exchanges, but when we deal with many different personalities it is bound to happen. Do we ban people for being curt, or blunt, or rude?

Hopefully this spirited conversation with promote all of us to stand back. Look at our posts a little closer. Put ourselves in the shoes of the person asking the question and see how we can set them on their way down roadfood. You will find that once they see how welcome they are they will get involved and give back. The hard part is getting them to feel welcome. Thats our job. Then they open up and give back. Not because they owe, but because the want to. It will then become a small part of there lives. Others will see this and it will continue to grow. I know Mods don't get paid. But you do in the fact that you were chosen and you do a job well done. Remember how proud you were the day you were asked? Of course you do. Not all payment in monetary. You do it because you love to eat and enjoy the relationship you have with others of the same interest. Open the doors and make passage a little easier for those trying to enter this little world. It shouldn't  be work it should be fun. JMO...Russ
                        <message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 01/12/12 1:42 PM>

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                          Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 2:08 PM (permalink)
                          We still have men and women fighting a war and this is what some choose to get all upset about. Get a grip.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                            Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 2:11 PM (permalink)
                            All this because someone suggested a search for information. Amazing!

Russ Jackson

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 2:31 PM (permalink)
                              fishtaco

We still have men and women fighting a war and this is what some choose to get all upset about. Get a grip.

Personally I never thought anyone was upset. I never was...Russ
                              Also fishtaco could you explain Get a grip and how it applies?
                              <message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 01/12/12 2:52 PM>

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 3:51 PM (permalink)
                                Hell all this anger,you'd a thought someone put ketchup on a hotdog, ate at Pizza Hut or Bubba Gumps(on Broadway)!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                                  Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                  Let me jump in here and add my 2 cents.

First of all.....I love everybody!   Well, maybe not the little feller....ahh, what the heck, the little feller too.

Because of the rapid changes in small food businesses(Roadfood), I will be the first to post for help.  Also, maybe I am looking for a specific food item, you know, regionally appropriate.  Or maybe one of the earlier threads died too young and didn't have a lot of info.

So, to sum up whatever point I am trying to make.  Anyone, new or old, ask away.  Heck, we could use the action.

Oh, and Russ, you're still my favorite Jackson.....after $Andrew$ of course.

Russ Jackson

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Thu, 01/12/12 4:12 PM (permalink)
                                    leethebard

Hell all this anger,you'd a thought someone put ketchup on a hotdog, ate at Pizza Hut or Bubba Gumps(on Broadway)!

That would upset me. Especially the Ketchup on a Hot Dog...Russ

Zagut

• Total Posts: 40
                                      Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Tue, 01/24/12 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                      As I delve through the past it seems that some things never change. 

I can't add a link so add a www.

roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=56808&high=unwelcome

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                                        Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Tue, 01/24/12 8:33 PM (permalink)
                                        The "problem" of new folks asking "the same old questions" exists on ALL popular and well attended BBS forums...this one is no exception...Old timers get peeved that new folks aren't instantly up to speed or blessed with divine knowledge, and the new folks don't know why th eold timers are so cranky, yet their questions are genuine and sincere, wanting to llearn someything...

Everytime a question is asked, a person is ASKING FOR KNOWLEDGE that they don't know...we must remember that none of us is born with this inate knowledge...we ask and we learn...and it's our social DUTY to in turn pass on the things we learn...it does NO good to take knowledge to the grave...so be patient with new folks and their questions, and remember the time in your life when YOU asked the same question, wanting a good answer...

FAQ's can help a LOT if well written...but sometimes that's not enough...and we have to remember that bbs forums like this are PRIVATELY owned, and it's the owners that decide how much time and energy goes into the setup, administration, and content of any particular forum...

THINKING beyond the typical FAQ...I think what can be helpful is a GUIDE, INFOBASE, or LEARNING section to refer folks to...

I wish I had a dollar everytime somebody asked "how many solar panels do I need to run my house" on another webby site...

For often asked technical questions, I've created graphics to illustrate important points...humans are very visually oriented, and often it's better to SHOW instead of (or in conjunction with) TELLING...

THE GOOD NEWS is there's lots of knowledge here, so folks, be the best guide you can be. Think of how you can best explain something to answer a question...text, still graphic, video footage...we can create media and send it around the world at the speed of light, yet we still don't always know how to relate with one another...

Visualize being the teacher you learned from...

Just my 2 cents

Zagut

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Sun, 01/29/12 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                          It just goes to show that it's hard enough to get 2 people to agree and come to a understanding on anything. Let alone a group of people.
                                          My advice is to become a hermit and let the rest of the world do whatever it feels the need to do.
                                          But pay no attention to me because I'm too stupid to know any better.
                                          And I kind of like it that way.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                            Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Sun, 01/29/12 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                            My only comment is that when I come to Roadfood to ask about restaurants in an area I am visiting, I want conversation with my fellow roadfoodies. Please dont offer me a search function-I can do that on millions of sites on my own.Offer me an opinion or experience!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                              Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Sun, 01/29/12 7:44 PM (permalink)
                                              ann peeples

My only comment is that when I come to Roadfood to ask about restaurants in an area I am visiting, I want conversation with my fellow roadfoodies. Please dont offer me a search function-I can do that on millions of sites on my own.Offer me an opinion or experience!

That's what it's all about.

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
                                                • Location: Mendocino County, CA
                                                Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Mon, 01/30/12 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                                Even hermits need to eat...
                                                <message edited by BackRhodes on Mon, 01/30/12 4:27 PM>

jajarino68

• Total Posts: 152
                                                  Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Tue, 01/31/12 7:40 AM (permalink)
                                                  I consider myself a lurker to the site. I do enjoy many of the threads and find them helpful in my travels to other areas. I recall our first trip after having found this site. I informed my wife that I did not want to eat at any chain restaurants. We had a great time experiencing new foods and places.

But this thread is more about forum etiquette and manners than content. I like to think of forums like coffee shops. If you struck up a conversation with someone, would you respond sarcastically or bitterly if they asked a mundane question. I would hope not.  The search function is a great tool, but it cannot provide new perspective. Perhaps someone else new to the forum has joined and sees a question for the first time and can contribute something different.

The same manners we use in public should apply when responding thru a keyboard.

Russ Jackson

Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Tue, 01/31/12 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                                    The search function is great but it isn't current all the time. Also a lot of new places will not be listed.  N othing worse than going to a restaurant that closed over a year ago...Russ

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                                                      • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Tue, 01/31/12 8:30 AM (permalink)
                                                      Russ Jackson

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Hot-Dog-recipes-m672103.aspx

Maybe I just miss the old days. But I don't think that's all of it. The regulars need to be better shill's for the site including the Mod's. Maybe add some fresh Mod's. Add some new categories, remove some of the weak ones or consolidate,  put the lighter fare on the main page

Attitude seems to be going through a down turn and it should stop. It's just my opinion...Russ

I for one am thankful that lighter fare was removed from he main page. I know I speak for many others (including those who don't want to be as vocal as I am) that this is a website about Roadfood, I would have left a long time ago if the lighter fare topics have stayed on the main page and I know this would have alienated many others as well and they would have likely done the same.

Zagut

• Location: Friendship, MD
                                                        Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Tue, 01/31/12 8:57 PM (permalink)
                                                        Yes Hermits need to eat but they avoid the petty BS of people as much they can.

Anns post says so much. Yes this is a site about "Roadfood" But this is a forum in that site.
                                                        A part and not the whole.
                                                         A forum is about interaction between people and that is a very diverse undertaking.
                                                        The majority of this forum is about roadfood and there is a place for lighter fare. The simple act of interaction between people kind of demands it.
                                                        What's the statement? Man can not live by bread alone.
                                                        Well a forum needs to have variety to allow a variety of people to enjoy it. No one will like everyone but the more differences are accepted then the more different people will accept it. And the larger the base of ideas the better for everyone to benefit from them.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                          • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                          Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Tue, 01/31/12 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                                          My friend Zagut, this whole site is about roadfood. Lighter fare is good, but doesnt belong on the front page, imo.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                            • Joined: 11/20/2000
                                                            • Location: Rogue Valley
                                                            Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: Tue, 01/31/12 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                                            you think folks who look at the front page are actually enticed to stick around and participate?
                                                            That argument is so 2007. 
                                                            This is an old tired site filled with old tired people. 
                                                            I'm guilty myself. 
                                                            If they can't bother to fix the front page, why should we care?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 147

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com