I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread:

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 13:36:53 (permalink)
wanderingjew

leethebard 

I could never travel like Wanderingjew and so many others, but I live vicariously through them

I'd like to know which wanderingjew you're refering to because it  certainly isn't me. I could never travel like Buffetbuster or TTM.
In the scheme of things,I don't travel very much, and I'm perplexed why others say they could never travel like me. I'm far from wealthy,  I don't have alot of disposable income and at the same time don't have much credit card debt. So if I can do it, just about anyone can .

WJ:  I know you are somewhat frugal but as compared to many, you travel extensively and you do it very well.  Maybe not as much as BB and TTM but you do well and should be proud of it.  I along with others admire the travels of all who do it and post it on Roadfood.  Please keep it up and we are proud of all of you.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 13:39:59 (permalink)
I have a question about the poll question.

This may be the wrong thread.
flyseye
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 13:49:15 (permalink)
Tony,feel free to comment on the unfair moderation point, I am interested in your side on the matter. I can only say that I post to several other message boards,and have for years, and this is the ONLY site where I have ever had posts deleted,and it has happened numerous time for reasons I really dont understand,particularly while others seem capable of running unchecked.

The evolution of message boards is that people come,and people go. Well,they only seem to go here.I can name dozens of fine posters who have left this site in recent years,and I doubt there is a person here who could name 5 new,even halfway prolific ,posters who have joined in the same time span.

Could it be because they have the "use the search" function crammed down their throat with their first post ? Here's a constructive suggestion,delete every post where someone says that. That would be a start.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 13:49:53 (permalink)
CCinNJ

I have a question about the poll question.

This may be the wrong thread.

You need to wait until the second month of the poll before asking questions. 
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 13:56:42 (permalink)
Sundancer7

wanderingjew

leethebard 

I could never travel like Wanderingjew and so many others, but I live vicariously through them

I'd like to know which wanderingjew you're refering to because it  certainly isn't me. I could never travel like Buffetbuster or TTM.
In the scheme of things,I don't travel very much, and I'm perplexed why others say they could never travel like me. I'm far from wealthy,  I don't have alot of disposable income and at the same time don't have much credit card debt. So if I can do it, just about anyone can .

WJ:  I know you are somewhat frugal but as compared to many, you travel extensively and you do it very well.  Maybe not as much as BB and TTM but you do well and should be proud of it.  I along with others admire the travels of all who do it and post it on Roadfood.  Please keep it up and we are proud of all of you.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Oh Yeah Paul.  That WanderingJew, he never goes anywhere.  BTW, where is he now?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 13:58:19 (permalink)
This is why I raised my hand.

I hope we would not lose Katz's if we voted for something else.

God forgive me if I decided to vote for something else...and that was the case.

I will wait to vote. Thank you.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 14:02:20 (permalink)
flyseye
 Tony,feel free to comment on the unfair moderation point, I am interested in your side on the matter. I can only say that I post to several other message boards,and have for years, and this is the ONLY site where I have ever had posts deleted,and it has happened numerous time for reasons I really dont understand,particularly while others seem capable of running unchecked.

Without having any clue when or why all of this may have happened I really can't respond. I know that things that violate forum rules get deleted. Rarely are people happy about this. Without details I can only guess your posts were somehow in violation of forum rules. 

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 14:06:22 (permalink)
Anybody remember that Little Gremlin that used to attack posters who did trip reports that didn't live up to his lofty standards?  

I heard he was run out of town on a rail.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 17:13:05 (permalink)
Tony Bad

SUZYQICU

WOW!!!  Censorship at its best.  Good job and keep it up.

Thanks!

Mom always said to do your best.

TonyB

You are getting snarky in your OLD age watch it! 

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 17:31:28 (permalink)
CajunKing

TonyB

You are getting snarky in your OLD age watch it! 

Who you callin' old???

I guess that was a bit snarky. People rarely see the whole story on these issues where they mention "censorship". Other than spam, deleting things is a last resort. Often, people will feel they did nothing wrong yet their post is deleted. Usually when this occurs it is because when some posts that needed removal were cut away, other related posts no longer made sense. A reply to a deleted post just hangs out there, so it may be removed even though it was not in violation of any rules on its own merit. I usually try to write to people when this happens, and let them know the situation, but may not do so all the time if time is tight.
dimmie2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 17:46:54 (permalink)
flyseye
Could it be because they have the "use the search" function crammed down their throat with their first post ? Here's a constructive suggestion,delete every post where someone says that. That would be a start.

Exactly!

It was recommended for me to read the board before I posted.  I was told I needed to learn the personalities of the different posters... learn when their little snide remarks were really just sarcasm.  I don't take either very well, so I haven't posted much to different folks, just tried to stay on topic. 

I rarely use the search feature because when a forum has been on the net for as long as this one has, just about everything has been discussed at one time or another, but that doesn't mean it's up to date. 

I've seen many folks get shot down on their first post... have their posts marked as spam when it really wasn't.  When I read that sort of stuff, I feel sorry for the poster.

I've seen questions posted only to have someone tell 'em to use the search feature cause it was discussed years ago.  If an old topic is pulled up with someone's reply, I've seen someone gripe about an old topic being raised. IMO, nothing can run off a new poster as fast as this.

I'm not a 'it's all about Roadfood' type of person.  There are many chains I enjoy and I'm happy to see a forum just for that.  If there wasn't a 'off topic & lighter fare' forum, I doubt I would post as much as I have simply because my life is not all about food.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 18:14:09 (permalink)
I have held off responding to this topic for 5 pages and 129+ posts.
But I am finally to a point of a response (save the ribbing of TonyB earlier)

Roadfood has always been an interesting community.
In 2006 when I joined, I did come across some of the long time posters that came across as genuine ARSEHOLES. 

I posted several things and was told to perform a search (which I had done and wanted fresh information)

I posted a topic and was told it was not worthy enough to be on RF.

There seemed to be various cliques and groups, and god forbid a non RF topic came up.

I stuck around and kept at it.  I felt I became closer to posters on here, we developed friendships that go beyond the RF world.

I have watched many a poster come and go and I miss several of those who no longer post I really miss one individual poster who was hounded away from RF because of the above mentioned arse holes.

There are some RF I have a great respect and admiration for their abilities to travel.  I used to be able to travel like they do, but not right now. 

YES WJ You my friend are included in this group not for the amount of travel that you do, but for the amount of activity you pack into your few trips. 

I live through their trip reports and they make me want to travel more.  I love seeing all the places they find and enjoy.

Has RF changed in the 6 years I have been here??  YES, but then again so has life.  Now there is FB and other social networks that do take things away from RF, and this saddens me because RF has become like family.

I cry when I hear sad news about a RF'er, I am happy for them when something good happens, I get excited when I get to see my RF friends again in real life. I get envious of some of their travel (#1 son and BB).  I can't wait for the opportunity to meet RF people for the first time, I get all a twitter (no not that one the other kind)

I think the Mods do a great job, do i agree with their decisions 100% of the time, HECK NO, but we are human and they do the best that they can.

RF is a living breathing thing, it changes, somethings fade away, while others take hold and grow.

Does RF need an "Other" section sure it does, it is where we get to better know our fellow RFers.  It shouldnt be on the main page and it isnt now.  But it belongs here.

The economy has really hurt the site, people dont get to go out and explore like they could.  It will be back.  I can't wait until I hit the lottery then im hiring WJ, BB, CTD & TTM as my travel guides and watch out US & World here we come.

I know i have rambled, maybe its the hospital air (my son needed IV fluids from the flu or viral whatever going around), maybe it's because this horspital has nothing good to eat.

I just thought I would add my thoughts to this thread.

Paul, Tony keep up the good work, I will put in a request to double your celery errr.. salary. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 18:19:14 (permalink)
CajunKing, my friend, I'm looking forward to finally meeting you in Nashville.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 18:40:35 (permalink)
It has been TOO long Michael, i am counting the hours already.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 20:12:29 (permalink)
Bravo Cajun K!  Your post #131 said a LOT...  Kudos from Florida, my friend. 
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 20:17:09 (permalink)
Joe you should trek north to Nashville and join in the fun.

It has been TOO LONG!
SUZYQICU
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 21:27:46 (permalink)
I get it now....ARSEHOLES are okay but not a$$holes. 
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 22:13:48 (permalink)
NO - arseholes in general = ok

arsehole - directed at someone = NOT OK

same with A$$holes

The previous a$$hole comment was directed AT an individual
Not to those a$$holes in general
post edited by CajunKing - 2012/02/02 22:15:27
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 22:24:05 (permalink)
Get well soon to your son!!!!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 22:27:23 (permalink)
Thanks with the fluids back in him he is in bed playing with the xbox and chatting with friends online ( HE IS FEELING BETTER )
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 22:35:30 (permalink)
X-box live makes them feel better!!! Makes them also say "I am not talking to you" a million times when they have the headset on.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/02/02 22:40:20
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/02 23:13:50 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
All this because someone suggested a search for information. Amazing!

And complaints about "lighter fare" here in the Off Topics And Lighter Fare forum...

It must be nice to have so much spare time to discect a topic in such detail...
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/03 14:18:35 (permalink)
I have not really weighed in very seriously here so i'll try to give my two cents worth.
 first of all, thank you for the compliment about my writing several pages back, mr hoffman. it meant a lot to me and it was appreciated.
      There is no question traffic is down and part of that is Facebook, and part of the time and effort it takes to post trip reports with pictures and well written texts. one of my favorite posters no longer posts trip reports on road food and i miss those reports.  
     Facebook has killed a lot of our traffic and think we don't really attract a younger crowd much anymore. twitter is shorter and frankly I'm not sure I'd want to talk to a lot of us either. plus a lot of people who like our type of food are watching Guy and Adam rich man who are bigger names than jane and Michael  to younger folks and in the new universe.
        I no longer go to Roadfood first when i hit the computer and illness and lack of funds keep me a little closer to home. Portland's food cart culture is wonderful but I simply have neither the time or energy or money to be as active as I once was. WE have a new computer so I hope I can add a few places here in Oregon and southern washington that will be worthy of inclusion in the road food universe.
      But frankly the chat stuff may have seen its best days. people looking for good places to eat are still hitting the website but i'm not sure they desire to talk in the fora when there are other options available. Technology has moved on and we are so 2007 to quote mr. Voss. I really do like this website, will strive to help it when i can and truly wish i could join my compatriots in nashville and new orleans in the coming weeks.
post edited by mr chips - 2012/02/03 18:20:51
Zagut
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/05 16:33:43 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Zagut

My point was that this site is 99.9% about roadfood.

That's correct, and it should stay that way, unfortunately it hasn't , the forum overall  has much more "posters" than "roadfooders" meaning those that don't care about roadfood and would rather post about unrelated topics  or those that just post about food such as what they had for lunch or dinner or breakfast today, or the new hot n juicy burger at Wendy's frankly I (and several others) could care less which is why I don't post there, although others who share similar thoughts are much less vocal about it than I am.- Ironically those same  "posters" here have referred to some of us "roadfooders"  as "show-offs" and "braggarts" because we post trip reports  or because of a thread on one of the forums called "these are the places I visited on roadfood" . 

As happens to many sites the belief that high post counts and length of membership count for more then content of ideas. 

That means absolutely nothing to me. I could care less. I'm not "internet" saavy, I don't spend much time on the internet, there's alot of things I just "don't get" or "understand" and that makes absolutely no sense to me. Personally, I'd rather be enjoying the outdoors or socializing with friends face to face. On the other hand I've met some great people on the forum who I consider close friends so obviously  of course there is interaction but its with those who share the same or similar ideology of what this website is all about.

Heaven forbid that someone post about food as apposed to "Roadfood" What they had for dinner may be an attempt to duplicate what was experienced at a place they stopped at during a roadtrip.
 Wendy's new hot and juicy burger is roadfood. It may be roadfood that you personally don't like but it is what folks eat. I personally could do fine without Wendy's, McD's, and Burger King. But it is food folks eat when they are on the road.
I do work for a man who owns at least 7 McD's. He say's he's in the restaurant business. I 've always seen that as a stretch but he is correct. And for a buck a burger what do you expect?
 I don't see you and others as showoffs or braggarts. Actually I see the trip reports as one of the best aspects of this site. I get hungry every time I read them. It also make me want to attempt to duplicate what I see and ask the folks here how they see that effort.

My statement toward high post counts and length of membership has nothing to do with internet savvy. I like you don't get or understand most of what goes on in this insane world. I also have things to do besides sitting in front of this box. (I wish the younger generation could say the same.) My point was that forums tend to stagnate when new ideas are dismissed and the acceptance of new thoughts are discouraged. Sure old ideas are rehashed by newbies. maybe it's time to reexamine them rather then say go dig it up yourself ahole.
Cajun King is correct in saying there are arseholes here. That's true of every website I've ever visited. My advice is ignore the aholes and enjoy it as best you can.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/05 17:07:48 (permalink)
mr chips, I wish you could be in Nashville, too. And you're very welcome. Your posts are always a pleasure to read.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6644
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/05 17:29:04 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

mr chips, I wish you could be in Nashville, too. And you're very welcome. Your posts are always a pleasure to read.

I also wish you, Trudy and Sam could be in Nashville.  We'll catch up soon!

BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/02/05 19:48:46 (permalink)
CHIPS:...please let u sknow what p;laces you find, and IF anywhere near US Hwy 101 please also add any places you find to the Food Safari thread...thanks...
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1