Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2012/01/10 09:41:41 (permalink)

I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Hot-Dog-recipes-m672103.aspx

Is it just me or is this a little excessive? Activity at one time on this site was vibrant and informative. Not saying it isn't of value now, but nowhere near the levels of where it once was. This was the go to site for great local spots to eat, camaraderie, humor based banter, and some of the best true recipes (not copy and paste) for regional and original on the entire net. I was proud to post some of my favorite secrets here. I found the knowledge and insight to be second to none. I was proud to be a part of it. It was once a regular part of my day, week and life.

It was up-to-date and fresh. Ever growing and evolving. I used to laugh very hard at well thought posts from strong minds. I was allowed into the roadfood community more and more over the course of time. Took me a long time to get into the Bay Corn Family. An exclusive club open to to the regulars while initiating new posters to our online humor. Trying to figure What the Heck we were talking about. 

Members have come and gone and returned again. Site has changed a couple times. Changes that were met with protest and praise.  

Maybe I just miss the old days. But I don't think that's all of it. The regulars need to be better shill's for the site including the Mod's. Maybe add some fresh Mod's. Add some new categories, remove some of the weak ones or consolidate,  put the lighter fare on the main page. 

Attitude seems to be going through a down turn and it should stop. It's just my opinion...Russ

146 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 11:03:31 (permalink)
    I think there's only 5 posters left and they sit around and talk to each other or berate new posters.
    The humor and good times have got up and went.
    I don't check in very often either, Russ.
    Bill
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6271
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 11:11:24 (permalink)
    TOO MANY UNBENDING NO-IT ALLS...my opinion is right, and you're not entitled to yours!  That said, there are people here whose opinion I value, fair-minded, interesting food lovers!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10259
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 12:29:36 (permalink)
    Russ,
    I've been a member for over 5 years and I understand where you're coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with all your conclusions. Overall, this continues to be an excellent forum and has many numerous, outstanding posts. Can some things be improved? Sure.
    I find that "Veterans' tend to be more critical of Newcomers because Newcomers tend to ask the same questions that have been answered numerous times in the past or are so general that we don't know what they're looking for. We get frustrated and tend to lash out. I'm guilty of the "Why don't you use the tools provided on here" syndrome. Then I realize that it's not obvious to Newcomers how to do that.
    I put the Root Cause of the problem at the feet of the way the site is organized. I've been shouting about how the site needs to be organized to help Newcomers get up to speed and how they can get the most from the TONS of information in here without asking the same basic questions over & over. For Example: how many times has a newcomer ask a question in the "Where Should I Eat?" Forum about a town that has been discussed Ad Infinitum on numerous threads in the past. They ask because mainly they don't know how to use the search tools to find the answers  and it's not visibly evident to them that there's a way to do it. They don't know what they don't know!
    Here are my major pet peeves and suggestions to improve the site, especially for Newcomers:
    Granted, most of this hard to find information is buried and scattered somewhere in the bowels of the site BUT a step-by-step, "How To" instruction section for Newcomers needs to be created and consolidated and then PROMINANTLY DISPLAYED ON THE HOME PAGE so it's impossible not to see it. It should include the following topics-
    A. History, Philosophy and Purpose of Roadfood.com
    B. The Rules of Conduct and the importance of constructive posts.
    B. How to do a search with step-by-step instructions and examples.
    C. The benefits of becoming an Insider and all the services provided with that distinction and how to use them .
    D. How to use all the other tools and any other topics helpful to a Newcomer.
    Don't expect Newcomers to automatically know how to currently find and use the site as currently constructed. It took me years to figure somethings out and I still don't know all the ins and outs of the site.
    I contend most of the negative issues that pop up can be corrected by the Education and Proper Instruction of newcomers AS WELL AS current members. 
    I've been posting about this issue for years and have never been contacted by anyone in authority who can give me a reason why this can't be accomplished or if they think I'm off-base on this issue.

post edited by Foodbme - 2012/01/10 12:38:00
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 13:00:14 (permalink)
    For those of you who think maybe Roadfood.com has lost it's way, here's an example of the good that Roadfood provides its members. I'm proud to say I had a small behind the scenes part in making this happen.
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=680780&high=
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 14:05:37 (permalink)
    There are so many forums out there today. A lot of them use a totally different method and format. I get confused at the 4 or 5 I go to on a regular basis. Some are brutal to navigate. This is definitely one of the more difficult. But if the information is useful and current and the members welcome you upon your first visit it sets the trend for what can be a great long-term relationship. In the post mentioned the original poster had been a member for about 5 months prior to there first post. Only to find that the door was slammed. In the past the new poster would have been qualified and given the information needed to start there roadfood journey. A few quick links, some questions as to there needs, something about where they were from, and most of all a warm welcome. So the question sounded stupid from the longtime member. So what get over it and knock the chip off your shoulder and do a little work to find out what they are really looking for. If one is not willing to help then fine...just leave the thread without responding and move on. Every now and then you will run into a troll or spammer but who cares. This guy was not a spammer.  

In your reply:
    For Example: how many times has a newcomer ask a question in the "Where Should I Eat?" Forum about a town that has been discussed Ad Infinitum on numerous threads in the past. They ask because mainly they don't know how to use the search tools to find the answers  and it's not visibly evident to them that there's a way to do it. They don't know what they don't know!  

You are 100% correct this individual has no idea how to search. Example would be asking about Cincinnati. A quick start would be the link to TJ Jacksons http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=462476 thread of 7 years and 91 pages is tribute to the Queen City. I could go on and on. But someone has to point them in the proper direction. Point not Kick them out the door. It might just be me but from my perspective it is trending the wrong way....Russ
    post edited by Russ Jackson - 2012/01/10 14:06:55
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 514
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 14:29:40 (permalink)
    I'm a little surprised at myself that I actually logged in to be able to make this comment -- because it hardly seems worth it, and I don't think anyone will care.

I dispute the idea that Roadfood members were all that welcoming to new posters in the past.  In my observation, of several years, it is more that the regulars blarney back and forth with each other (and very entertaining, I do agree), but new posters were just ignored, jumped over and not included.  The regulars just talked to each other, not to them.

And then there is the abuse, and the insults.  There is a dedicated several here that are simply bullies, and they are for some reason tolerated by the management, by which I mean the moderators who contribute more to protecting those bullies than to making the site truly inclusive for all.

Things have changed, somewhat, in the last little while.  It seems there was a blow-up between a worthwhile and very talented poster (talkin' about road trips to Andy Griffith) and the usual bullies, that resulted in all of them being banned for a while.  Since then many are offering their oh-so-insincere "Welcome to Roadfood" statement before they begin their tirade.  They should skip it, because they obviously don't mean it.

Many good people are no longer posting because the bullies are in charge.

Foodbme, you never were a bully, but you sure seem to have some problems with new posters that ask questions.  You jump in every time.  When did you get put in charge of that?

Logging out now.  Go ahead and delete this, OK by me. 
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 15:49:20 (permalink)
    Mr Jackson: For gods sake man do not ask if this site has "Jumped the Shark"

easydoesit: I care 

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 16:09:23 (permalink)
    easydoesit
    Foodbme, you never were a bully, but you sure seem to have some problems with new posters that ask questions. You jump in every time.  When did you get put in charge of that?
    Logging out now.  Go ahead and delete this, OK by me. 

I agree with you that "Roadfood members were all that welcoming to new posters in the past". I've not noticed anything that's changed from past to present.
    Thank You for not thinking of me as a Bully. I like to think the majority of my posts are helpful and well meaning, even sometimes humorous, however, after doing some serious introspective thinking, I agree that I do have some frustrations and get short with posters that ask redundant questions or make off the wall comments. I now realize my frustrations are mis-directed. My frustrations should be directed at the format and construction and poor communication flow to the newcomers of this site. As stated above, "They don't know what they don't know"!
    Also, as mentioned above, this site is NOT New User Friendly. There is no Easy To Use, Conspicuously Visible Primer for Newbees to access and acclimate themselves to get the most from the site and the information herein. Granted, some people would just ignore it anyway and plunge forward but I would hope most Newbees would find it useful.
    Until something happens to change the status quo, we'll still have those same issues with Newbees and other non-frequent posters.
    My new approach will be to try to help or just not respond. That's my New Years Resoultion. To be a kinder, gentler Foodbme!
    Hopefully, my voice in the wilderness will cause something to be done in the near future to address the "Root Cause" issues.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/01/10 16:31:56
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 16:13:10 (permalink)
    I'm here every day.

All boards change due to personalities and content.

The ratio of readers to writers to contributors is a problem.  Don't leave it to others to make this a fun place for you.  Pitch in!

Look at some of the trip reports.  It's not easy work writing one.  When you read it why not comment?

The banter between posters (to me) is fun.  The only way to break in is to try.  Most don't.  Don't fault the ones that do if you don't give it a try.

I try to welcome newcomers.  If they're spamming I've been guilty of hitting the spam button because I feel like they're trespassing to their own agenda.  You don't see them again just because we hit the button.  You don't see them again because they're advertisers or self-promoters that had one agenda... theirs.  I'm trying to not turn them in now unless it's 150% clear what they're doing.  I was guilty.

As far as the search feature we have posters that chastise because new posters didn't use it and we have posters that want to know why these old threads are being bumped.  You can't win.

Restaurants change, posters change, the climate changes and so does Roadfood.

Read it and POST every day and it might feel better.

It's what I try to do.  I don't know if you like what I write, but I hope that you do.

There are some bullies here, there are some know-it-alls here and there are a few that think themselves God of Roadfood.  

ENJOY IT!

I'll be here.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3726
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 16:22:27 (permalink)
    Great post Mar52
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 16:26:51 (permalink)
    CCJPO
    Mr Jackson: For gods sake man do not ask if this site has "Jumped the Shark"
    easydoesit: I care 

I didn't know what "Jumped The Shark" meant so I looked it up.
    I don't think Roadfood has "Jumped the Shark' but I think there are some things that can be done to breathe some new life and ideas into it by the people who care. My comments on this thread are self evident. I'd be interested in hearing ideas from others who care about Roadfood.com as far as constructive ideas are concerned. I'm somewhat amazed by the silence of those who are the founders and initial developers of the site. I'd like to hear their thoughts and perceptions and plans for the future of the site. Kind of a "State of Roadfood - Past, Present and Future" Message.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18448
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 17:08:17 (permalink)
    I kind of like Roadfood the way it is.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 17:31:06 (permalink)
     I miss Bill Voss and TJ Jackson! Oh, and Smokestack Lightning, they are what's really missing here!
    Welcome to all new posters, stand up and be counted, don't be shy, if you say something out of line, Michael Hoffman will gently guide you back on track.  
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2397
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 17:34:43 (permalink)
    Michael, you also liked the 50's the way they were .....
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6822
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 17:37:23 (permalink)
    I'm here every day although I don't post every day.  I happen to think it's a great site.  The best part is all the wonderful folks that I have met and had the pleasure of breaking bread with.  Also fished with quite a few.  They have all become dear friends.  As for the nasty posters, I just ignore them.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 17:42:40 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

Michael, you also liked the 50's the way they were .....

Some of the '50s. I didn't care a whole heck of a lot for Korea in the '50s. And then there was that marriage in the '50s.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 17:44:12 (permalink)
    chewingthefat 

Welcome to all new posters, stand up and be counted, don't be shy, if you say something out of line, Michael Hoffman will gently guide you back on track.  

And chewingthefat will pour bacon grease on you.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 17:53:49 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat 

And chewingthefat will pour bacon grease on you.

That too, plus PNWCHEF will promise to take you to Philippe's!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 18:03:34 (permalink)
    I'd never go to Philippes with him. I'm holding out for an invitation from you.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3726
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 18:08:42 (permalink)
    The last time that I was at Chubby's.  he had a private table waiting for you.  A huge card said "Reserved for MR. Michael Hoffman"...............I presume  this is a table reserved for you!
    post edited by Greymo - 2012/01/10 18:11:03
    pnwchef
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 18:13:24 (permalink)
    Mar, still owes me a date for a Fried chicken dinner at Knotts and a dbl dipped beef at Philippes. I would rather go with her than you knuckle heads......
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 18:42:28 (permalink)
    I'll talk you in to the pork!  (No bacon)

pnwchef
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 19:10:51 (permalink)
    You wouldn't have to twist my arm with pork, I know the mustard is hot, but a smear sounds good. We will be there in April...........
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 19:47:21 (permalink)
    Greymo

The last time that I was at Chubby's.  he had a private table waiting for you.  A huge card said "Reserved for MR. Michael Hoffman"...............I presume  this is a table reserved for you!

I get that sort of thing everywhere. I really prefer to go unrecognized, although I know that's asking a great deal.

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2012/01/10 20:14:17
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 21:50:23 (permalink)
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 23:08:39 (permalink)
    A lot of the banter has gone to other websites.I still check in, still enjoy the trip reports, check in most days. Hope BBwill finish his west coast trip report.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 23:43:03 (permalink)
    Mr. Chips, I've missed seeing your posts. I wish you'd post more of your good stuff.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/10 23:43:07 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

?
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:I was looking through the Hot Dog section and found this disturbing thread: 2012/01/11 03:09:53 (permalink)
    Heck *** Mr Hoffman, why in the hell do you think I call you Mickey on occasion. It is just to bust your chops, and you know it.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1