I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night

Author
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
2005/06/21 16:35:08 (permalink)

I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night

I was wonderng if there are any good Friday Night Fish Fries in Southern Michigan and/or Northern Indiana?

19 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/06/22 18:49:44 (permalink)
    I certainly hope there are Garry. One of the things I miss here in the south is that there are no fish fries.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/06/22 19:05:24 (permalink)
    I just drove from Grand Rapids to Knightstown IN and back... Only fish fry I saw was in Wilkenson (South of Anderson, N. of Knightstown on SR109)... The volunteer fire dept is hosting it this weekend. Then a little bar just north of there is hosting a Hog Roast also this weekend with a live band.. Both sounded good, but a little far for this one to drive twice in a week...
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/06/22 19:29:40 (permalink)
    Originally posted by UncleVic

I just drove from Grand Rapids to Knightstown IN and back... Only fish fry I saw was in Wilkenson (South of Anderson, N. of Knightstown on SR109)... The volunteer fire dept is hosting it this weekend. Then a little bar just north of there is hosting a Hog Roast also this weekend with a live band.. Both sounded good, but a little far for this one to drive twice in a week...

[/quote

THANKS!!!!!!!
    You are right. that's too far for me too!!

I guess people don't eat fish out anymore! When I was a kid in the 1950's and 1960's, ever town you went to, the restaurants, the bars, the fire departments. the American Legions posts. etc. and etc., all had Friday Nite Fish Frys. Must be a sign of changing time, today is another era!
    sunnyside up
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/06/22 21:43:52 (permalink)
    Well Garryd, you must make room in your schedule for a road trip to Youngstown, Ohio. Here the staple of all restaurants on Friday is fried fish dinners. Usually Haddock about 1/2 pound of it served up with a huge portion of macaroni and cheese and cole slaw. Fresh Italian bread and plenty of ice cold beer.The local rod and gun club does a fish fry several times a year and it is fresh perch, lightly coated and fried golden brown. What a treat! Walleye Pike is also a big local favorite, generally served up with 2 sides and a salad. Most places serve walleye in one pound portions, coupled with either a pasta or potato side dish, fresh cole slaw with just a hint of green pepper and turnip in it, and all that for $8.95. Fish frys are alive and well in Y-town!
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/09 13:06:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sunnyside up

Well Garryd, you must make room in your schedule for a road trip to Youngstown, Ohio. Here the staple of all restaurants on Friday is fried fish dinners. Usually Haddock about 1/2 pound of it served up with a huge portion of macaroni and cheese and cole slaw. Fresh Italian bread and plenty of ice cold beer.The local rod and gun club does a fish fry several times a year and it is fresh perch, lightly coated and fried golden brown. What a treat! Walleye Pike is also a big local favorite, generally served up with 2 sides and a salad. Most places serve walleye in one pound portions, coupled with either a pasta or potato side dish, fresh cole slaw with just a hint of green pepper and turnip in it, and all that for $8.95. Fish frys are alive and well in Y-town!

Sounds great!!!!!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/09 13:16:02 (permalink)

Here in So Indiana we see a lot of the VFD and political rally Fish-Fries, Usually during the Summer months for the Civic organizations and churches and then in the "Campaign Season" for the Political parties and Candidates. By this time of year it's a bit brisk for those folks to serve large groups...but now and then one will come along.
    Yes they are usually very good, and well worth the contribution!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18887
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/09 13:38:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451
    [brI guess people don't eat fish out anymore! When I was a kid in the 1950's and 1960's, ever town you went to, the restaurants, the bars, the fire departments. the American Legions posts. etc. and etc., all had Friday Nite Fish Frys. Must be a sign of changing time, today is another era!

When you grew up fish on Fridays was connected with Catholics not eating meat on Fridays. I'd guess the Friday fish thing sort of went away for the most part after the Friday meat ban was dropped by the church.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/09 13:41:55 (permalink)
    the best part of Lent is the Fish Fry. In a pinch, the local carry out at the end of my block is pretty good, but nothing beats the old chuch Fish Fry.

In my new neighborhood, there's a historically black Catholic church that pretty much blew away many of the fish fries I had before.

We're still in the Christmas season, but I amlooking forward to March 3rd. (The first Friday after Ash Wednesday).

ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/09 14:16:56 (permalink)
    I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. Great Fish 'n'Chips dinner, soup to nuts, at the Tops Diner, East Newark, NJ, just across the river from Newark, but in Hudson County, Fridays only.

Get the waffle fries as your chips instead of the regular fries. It comes with dessert. If they have the blueberry cobbler, get it. Boy, that's a good dinner. Fuhgeddaboutit!
    The Bear
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/14 00:14:20 (permalink)
    You want fish frys? I'll give you fish frys. Hop the ferry some summer day and indulge yourself with one of Milwaukee's finest. http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/fishfry.html
    Neesie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/14 12:01:12 (permalink)

The Friday Fish Fry is alive and well in Minnesota and Western Wisconsin. For the most part any bar that serves food and restaurant will have some kind of a fish fry every Friday. Bars are usually all you can eat, though not always. Restaurants are sometimes all you can eat, but always feature a walleye or cod dinner on Friday. Churches usually get into it during the summer months. I'm not of the Norweigan heritage myself, but don't get them started on the Lutefisk! It's not a "Friday thing" but a Christmas treat that is well known around Minnesota and North Dakota. Even those of us that are not Norweigan are familiar with their dried cod (stored in lye!) and served with drawn butter, lefse, mashed potatoes and probably jello. They claim it tastes like lobster.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/14 12:38:04 (permalink)
    I want to Thank Everyone for their responses, I reeally enjoyed them!

I can't wait for more responses to be posted, I am really enjoying this topic.

Thanks again,

Garry
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/14 16:04:15 (permalink)
    Doug's Fish Fry - Skaneateles, NY. Everyday! why wait til "Fry"day?

Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/14 17:00:41 (permalink)
    I too am seeking the fabled fish fry of yore. I have found nothing that can compare with the huge larger than the plate portions of fried Haddock I enjoyed as a youth. I am still looking though, maybe, just maybe, one of these days...
    buckeye1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/18 12:05:53 (permalink)
    Friday Night Fish Fry
    By cleveland.com

In the song "Saturday Night Fish Fry," singer Chuck E. Weiss belts out a rockabilly ditty about singin', playin' and fightin' at a juke joint that serves a mean plate of fish. Well, we're talkin' about Friday, not Saturday, and we hope the only fightin' you do is for a good seat at the table -- because when it comes to a mean plate of fish, Cleveland's got places that will drop serious delicacies of the deep in front of you.

With Lake Erie full of perch, it goes without saying that someone, somewhere is waiting to serve you some fish -- hot, fried and filling.
    But the wish for fish isn't limited to perch. There's cod and walleye out there, too. And it's all good eatin'.

From taverns to greasy spoons, churches to cathedrals, upscale to fish scale, here are some places where you can go meatless on Friday both during the Lenten season and after.

ARI'S FAMILY RESTAURANT
    27195 Lorain Road, North Olmsted, (440) 777-9360
    Fish Fry special every Wednesday and Friday during Lenten season
    Fish: Lake Perch

THE ACADEMY TAVERN
    12800 Larchmere Boulevard, Shaker Heights, (216) 229-1171
    Fish Fry special every Friday year round

AROUND THE CORNER
    18616-20 Detroit Road, Lakewood, (216) 521-4413
    Fish Fry special every Friday during Lenten season
    Fish: Lake Erie Perch, Cod, Clam Chowder, Louisiana Shrimp, Blackened Catfish
    Bonus points: Comes with pierogies.
    There's about 30 more restaurants listed, but I cut it off at the A's

And it doesn't mention Cleveland's most famous fish fry at Sokolowski's University Inn, our Polish roadfood cafeteria.

garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/18 15:02:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buckeye1

Friday Night Fish Fry
    By cleveland.com

In the song "Saturday Night Fish Fry," singer Chuck E. Weiss belts out a rockabilly ditty about singin', playin' and fightin' at a juke joint that serves a mean plate of fish. Well, we're talkin' about Friday, not Saturday, and we hope the only fightin' you do is for a good seat at the table -- because when it comes to a mean plate of fish, Cleveland's got places that will drop serious delicacies of the deep in front of you.

With Lake Erie full of perch, it goes without saying that someone, somewhere is waiting to serve you some fish -- hot, fried and filling.
    But the wish for fish isn't limited to perch. There's cod and walleye out there, too. And it's all good eatin'.

From taverns to greasy spoons, churches to cathedrals, upscale to fish scale, here are some places where you can go meatless on Friday both during the Lenten season and after.

ARI'S FAMILY RESTAURANT
    27195 Lorain Road, North Olmsted, (440) 777-9360
    Fish Fry special every Wednesday and Friday during Lenten season
    Fish: Lake Perch

THE ACADEMY TAVERN
    12800 Larchmere Boulevard, Shaker Heights, (216) 229-1171
    Fish Fry special every Friday year round

AROUND THE CORNER
    18616-20 Detroit Road, Lakewood, (216) 521-4413
    Fish Fry special every Friday during Lenten season
    Fish: Lake Erie Perch, Cod, Clam Chowder, Louisiana Shrimp, Blackened Catfish
    Bonus points: Comes with pierogies.

There's about 30 more restaurants listed, but I cut it off at the A's

And it doesn't mention Cleveland's most famous fish fry at Sokolowski's University Inn, our Polish roadfood cafeteria.

Thanks,

The Michigan Department of Natural outlawed commerical fisherman using Gill Nets in Michigan Waters of Lake Michigan about 30 years ago and then about 20 years ago the Michigan Department of Natural Resources put tight rules on how Lake Perch can be commericialy taken in the Southern half of the Lake. So most Lake Perch in Michigan Resturants are few and far between!
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/18 21:50:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

Around this area Dan's Fish Fry has been operating for years. It has been a long while since we have been to one of their Fish Fry's but they used to be good. I think the deal was Dan would furnish the equipment, the fish and the recipe and the organization that was holding the event would furnish the help with cooking and serving. It was a all you could eat fish or pork fritter dinner with a few sides.
    Local high school bands, clubs, church groups and non profit organizations were the ones usually hosting Dan's Fish Fry's.

Butch
    buckeye1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/19 02:56:14 (permalink)
    Garry -

Here in Ohio we are very discriminating about our fish fry. The best ones are "Lake Erie Perch" fish fries, because they have the freshest fish. I'm always suspicious when I see ads for "Perch" or "Lake Perch", because the product is often imported Lake Victoria perch or zander, or worse yet the dreaded ocean perch.

Bill
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I was wondering if there are any good Friday Night 2005/12/19 08:48:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buckeye1

Garry -

Here in Ohio we are very discriminating about our fish fry. The best ones are "Lake Erie Perch" fish fries, because they have the freshest fish. I'm always suspicious when I see ads for "Perch" or "Lake Perch", because the product is often imported Lake Victoria perch or zander, or worse yet the dreaded ocean perch.

Bill

Man O Man!!!!!!! You really hit the nail onm the Head!!

In the past, I bought, Candian White Lake Perch, in the store, it was like eating carp!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1