I'm done with Cracker Barrel

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10514
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 11:18:17 (permalink)
Louis
The waiters and waitresses who wait on me have never heard of red-eye gravy (and this is in the South!), even when it's on their own menu.  What's the world coming to?
Oh my goodness, that is really hard to believe.  Especially in Kentucky!  Louis, you must sit there and just shake your head.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3648
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 11:58:06 (permalink)
wanderingjew

felix4067

I guess my problem is with people who insist other people are stupid, or ignorant, or any number of other things because they like Cracker Barrel. Or any other chain. God forbid we each have different taste!

Really??????

Please show me where anyone mentioned that other people are stupid or ignorant?

I don't see it anywhere...

Not in so many words, no. But in a few posts it is obviously the thought behind it. Of course, that is true on this site with some people regardless of the chain being discussed. Apparently it is better to open all the chain restaurant threads and complain about how bad they are than to just skip over reading them. If I got that adamant about what other people chose to eat I'd have had a heart attack years ago.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3766
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 12:31:53 (permalink)
felix4067
Not in so many words, no. But in a few posts it is obviously the thought behind it. Of course, that is true on this site with some people regardless of the chain being discussed. Apparently it is better to open all the chain restaurant threads and complain about how bad they are than to just skip over reading them. If I got that adamant about what other people chose to eat I'd have had a heart attack years ago.

Maybe I am missing something here.  It's been known to happen.  But, the original poster started a thread saying that they didn't like the Cracker Barrel.  So, really, this was an anti-thread chain from the beginning.  Heck, it's in the title.

So, the people who came here to defend the Cracker Barrel - wouldn't they be the ones picking the fight this time?  Or, are we only allowed to have threads that discuss the positive values of chains?

Wouldn't it have been just as easy for those who adore the Cracker Barrel to figure out a way to keep themselves out of this discussion?

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7965
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 13:12:42 (permalink)
felix4067

wanderingjew

felix4067

I guess my problem is with people who insist other people are stupid, or ignorant, or any number of other things because they like Cracker Barrel. Or any other chain. God forbid we each have different taste!

Really??????

I can't speak for others, but I write like an autistic (not to offend those who are autistic or  those who know people that are) I write things literally, in other words, if I think that Cracker Barrel sucks, and that Chains in general suck, if you take offense to that- TOO BAD! What I don't understand is why others would think I'm pointing the finger at them when I say an inanimate object sucks to me that's a sign of insecurity. 

I couldn't care less how many people go to chains,  however I still scratch my head in amazement  wondering what  lovers of Chain Food are doing on a website about Roadfood
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1085
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 13:25:50 (permalink)
Speaking only for myself -- I'm not a "lover" of Cracker Barrel.  And I don't really think any of the posters who have commented that their experiences were positive necessarily are, either.  These are anecdotal experiences, and your mileage may vary.

There are times when going to a chain is the only practical option for travelers.  I doubt that ANYone who posts here considers it the best option.

I personally never set foot in McDonalds, Arby's, Burger King, Sbarro, Panda Express, etc.  And I always check the Roadfood site before heading to a new location to figure out where I can find independent Roadfood places. 

But having said that, I am mystified why so many people are getting so angry about this discussion. 

I guess for those who are lucky enough to live in places like Connecticut, with 135 Roadfood listings, the choice is to eat Roadfood, or not to eat at all.   More power to them.  But others may not have that option.  And it is helpful to know which of the chains might provide edible food if you are stuck in an airport or on an Interstate.

It seems as if what is really being said here by some is that there should be no Fast Food Franchises and Non-Roadfood Chains forum on this site, and that the concept of a "Roadfood Chain" (if there are Non-Roadfood Chains, then presumably there are Roadfood Chains) is an oxymoron.   And you may be right at that. 
post edited by rumaki - 2011/07/21 13:45:08
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6361
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 16:22:02 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

felix4067

Maybe I am missing something here.  It's been known to happen.  But, the original poster started a thread saying that they didn't like the Cracker Barrel.  So, really, this was an anti-thread chain from the beginning.  Heck, it's in the title.

So, the people who came here to defend the Cracker Barrel - wouldn't they be the ones picking the fight this time?  Or, are we only allowed to have threads that discuss the positive values of chains?

Wouldn't it have been just as easy for those who adore the Cracker Barrel to figure out a way to keep themselves out of this discussion?

Oh yeah right. So let's say, you're a Yankee Fan, and someone starts a thread listing why the Yankees are terrible...You read it, take umbrage, but should ignore it??, and not point out the errors of that poster's ways as a Yankee fan would.Come on human nature, being what it is, people will debate,,,,and what's so wrong with that, if we learn to remember our opinions are just that, AN OPINION...and we need to live and let live!! Sometimes we can learn and also even change our opinions by listening!!Hey think of a roadfood joint as a chain with only ONE location!!!!!!!!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 16:47:39 (permalink)
OK...I'll take your example.  Now follow mine.  

Let's say you're a Yankee fan.  Let's say you decide you want to post your love of the Yankees on a message board that caters to Red Sox fans.  Would you not expect an endless barrage of grief for doing so?

But, that's just MY opinion, which doesn't agree with your opinion....so, I'm probably wrong.

As far as changing ones' opinions after reading a bunch of who-ha from random people on the Internet, I would like to announce that Cracker Barrel is now my favorite place to find a good breakfast while on the road - or, even on the rare occasion when I am home.  I also plan to switch my life-long baseball allegiance to the Yankees, vote Republican in the next election and open my own hot dog cart.

Now if only there was a place where I could get some good information about what to tip the dog groomer, all of my life's debates could be solved in one handy place.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 16:54:13 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

As far as changing ones' opinions after reading a bunch of who-ha from random people on the Internet, I would like to announce that Cracker Barrel is now my favorite place to find a good breakfast while on the road - or, even on the rare occasion when I am home.  I also plan to switch my life-long baseball allegiance to the Yankees, vote Republican in the next election and open my own hot dog cart.

Anything is possible- You did end up eating Sushi- yes?

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/07/21 16:56:42
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 17:51:48 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Louis
The waiters and waitresses who wait on me have never heard of red-eye gravy (and this is in the South!), even when it's on their own menu.  What's the world coming to?
Oh my goodness, that is really hard to believe.  Especially in Kentucky!  Louis, you must sit there and just shake your head.

Yeah, that's what I do.  I just shake my head.  Apparently folks around here are not teaching their kids anything about the wonders of Southern cooking.  I feel like a teacher when I go in the Cracker Barrel.  These waiters and waitresses look at me and say, "Gosh!  I've never heard of red-eye gravy before!  Does it taste good?" I tell them to try red-eye gravy and cornbread on their break.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/22 08:02:17 (permalink)
Louis

buffetbuster

Louis

Yeah, that's what I do.  I just shake my head.  Apparently folks around here are not teaching their kids anything about the wonders of Southern cooking.  I feel like a teacher when I go in the Cracker Barrel.  These waiters and waitresses look at me and say, "Gosh!  I've never heard of red-eye gravy before!  Does it taste good?" I tell them to try red-eye gravy and cornbread on their break.

Louis

Not to get too of topic, but,
it really isn't that different where I grew up on Long Island, just about all of my friend's kids have never stepped foot in a Jewish Deli, in fact they don't even know what a Jewish Deli is!!! The only thing "Jewish" they've likely ever tried is a bagel, or perhaps a knish and that's it. Now that is just SAD!

Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/22 09:58:46 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Louis

buffetbuster

Louis

Louis

Not to get too of topic, but,
it really isn't that different where I grew up on Long Island, just about all of my friend's kids have never stepped foot in a Jewish Deli, in fact they don't even know what a Jewish Deli is!!! The only thing "Jewish" they've likely ever tried is a bagel, or perhaps a knish and that's it. Now that is just SAD!

It's been about 25 years, but I've been in some Jewish delis when I visited friends in New York, and those places were great!  Really different from what I'm exposed to here in the South.  As Michael Stern observed about our rye bread: it's just tan Wonder Bread.  God only knows what the other items would be if they tried to install a Jewish deli down here.

tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 635
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/23 04:38:17 (permalink)
wanderingjew

felix4067

Really??????

I was told that I have never had pancakes with fresh blueberries and good syrup in my lifetime from somebody that has never met me. Is that close enough?

mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/23 09:54:07 (permalink)
tkitna

wanderingjew

felix4067

Really??????

I was told that I have never had pancakes with fresh blueberries and good syrup in my lifetime from somebody that has never met me. Is that close enough?

Far from it - flawed logic.  You stated "If they didnt have the best pancakes in the world, i'd be done with them too" and I replied that you need to get out more.  Knowing CB offers neither fresh fruit nor real maple syrup, they'd be hard pressed to compete with the best pancakes.  They have "100% Pure Natural Syrup" - Hmm just what is 100% natural syrup - 100% corn syrup?

While complexity doesn't necessarily result in high quality, beyond basic (fresh) blueberries & strawberries, it's also a treat to have fresh blackberries, raspberries, kiwi fruit, etc perhaps topped off with a dab of fresh whipped cream - none of which (fresh fruits) are available at CB.  "Toppings" just don't make it.

While CB may make a good / perhaps very good pancake, I doubt that many would consider them as "the best pancakes in the world".
post edited by mjambro - 2011/07/23 12:42:30
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 635
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/23 23:53:29 (permalink)
mjambro

tkitna

wanderingjew

felix4067

Really??????

Far from it - flawed logic.  You stated "If they didnt have the best pancakes in the world, i'd be done with them too" and I replied that you need to get out more.  Knowing CB offers neither fresh fruit nor real maple syrup, they'd be hard pressed to compete with the best pancakes.  They have "100% Pure Natural Syrup" - Hmm just what is 100% natural syrup - 100% corn syrup?

While complexity doesn't necessarily result in high quality, beyond basic (fresh) blueberries & strawberries, it's also a treat to have fresh blackberries, raspberries, kiwi fruit, etc perhaps topped off with a dab of fresh whipped cream - none of which (fresh fruits) are available at CB.  "Toppings" just don't make it.

While CB may make a good / perhaps very good pancake, I doubt that many would consider them as "the best pancakes in the world".

Ok, my exaggeration was a bit much. I realize that there's better pancakes to be had and I dont go out of my way to try to hit a Cracker Barrel every weekend just for their pancakes. What I meant and should have said is that I have absolutly no issues eating at a Cracker Barrel because when I do, i'll order the pancakes which have been excellent every single time i've eaten them.

To be honest, I was really just surprised at how defensive the reply was. Its silly how invested people get over little things.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/24 05:41:05 (permalink)
To clear the record, Cracker Barrel serves real maple syrup packaged by Maple Grove Farms. 
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/24 09:58:34 (permalink)
MellowRoast

To clear the record, Cracker Barrel serves real maple syrup packaged by Maple Grove Farms. 

According to http://www.walletpop.com/2009/03/07/c/, it's a 55/45 Maple syrup / cane sugar blend.
Perhaps that's why they refer to it as "100% Pure Natural Syrup" vs. "real" maple syrup.   I suspect 100% corn syrup  could also meet that definition, even with flavor additives.  That's good to know.  I was equally impressed to find they do serve their pancakes with real butter (and claim to use real whipped cream).  Too many places use margarine - an easy way to ruin an otherwise good meal.  

Hmm - may now have to try their pancakes when traveling & don't have a good alternative for breakfast.

post edited by mjambro - 2011/07/24 10:07:57
MellowRoast
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/24 10:02:03 (permalink)
I've been ordering pancakes at Cracker Barrel for decades and just had a batch early this morning.  However, if they stop serving it, I'll brown bag my own like I do at IHOP. 
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/24 10:42:17
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 475
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/24 16:14:46 (permalink)
I think one thing that might be remembered in the battle of "chain vs. roadfood" is that everybody who uses this website has familiarity with most chains, particularly interstate chains if not necessarily mall food court ones, whereas that isn't the case for the mom-n-pops that we all love.  And while I wouldn't presume to think that it's unanimous, I would suggest that some of us users under the age of 45 grew up in an age when our parents thought they were doing us a big treat by going out to eat at a chain restaurant.  As I mentioned in the thread that sparked this one, Cracker Barrel was a big hit with my family on road trips in the late 1970s/early 1980s.  And, in those pre-internet days, chains meant reliable consistency, which is why my folks would go to a Big Boy on a big road trip.

There is, to my mind, value in the chains because it's part of all of our shared experiences, and just because some of us no longer wish to frequent Cracker Barrel, we shouldn't get upitty with our fellows who still enjoy the pancakes or whatever.

And we certainly should not speak in terms of moral absolutes.  I'd like to think that my roadfood credentials are reasonably sound (33 from this website visited for my blog, with a 34th coming in tomorrow's post: http://marieletseat.blogs.../roadfood.com-approved ), but by thunder, I absolutely loves me some Krystal and Del Taco.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/24 16:22:15 (permalink)
But if we can't throw rotten tomatoes at chainfood restaurants on Roadfood.com, where can we? 
MellowRoast
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 08:20:39 (permalink)
I've been eating at Cracker Barrel since about '73, and while I'm not sure I've noticed an overall decline, I can attest that the food quality can go up and down at virtually any location, and some stores seem to be more consistent than others.  But they've taken some of my favorite things off the menu, like their wonderful bread pudding.  Also, after several decades, they replaced the Sugar In The Raw packets with white sugar (in similar light brown packets - sneaky!).  One location here (I-24 @ US 41, Exit 174), however, is amazingly good and rarely disappoints.  
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/25 08:22:34
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1512
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 09:42:15 (permalink)
I'm pretty the portion size has bee cut down considerably of some of the dishes. The country fried used to be quite a bit larger and the Country ham slice I got as a dinner entree a couple of month ago was paltry.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 11:31:41 (permalink)
David_NYC
One should only post in this thread if they are a long time customer of Cracker Barrel. 

Do you get a snazzy arm band to wear while you play hall monitor?

rumaki

There are times when going to a chain is the only practical option for travelers.  I doubt that ANYone who posts here considers it the best option.

I personally never set foot in McDonalds, Arby's, Burger King, Sbarro, Panda Express, etc.  

See, here's another thing that confuses me.  It would seem that you view these particular chains as somehow less than other chains.  If one frequents chain restaurants, in a pinch, let's say....does it matter that they only select from Restaurant X, Y, or Z, but not A, B, or C?  I've eaten at all of the above-named places - in a pinch.  You never know where you'll find an oasis after three flight delays over four time zones.  Trust me - there are times when a Sbarro looks darn much like Totonno's and McDonald's could pass for the Beacon Drive-In.

rumaki
But having said that, I am mystified why so many people are getting so angry about this discussion. 

Who's angry?  The only people in this thread that seem upset are those who came to a thread to defend Cracker Barrel to those who don't like it.
rumaki
I guess for those who are lucky enough to live in places like Connecticut, with 135 Roadfood listings, the choice is to eat Roadfood, or not to eat at all.   More power to them.  But others may not have that option.

I have found wonderful "Roadfood" that was never "listed" or discussed on this site.  It really isn't THAT hard.  Where I live, there is exactly ONE Roadfood "listed" restaurant within 50 miles.  If I just wanted to eat at places that were listed on this web site, I'd starve.

Besides that, there is no one here (even WJ) who is telling anyone else that they SHOULDN'T eat in corporate, national, cookie-cutter, chain (so as to distinguish from the successful business owner who has opened a number of nearby locations) restaurants.  There are just some of us who are confused as to why others would continue to come here and post about them - on a web site dedicated to smaller, locally-owner and operated, decisions-made-in-the-kitchen-not-in-the-boardroom kinds of places...and then wonder why posting such praise would garner any sort of backlash reactions?  
Heartbreaksoup
There is, to my mind, value in the chains because it's part of all of our shared experiences, and just because some of us no longer wish to frequent Cracker Barrel, we shouldn't get upitty with our fellows who still enjoy the pancakes or whatever.

"Uppity?"  This web site is the only place in the whole world where it is considered "uppity" to NOT want to go the Cheesecake Factory over a local restaurant.  I can't count how many of my friends consider it a treat - a special occasion night - to go the Cheesecake Factory or the Melting Pot or some such.  They don't understand why I DON'T want to go - but, I can't imagine a single one of them thinks that I am being "uppity" about things.

This web site did used to be about shared experiences.  Now, I am pretty sure that the only experience we all share is that we use the Internet.  And, to be clear, that's no great accomplishment.  My four year old niece can do it.
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1512
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 12:14:04 (permalink)
This site has developed into more of an all around food discussion site as I see it. The owners have established forums where are all types of food related discussions can take place. The forums are pretty well labeled so it's fairly easy to avoid subjects that would cause one distress.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 12:28:16 (permalink)
"....all types of food related discussion...."

Except for the discussions where people are of the opinion that they don't like to eat at chain restaurants?
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 12:31:46 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

David_NYC
One should only post in this thread if they are a long time customer of Cracker Barrel. 

Do you get a snazzy arm band to wear while you play hall monitor?

I've deleted my two posts to this thread.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 12:36:00 (permalink)
The Travelin Man

Who's angry?  The only people in this thread that seem upset are those who came to a thread to defend Cracker Barrel to those who don't like it.

To clarify, I'm not defending Cracker Barrel (or any other chain) to those who don't like it. What I am doing is telling people who come into the ONE forum on this site specifically dedicated to "Fast Food Franchises & Non-Roadfood Chains" purely to b***h about the fact that they exist to skip over this ONE forum on the site. Those who start a thread (such as this one) to complain about a specific experience at a specific chain? That's part of what it's for, so go for it! Those who jump on the "all chains are evil and must be destroyed, and anyone who eats at one is not worthy of this website" bandwagon in every single thread about a chain need to get over themselves.

You said yourself...in a pinch, just about any chain will do. And whether the Roadfood purists like it or not, some chains serve some items which are actually superior to similar items served at a Roadfood place. It happens. If everyone was good at everything, all restaurants would be the same, and we'd be bored as heck. I have no problem with someone who eats at a particular restaurant (be it a chain or not) and, after a disappointing experience, comes here to post about it. It's when people jump in with "I've never eaten there and I never will because of (whatever reason)", yet go on to say how awful it is, that I have a problem. Like my mom always said when I was little, "How do you know you don't like it if you haven't even tried it?" I'd have lost out on a lot of good Roadfood if I refused to eat something because I decided without ever trying it that I didn't like it. Maybe, just maybe...chains deserve the same consideration.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 13:09:32 (permalink)
My view of the Fast Food Franchises and Non-Roadfood Chains is that it is like the old time village stocks, where one could pelt miscreants (the restaurants) with filth and refuse.  Or maybe like the dumpster behind every restaurant.  One doesn't celebrate the contents of the dumpster, no matter how necessary it is.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 13:58:52 (permalink)
But what's the point? Just to make yourself feel superior to someone else on the internet? If chains bother you so, just stay out of the one forum on this site where they are acceptable to discuss. Kind of like the people who have huge issues about there being whatever it is I always see about hot dog vendors (I wouldn't know, as I have forums I'm not interested in reading hidden...it's this amazing feature here). Don't like it? Don't read it! It's not rocket science!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 15:54:00 (permalink)
I'm not sure why it's so important for you to put words into other people's mouths.  So far, I have seen you resort to that tactic, as well as name-calling to try to make your point.  In my experience, that is usually the last resort of those with no argument.

Why do you think that people who don't write about chain restaurants on a web site dedicated to celebrating non-chain restaurants feel "superior?"  I only ask WHY some people choose to about these things here - and instead of getting an answer, somehow, that gets twisted into a completely different statement ("all chains are evil and must be destroyed, and anyone who eats at one is not worthy of this website").  Who said anyone is not worthy of this site?  I guess if you have no real answer to the question, the only thing left to do is bluster about something else - while pointing your finger back at the person who asked you the question.

While I can't speak for anyone else, your comment about "every thread" about chains turning into this pro-versus-anti chain debate, I can assure you that it has been YEARS since *I* have touched the subject.   There are countless fast-food and chain threads that crop up that I don't ever venture near.  Usually, if I do, it is because the thread is not posted in the chain section.  I don't recall if this one was initially or not.  I see it is there now.  I'm sure that this is just more exaggeration and hyperbole, but, in addition to that, it's just...well...wrong.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3756
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 16:17:49 (permalink)
I love getting on here and complaining about chains.......................most of them really suck.  It  may be a neccesity at  times,to have to endure a meal there,  but  no reason to even post about them on  Roadfood. 
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1