I'm done with Cracker Barrel

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3470
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 16:22:42 (permalink)
Please, show me examples of my name-calling. And what you see as putting words in other people's mouths, I see as putting what I think they've said into my own words to make sure I understand. I am always open to correction if I am wrong. The fact that seldom does anyone choose to correct me (and if someone does it is rarely the person I was quoting) leads me to believe I am correct in my interpretation. But seriously...if I'm wrong, please let me know. How else would I learn? I'm sure that sounds sarcastic if you choose to read it that way, but I'm being serious.

I am sorry it sounded as if I thought YOU were saying the things I used as an example in my above post. You do not. I was just trying to explain my thoughts in posting in this particular thread, as you seem to have been asking. Perhaps you weren't.

I do not, in fact, think that people who don't write about chain restaurants here feel superior. What I do feel is that those who have never eaten at a particular chain yet find it necessary to wax poetic about how awful it is must feel superior in some way to those who eat there. Otherwise, why bother even talking about something outside their experience? I realize everyone is entitled to an opinion, but expressing a strong opinion about something with which you (the collective "you", not you in particular) have no personal experience seems somewhat ignorant to me. I don't talk about how good or bad a steamed cheeseburger is because I've never had one. Similarly, if you've never eaten at Cracker Barrel, commenting on the quality of the food is silly.

I'm sorry I chose to use hyperbole. I forgot this is one of those sites where it is often misunderstood. Let me clarify...every thread about a chain does not turn into the same debate. I was wrong to say so. It is entirely possible that this particular thread was originally placed elsewhere on the site...I know they do get moved. I didn't see it until it was in this forum, however, so it's a possible failing on my part to assume this is where it started.

Maybe people choose to talk about chain restaurants here because there is a forum within this site for them to do so? Maybe they, like me, prefer a Roadfood-type restaurant, yet can't always find one on the road. Some of the threads here start out as a positive comment on whatever chain is the subject, but often (notice I didn't say "always") someone jumps in with something to the effect of "I can't believe you'd eat there, and why are you talking about it on this site". No, that is not a direct quote, just so we're clear. But since this site recognizes chains and fast food as a necessary evil, those who constantly harp on the subject being inappropriate are wasting their time and raising their blood pressure unnecessarily, in my opinion.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 16:33:17 (permalink)
I am not raising my blood presure.  I  just find it amusing that  there are possters  on ROADFOOD  that go to so many chains!  If  I have go go  to a chain,  I do not feel the need to go on here and say a word about it.  (I like to hide my shame.)  I will go on however on how dreadful a place is, if the occasion arises.
post edited by Greymo - 2011/07/25 16:39:12
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6244
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 16:50:46 (permalink)
Greymo...I have enjoyed travelling and Roadfood as I travel for most of my 65 years...and I do enjoy a few select fast food places when we're travelling. I, myself have been made fun of for suggesting Bubba Gumps in Manhattan has a great view of Times Square and is a fun place to visit. However I wouild never go to a chain pizza joint. This argument about being a roadfood site comes up a lot. Roadfood people can also enjoy some chains. This one does...and there is a forum to discuss them. Nothing funny about that!!!!
Felix4067, I think. has honestly, fairly, and nicely stated his points. No one here need feel the need to defend the sacred honor of roadfood. We all love it!!!!!
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/25 17:04:30 (permalink)
I started this thread and I can assure all of you that it started in this forum.
db1105
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/31 18:15:46 (permalink)
CB is more roadside garbage rather than food.  They can even screw up breakfast. I usually have to be pretty desperate to stop there anymore.
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/31 18:45:53 (permalink)
I've had more good meals (even excellent) at Cracker Barrel than bad, but when they're bad, you can bet I give the manager a polite earful.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/31 18:47:37
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/31 19:36:08 (permalink)
db1105

CB is more roadside garbage rather than food.  They can even screw up breakfast. I usually have to be pretty desperate to stop there anymore.

Well, again that's opinion masguarading as fact...others here obviously disagree with that analysis. I hate Pizza Hut, you may like it....to you it's not "garbage".....and if you want to eat it so be it....
post edited by leethebard - 2011/07/31 19:38:10
ces1948
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/31 23:23:56 (permalink)
I read a long article yesterday about CB hiring a new advertising firm to "revitalize" the brand. The article went on and on but I don't believe in once mentioned the food itself.
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 11:12:12 (permalink)

I worked in a Cracker Barrell once back in the 1990's.

The day shift were a bunch of old middle aged Florence Castleberry types. People who have been there for a long time, did the morning shift and then went home to bed. These 50'ish women out there doing that everyday, my mother always told me that she was thankful she married my father and does not have to do that type of work. The women all hated working in Cracker Barrell, but this was it for them. They were 53 years old, with kids and grandkids, rent and everything else, and this is the only job they can get. What the schools should do is to get all the at risk kids who may drop out of school and have them talk to one of these old broads.

The CB attracted a lot of religious people, especially Pentecostals and other religious sects because CB did not serve beer or alcohol. Consequently, CB hired some Pentecostal waitstaff, since this was a place where there was no alcohol. The girls themselves were almost enough temptation to join their flock. This is actually a date place for the Pentecostals. You can tell a Pentecostal girl because they have long hair and wear blue jean skirts, since they cannot wear pants. They did not try to witness to you about the faith, but I have always had an interest in religion and I have asked them questions. They dont believe in the Trinity, which I thought was interesting. They dont play with snakes either. Too bad, because that sideshow I would have woken up on Sunday to see.

I liked the Pentecostals except for this one waiter, who always worked the other side of the room. He was a closeted homosexual and went to a local Pentecostal College. The guy would come back from taking an order and talk snarky about every guest he had. He hated children and hated women bringing in babies, saying stuff like "There's a woman and her fetus outside." Never was repremanded for that. I got wrote up once for saying "Sh*T!" while this guy talked that way about complete strangers. (The complainant was a woman whose last name was BEAVERS, which I found quite humorous. I never wanted to see her beaver anyway.)  Eventually, Rev. Closet he was booted from the strict college for something stupid like watching a PG movie and he walked out of the closet. I wasnt there for the openly gay Pentecostal guy.

Before we could go home, we had to do a duty called closing sidework and have to roll a certain number of silverware, which was taking a knife, spoon and fork and rolling them into a paper napkin. Usually we would have to do about 100-200 of these. What we would do when the dining room was slow was to get a bus tub, roll the silverware and then hide them under the ice maker or a prep/drink table so another waiter wont "steal" them and claim that it was their work. Perhaps this was the reason for the lack of silverware. Remember that when you are eating out that hundreds of mouths have used those, and quite possibly a spider under a table urinated on your fork that was hidden away like buried treasure.

I hated all the customers who wanted breakfast for dinner. It always annoyed me that the host never asked the customers if they would like breakfast or dinner and I would always have to do unnecessary running around because Shorlanda or Tennika couldnt be bothered to do their jobs.  A bunch old oldies came in one night, parking them at the far side of the room, with half of them wanting the breakfast menu. Old bitty wants "An egg sandwich with hash browns and the hash browns comes with the egg sandwich". The egg sandwich was not on the menu, it is a "secret item", a special request, whatever. It was a party of 8 or 10 and trying to keep up. When I tallied up their bill, the old bitty was charged for her hashbrowns and she went nuts. "I TOLD YOU IT CAME WITH HASHBROWNS!" just berating me and going ape. I was pleasant though. Killing old ladies is a capital offence in the state of Mississippi.

The place (really) to get if you want to vent anger or frustration was in the walk in cooler. In the walkin, you can yell, scream, curse,  whatever. Close the door, no one can hear you. The cold also has the effect of cooling down one's anger. Usually people were cool and I had little problems with them. Working in a stressful environment with a depressed, overworked staff, some of whom probably with a “past” just wasn’t fun.

We would have regulars come. One was an old lady known as the "Soup and Salad lady" because, of course, this is what she ordered. She came in between the lunch and dinner rush, never asked for anything, and paid her check and left. One of the older full time women nicknamed her "Tuna Salad Lady" or something.

An older man with Parkinsons or palsey who shakes and had trouble talking defensively announcing that he isn't drunk, and then describe what was wrong with him. Cant say that I cared. If he was drunk, I would have suggested some hashbrowns and black coffee.
 A lot of elderly, elderly, nursing home escapees old customers. There was also a family with a strange, slow developmental daughter (maybe autistic?) who ordered "cheese and crackers", one of those hidden items that is available, that she would eat at a meal. Made me wonder if this is all this person ate.

We hated tour busses. Be aware of that if you are on a bus that stops for lunch somewhere.  One day, the band KORN stopped. The bus driver came inside first, wanted his food fast and get back to the bus. He gave me $5. Then the band came in, and I and another waitress took care of them (they were a-holes by the way), and left us $10.  

Well, I and the waitress split the 10 bucks and she wanted half of my bus driver tip. I told her that I did that by myself, and she said that he was part of the group. It became somewhat heated with me backing down and giving her the $2.50 to shut her up, the managers were of no help. She was a crackhead (I knew that because I have done drugs) who eventually quit Cracker Barrell and went to rehab, with her parents paying for it.  A lot of the staff were drug addicts, in recovery or religious people.

The cooks on the line were all black, including one dude who was from Chicago and in a gang. The cooks stayed, but the wait staff was basically a rotating gang of people, especially in the evenings. That place worked you like a dog for a measley $2.13 plus tips. Then the closing staff gets to clean the place, roll silverware and do sidework for an hour, then sit in the joint until the manager gets done to let you out.

I did a triple shift in there on a Sunday, was in that store 14 hours and made $95 in tips. I was so damned tired, and I still had to roll silverware twice from lunch to dinner. That place was always out of silverware. Our dish guy was a young black kid who got into a physical fight with a waitress, but he still got to keep his job. Her name is Brandy, which made me wonder why any woman would name her child after a type of liquor.

A lot of times the store manager will call your house on your day off and try to make you come in, which to me was a pain. The last place I wanted to be was Cracker Barrell with the loonies, religious nuts, depressed, overworked people, et all. The assistant manager, who is chained to that company, wearing the tie and short sleeved shirt, with the pregnant wife with kid number two. Ugh. All the dreams of High School reduced for working for a Hillbilly Company off a highway in a rinky dink town.

Managers were OK for the most part. There was one manager a lot of us loathed. He would let people into the dining room five minutes before close (waiters hate that!). He got slugged in the face by a dine and dasher he was chasing with us cheering the bandit. A lot of workers disliked the morning/lead manager, on the line he was very strict, yelled a lot, and got really aggrevated if he heard a dish break. Off the floor, he was a nice guy. I think these guys make good money, but the stress, and having to be at or near the store almost everyday, dealing with all the things they have to do, working for some jackoff hillbilly company. The gift shop manager lady was a mad Frau who was loathed by her workers. She, (liked almost everyone else in the CB) hated working there, hated her job, hated the place. I wonder how many retail managers in America justs snaps and ends up in a mental ward or violently worse.

My last manager was an ex-Marine guy who had to shake things up under his command. He wasnt a hard arss perse, but he had the need to make the place “his own” and making changes and being even more authoritarian than the last guy, someone most of us personally liked. I had enough of the place and made an escape mid shift, and told the manager on the way out to get someone else to serve this slop. Some poor couple probably sat in there for an hour because I took their order, the cook read it wrong, we got into a disagreement, the cook was a crazy Chicago Crip and I wasnt going to get capped fir that.

One of the cooks moonlighted at the Waffle House, or one could say that he sunlighted at the Cranky Barrell, or whatever. Guy is working two hot jobs all the time. Supposedly Waffle House actually pays an OK salary for experienced line cooks. At least, unlike Waffle House that Cranky Barrell was a drunk magnet. Occasionally a man will get a bit distressed that CB serves no alcohol and looks at his wife in dismay or disgust. I would. I dont know if there are smoking and non smoking sections anymore, but I usually did the smoker side, since I was a nicotine addict at the time and did not mind.

The best thing on the menu is the Peanut Butter pie. I also liked their bread, especially the cornbread. The lady that made our bread was this huge, jolly black women. Every restaurant in the south has a huge, jolly black woman the kitchen. Just walk into one and ask, “May I please speak to the huge, jolly, black woman please?” they will know who she is.

CB also had this signature brand of soda, one was a root beer and the other was an orange cream that was delightful. The rest of the food is Ok to mediocre, and for breakfast, Waffle House and places like that are cheaper and better than CB.

I will say that when I escaped from Cranky Barrell, I kept the apron, which they sewed my name on the front (which was cool.) My mother still has it and uses it in the kitchen.

ces1948
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 11:35:38 (permalink)
Wow!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7830
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 11:43:31 (permalink)
Piece of work.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 11:52:29 (permalink)
I feel like I'm tending bar again.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 12:08:58 (permalink)
MiamiDon

I feel like I'm tending bar again.

Great!   I now feel the need for a drink!" />
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 12:41:51 (permalink)
senor boogie woogie

I worked in a Cracker Barrell once back in the 1990's.

Not that I read your rant (I didn't) I was just wondering if you've ever been to a non chain restaurant since all you write about are chains?
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 13:19:20 (permalink)
Someone needs an editor.....!!!!!
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 13:59:52 (permalink)
I didnt mean for the post to be so long, but thinking about my time there brought out a lot of stories that I havent thought about in many years. I dont think The Cracker is much different than any other place. But restaurant work really sucks. For most of the workers, there is little advancement, the pay was a joke, and the clintele were not big tipper with a lot of them just passing through to somewhere else. The managers were there 6 days a week, in a stressful environment, dealing with unhappy, overworked staff and crappy customers. The manager who hired me was a very nice man who was very respectful and never lost his cool and I enjoyed working for him. He left and Sgt. Numbnuts came along. Didnt want to work for Camp Cracker Barrel.

Every worker just loathed working there, with many quitting after a few months, except for the old ladies on day shift who are lifers, who work there just to pay the bills week by week. The younger workers were the Pentecostals, also, the druggy people, the "people in recovery" people, ghetto boys, white trash. The psycho who worked in the dish room. He went insane one night when it was about 11 PM, dog tired, with the machine broken and a commercial restaurant full of dishes.

There were three gays, including Rev. Closet. One was very open about being gay and it wasnt an issue and the old waitresses just loved him to death. The Mother/Daughter waitress team of Brandy and Mother of Brandy. Brandy was the one who get hit by the dishwasher. He kicked her ass actually. Manager just broke it up and no one was fired.

Cranky has two kinds of ham, country ham and city ham. The country ham smelled like dirty feet and was salty, while the "city ham" was sweet and like the ham people have for the holidays. Once I sent out the wrong ham and convinced the 200 year old lady that it was the right one. Most oldsters are pissed off people. They are near the end and know it.

The floors in the CB were, to borrow a certain phrase from my father, "More slippery than owl dung." I slipped on the floor inside the kitchen and on the floor numerous times. I should have staged an accident and sued the CB for millions.

Once, I was serving a middle aged couple of about 50, and their very old mother and because of the slippery floor, accidentally spilled about a half a jug of water on the ancient woman's head. The daughter rightfully gets angry, and we do what we can to dry her off. They finished their food with me coming aroud and telling them I was sorry one more time, to have the daughter keeping me quiet, telling me that the old lady has dementia and forgot about the incident already.

Once we had an idiot who wanted his pork chops rare. Turned in the ticket and was told by the asst. manager that it cant be prepared that way because of trichinosis and bacteria, but I said that it the way he wants it, and the customer is always right, and was told that no, the customer is not always right and they dont want to be sued. This was the poor guy who tried to call me on my one day off.
------------------------------------
I'll talk about what I liked/love about CB....

1.) Again, that peanut butter pie.

2.) The bottled orange creme soda.

3.) Ask for the jellies with the bread. The managers do not like to give these out because of food costs.

4.) The bread is good, eat all you want.

5.) I liked a lot of that stuff on the walls and would decorate my home like that. I also liked the smell of the CB, sort of a woodsy, slight cinnamon smell.

6.) The food isnt bad, and this isnt a 'I hate CB', but I would not eat their for breakfast as a first choice. It's more expensive for what it is, and a lot of places serve good breakfast. It's not that hard to make. I would choose CB over Shoney's (blech!) but would choose Waffle House over CB.

7.) They do not sell alcohol. This is a selling point to some.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 14:03:38 (permalink)
Do you hate everyone?
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 14:12:37 (permalink)
He liked the manager who hired him!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 14:15:30 (permalink)

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10178
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 14:23:53 (permalink)
Just when you thought this thread couldn't get any more bizarre.....
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 14:34:51 (permalink)
Well, I could tell the story of the time my  daughter in law  went into a Cracker  Barrel and tried to get them to post a notice up on their "community bulletin board"  which she was certain that every "contry store"  would have!   Naw---guess I will not bother.  No one would believe it!
post edited by Greymo - 2011/08/02 14:40:12
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4522
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/08/02 15:04:15 (permalink)
Does Sgt. Numbnuts still post here?  He cracks me up.
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/09/01 09:39:11 (permalink)
To clarify the 100% Pure Natural Syrup vs Real Maple Syrup controversy at Cracker Barrel, it's apparently a temporary situation, thankfully.  Here is a portion of the email explanation I received from Guest Relations:

We have always prided ourselves on serving the best quality syrup we could find and still do.  However, due to circumstances out of our control, we can not serve the 100% maple syrup at this time.

We do hope this elimination is temporaryWith recent weather changes and drier climates, there is a nationwide shortage in the production of maple syrup.  There just isn't enough being harvested to meet the demand required to serve 100% syrup.  Some grocery chains are still able to sell 100% maple syrup.  However, the price has increased substantially.

At Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, we decided instead of raising our prices and still having the potential to run out, we began searching for an alternative.  After several focus group surveys, our guests picked the blend they thought most like our 100% syrup.

Again, we are certainly hopeful for better harvests next season so that we can once again serve you the 100% maple syrup everyone likes so much.

Sincerely,

Sandra Vance
Guest Relations Representative
Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.

post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/09/01 09:40:48
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/09/18 13:17:16 (permalink)
We ate at the new one outside of Frankfort, KY, yesterday.  It was good and we both enjoyed our meals.  As usual, it was right off of an exit and we were heading home and didn't want to drive around.  You either like it you don't - and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.  There are several roadfood places we've been to (though most have been very good) that we wouldn't set foot in again. 
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/09/18 16:04:50 (permalink)
AndreaB
Yep,,,that was my point above....some roadfood is terrible...and some franchise food is fine!!!....Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and food is in the mouth of the eater!!!!

We ate at the new one outside of Frankfort, KY, yesterday.  It was good and we both enjoyed our meals.  As usual, it was right off of an exit and we were heading home and didn't want to drive around.  You either like it you don't - and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.  There are several roadfood places we've been to (though most have been very good) that we wouldn't set foot in again. 

lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/09/18 21:32:36 (permalink)
WOW. That was an interesting read. We've eaten at lots Cracker Barrels in TN, GA, NC, FL, VA, SC, AL, LA, MS. TX and NM. Hands down, the best is in Tiftonia, TN (outside of Chattanooga). It is a "test" store where they test out new recipes. We like that one so much, that we shifted our rout to were we stopped in Tiftonia for the night before heading on out. We were traveling from NC to NM. If you have bad food or service at a Cracker Barrel, then you need to contact the company. I have several times. Mostly about the Cordele GA Cracker Barrel. It's the worst  but you would have to live in Cordele for a while to understand why. Smoakies BBQ is the best food in town that we have had but I really don't want BBQ for breakfast or every meal. And we haven't had a decent biscuit since the CB breakfast just before we crossed into TX. No one out here (NM) knows what grits are either. I'm working on the Albuquerque I-25 CB  on their biscuits. By the time they can get them right consistently, we will have moved on, darn it. For us, we can pull our RV (which is our home) into a CB, eat breakfast and then not stop until suppertime at another CB. We can even spend the night in many places. For this courtesy, we usually eat supper then eat breakfast the next morning with them. We do not have the time to wander around looking for a place to eat at. Also our 40 ft bus towing my Jeep or our food cart will not fit into a lot of parking lots. And usually the type of restaurants that this forum seems to like have small parking lots.  We love Wal-Mart and Sam's Club parking lots for Wallydocking. Often there is a restaurant adjacent to the parking lot that we can walk to. But with a CB, we pretty much know what we will get and we don't do any fast food places.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/09/19 07:09:09 (permalink)
Wow....CB is sure a big part of your life...have you EVER seen even one where the floor plan, store plan, variewd even one bit? Love that traffic light over the bathrooms...check out counter at the left...etc. CB is like an old friend you can trust when you travel...no surprises, you know the menu,the food is good...great prices...and cool antiques and ads to stare at..love thoseold Maxwell House coffee tins! We always can find some old fashioned rare candy bar(Sky Bars or Turkish Taffee) to take along with us...a dvd of an old childhood tv show,,,Say,how are you "working on" the Albuquerque crew to get better biscuits?? Thanks for a great report!
lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/09/19 16:11:28 (permalink)
leethebard

Wow....CB is sure a big part of your life.... Say,how are you "working on" the Albuquerque crew to get better biscuits?? Thanks for a great report!

We are fulltime Rvers, who still work (we have a food cart). We tell them if the biscuits are good or bad and what they are doing wrong. Now I am not surprised to get slightly undercooked biscuits when they are busy. but they  tend to play with the biscuit dough too much. And we tell them, nicely. They are either over mixing, rolling it out too much or both. We eat at the CB in Albuquerque when we make a supply run for the food cart. That's usually once a week.... until we leave at the end of October.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1