The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
mar52

• Total Posts: 7598
Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 12:39 PM (permalink)
I'm hoping that my SS clicks in when my unemployment runs out.

Reality says I'll be leaving California to live in the state of Poverty.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
    Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 1:27 PM (permalink)
    Personally IMHO, regardless of what some Republicans tell you, Americans will not allow Social Security to die. They're are just way too many folks out there both R & D that will need it as they get older. Although, I think Medicare might change from what it is now. Please! I don't mean to inject politics into this thread but, just trying to reassure those of you out there that are in similar situations as mar52.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 2:38 PM (permalink)
      Its funny you say that, twinwillow.I was thinking the same thing while reading earlier posts-I dont think  SS will die, even for me.Its not like people get rich off of it-my Father, who made over $100,000 a year as a professor in 1995( he had to also consult alot and be the head of his department) only received $1000.00 a month when he retired after 40 years of working.Not much to live on.We all have to plan as best we can. As Foodbme stated, I made some foolish money mistakes, but hopefully will recover when I am "of age" to retire. In the meantime, I hope to live vicariously thru your retirement adventures!!!
      On that note-we should have a roadfood adventure in Milwaukee!
      <message edited by annpeeples on Fri, 06/3/11 2:41 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 2:56 PM (permalink)
        annpeeples

On that note-we should have a roadfood adventure in Milwaukee!

Second that, Ann. But, wait till I get my hybrid. I never want to fly again.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
          Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 3:51 PM (permalink)
          Hello all ,
          I do hope to collect at least twice as long as I worked , hopefully longer , and I do   wish that the economy would improve for everyone .
          While many of my friends were working on Wall street in the 80s and 90s making six figures and five figure bonnuses , I was patrolling the streets of the South Bronx and Washington Hts in NYC  and getting my  you know what busted for doing so for less than what a custodian made at the time in NYC .
          No complaints because I knew after  twenty yrs I could retire with a pension , wasnt easy , but it was done .
          Now these same guys are laid off , unemployed , one friend was working at BJ's stocking shelves and living in his parents basement .
          The test was there for the taking , I took it .
          Love and Mercy - Brian Wilson

Benzee

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 4:56 PM (permalink)
            Well put, Benzee!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
              Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 5:07 PM (permalink)
              Twinwillow,  If you are coming to Pittston anytime soon, let me know and I will build a RF event around your visit  

If I'm ever in "The Big D" again, I'll look you up.  Maybe we can do a Texas Red Tour with PapaJoe8

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 5:12 PM (permalink)
                Many thanks, Joe. I 'll take you upon that one day. PapaJoe knows me. He's been in my shop. Sorry to sound ignorant but, where is Pittston in relationship to other cities in Pa? 

joerogo

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 5:27 PM (permalink)
                  Twinwillow

Many thanks, Joe. I 'll take you upon that one day. PapaJoe knows me. He's been in my shop. Sorry to sound ignorant but, where is Pittston in relationship to other cities in Pa? 

Boy, you don't get out much do you?  Pittston is right between Hughestown and Exeter 

BTW, What did you retire from doing?

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 5:33 PM (permalink)
                    I've been an antique silver dealer and appraiser in Dallas since 1968.
                    I see Pittston is near Wilkes-Barre. Joe, you've got to realize, being in Texas is like Pittston could be on the moon. (LOL)

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                      Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 5:43 PM (permalink)
                      Did you appraise coins?

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                        Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 8:35 PM (permalink)
                        Pittston is a place you go through when you have to go some
                        place important. 
                        Ann Peeples if you want to live vicariously use Seafarer John and the Sundancer Kid as your models . Or DAVY , now there is a retirement
                        for you.  Those guys know how to live it up.

joerogo

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 9:11 PM (permalink)
                          Ooops!

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 9:38 PM (permalink)
                            Greymo

Did you appraise coins?

Sorry, no I don't.

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 10:32 PM (permalink)
                              the ancient mariner

Pittston is a place you go through when you have to go some
                              place important. 
                              Ann Peeples if you want to live vicariously use Seafarer John and the Sundancer Kid as your models . Or DAVY , now there is a retirement
                              for you.  Those guys know how to live it up.

Second that!

MiamiDon

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Sat, 06/4/11 7:19 AM (permalink)
                                Twinwillow

Personally IMHO, regardless of what some Republicans tell you, Americans will not allow Social Security to die. They're are just way too many folks out there both R & D that will need it as they get older. Although, I think Medicare might change from what it is now. Please! I don't mean to inject politics into this thread but, just trying to reassure those of you out there that are in similar situations as mar52.

Well, you DID interject politics into this thread!

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Sat, 06/4/11 9:28 AM (permalink)
                                  Per what many of us have discussed in this thread, I'm sure some of you will find this article regarding Social Security on Yahoo today interesting if not pertinent to your own situations.

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/112844/3-ways-social-security-payments-being-cut-smartmoney?mod=fidelity-livingretirement&cat=fidelity_2010_living_in_retirement

HDtravlr1

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 07/6/11 7:22 AM (permalink)
                                    Twinwillow
                                    We don't have any roadfood events in Tulsa. But we could make something up if you are in the neighborhood! I have been to Dallas often for meetings and try to get in at least one roadfood type stop. Made it to a few you have recommended over the years. My favorite chinese place in the Big D metro is First Chinese BBQ. I love great chinese. Thank you for recommending this place it is awesome!

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 07/6/11 10:13 AM (permalink)
                                      Hi, HDtravlr1. 
                                      Yup, First Chinese BBQ in Richardson (Dallas) is still the best Cantonese Chinese restaurant between San Francisco and NYC. We have so many good little ethnic restaurants in Dallas now. It's truly becoming a very multi-cultural city. Try and let me know when you're in Dallas, next time.
                                      Better than suggest where to eat, more valuable is tell you where not to eat.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com