The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 49
Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 06/1/11 7:59 PM (permalink)
I just wanted to announce that I'm retired now after working my @$$ off since I was 14. I'm 71 now and available for most all road food events, meet and greets, etc, etc. Please let me know what you've got and I'll try my best to be there.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
    Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 06/1/11 8:04 PM (permalink)
    Good for you!   Live long and enjoy eating!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 06/1/11 8:06 PM (permalink)
      I envy you, my friend! But, my day will come!

Sundancer7

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 06/1/11 8:11 PM (permalink)
        Twinwillow:  I am also retired and my age is close to yours.  I have not worked since June of 2010 and to tell you the truth, I miss it.  I have way too much time on my hands.  I try to attend as many RF events that I can.  The last one was the Glee Club event in Raleigh in February and every now and then, some of my RF friends stop in Knoxville or I meet them in other cities.

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 06/1/11 8:13 PM (permalink)
          Thanks, Paul. My biggest fear is twofold. Gaining (more) weight and being bored.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
            Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 06/1/11 8:19 PM (permalink)
            Congratulations buddy !!!!
            We are always welcome to another newbie on the Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour . This yr on Sat Sept 24th .
            I too am retired , at the tender age of 44 , now 46 , busier than when I was working with a 6 yr old and 2 yr old at home .
            I have the City of NY to thank for my generous pension and say a prayer every day that I was able to last twenty yrs through everything as a PO in the NYPD
            God Bless all that have made it to retirement
            Benzee

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Wed, 06/1/11 8:28 PM (permalink)
              And God bless you, Benzee. In my next life, I'm coming back as some sort of government employee!
              And politics aside, Thank goodness for social security and medicare!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 12:13 PM (permalink)
                TwinWillow----I have been retired so long I don't even have a calendar around anymore.  I only remember Sunday of the 7 days because that is special.  But right after Mass I am retired again for another week.

Haven't gained an ounce---actually went from 210 to 200 and have stayed that way without caring.

I find that ----Hobby's, activities, dancing, chasing babes, swimming, Roadfood, doing some design work to keep my hand and brain from forgetting what they used to know, etc---make the days fly by. 

Pretty soon it will be 2011 and another year will have flown by.
                Tempus figits. Have fun TWIN WILLOW, enjoy your retirement.

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 12:21 PM (permalink)
                  Mariner ~ Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I'm encouraged by what you've said.
                  I'd love to "chase babes" but, I'm afraid I wouldn't remember what to do if I actually caught one.
                  I do plan to do some volunteering at a local "no kill" animal shelter.

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
                    Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 4:46 PM (permalink)
                    Twinwillow

And God bless you, Benzee. In my next life, I'm coming back as some sort of government employee!
                    And politics aside, Thank goodness for social security and medicare!

Congratulations on your retirement(s).  And, as one who is still forking out for SS and Medicare, will do so for many years to come, but will in all likelihood never see a dime from it, you're welcome.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
                      Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 5:39 PM (permalink)
                      I may be reading you wrong  but you  certainly sound resentful to me.  I am sure that Twinwillow has paid into SS for   50 years and  well deserves his SS check.  I feel like I deserve mine!

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 5:58 PM (permalink)
                        Greymo

I may be reading you wrong  but you  certainly sound resentful to me.  I am sure that Twinwillow has paid into SS for   50 years and  well deserves his SS check.  I feel like I deserve mine!

Thanks, Greymo. Actually, I've paid into SS for 57 long years! I'm entitled and have no regrets about accepting the money. Look at all the very rich people that don't refuse to accept their Social Security check.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                          Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 6:53 PM (permalink)
                          rjb--don't blame the recipients---look a lot deeper.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                            Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 8:51 PM (permalink)
                            I, too, felt that rjb was a little resentful. I have a good 14 years left until I can even think about ss.I have paid into it since I was 14 and able to work.Good for my friends that get it, and hopefuly its still available when I reach retirement age. Otherwise, I will deal with it then.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                              Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 9:07 PM (permalink)
                              Sundancer7

Twinwillow:  I am also retired and my age is close to yours.  I have not worked since June of 2010 and to tell you the truth, I miss it.  I have way too much time on my hands.  I try to attend as many RF events that I can.  The last one was the Glee Club event in Raleigh in February and every now and then, some of my RF friends stop in Knoxville or I meet them in other cities.

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

Paul,
                              You have to get active and out of the house. I'm retired and can't find the time to do all the things I want to do. Just got home this evening from 65 days on the road covering over 8,000 miles. Now I am way behind on my chores and to do lists.

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                Ann, I don't think rjb was resentful but pessimistic about the future and whether or not SS and MC will be there for him (or, her) as well.

I think all of you have been so kind and encouraging with your words.
                                I thank you all. Sometimes, I think of all of us here as a "second family".
                                I've met many here in person but not enough. I hope the future will change that.

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                  Davydd

Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
                                  Knoxville, TN

Paul,
                                  You have to get active and out of the house. I'm retired and can't find the time to do all the things I want to do. Just got home this evening from 65 days on the road covering over 8,000 miles. Now I am way behind on my chores and to do lists.

8,000 miles. Exactly why I'm thinking of selling my beautiful Jaguar and buying something like a Chevy Volt or Prius. Or, something in that direction. Every time I fill my tank it's another $50.00 plus dollars! I want to get out on the road but I don't want to spend a large portion my limited income making the oil companies rich(er).

Davydd

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                    In that 8,000 plus miles we take our "house" with us. There is more than cost of fuel in traveling though our fill-ups are usually $75 or more to take us 400 mile down the road. Our overnight stay cost is where we save. We probably average about $5 per night from 0 to $35 in range. We also save on food with a full kitchen on board so we eat out while on the road not much more than when we are at home.

Most importantly in two months we visited 6 national parks, 6 national monuments, numerous state parks, museums, arboretums, events, parks, historical homes, caves, migrating sandhill cranes, etc. We rallied with two different groups in Arizona and Illinois with Class B camper vans and I attended my 18 consecutive yearly high school reunion. We met a lot of interesting people in campgrounds around the country. Surprisingly a lot of people on the road fulltime. We stick mostly to the blue highways. Only 6% of our travel is on Interstate highways. We drove the most challenging mountain passes we could find. We even managed to get on the Indianapolis 500 Race Track and cross the famed brick finish line.

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 10:42 PM (permalink)
                                      Looks and sounds, great! What a way to go!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7596
                                        Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 11:11 PM (permalink)
                                        Congratulations on your retirement.

I dream to live Davydd's retirement.

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Thu, 06/2/11 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                          mar52

Congratulations on your retirement.

I dream to live Davydd's retirement.

Thank you.
                                          Yup, Davydd's got it figured out right. I'm envious.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                                            Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 4:04 AM (permalink)
                                            Davydd,
                                            Anxious to read your Trip Report, Especially the AZ-NM portion

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                                              Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 4:08 AM (permalink)
                                              I'll be 71 in Nov and will be working until they put me in the box!
                                              Some bad financial decisions in my life have put me behind the financial 8 ball. I still enjoy life and while painful, have no regrets.

Sundancer7

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 5:35 AM (permalink)
                                                Davydd:  I have the means to travel and actually I do more than I really want to.  I recently bought a Miata MX5 retractable hardtop and belong to a Miata club and they travel somewhere every weekend.  I do some of it with them.

I liked the pic of your RV crossing the brick at Indy and I also noticed who was driving.  Way to go and I sure do like your style.  Incidentally, that is a great looking RV.  I admire your travel spirit.  Personally I have traveled extensively through all 50 states, all of Canada, Most of central America and South America and all of Europe.  The thought of those long flights across the Atlantic really bbores me.  I use to have to do that once a month in to Germany and France.

Actually I do a lot at home like birding gardening, landscaping.  I just planted 30 knockout roses in front of my fence.  They bloom from spring till frost continually.  However enough is enough.  I sincerely want to go back to work and I believe our company will start again soon.  I just get bored doing the home thing.  Just me and my ugly dog

Paul E. Smith
                                                Knoxville, TN

Davydd

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 8:23 AM (permalink)
                                                  Paul,

I'm an architect and in my employment years working for Target Stores I traveled extensively by airplane and rented cars to just about every metropolitan area in the country. Oddly now I skirt the major cities and stick to the country. I also now abhor air travel. Last fall we endured nearly a full day of air travel to get to Rome, Italy and back again. I thought I was done with that but I guess you have to to travel overseas.

Foodbme,

I've slowed down somewhat on roadfood (I'm saying that after eating three pasties in the UP the past two days).    As we get more adept with our travel we do more cooking in. But I did have my first ever Horseshoe, Runza and Sonoran Hot Dog this trip. I had an ambitious agenda for pork tenderloin sandwiches and ended up passing on most. So any trip report would be mostly scenery.

Davydd

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 8:38 AM (permalink)
                                                    If you travel and want to see a variety of plant life I would recommend:

Dow Gardens, Midland, Michigan
                                                    Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, Chaska, MN (near my home)
                                                    Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ
                                                    Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix, AZ

We caught the desert in full bloom in early April in Phoenix and Tucson. Dow Gardens and our own Minnesota Landscape Arboretum are the two best we've been to for trees and flowers.

Our national parks are our national treasures. We travel mostly in the off-season so don't have to put up with the massive summer crowds. Surprisingly there are a lot of national monuments that are actually better than some of our national parks. This trip we searched out some more Ancient Pueblan ruins in Arizona and New Mexico. This fall we are committing ourselves to another Class B RV rally in Texas and then a trip through the Gulf states over to Florida. Hope it is a slow hurricane season, but if so, we can quickly head inland.

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                                      Foodbme

I'll be 71 in Nov and will be working until they put me in the box!
                                                      Some bad financial decisions in my life have put me behind the financial 8 ball. I still enjoy life and while painful, have no regrets.

I feel your pain. I should have been smarter about my own finances when younger. I was actually a millionaire at one time. All gone now. Thinking about a reverse mortgage on my home to help. Buying a hybrid car will help a lot, too.
                                                      If I do that, I think I'll be OK. I'll also keep my (certified) silver appraisal service going. Especially, online with a new website. I only need to do a few a month to make it worthwhile.
                                                      <message edited by Twinwillow on Fri, 06/3/11 9:59 AM>

Twinwillow

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                                        Davydd

Paul,

I'm an architect and in my employment years working for Target Stores I traveled extensively by airplane and rented cars to just about every metropolitan area in the country. Oddly now I skirt the major cities and stick to the country. I also now abhor air travel. Last fall we endured nearly a full day of air travel to get to Rome, Italy and back again. I thought I was done with that but I guess you have to to travel overseas.

Foodbme,

I agree about flying nowadays. I hate it. It took me a little over 24 hours to get to a an olive orchard  "tourismo" in a small town in Italy a few years ago. "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles" all over again.
                                                        And when I do travel by car in the good old USA, it will be strictly on the small roads to slow down, meet the people, and eat the local foods. I HATE INTERSTATE HIGHWAYS!

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
                                                          • Location: Bronxville, NY
                                                          Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                                          Twinwillow

Greymo

Thanks, Greymo. Actually, I've paid into SS for 57 long years! I'm entitled and have no regrets about accepting the money. Look at all the very rich people that don't refuse to accept their Social Security check.

No reason at all you shouldn't take the SS $.  As you rightly point out, you're entitled.  Same with Benzee, who looks to be on track to receive his retirement pay for 2X as many years (or longer, with any luck at all) that he worked.  Those were the deals you signed onto, so enjoy your entitlements.  No resentment here.

I'm entitled too.  So's my neighbor's 22 year old who's just starting out.  We both signed on to the same deal.  The difference is that, unlike you & Benzee, we're highly unlikely (as in NFW) to see any of the money we've paid in over the years.  So in addition to helping to fund your and Bezee's golden years, I and my neighbor's kid need to take total care of our own.  C'est notre vie.

Sundancer7

Re:I'm retired and open to invitations to Roadfood events of any kind. Waddya got? Fri, 06/3/11 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                                            Davydd:   I have been to the Arizona Sonoran zoo-museum several times.  The last time I was there it rained like hell and flooded the flatlands below the museum.  I also saw a rattlesnake in the bird exhibit.  It seemed that it did not worry the birds at all.  I called the attention to the zookeepers and they said that they see them all the time????

I enjoyed your trip with you via pics.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com