The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch?

Author Message
MikeS.

  • Total Posts: 5360
  • Joined: 7/1/2003
  • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
  • Roadfood Insider
I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Thu, 07/3/03 1:53 AM (permalink)
On Sunday the 13th of July 2003, I'll be going from Hagerstown Md on I-70 to Columbus Oh and then on to Cincinatti on I-71. I'd like some recommends for someplace for lunch or dinner.

I'm always looking for great chicken fried steak, tato's and gravy. A good juicy burger with the works is always good too. I'll eat most anything though.

Thanks,

Mike
 
#1
    wanderingjew

    • Total Posts: 7384
    • Joined: 1/18/2001
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Thu, 07/3/03 8:44 AM (permalink)
    In Wheeling WV I would recommend Ziens. Although I've never been there, my coworker who is originally from Wheeling always goes with her husband when she returns to visit family. I understand they have great Pierogies.

    In Columbus Ohio I would recommend Schmidt's Sausage house for German Style Cuisine. They are located in German Village near downtown.

    In Cincinnati, Camp Washington Chili above and beyond anything else.

    Ironically, I will be leaving Hagerstown MD on 7/13 as I am taking a mini baseball trip that weekend to Scranton PA and Hagerstown. If you could provide any recommendations for restaurants in Hagerstown, that would be great!
     
    #2
      mek

      • Total Posts: 123
      • Joined: 4/10/2003
      • Location: Baltimore, MD
      RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Thu, 07/3/03 8:52 AM (permalink)
      MikeSH,

      Hagerstown, MD has one of the best German restaurants in the U.S. It's called Schmankerl Stube and it is on the corner of Antietam and Potomac streets. They are open for lunch and dinner.
      Have a safe trip.
       
      #3
        mek

        • Total Posts: 123
        • Joined: 4/10/2003
        • Location: Baltimore, MD
        RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Thu, 07/3/03 9:33 AM (permalink)
        Wanderingjew and MikeSH,

        Here is the link to Schmankerl Stube's website:
        http://www.schmankerlstube.com/
        I've enjoyed everything I've had there- if you want the pork shank, you have to order it a day in advance.
        Enjoy your journeys.
         
        #4
          Hode

          • Total Posts: 153
          • Joined: 4/1/2002
          • Location: Rochester, NY
          RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Thu, 07/3/03 11:36 AM (permalink)
          One of my favorites is in Hebron Ohio / Clay's Cafe on west main st only about a mile off i-70 , they have a signature burger , great stombolis , pork tenderloin sandwich , pizza , chicken salad, and an ice cream counter.
           
          #5
            signman

            • Total Posts: 1743
            • Joined: 10/23/2000
            • Location: Baltimore, MD
            RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Thu, 07/3/03 10:44 PM (permalink)
            I ate at Ziens in Wheeling last month after reading about it in ROADFOOD. Had a giant plate of chicken with noodles. I was stuffed. Check to see if they are open on Sunday. I would guess they are. The menu has everything. Easy on and off from I-70. I had no trouble finding it after checking mapquest and my AAA map. Keep on 70 do not use 470 bypass.

            If all else fails, after you cross the Ohio river from Wheeling into Ohio, the first exit has every chain restaurant known to man, and there is probably a local place or two hiding there as well.
             
            #6
              MikeS.

              • Total Posts: 5360
              • Joined: 7/1/2003
              • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Sat, 07/5/03 2:25 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by mek

              MikeSH,

              Hagerstown, MD has one of the best German restaurants in the U.S. It's called Schmankerl Stube and it is on the corner of Antietam and Potomac streets. They are open for lunch and dinner.
              Have a safe trip.


              I live about 20 miles S. of Hagerstown in WVa and have heard this place adv. alot on local radio. Even passed it 1 day a couple months ago. I'll have to go there sometime and try it. Problem is Pickky Peggy, aka "The Wife" won't try it with me. So i'm gonna have to go by myself some time. Thanls for posting the link, I never could find them from the radio ad.
               
              #7
                MikeS.

                • Total Posts: 5360
                • Joined: 7/1/2003
                • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Sat, 07/5/03 2:31 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by wanderingjew

                In Wheeling WV I would recommend Ziens. Although I've never been there, my coworker who is originally from Wheeling always goes with her husband when she returns to visit family. I understand they have great Pierogies.

                In Columbus Ohio I would recommend Schmidt's Sausage house for German Style Cuisine. They are located in German Village near downtown.

                In Cincinnati, Camp Washington Chili above and beyond anything else.

                Ironically, I will be leaving Hagerstown MD on 7/13 as I am taking a mini baseball trip that weekend to Scranton PA and Hagerstown. If you could provide any recommendations for restaurants in Hagerstown, that would be great!


                I was in Cincy this same time last year and a friend recommended Camp Washington. I tried Skyline, the other big chain, and CW. CW won hands down! I would eat there Sunday night for dinner but they are closed Sundays. Love that place.

                I think that I'll try to find Ziens. Wheeling is close to half-way. Thank God for the 'net and Google

                As to eating in H'town I don't eat there too much except at the Chain places. We live about 20 miles S. of there and just go to shop some times. Sorry.
                 
                #8
                  MikeS.

                  • Total Posts: 5360
                  • Joined: 7/1/2003
                  • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Sat, 07/5/03 2:35 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by signman

                  I ate at Ziens in Wheeling last month after reading about it in ROADFOOD. Had a giant plate of chicken with noodles. I was stuffed. Check to see if they are open on Sunday. I would guess they are. The menu has everything. Easy on and off from I-70. I had no trouble finding it after checking mapquest and my AAA map. Keep on 70 do not use 470 bypass.

                  If all else fails, after you cross the Ohio river from Wheeling into Ohio, the first exit has every chain restaurant known to man, and there is probably a local place or two hiding there as well.


                  I stopped at one of the chains last year like you mention here. I don't remember which one, food was Ok but no biggie. I do remember driving through a torrentail downpour just as I left the rest. and was crossing into Wheeling. Nasty rain storm.

                  As of right now I plan on looking for Ziens.
                   
                  #9
                    MikeS.

                    • Total Posts: 5360
                    • Joined: 7/1/2003
                    • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Sat, 07/5/03 2:40 AM (permalink)
                    Thanks people. any more??? Ziens has it so far but I'm still looking.
                     
                    #10
                      signman

                      • Total Posts: 1743
                      • Joined: 10/23/2000
                      • Location: Baltimore, MD
                      RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Sat, 07/5/03 12:34 PM (permalink)
                      Mike, Where in WVa are you.
                       
                      #11
                        signman

                        • Total Posts: 1743
                        • Joined: 10/23/2000
                        • Location: Baltimore, MD
                        RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Sun, 07/6/03 11:33 PM (permalink)
                        Ziens is between exits 5A and 2B on I-70 in Wheeling. From the east exit to Rt 40 at exot 5A. This is also the interchange for 470. Stay on 70 and exit to rt. 40. Go up a hill maybe 2 miles or so. Look for Edgington Lane on your right. Turn there and you will find Ziens within 1/4 mile.

                        Return to 70 at exit 2B past Wheeling College. Get a AAA map for Ohio/West Va. It's all very clear there. Enjoy.
                         
                        #12
                          signman

                          • Total Posts: 1743
                          • Joined: 10/23/2000
                          • Location: Baltimore, MD
                          RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Tue, 07/8/03 1:07 AM (permalink)
                           
                          #13
                            MikeS.

                            • Total Posts: 5360
                            • Joined: 7/1/2003
                            • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: I-70 from Md to Columbus Oh, lunch? Sun, 07/13/03 1:33 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by signman

                            Mike, Where in WVa are you.


                            Berkeley County
                             
                            #14
                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                              Jump to:

                              Current active users

                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                              Icon Legend and Permission

                              • New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com